Thai govt urgently selling rice to fill state coffers

webfact

Govt urgently selling rice to fill state coffers
By English News

13856898336306.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 29 – The Commerce Ministry is speeding up rice sales to exporters and the private sector to earn and return at least Bt12.3 billion to the national coffers.

Surasak Riangkrul, Foreign Trade Department director general, said the Rice Release Subcommittee has approved the sales of 615,000 tonnes of rice from the 2011/12 and 2012/13 crops.

The rice to be sold under the subsidy programme include 100 per cent, second grade, Hom Mali rice, 5 per cent white glutinous rice, 10 per cent broken-milled rice, and A-1 white broken-milled rice.

CP Rice, Asia Golden Rice, Capital Cereals, Royal Richy Rice and an unnamed joint export group are some of the exporters to buy rice from the Commerce Ministry.

Mr Surasak said the rice sales will enable the Commerce Ministry to pay Bt30 billion to the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives in the final quarter of the year.

He said Thailand’s rice exports will be higher in Q4 due to the government’s rice release from its stockpiles, government-to-government rice sales and domestic sales to the private sector.

He predicted a rosy trend for Thai rice exports next year when at least eight million tonnes of rice, at a total value of US$4.4 billion, will be exported at an average price of US$600/tonne.

Thailand exported 5.68 million tonnes of rice for US$3.817 billion (Bt114.77 billion) from January 1 to November 20 this year – a drop from the corresponding period last year when rice exports reached 6.22 million tonnes, he said.

The Commerce Ministry forecast this year’s rice exports at 8.5 million tonnes for $5.7 billion (Bt171.3 billion) overall. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-29

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the rush, I thought the 2 trillion "slush fund" had been approved by the red elite and senate. Everybody's pockets will be full to bursting so no need to fanny around making themselves look silly by trying to export spoiled overpriced grain, although reading about these invisible secret deals are always good for a chuckle.

• Like 1

>>He predicted a rosy trend for Thai rice exports next year when at least eight million tonnes of rice, at a total value of US$4.4 billion, will be exported at an average price of US$600/tonne.

I'm predicting the above prediction won't be correct.

Yes but isn't that still above the quoted price for rice on the commodities market, Also below what they have paid for it?

• Like 1

>>He predicted a rosy trend for Thai rice exports next year when at least eight million tonnes of rice, at a total value of US$4.4 billion, will be exported at an average price of US$600/tonne.

I'm predicting the above prediction won't be correct.

Yes but isn't that still above the quoted price for rice on the commodities market, Also below what they have paid for it?

Yes and Yes.

FIRE SALE! fire sale!

Surasak Riangkrul, Foreign Trade Department director general, said the Rice Release Subcommittee has approved the sales of 615,000 tonnes of rice from the 2011/12 and 2012/13 crops.

Edited by waza

What's the rush, I thought the 2 trillion "slush fund" had been approved by the red elite and senate. Everybody's pockets will be full to bursting so no need to fanny around making themselves look silly by trying to export spoiled overpriced grain, although reading about these invisible secret deals are always good for a chuckle.

Oh really! I think we are all getting very tired of negative comments. Why don't the doubtful crawl back under the slimy rock that they came out of.

Yes really and some of us are fed up with those totally brainwashed who seem to be blind to Taksin and his cronies looting and pillage of this country and using it as their own fiefdom.

• Like 1

The Thai Commerce ministry has declared several potential sales of rice over the past year, quoting tons involved and money the sale would raise. Every single one has proved to be wishful thinking. This is similar to the proposed government bond sales to raise capital.

The potential bidders/buyers know better than the Government mouth pieces, what the world rice and bond marketis. International marketing does not seem to be a strong point of this governmentas buyer vs sellers (bull/bear) market seem to have escaped them.

It appears the 'foreign trade department' has taken the rice sales baton from Commerce and Finance Ministeries as they have proven to be unreliable on virtuall all of their press releases. By the looks of this press release, it has followed the BS pattern already firmly established.

• Like 1

Oh really! I think we are all getting very tired of negative comments. Why don't the doubtful crawl back under the slimy rock that they came out of.

Go ahead, no one here stopping you from doing so.wai.gif

I'm sure one of these days we'll get the latest, most reliable guestimates from the MoC, or some other high level M(oron) to clarify that of 2011/2013 660 billion Baht spent Thailand made a huge profits, cornered the market again apart from having all rice farmers rich of course.

BTW if I remember correctly the government already returned about 200 billion to the BAAC before lending another handfull. Will sales be from the 2011/2012, 2012/2013 or from the 2013/12014 season? Did we already manage to get rid of the pre-2011 stock? Some was to be sold as animal fodder, but interest seemed somewhat disappointing.

"Mr Surasak said the rice sales will enable the Commerce Ministry to pay Bt30 billion to the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives in the final quarter of the year."

Too little, to late, BAAC is already failing to pay people on-time, remember the bank telling farmers recently that they would have to wait an extra 45-days, and the new rice-harvest is currently underway, they need a couple-of-hundred billion right now ! blink.png

The stated 12.3 billion baht is a drop in the ocean ! facepalm.gif

Edited by Ricardo

For all the pessimists I point out that Thailand is still the largest Rice Exporter in the word by tonnage, including this year, and will most likely be so in 2014. I suspect that this government is good for Thailand even though unpopular with the minority.

• Like 1

Largest in tonnage? Didn't India reach upto 8.5 million tonne in 2012 with Thailand only 6.22 million according to Surasak Riangkrul, Foreign Trade Department director general?

5.68 million tonnes from 2013-01-01 till 2013-11-20?

I suspect the government will soon finally admit that out of 660 billion spent for the 2011/2013 seasons, possibly a minor part may not have reached poor farmers, most likely because of the need to finance storage. Now that's good for Thailand, just like the lighting of a fuse by trying to push through a 'blanket amnesty bill'. Not very popular with a majority it would seem.

For all the pessimists I point out that Thailand is still the largest Rice Exporter in the word by tonnage, including this year, and will most likely be so in 2014. I suspect that this government is good for Thailand even though unpopular with the minority.