Chiengmai expats, why are some of them so cheap?

Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked my Thai wife what she thought about wealthy Farangs drinking a beer that they don't like just because it's cheap, she kept it simple, "stupid", the staff just laughed.........

From a previous post a couple of weeks ago:

I asked my Thai wife what she thinks of a farang getting angry because he thinks the Thai staff asked him to change tables because he was ugly and she kept it short.......... "Stupid". The staff just laughed.

One would think that someone who claims to possess a "lethal combination of being both smart and articulate", wouldn't really need to recycle trite or overused expressions...

• Like 1

I don't mind if people are thrifty and cheap as long as it is reasonable and they kind of have a good reason.

I don't like wealthy people that wine and complain all the time about prices, and lie threw there teeth all the time about how poor they are.. I like to smack them or spit in their drink when they go to the bathroom, so does the cooks..

I also don't like people that talk about money everytime you mention something..

I also don't like people that you end up hanging with and there quest for the best price at all time leads you pass by something like a taxi, or have bad vibes with a waiter or whatnot as they try to barter people down.

I don't like people that barter down for nice handmade things past what the should be around...

Basicly I can't stand cheap people in general .. the worst type is someone that makes it seem like when there is a financial interest they are paying they get to be a self centered asshople.

C'mon, stop beating about the bush, and tells us what you don't like.

This is about guys who have plenty of money and yet act cheap to the point of drinking in bars they don't like and drinking beers they dislike. Nothing about people living on pensions or being price conscious.

As I brought the cheap charlie in, I usually drink Leo. That's quite ok, Heineken is piss, Chang Export is ok, but not so often available. Haven't found a place to spend more than ~90B for a bottle :). But I'm not going to bars, my lifestyle is rather solid :)

" in N.England "

Geordies & Makums !

What do you expect ?

john

Thats the N.E. of England,if you please.and what pray

tell what have you against Geordies, Makems thats understandable.

Tell me where you are from so I can rubbish you too.

regards Worgeordie

A prime example of this is someone I know who owns rental property in his home country and condos here. Yet he goes around in worn out clothes. I saw him at the bank for a business meeting in shorts and a torn shirt. I don't think that is appropriate in his home country and it is definitely not in Thailand. Strange, particularly considering how cheap clothes are here

20+ years in Chiengmai.

20+ years in Chiangmai, and you still can't spell your hometown's name?

Chiengmai Gymkhana Club was founded in 1898. You would think that after 115 years they would be able to spell the name of the city in which it is located. Maybe you better let the club know about their spelling error.

20+ years in Chiengmai.

There are several ways to spell it in English. A lot of Thais spell it his way.

I guess there always be some ambiguities when translating Thai words into English spelling, but according to this:

"This problem was first addressed by the Royal Institute in 1954. In 1968 a pamphlet entitled ‘Romanization Guide for Thai Script’ was published. It was revised in 1982. The primary purpose was to standardise (standardize) the spelling of place names. The need for this has been emphasised (emphasized) by Major Roy Hudson who once listed over fifty different ways in which Chiang Mai, in the past, was spelt.

The spelling of all vowels and consonants was precisely specified in the Guide. It is Chiang Mai, not Chieng Mai, or Chiangmai."

Chiengmai Gymkhana Club was founded in 1898. You would think that after 115 years they would be able to spell the name of the city in which it is located.

Yeah, well, maybe they need to get with the times. Just because they stuffed up the spelling on their door entrance sign in the late 1800's, does not necessarily mean that modern spelling conventions should be ignored.

I asked my Thai wife what she thought about wealthy Farangs drinking a beer that they don't like just because it's cheap, she kept it simple, "stupid", the staff just laughed.........

I asked my Thai wife what she thinks of a farang getting angry because he thinks the Thai staff asked him to change tables because he was ugly and she kept it short.......... "Stupid". The staff just laughed.

One would think that someone who claims to possess a "lethal combination of being both smart and articulate", wouldn't really need to recycle trite or overused expressions...

If you search hard enough I think you'll find that that was the third, or possibly fourth time I used that phrase. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

20+ years in Chiengmai.

And you need to have been here a while to know that. I prefer that spelling because it more closely matches how the locals pronounce it. If you were a regular at CMFC games you'd know that.

"We cheer for Chiengmai, we cheer for Chiengmai, wo-oh-oh, wo-oh-oh, wo-oh-oh".......

• Like 2

If you search hard enough I think you'll find that that was the third, or possibly fourth time I used that phrase.

It was a funny quote and probably worth repeating..I'd stop now though

• Like 2

20+ years in Chiengmai.

And you need to have been here a while to know that. I prefer that spelling because it more closely matches how the locals pronounce it. If you were a regular at CMFC games you'd know that.

"We cheer for Chiengmai, we cheer for Chiengmai, wo-oh-oh, wo-oh-oh, wo-oh-oh".......

I still have to get myself down to a CMFC game, my son has been asking me for a long time now..do the guys still meet up down the Red Lion before going down there?

I still have to get myself down to a CMFC game, my son has been asking me for a long time now..do the guys still meet up down the Red Lion before going down there?

You're leaving it a little bit late. They play away at Nakorn Sawan tomorrow and the last home game is the week after. They are already promoted so they are now playing to make sure of finishing first. The last game, at home, should be a good crowd so if you're going get there early. A group meets at Red Lion at about 4pm for 6pm kickoff games and there is usually a chance of a ride from one of the guys.

http://chiangmaifootballclub.com/

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

Let me get this straight, some guy who is by his own admission not well off, thinks he knows better than 2 people who are well off enough to retire in a foreign country and own properties in other countries, how they should be spending their money?

