Different airline standards regarding business class travel

nonthaburial

I would very much appreciate feedback and comments from those who have recently travelled to Europe in business class.

Although resident in China, I guess airline long haul flight cabins are pretty much the same whether it's to

Europe from Bangkok, Hong Kong or wherever.

Let me put my thoughts forward for your good selves to comment on or rip apart. I will be flying to London Heathrow from Hong Kong early January, realising that this time of the year is busy, I have asked my travel agent for quotes, well these quotes, for the same product, I.e. Business class vary widely, from 46,000 HKD to 29,000. Now I fully understand that non stop routes are more expensive, however, the more practical prices are from European carriers such as Lufthansa, KLM, Finnair etc. The next price level are the Middle East carriers with the most expensive being Cathay and the likes.

So, has anyone flown the European carriers as mentioned, and if so I would appreciate your comments, on comfort levels, food etc. Just to start it off, I have done a lot of google searches and without doubt, KLM comes in for a huge battering, old seats, shabby, seats that are not lie flat.

Over to you.

Just been to BKK and back on Finnair. The cost was excellent (GBP 1400). Service very good and it was a decent business class experience.

Only problem was that going out was an older aircraft so no flat bed. Was ok on way back.

Definitely value for money.

Just been to BKK and back on Finnair. The cost was excellent (GBP 1400). Service very good and it was a decent business class experience.

Only problem was that going out was an older aircraft so no flat bed. Was ok on way back.

Definitely value for money.

Thanks Johnnyy, Finnair is a strong possibility, however again it's interesting that even they have two different standards on two different aircraft.

Wow rich guys here. It's good that you guys can splash that much money for a nice comfortable seat unlike those poor sods in cattle class and it's to europe so there is a bit of a distance to cover. You guys probably stay in 5 star places too.

Yeh, why not............intheclub.gif

• Like 1

Wow rich guys here. It's good that you guys can splash that much money for a nice comfortable seat unlike those poor sods in cattle class and it's to europe so there is a bit of a distance to cover. You guys probably stay in 5 star places too.

Is that a hint of jealousy I detect in your post...

If there was no demand for 1st class. buisness class etc then the airlines would'nt make the seats, cabins and space available..

If you have never flown 1st class maybe due to lack of funds then may I say you save up and try it one day, it's quite nice sitting on the runway before take off being offered champagne and other things, It's nice to have a bed or fully reclining chair you can sleep on if you so wish, it's nice getting a drink when you want one and not having to wait for ages like you have to sometimes in cattle class, it's nice to be able to eat food when you want and have a better choice..

If you have the money to spend on a better class of travel then why not, having flown in both economy and first and buisness classes, I know which one I prefer and it's certainly not economy as a first choice...

• Like 2

I recently used Etihad and will never use them again. They pack you in to business class like sardines in the tin. There are twice as many seats in business class than any other airline I have flown with. Each seat is in a little box thing of its own, and is as narrow as those in economy, they have thin unpadded arm rests which dig at you if you dare to move, yes they are flat beds. There are a few seats side by side if you happen to be travelling with someone.

Having said all of that, the cabin crew were excellent and very customer focussed, the service and food was as good as any. Nevertheless I will go back to using Qatar as IMHO they are the best.

• Like 1

I came to LHR by Thai airways today, the business class was more like premium economy. Seats do not recline fully, service not so great. But should add that the flight took off almost at 0120hrs, so i just had a glass of wine and went to sleep. Fly frequently on business and first class to Europe by various airlines, qatar airlines would rate the best. Brand new planes with full flat bed seats, very good service, excellent selection of food and wine.

• Like 1

I recently used Etihad and will never use them again. They pack you in to business class like sardines in the tin. There are twice as many seats in business class than any other airline I have flown with. Each seat is in a little box thing of its own, and is as narrow as those in economy, they have thin unpadded arm rests which dig at you if you dare to move, yes they are flat beds. There are a few seats side by side if you happen to be travelling with someone.

Having said all of that, the cabin crew were excellent and very customer focussed, the service and food was as good as any. Nevertheless I will go back to using Qatar as IMHO they are the best.

Same here, severely regretted paying for this, as you say it's sardine city and as a note if you above average height there's no FLAT bed facility.

