Chiengmai expats, why are some of them so cheap?

Chiengmaijoe

I overheard two local expats the other day talking about buying investment properties in N.England and discussing the ins and outs, local taxes, rental contracts etc. A few minutes later they were discussing local beers and they were bemoaning the fact that Archa beer doesn't seem to be available anymore. Then one of them made the following statement "it tastes like shit, but it's cheap"!

So what happens, after what I reckon to be about a year of living in Chiengmai, to make relatively well off expats make every decision based on price? I reckon that if they go back home for a few weeks they then go back into normal mode and pay for stuff based on their preferences, but slip back into Cheap Charlie mode as soon as they hit Thai soil.

Out of curiosity I asked a couple of working class Thai lads about Archa and they said they tried it once but they stopped drinking it because it was "Mai laam", or in other words, tastes like shit! So if they wouldn't buy it, why do wealthy expats, who also think it's terrible buy it? At a guess, I would say these two guys represent about half of local expats.

By the way, I don't dislike these guys, I'm just curious as to why they change when they live here.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CheapCharlieism is an accquired state of being. A lot like fine scotch whiskey. While these CC's will not invest the money to accquire a Scotch tastebud, they can the CCism bug. It makes them feel like a part of the big boys.Just a manifestion of power to circumvent other (ahem) short commings.

• Like 1

People don't change.

If then were thrifty in farangland then they will be the same here,

If we were negative, positive, grumpy, happy, right or generous then to change is highly unlikely.

I always look for the best deal even on half a kilo of chillies, despite my wealth invested in zinc mines.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

To be honest, Chiengmaijoe, dont know how long you ve been here, but for me ten years. Ten years ago my UK Pound gave me 68 Baht, but for the last four years its been giving me on average 48. Nobodys fault here, blame the bankers and financial institutions worldwide, but compared to how it was and what some of us got used to, lifes been, well, different!

I have by UK standards a very good inflation proofed company pension, and have managed, but a lot of people dont have that and have really struggled, for reasons they had no control over. At least in recent days the internal problems have taken the Pound from 49 to 52. Makes quite a bit of difference to me, and a lot of others too, I guess.

From my experience of UK today and Thailand today, I would say the massive difference in cost isnt the pleasures of life, food, drink etc, where costs now are similar. The massive difference is in utility costs, gas, electric, taxes etc......my bills on my newish house in Chiang Mai average 100 pounds a month....in UK that would hardly cover my gas bill, then there would be water, electricity, telephone, council tax and many other similar items on top!

• Like 1

During the recent beer- tax- shortage- crisis there were times that only Archa was available at the local shop, I found that it tasted like Leo, all the Thai beers taste like the cheap lagers they are so.... sure if I was in the US, I would pay more for a craft beer or decent plonk.

I agree with the OP and have made similar observations of expats who clearly have money (eg. own multiple properties abroad), but are simply too cheap to spend a few hundred baht. It seems like bizarre behavior. My only explanation is that Thailand, simply because it is cheap to live here, attracts such people. Probably they behave the same way at home---misers at home and misers here.

• Like 1

The conversation about Archa caught my attention (I thought is was Archer Beer, but what do I know). Quite a number of years ago I used to join some friends at the local mom & pop store in the early evening and while I am not a beer drinker I would partake in a social beer. I was promised that this Archer (Archa ?) was a great beer. Think is was about 5 or 10 baht cheaper than Singha & Leo. Taste was not that bad but what a headache it gives.bah.gif I will conceed that it took a number of sessions to eventually decline the offer of that brand.

You are right about the brain damage with the stuff..............sad.png

CMJoe - ever consider they were joking? "tastes like shit, but its cheap" - said similar myself, but not meant it - just a joke.

I actually find Archer quite nice as a light beer, and get it from time to time from 7-11. When I go out I drink Leo. I prefer the taste of Chang, but it gives me headaches (and the shits the next day) - can't stand Carlsberg, never have, and Singh also gives my headaches. If I'm feeling a bit rich, I'll have a Pedigree.

• Like 1

At a guess, I would say these two guys represent about half of local expats.

Shows the crowds you mix in then.

thumbsup.gif

My point is that they are nice guys, I've known them quite a while, they have plenty of money but somehow are compelled to eat and drink as cheaply as possible here, but apparently not so when they are back home. They also mentioned drinking in a bar that has a miserable owner and unfriendly staff. Which again they wouldn't do back home, I'm sure. I just find it weird. Is it something in the water that makes them act so strangely here, but not back home.

It seems to me that the people that call others "cheap charlies" are the ones that think they are "well off". The ones that are well off don't call others one thing or another publicly.

is my opinion and experience.