Do you advise women on how they should handle their pregnancy and give birth as well, since you seem to be an expert on all things on which you have no direct experience?

Did I say I wasn't well off? Did I say how they should spend their money? If you can quote me on that I'll be surprised.

Very few people here seemed to have got the point. I merely asked if anyone can explain why guys with plenty of money want to drink beers that they don't like in bars that they don't seem to like. I didn't say Archa beer was good, bad or indifferent, I merely quoted them - they don't like it but drink it nonetheless. I also said nothing against being frugal, but most people who are frugal don't buy beer they don't actually like, do they?

I also mentioned that my impression is that they don't act like that back home, they probably order a decent pint in a decent pub. I like the guys but find their behaviour when they are here to be strange and am merely curious as to why it might be. I think you'll find that I didn't say anything bad about them.

Try reading without pre-conceived notions.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I think the OP should not worry about other peoples money or what they drink I know people with plenty of money that when they rent cars will rent the cheapest car they can people that have money don't need to show off..maybe you need to get a life stop worrying about what other do in bars

• Like 1

I think the OP should not worry about other peoples money or what they drink I know people with plenty of money that when they rent cars will rent the cheapest car they can people that have money don't need to show off..maybe you need to get a life stop worrying about what other do in bars

Can you actually read an article and understand it? Where did I day it worries me? Curiosity is not worrying. Attempting to understand unusual behaviour is not worrying. "People with money don't need to show off". That's not what this is about. They don't need to drink beers that they don't like, is what this is about.

"Maybe you should get a life", besides being totally predictable has been used already. I re-explained my post about five times already, the most recent being 45 minutes or two posts ago. Read that post and get back to me with a quote where I said I worry about how other people spend their money or what they drink. What beer you, they or anyone likes is of no concern to me because we all have our own tastes. The notion of someone choosing to drink a beer that they don't actually like is all this is about. Can't you see that?

This topic should be pinned or whatever it is to highlight perfectly how people don't even bother reading a post before commenting and seem to want to read everything with preconceived ideas, usually with the emphasis on assuming the worst.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

People that are doing well and enjoying good lifestyles in their home countries seldom leave to go and live abroad, unless it was going somewhere way upmarket.

I would guess that the main reasons why ex-pats decide to pack up and come to stay for the long term in Chiang Mai is because it`s cheaper to live here. My point being that if in their own countries they could still enjoy a similar lifestyle in decent environments and have the money to do it, than they would have no incentives to move.

Answering the OP`s question, I guess that most of the conversation between those 2 men was mostly BS, just out to impress each other. But as the wise man says; the proof of the pudding is in the eating and it`s easy to tell if some people are as well off as they claim to be by the sorts of lifestyles they lead, what possessions they own and the sorts of properties they live in.

These sorts of people rarely impress me, you know, the guys who like to flash the wades of cash in front of people but if in a restaurant having a meal with them and decided to share the bill, yet believing that they maybe paying 1 baht more over what the other person is paying, would be up in arms about it. I am sure we have all known or know people like that.

People that are doing well and enjoying good lifestyles in their home countries seldom leave to go and live abroad, unless it was going somewhere way upmarket.

I would guess that the main reasons why ex-pats decide to pack up and come to stay for the long term in Chiang Mai is because it`s cheaper to live here. My point being that if in their own countries they could still enjoy a similar lifestyle in decent environments and have the money to do it, than they would have no incentives to move.

Answering the OP`s question, I guess that most of the conversation between those 2 men was mostly BS, just out to impress each other. But as the wise man says; the proof of the pudding is in the eating and it`s easy to tell if some people are as well off as they claim to be by the sorts of lifestyles they lead, what possessions they own and the sorts of properties they live in.

These sorts of people rarely impress me, you know, the guys who like to flash the wades of cash in front of people but if in a restaurant having a meal with them and decided to share the bill, yet believing that they maybe paying 1 baht more over what the other person is paying, would be up in arms about it. I am sure we have all known or know people like that.

while ago, looking around me while waiting for my visa in Vientiane i noticed seated within spitting distance, waiting similarly were two multibillionaires. so they were after at least a two months stay if not longer

Edited by retarded tiny shlong

while ago, looking around me while waiting for my visa in Vientiane i noticed seated within spitting distance, waiting similarly were two multibillionaires. so they were after at least a two months stay if not longer

Perhaps they were in Chiang Mai to buy the city as an investment for their children?

I once saw a multi-billionaire stepping off a plane at Chiang Mai airport. But it transpired he was lost and continued on his way to Saudi Arabia the following evening.

It`s true I tell you.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Not many can afford much younger wives and/or a never ending stream of hookers in their home countries.

(those being the two main reasons for living here)

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Very few people here seemed to have got the point. I merely asked if anyone can explain why guys with plenty of money want to drink beers that they don't like in bars that they don't seem to like. I didn't say Archa beer was good, bad or indifferent, I merely quoted them - they don't like it but drink it nonetheless. I also said nothing against being frugal, but most people who are frugal don't buy beer they don't actually like, do they?

I drink beer I don't like all the time (Rattler rules!).

One of the funny things about Thailand, if you don't drink loads of beer or whiskey, the girls mark you down as a weirdo, and they won't go home with you.

Try it yourself, go into a hooker bar and order an orange juice or soda water, then wait all night while the girls ignore you.

Edited by FiftyTwo