• Like 1

Flew from Dublin - Bangkok via Dubai with emirates business class and it was without doubt the most amazing experience I've ever had with any airline! Total luxury ! From being picked up at my Dublin hotel by emirates complimentary limo service and driven to the airport to be greeted by emirates porter who carried my luggage and guided me to the fast track and into the business lounge to relax and enjoy beverages and snacks while waiting to board my flight,

Once on board I was greeted and guided to my seat and offered a glass of champaign (or any soft drink of your choice ) while waiting for boarding to be completed and departure.

The business class seats on the emirates 777 300er are fantastic lay flat type with ample room and built in seat massage via the excellent hand held LCD remote which also operated the best entertainment ( more than 3000 channels ) on emirates award winning ICE system. The food served was easily the most tastiest and the presentation and was of the highest quality!

All drinks and snacks are served with no hesitation throughout the entire flight ( I promise I even refused once or twice)

Changeover at Dubai airport was also a fantastic experience ( only had 3 1/2 hour layover ) in the amazingly beautiful emirates business lounge with an ever ending choice of wines, spirits and drinks. Also a very large assortment of international foods to help yourself to.

Second leg from Dubai - Bangkok was out of this world! Business class on the upper deck of an emirates A380! Total comfort and even more luxurious than the excellent 777/300er!

My advice...... There's only one way and one airline ..... EMIRATES !

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by irishsmile
  • Like 1

You can go business as well if you want. You just have to save a bit longer.

Etihad is very heavily involved in promoting their airline and services all over the world,

as much as that they have forked out for a full sport stadium/arena in Melbourne name

after the airline, and all that money spend on promotion have to come out the comfort

of the paying travelers I guess....

• Like 1

I did the math one day (okay, many times) and decided it's not worth the $150 per hour it would cost to upgrade to a more comfortable seat with better food. I'd rather spend the money on something else. But then, I also buy used cars.

Still recall during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing when I was flying cheap seats for $1,400 R/T and the cheapest first class ticket on Orbitz/Expedia/etc was $22,000.

I also believe that all posters extolling the virtues of the wonderful service on business or first class should be required to disclose who's paying for the ticket. OPM- (other people's money) makes that decision easy. I've known a lot of guys that swore they'd never fly cattle class, only to change their tune when their company stopped paying for the upgrades. (And cashing in your company related loyalty miles still counts as OPM.)

BTW, I'm not knocking the guys who do make that choice. Just the ones that knock other folks for not having that big expense account.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

After working hard for forty plus years, and taking enough flights in economy to literally wallpaper a large house with boarding cards, I feel I have every right to spend my money as I see fit. This upcoming flight is a very special one and as such my wife and I have decided to go business class. My post was about getting recommendations from others who have experience on the subject. End of, but it does give me a warm feeling that my financial position allows me to do what others only appear to be able of dreaming about

Nothing wrong with flying bussiness class or first class as long as you do not deride people who do not.

My view is that while Bussiness class may help someone to get a bit of rest and be prepared more for meetings on arrival if working that the same does not apply when travelling for leisure.

However good bussiness class is there will always be a degree of jet lag and fatigue. For the extra money I would prefer to upgrade my hotel and or eat some vey special resturant meals during the holiday. The business class surchage will buy several meals at a many starred restaurant.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with flying bussiness class or first class as long as you do not deride people who do not.

My view is that while Bussiness class may help someone to get a bit of rest and be prepared more for meetings on arrival if working that the same does not apply when travelling for leisure.

However good bussiness class is there will always be a degree of jet lag and fatigue. For the extra money I would prefer to upgrade my hotel and or eat some vey special resturant meals during the holiday. The business class surchage will buy several meals at a many starred restaurant.

I partly agree with you but as with many things here on ThaiVisa the begrudging comes mostly from people who cannot or will not spend the money to pay for the higher class.

The money I have is mine to do with as I want to, and I'm not going to take away from the pleasure I experience traveling comfortably and by that I do mean the difference starting at check-in through

immigration, use of lounges, better food, better wine, being treated as a person that matters, priority baggage handling etc. etc.

Well worth the money IMHO.

