Cbr650f or cbr1000r or ducati hypermotard/strada?

ll2

I am totally confused nowadays on which bike i want to buy!

Was not expecting that many choices with that good new prices.

My plan for months was buying a cbr650 but then ducati started to offer hypermotard ans hyperstrada and today honda decreased the price of cbr1000rr to a reasonable 630 k, 250 k down!

I 90 percent ride in bangkok hell traffic but go for touring as well.

Can ride any bike. Had a cbr600r before as well.

Cbr650f is a safe choice. Looks boring a bit but feels good. A lot comfy seat and ergonomics are do it all type. 87 hp is enough for thailand and in real world, it will perform the best.

Cbr1000r is the sport flagship of honda. Great bike. Great quality. A masterpiece. And 1000cc with 300 kph top speed. But in real world, ergonomics might be tiring and that much power will be wasted in thailand so do fuel.

Ducati hypermotard/strada is the best looking of all. When i look at it, my heart starts to beat harder!

Especially hyperstrada is a very flexible bike with panniers and touring/commuting add ons.

And ducati means prestige. I am working as a managing director so prestige is needed for me and no one can tell me : why dont you have car?

Also it rides very good.

But nearly same price with cbr1000rr now!

I am also planning to get a condo as had a nice connection and can get a 32 squaremet condo flat near my office for 650 k.

So it means, i can get a condo and honda cbr650f for the money - 630 k - i pay for cbr1000rr or ducati hyperstrada - 550 k - too!

So guys, what do you think?

Help this fellow rider on his hard quest of getting a nice bike.

Which one do you choose?

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your valuable comments.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90% of your riding is in Bangkok. All these bikes are too big.

I know it is not what you wanted to hear but you did ask for opinions.

If you are concerned about your image as an MD, then Thais expect MD's to have 4 wheels but farangs are allowed and perhaps expected to be 'different'.

I will end there. Others will have very different views to mine.

All opinions welcome briggsy.

I prefer to hear comments that will not be pleasing me more than the ones that will be please me!

My heart beat very strongly when I see the Hyperstrada and even more when I tested it, that bike is sooo fun to ride and it sounds very good too.

I once owned a Suzuki 600 gxx something back in 199x in Denmark, I bought it from new, sold it 2 month later, no heart beat.

Then I bough a app. 10 year old Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans2 and my heart started to beat again.

I don't have any use for a Hyperstrada at all, I got a kid now so when we go on holiday it's in the truck man but still I think I gonna buy that Duke and wait with the golf.

Why bloody hell not, I work hard in the off-shore industry 6 month a year so I think I should have a nice toy when I am home, he-he.

Big boys toys cost big $$$, that is just the way it is, you can try fight it or give in. I normally choose to give in, lol.

• Like 2

either except the cbr1000 which is essentially a track bike with lights.... would break your heart in Bkk traffic and not great for touring either.... would also consider getting a scooter for everyday use ... just when you don't feel like pulling out the big bike in the morning or you want to pop down to the local 7/11 to get some beers !!

Honda 500 - is that what you have now? - is probably the best for BKK traffic.

Hyperstrada will make a great tourer, I think. Hypermotard is mine, don't even think about her, hahaha! Yeah, that's the emotional one smile.png

I tried sports mode today, it's pure madness.

I'd probably get a CBR650f or CB650f if I didn't have the Hyper.

Edited by nikster

Get the Honda if being sensible makes sense or get the Ducati if not.

I am actually in the same position. I really wanted a hyperstrada or multistrada and was happy with that - everyone should be able to own a Ducati once in their lives I reckon - but this CB 650 has got me thinking....I really like the red, white and blue with the gold wheels, nice retro colour for Honda.

I have a Triumph Thruxton and was going to sell it to help pay for the Ducati but with the honda I can afford to keep it which may be nice. Have a "showy" kind of bike that I am customising and the Honda to go out with the boys and not have to care about it getting nicked, riding in the rain, dirt etc and cheap parts if I drop it.

Now I have seen the 2014 Monster and am liking that a lot. I have always liked monsters and this new one is very nice.

I really like the Thruxton but don't do a lot of long miles on it, it would be nice to get out there more and tour a bit.

Finally, we have a solid choice of bikes in Thailand!

Get yourself the CB650, then invest on the condo, Real estate always go up, you can rent it as well. then in the future you can get the Ducati you like. Im sure the resell value of the CB650 will be very good for a long time...

• Like 1

You often buy a bike with your heart , not your head. The Ducati excites you. You wont go wrong with it , and the thrill and smile it will give you , is priceless. None of these bikes are perfect for Bangkok traffic - keep your run-about for this. RE Honda dropping their price £5,000 / ($8,000) shows just how much their (average quality )products are grossly over-priced !!. People have choice and information nowadays that wasnt available just a few years ago , and arent blindly buying Honda because thats what their dads did. Honda are loosing credibility and sales and re-sale values are dropping. Can you imagine having bought a CBR 1000 and now finding its value has just crashed by £5,000 - gutted !!. Too much risk buying a Honda. Ducati wont drop their price like this as the products are excellent quality , and correctly priced in the first place.

Ducati wont drop their price like this as the products are excellent quality , and correctly priced in the first place.

