My wifes Thai Birth Certificate got rejected

Hello folks, I'm at a standstill in my wife's visa application to the U.S. The NVC in the U.S. have rejected her thai birth certificate as not original or not a certified copy. We went back to the Amphur to fix the issue and they gave her the same type of copy out of a book. It's exactly the same as the one that got rejected as not being original. The official at the Amphur said it was the only birth certificate that can be produced for her. The following from the email from the NVC. Has anyone else encountered this problem ?

3 - BIRTH CERTIFICATE:_______________________________________
The document you submitted is not an original or certified copy of an original issued by the appropriate
government authority. The document must be an original, or a certified copy of the original, bearing the
original seal or stamp from the issuing authority.
[TNT 11/29/2013]
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you had the first one translated to Thai. But did you have the translation certified by the MFA? If you have the original translation with MFA certification you could have a certified copy done at the embassy. I would think that would be enough.

I'm not sure what type of visa you are applying for, but I'll assume it's CR-1 or IR-1 since you mentioned NVC. My wife didn't have a birth certificate at all when we went through the NVC process. She got a letter similar to yours for NVC from the Amphur and they accepted it. It MUST be an original from the Amphur with an English translation. NVC will not accept copies of the birth certificate or the police clearance. PM me if you like, an I'll send you what we used for NVC as proof of birth. See here for more guidance:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9660

Birth Certificates

Available. The issuance of birth certificates in Thailand began in Bangkok in 1917. Records of birth are often lacking for people born in Bangkok before World War II and for those born in other areas of the country up until the 1970s. Birth Certificates are issued by "Amphur," (geographic subdivision roughly equivalent to a county in the U.S.) district authorities having jurisdiction over the place of birth. There may be a fee for this service.

A Thai citizen older than 15 and born in Thailand, whose birth was not registered, must present in its stead a household registration, together with a Thai national identity card ("bat prachachon"), and may also be required to submit additional proof of the claimed relationship.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem .NVC told me I have to get my certified copy of my birth certificate at Ampher but where is that and anyone can give me the sample of the right certified copy of birth certificate and the address to ask for in Thailand . This is 2nd times they told me its not the one they want and noone give me the right information I was cry and really unhappy with this. pls help thank you

I have the same problem .NVC told me I have to get my certified copy of my birth certificate at Ampher but where is that and anyone can give me the sample of the right certified copy of birth certificate and the address to ask for in Thailand . This is 2nd times they told me its not the one they want and noone give me the right information I was cry and really unhappy with this. pls help thank you

There are Amphoes all over the country. They are the district offices. In order to get a certified copy it would need to be done where your birth was registered.

The Amphoe where your birth was registered is on your birth certificate.

Contact info for Amphoes can be found here: http://www.amphoe.com/main.php

I went with my thai wife to where her birth is registered. They made a copy and date-stamped it and signed it. That makes it a certified copy. If that doesn't work? Then u should call NVC and tell them that they have what they will get from u, and mow to do their job of forwarding the materials onward. They only collect the info. They are not at liberty to make decisions about what is available unless it is a uniform issue that applies to everyone. I think an idiot at NVC came across your paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There are Amphoes all over the country. They are the district offices. In order to get a certified copy it would need to be done where your birth was registered.

My wife actually got hers from an Amphur in Chiang Mai even though she was born in Si Saket, and NVC accepted it. My wife's birth was never registered that I know of. They issued a document in Thai that I had translated into English and sent to NVC. This is what it says:

This is to certify the Mrs. (First Name/Last Name) Thai Nationality aged (age) years was born on (BirthDate). Identification No. (Thai ID number) residing at (Chiang Mai Address) Father's name (Father's name) Thai nationality (Mother's name) Thai nationality born at (Full Address Amphur Tambon etc. in SiSaket)

The District Office has examined the document, interrogated the applicant and the witnesses , it can be assured that Mrs. (First Name/Last Name) was born at the place above.

NVC accepted this with no issues. Keep in mind everything MUST be an original when dealing with NVC.

• Like 2

With some help from another member that had the same problem we finally resolved this issue. What my wife had to do was go to her local amphur with 2 witnesses(1 must be family), her national ID, her house registration, and the photocopied birth record that the NVC kept rejecting. The amphur then created an official document with stamp certifying her birth record is original. While she was obtaining this I contacted the NVC and told them she would bring this document to her interview at the embassy. After a 10 day wait the NVC finally emailed us back stating they had forwarded our case to the Bangkok Embassy and gave us a visa interview date with instructions to bring the missing document to the interview.

