Different airline standards regarding business class travel

nonthaburial

CharlieH

If the price wasnt quite so wide between economy and business I wouldnt mind paying the extra, but at 3 times more, I cant see how they justify it...

give me one valid reason why anybody who flies business or first should justify the expense? should people who drive a Bentley or a Ferrari justify why they don't drive a Honda Jazz or a motorcycle?

By "they" I was referring to the airlines not the passengers.

It seems you interpeted it as something else.

I recently used Etihad and will never use them again. They pack you in to business class like sardines in the tin. There are twice as many seats in business class than any other airline I have flown with. Each seat is in a little box thing of its own, and is as narrow as those in economy, they have thin unpadded arm rests which dig at you if you dare to move, yes they are flat beds. There are a few seats side by side if you happen to be travelling with someone.

Having said all of that, the cabin crew were excellent and very customer focussed, the service and food was as good as any. Nevertheless I will go back to using Qatar as IMHO they are the best.

Completely agree Peter. I used to have a silver card with Etihad and really enjoyed their business class. But the service and seating has really gone down. Qatar are much better now.

I recently flew on Gulf. The seating was ok, food and beverages not so good as the other two, but the service superb. They had a mixed mature crew who really had everything well organized and made sure all aspects of the service were very good.

I really can't believe that those voting Emirates for Business have flown in the 777 or are real regular Business Class flyers. To the OP you really do get what you,pay for with Business however check on the specific aircraft for your route. If you don't mind a stop en route then certainly Oman, if you want direct and can afford it then CX. I have flown most of the European and Middle eastern airlines BKK-LHR in Business and/or First. For First I would vote Thai, for business then value for money would be Finnair , quality at a price BA and one hop would be Qatar. I have heard very good things about Oman but not used them.

• Like 1

Qantas particularly and Emirates are excellent. Malaysian not good if you want a flat bed.

Can't comment beyond those.

Turkish are an excellent airline but haven't tried their biz class.

Edited by Bpuumike

I sincerely thank those sensible enough who responded to my very open question on suggestions. As per normal the usual peasants came out of the woodwork, some probably had to google how to spell business class.

I was very interested in the responses by the obviously switched on savvy frequent flyers, however, I had to sort through the responses as recommended airlines such as Oman Air do not fly out of Hong Kong.

As a smoker a stop over is great with me, as long as it's a reasonable length of time, gives my 66 year old body the opportunity to stretch my legs, on top of which, a nice comfortable business class lounge is also a blessing. Now here's another point that no one has picked up on, and that, as a business owner, travelling at my own expense, my check in luggage weight is very important.

After searching the internet for three days, and very much listening to the sensible comments from those in the know, who kindly answered me, I have gone for Emirates.

In my last post, where I stated I could wallpaper a large house with my economy boarding cards, I actually took the time to check my accounts with Cathay Pacific, which have all been economy class, and since 1981, when I first flew them, I have amassed 87,000 miles. But it has to be understood that since 1997 I have only flown them twice a year.

I think I have the right to know what I am talking about when it comes to air travel. And thanks to you who gave me your experience

CharlieH

If the price wasnt quite so wide between economy and business I wouldnt mind paying the extra, but at 3 times more, I cant see how they justify it...

give me one valid reason why anybody who flies business or first should justify the expense? should people who drive a Bentley or a Ferrari justify why they don't drive a Honda Jazz or a motorcycle?

clearly a misunderstanding. but there is some justification as far as "seat space" is concerned. first and business take up a lot more space than those in cattle class. the price difference might not be fully justified but neither is the price difference for a zillion other products and services.

the Mrs and i flew first when the companies i worked for paid the fare. now we fly business but without spending a single penny because our heirs pay the fare.

for what it's worth... people should check whether it's really their money shelled out when they afford themselves some luxuries or whether it is the money of their heirs they are spending laugh.png

• Like 1

Klm is one grade up from a budget airline, rubbish business seats that are not flat and stuffed in like sardines 2-3-2 service awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I flew KLM business 6 months ago and the seats were flat each way. However the food was pretty mediocre and could only get 2 glasses of wine with the meal.(the wine on the menu was not even available).

The ticket was about 20,000 baht less than Air France (paid myself), so I assume that KLM is now relegated to being on the trailing edge of their partnership.

Would I fly with them again?

No.

What plane is this? Their seats defiantly were not fully flat on any of the flights I have taken with them.