The Ducati Monster 796 Corse Stripe many here are excited about this year is now 449k.... Less than a year ago it was 680k

That is 231k off in less than a year

They are all dropping prices which is good for consumers.

Due to improved taxation/trade agreements or being

manufactured in Thailand. But many are just also due to waking up to the reality that

customers were not ignorant that prices here were excessive.

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

keep your cbr500 and buy a larger condo. You don't want to come home to a shoebox everyday.

I have a house here pokerkid.

In that case take a testride on all 3 models . These bikes are so different that You can not make a proper decision without taking a testride.After that making a decision should be easy.

Does the new condo has secure parking ?

Edited by pokerkid
  • Like 1

OP i agree with your personal opinion and statements regarding to the 650f, 1000 and the Ducatis. A sportbike looks cool and great but the ergonomics and design wouldn't make it ideal for city commuting. Then you have the two models of Ducati. Whichever you choose you have said that

1.it makes your heart beat harder

2.you need prestige

3.much more flexible bikes and easier to ride in the city everyday

4.its price is almost the same as the cbr1000..it's not that much for a Ducati

So basically you already know which bike you want so go for it!

Good luck

• Like 1

The OP stated elsewhere he has paid a deposit on a Honda 650 so my money is on that. Anyone could start a thread about what bike they'd like to own but I don't see the point if they paid a deposit already and two of the three are just wishful thinking. I'll probably get a Z800 next but would like a Panigale 899 or BMW HP4 :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2 hondas doesnt really make sense especially similar model cbr500 - cbr650. If you have 2 bikes they should be diffrent; purpuse wise or engine wise. So if you get the honda you should sell your current one. If not keep the cbr500 for the city and get an additional fun bike which would be the cbr1000 or Hyperstrada.

2 hondas doesnt really make sense especially similar model cbr500 - cbr650. If you have 2 bikes they should be diffrent; purpuse wise or engine wise. So if you get the honda you should sell your current one. If not keep the cbr500 for the city and get an additional fun bike which would be the cbr1000 or Hyperstrada.

II2 is like a small boy in a toy shop, he can't choosebiggrin.png

He remind me of my 4 year old son, he-he. clap2.gif

• Like 2

keep your cbr500 and buy a larger condo. You don't want to come home to a shoebox everyday.

I have a house here pokerkid.

In that case take a testride on all 3 models . These bikes are so different that You can not make a proper decision without taking a testride.After that making a decision should be easy.

Does the new condo has secure parking ?

That condo is for investment as have already a house with a gated garden. It is a mid class high rise with parking, swimming pool etc. Also i have houses back home so no worries about my properties.

The thing is their offer is for a short time and dont want to miss it as they give it very very cheap due to a connection.

The OP stated elsewhere he has paid a deposit on a Honda 650 so my money is on that. Anyone could start a thread about what bike they'd like to own but I don't see the point if they paid a deposit already and two of the three are just wishful thinking. I'll probably get a Z800 next but would like a Panigale 899 or BMW HP4 :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Deposit is paid for cbr650f as 20 people booked the bike already and this weekend they expect a lot so if i dont want to wait 6 months if i choose to buy it. I can get my deposit back for ducati or change it for cbr1000rr, no problems with that.

If i buy cbr650f or hyperstrada, i will sell my cbr500r but sure and if i buy cbr1000rr, i think i ll not be using cbr500r too so probably will sell it anyway it looks like.

Honda guys said, around january they will announce a trade in campaign they said 20 % less than the actual price of cbr500r which is good enough for me as dont like the hassle of selling a bike - or something - in thailand.

Edited by ll2

guys, i was at motor expo again yesterday.

removed cbr1000rr from my list. it is too much for Bangkok and possibly for Thailand. besides not cheap at 630 k and derestriction factor is also making me off as it sounds like an adventure even if the guys swear!

also removed hyperstrada from the list and keeping only hypermotard from Ducati. the ground clearance of hyperstrada is very very low and need that extra travel from hypermotard suspension departments.

so, now 499 k Ducati Hypermotard or 300 k honda cbr650f. Will get the condo anyway.

cbr650f is growing on me. It is a compact bike nearly the same size and wheelbase of cbr500r and center or gravity is very low so nearly i think will feel nearly the same in traffic although it is 15 kgs more than cbr500r.

have long time to decide now once cbr1000rr is off the list.

Edited by ll2

guys, i was at motor expo again yesterday.

removed cbr1000rr from my list. it is too much for Bangkok and possibly for Thailand. besides not cheap at 630 k and derestriction factor is also making me off as it sounds like an adventure even if the guys swear!

also removed hyperstrada from the list and keeping only hypermotard from Ducati. the ground clearance of hyperstrada is very very low and need that extra travel from hypermotard suspension departments.

so, now 499 k Ducati Hypermotard or 300 k honda cbr650f. Will get the condo anyway.

cbr650f is growing on me. It is a compact bike nearly the same size and wheelbase of cbr500r and center or gravity is very low so nearly i think will feel nearly the same in traffic although it is 15 kgs more than cbr500r.

have long time to decide now once cbr1000rr is off the list.

hehe IL2 i told you before go for the Hypermotard!! Keep your cbr500 for the city and you are fine. just follow your heart man :P