Hopefully this will help out. It sure did for me.

• Like 1

. While she was obtaining this I contacted the NVC and told them she would bring this document to her interview at the embassy. After a 10 day wait the NVC finally emailed us back stating they had forwarded our case to the Bangkok Embassy and gave us a visa interview date with instructions to bring the missing document to the interview.

That's good NVC let you do that. Saved alot of postal charges etc. I'm sure. NVC is usually pretty good to deal with, unlike USCIS.

I call Amphur and talk to the highest position person who in chart. she told me i will not able to get my certified copy birth certificate from Amphur because i was not born in Amphur area. I told NVC but they don t care they said i have to get my certified copy birth certificate from Amphur no matter what. and with my C1 visa I can not go back to Thailand right now until all my document is complete. My husband fly to Thailand try to help me get my document done but seem like not gonna work. I am very depress and sad. nobody know anything.I call 4 lawyer in thailand noblody can help me. I am so tried to deal with all this , also because i was born too early i can not go to chiangmai Amphur office to get it done they do not have my record in the computer,,,,, pls help

i wrote the letter to NVC about Thai law that I only can get my certified birth certificate from where i born but not Ampher .they review my letter and close my case . its like a miracle now i got my interview date in thailand next month. wonderful

• Like 1

i wrote the letter to NVC about Thai law that I only can get my certified birth certificate from where i born but not Ampher .they review my letter and close my case . its like a miracle now i got my interview date in thailand next month. wonderful

Congratulations. All you need now is your medical and the interview. Make sure you bring lots of pictures of you together. The BKK embassy likes to see pictures more than anything as relationship evidence.

• 4 months later...

My wife actually got hers from an Amphur in Chiang Mai even though she was born in Si Saket, and NVC accepted it. My wife's birth was never registered that I know of. They issued a document in Thai that I had translated into English and sent to NVC. This is what it says:

This is to certify the Mrs. (First Name/Last Name) Thai Nationality aged (age) years was born on (BirthDate). Identification No. (Thai ID number) residing at (Chiang Mai Address) Father's name (Father's name) Thai nationality (Mother's name) Thai nationality born at (Full Address Amphur Tambon etc. in SiSaket)

The District Office has examined the document, interrogated the applicant and the witnesses , it can be assured that Mrs. (First Name/Last Name) was born at the place above.

NVC accepted this with no issues. Keep in mind everything MUST be an original when dealing with NVC.

I wonder if there is a chance I can get this done in a Bangkok Amphur. I suppose I will try it (now) before anyone has a chance to reply. My wife does not have a registered birthplace either, as far as I know.

Well, I just tried to get a certificate of birthplace in this fashion at the local amphur, and got rejected. I have no idea how you guys pull some of this stuff off, I never have luck like that. Maybe yall have nice smiles or something. We are now compelled to go way out into the cut to get this document. My wife does not travel well on buses either - there goes another 6 or 7 thousand baht down the tubes for nothing.

Edited by isawasnake

Well, I just tried to get a certificate of birthplace in this fashion at the local amphur, and got rejected. I have no idea how you guys pull some of this stuff off, I never have luck like that. Maybe yall have nice smiles or something. We are now compelled to go way out into the cut to get this document. My wife does not travel well on buses either - there goes another 6 or 7 thousand baht down the tubes for nothing.

My wife was just rejected today at the Sakon Nakhon office. They said they only keep records for 10 years and then purge them. Sounds like complete BS to me. In any case, we are going to her local Amphoe office (also in Sakon Nakhon province) to try there since that is where her birth was actually registered.

My wife was just rejected today at the Sakon Nakhon office. They said they only keep records for 10 years and then purge them. Sounds like complete BS to me. In any case, we are going to her local Amphoe office (also in Sakon Nakhon province) to try there since that is where her birth was actually registered.

That makes no sense at all. I guess they don't expect the residents in that Amphur to live longer than 10 years. Thai logic. Gotta love it.

• 7 months later...

this is great info but i wonder if there is any chance you can post the original thai version (with details blocked out), i think that would help people like me who are in the same spot.

reading other posts, it sounds like a lot of amphur's are less than cooperative. i think having a sample doc might help

i did PM you too about it

thx steve

Edited by stevehaigh