@ OP I confirm what Smokie said i.e. Qatar and/or Oman Air get my vote for best overall experience with as far as I'm concerned a preference for Omain Air. Please read some of the trip reports in the pinned topic above.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee
  • Like 2

Klm is one grade up from a budget airline, rubbish business seats that are not flat and stuffed in like sardines 2-3-2 service awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I flew KLM business 6 months ago and the seats were flat each way. However the food was pretty mediocre and could only get 2 glasses of wine with the meal.(the wine on the menu was not even available).

The ticket was about 20,000 baht less than Air France (paid myself), so I assume that KLM is now relegated to being on the trailing edge of their partnership.

Would I fly with them again?

No.

Just wondering if anyone has flown business with Ethiopian Airlines to London. They fly to Bangkok and London, but their online booking engine does not show a direct Bangkok to London option. They seem to have a modern fleet so it would be a bit of excitment to fly with them.

It is not only the airline that is a factor, but also the type of aircraft. Modern aircraft have more comfort. And some flights are shared, meaning you run the risk of having the flight with a partner airline.

Check the aircraft for both ways, for the actual day you will be flying and check the comfort of that aircraft type.

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone has flown business with Ethiopian Airlines to London. They fly to Bangkok and London, but their online booking engine does not show a direct Bangkok to London option. They seem to have a modern fleet so it would be a bit of excitment to fly with them.

They don't fly direct, it's only via Addis. ET are an expanding and modern airline.

I did the math one day (okay, many times) and decided it's not worth the $150 per hour it would cost to upgrade to a more comfortable seat with better food. I'd rather spend the money on something else. But then, I also buy used cars.

Still recall during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing when I was flying cheap seats for $1,400 R/T and the cheapest first class ticket on Orbitz/Expedia/etc was $22,000.

I also believe that all posters extolling the virtues of the wonderful service on business or first class should be required to disclose who's paying for the ticket. OPM- (other people's money) makes that decision easy. I've known a lot of guys that swore they'd never fly cattle class, only to change their tune when their company stopped paying for the upgrades. (And cashing in your company related loyalty miles still counts as OPM.)

BTW, I'm not knocking the guys who do make that choice. Just the ones that knock other folks for not having that big expense account.

Yes true in my case. I fly business and first only on company account. Fortunately this gives me enough mileage to upgrade my family to business when we take the annual vaccation.

If you like the best wines and food try Air France - flew with them last year and it was unbelievable! The service was 'impeccable 'flat beds really comfortable, champagne, Chablis,Bordeaux, and Armagnac gave me a crashing hangover but who cares,and the hostesses were absolutely drop dead gorgeous! I flew courtesy of a staff member so it only cost me 200 euros one way - can anyone top that. The one thing I should add is the cabin crew knew we weren't bonafide business class passengers but still gave us service that was brilliant! A trip that I'll never forget.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Harry ... I agree, but as someone else pointed out it is usually the people flying biz class who are derided on here by those who fly econ. At least in my experience.

On topic. I prefer Emirates, as I have being using them since living in the UAE and am too far invested in their freq. flyer program to change. The only other airline I have flown to/from Thailand to Europe is Turkish. Which flies a nice 777 E/R, has good lay flat beds and attentive cabin staff. I fly them if I am going to Europe and fly Emirates if going to the Mid East and North Africa. In Thailand, I fly Thai .... mostly to get my Star Alliance points to be honest. I've flown them once or twice when I couldn't get on EK; its hit or miss on the plane and service. My biggest gripe is the cost is always $$ compared to EK.

If the price wasnt quite so wide between economy and business I wouldnt mind paying the extra, but at 3 times more, I cant see how they justify it, unless of course its because its "business" ie, not the individual paying it, and therefore deductable business expense against tax etc so the airline just cash in on that opportunity. I dont believe its actual value is 3 times that of economy.

But as always, individual choice, if you want, and you can, then go for it!

From my own experience, Qatar and Emirates would bave the better service. Although these days and getting older I now prefer the non stop, and honestly couldnt really justify or afford the higher price for business class.

I vote for Emirates as well. Great service, lie flat beds and decent food. Their complementary Limo service is good as are their lounges. My only bugbear with them is flying through Dubai airport which is not my favourite by a long shot.

Sent from my SGP321 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app