can ATM be wrong?

susanschwaiger

Hmmmmmmm, I really feel awkward to ask... but am feeling so puzzled.

I took out 20K baht from K-Bank ATM (outside a Family Mart) this afternoon. All 1000 baht notes. But I did not count at that time.

All these notes were put in a plastic bag with some other stuff. After arriving home, I just put the bag on table and left home again.

In the evening, I counted the money and only 19 notes ....... I wouldn't think our maid has taken it. But where has that 1000 baht note gone ........

Well there was a scam going a couple of yrs ago in Pattaya, where the guys that top up the ATM machines were in fact robbing them and were caught.

They would load the machines and fold a Bt1000 note in half and if you were the unlucky person that wanted, say Bt10,000 out the ATM. It would count 10,000 but as one was folded, you only got 9,000. Not knowing anything about how the ATM's count the cash out, I can only go on this report or your maid knocked it off.

Happened to me twice in Australia. Took $300 in $20 notes. I counted and only had $280. Another time same thing but with different amount.

Next morning contacted the bank and both times within 48 hours the missing funds were credited back into my account.

It happens quite often, so the bank informed me.

Well there was a scam going a couple of yrs ago in Pattaya, where the guys that top up the ATM machines were in fact robbing them and were caught.

They would load the machines and fold a Bt1000 note in half and if you were the unlucky person that wanted, say Bt10,000 out the ATM. It would count 10,000 but as one was folded, you only got 9,000. Not knowing anything about how the ATM's count the cash out, I can only go on this report or your maid knocked it off.

BS - as an ex bank employee responsible for loading and reconciling ATM's, I can tell you that is urban legend. ATM discrepancies occur in something like 0.01% of transactions. The biggest drama is if a cassette of 500's is loaded as 1,000's, and even that's rather hard to do these days - plus they'd have multiple (and very quick) complaints at the bank.

Somebody took your 1,000 baht note, or you're in the 0.01% margin of error.

1 in 10,000 seems small, but given the number of ATM transactions there must be that's actually a hell of a lot of errors - I wonder how many of them, if any, are over-payments?

A while back my wife tried a withdrawal with my ATM card at a local bank here in the village. The ATM never completed the transaction so she canceled it out and went to another bank. Both withdrawals showed up at my bank. After a small amount of runaround by the local bank they determined that "the ATM had made a mistake" and gave her the cash.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app