I'm by no means well off, and almost certainly not as well off as these guys, but I don't drink beers that I don't like just because it's cheap, which is exactly what they said. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

People don't change.

If then were thrifty in farangland then they will be the same here,

If we were negative, positive, grumpy, happy, right or generous then to change is highly unlikely.

I always look for the best deal even on half a kilo of chillies, despite my wealth invested in zinc mines.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

Looking for a best deal is wise, but drinking a beer that you don't like the taste of is weird, don't you think? Especially if you can afford to drink the best if you want.

• Like 2

Think you are nosey..............coffee1.gif

That's a valuable contribution. I am nosey, but that doesn't answer the riddle, which is all it is to me.

Just to clarify, do you think I am nosey, or do you want me to think I'm nosey? Or both.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

When I first came to Thailand, I didn't know any better and drank labels I recognized - Heinie, etc. Then I came to learn about beers in Thailand. Interesting.... that Archa is actually one of the best beers in Thailand. Yes, it is cheap(er) than some of thge others; it has MUCH less alchol than say Chang Classic (which is likely the reason most Thai and MANY farang dislike it). Archar; Federbrau... both pretty nice beers (and sure beat the cr** out of Chang Classic.... (or the pi** they call Budweiser, etc...)

• Like 1

It seems to me that the people that call others "cheap charlies" are the ones that think they are "well off". The ones that are well off don't call others one thing or another publicly.

I'm by no means well off, and almost certainly not as well off as these guys, but I don't drink beers that I don't like just because it's cheap, which is exactly what they said.

I apologize.... There should have been added that "in general" ... obviously not everyone would fit into the first statement. I was not pointing the statement at you directly either.

Not to make an excuse, but that post was done on my phone and as you can see in the 2d paragraph, I am missing part of what I wanted to post.

Again, my apologies if it offended you personally. Most of the people that talk about "cheap charlies" on the CM section of TV would fit into that first statement "in my opinion".

CMJoe - ever consider they were joking? "tastes like shit, but its cheap" - said similar myself, but not meant it - just a joke.

I actually find Archer quite nice as a light beer, and get it from time to time from 7-11. When I go out I drink Leo. I prefer the taste of Chang, but it gives me headaches (and the shits the next day) - can't stand Carlsberg, never have, and Singh also gives my headaches. If I'm feeling a bit rich, I'll have a Pedigree.

Wolfie, plenty of other examples of their frugality that make me think they weren't joking.

Where do you get Pedigree?

I'm by no means well off, and almost certainly not as well off as these guys, but I don't drink beers that I don't like just because it's cheap, which is exactly what they said.
I apologize.... There should have been added that "in general" ... obviously not everyone would fit into the first statement. I was not pointing the statement at you directly either.

Not to make an excuse, but that post was done on my phone and as you can see in the 2d paragraph, I am missing part of what I wanted to post.

Again, my apologies if it offended you personally. Most of the people that talk about "cheap charlies" on the CM section of TV would fit into that first statement "in my opinion".

No offence taken. I find it hard to be offended, but only because I know myself so well and more than likely agree with most judgements cast in my direction.

Wolfie, plenty of other examples of their frugality that make me think they weren't joking.

Where do you get Pedigree?

Bottles - Dog and Bone - Hang Dong CM (think its about 120b a small bottle - only size)

• Like 1

You have to understand different cultures to explain this phenomenon.Those of an English background get great enjoyment of complaining about all and sundry and it actually brings them great enjoyment and a sense of tranquility. Discussion of the falling value of the pound, and the reasons for it, takes up a lot of their time

Americans feel that they are a master race possibly because every President has always told them they live in "the greatest country in the world" this is usually when they looking at reasons to invade another country.They crave for things they had back home but don't want to live there at any cost.

Us Aussies well we have evolved from convict stock and have done the hard yards and are as close to being perfect as one can be and we will drink anything as long as its cheap. We created "happy hours" and wine casks many years ago.

And unlike many other nationalities you have the endearing trait of laughing at yourself. Nice one!

• Like 2

Is it really true that 'so many' are cheap charlies? I challenge this point.

Are the vast majority of retired foreigners all rich? I challenge this point also?

Are there quite a few foreigners who are not rich and do have to be a bit careful to ensure they can 'make it', longer-term. I suspect this would be quite true.

Are there some retirees who do in reality have pretty strong financial resources, but at retirement day they instantly went into cheap charlie mode because they had instantly started to fear they would run out of funds. A long-term friend who is a highly experiences pensions actuary for a very large global high profile life assurance company mentioned this phenomena quite a while back. he says it's well researched and is quite common.

But for Australians, well beer does have priority.

• Like 1