Klm is one grade up from a budget airline, rubbish business seats that are not flat and stuffed in like sardines 2-3-2 service awful.

I flew KLM business 6 months ago and the seats were flat each way. However the food was pretty mediocre and could only get 2 glasses of wine with the meal.(the wine on the menu was not even available).

The ticket was about 20,000 baht less than Air France (paid myself), so I assume that KLM is now relegated to being on the trailing edge of their partnership.

Would I fly with them again?

No.

What plane is this? Their seats defiantly were not fully flat on any of the flights I have taken with them.

i am not an expert in flat seats, but the seats I had extended in about 3 sections so that you could stretch out fully with legs and feet supported (I am 6 feet 2 ins). Maybe you can argue that the bed had a slight slope. Not sure how flat is the flat you want.

Some references;

1. Here for food quality: http://www.airlinemeals.net/index.php

2. Here for Seat quality:http://www.seatguru.com/

3 And here for general airline quality but does have a section on seats: http://www.airlinequality.com/

They are my bibles if looking at using a new carrier, sad but when you spend the hours in the air, every little makes a difference.

In my previous post I forgot to mention EVA for direct BKK-LHR, I haven't flown the new Business Class yet but am hearing good things.

Wow rich guys here. It's good that you guys can splash that much money for a nice comfortable seat unlike those poor sods in cattle class and it's to europe so there is a bit of a distance to cover. You guys probably stay in 5 star places too.

Is that a hint of jealousy I detect in your post...

If there was no demand for 1st class. buisness class etc then the airlines would'nt make the seats, cabins and space available..

If you have never flown 1st class maybe due to lack of funds then may I say you save up and try it one day, it's quite nice sitting on the runway before take off being offered champagne and other things, It's nice to have a bed or fully reclining chair you can sleep on if you so wish, it's nice getting a drink when you want one and not having to wait for ages like you have to sometimes in cattle class, it's nice to be able to eat food when you want and have a better choice..

If you have the money to spend on a better class of travel then why not, having flown in both economy and first and buisness classes, I know which one I prefer and it's certainly not economy as a first choice...

ummm nope not jealous just commenting about it. Cos i suppose when i read this forum you have guys complaining on "farang" prices which is in thai bht and when it's converted into their currency it's just chump change and all. It's just a commentary that's all.

CharlieH

clearly a misunderstanding. but there is some justification as far as "seat space" is concerned. first and business take up a lot more space than those in cattle class. the price difference might not be fully justified but neither is the price difference for a zillion other products and services.

the Mrs and i flew first when the companies i worked for paid the fare. now we fly business but without spending a single penny because our heirs pay the fare.

for what it's worth... people should check whether it's really their money shelled out when they afford themselves some luxuries or whether it is the money of their heirs they are spending laugh.png

Thank you for saying our heirs pay the fare many do not understand that and kept saving and saving

I recently used Etihad and will never use them again. They pack you in to business class like sardines in the tin. There are twice as many seats in business class than any other airline I have flown with. Each seat is in a little box thing of its own, and is as narrow as those in economy, they have thin unpadded arm rests which dig at you if you dare to move, yes they are flat beds. There are a few seats side by side if you happen to be travelling with someone.

Having said all of that, the cabin crew were excellent and very customer focussed, the service and food was as good as any. Nevertheless I will go back to using Qatar as IMHO they are the best.

Same here, severely regretted paying for this, as you say it's sardine city and as a note if you above average height there's no FLAT bed facility.

I certainly avoid them.

Nothing wrong with flying bussiness class or first class as long as you do not deride people who do not.

My view is that while Bussiness class may help someone to get a bit of rest and be prepared more for meetings on arrival if working that the same does not apply when travelling for leisure.

However good bussiness class is there will always be a degree of jet lag and fatigue. For the extra money I would prefer to upgrade my hotel and or eat some vey special resturant meals during the holiday. The business class surchage will buy several meals at a many starred restaurant.

I partly agree with you but as with many things here on ThaiVisa the begrudging comes mostly from people who cannot or will not spend the money to pay for the higher class.

The money I have is mine to do with as I want to, and I'm not going to take away from the pleasure I experience traveling comfortably and by that I do mean the difference starting at check-in through

immigration, use of lounges, better food, better wine, being treated as a person that matters, priority baggage handling etc. etc.

Well worth the money IMHO.

@ OP I confirm what Smokie said i.e. Qatar and/or Oman Air get my vote for best overall experience with as far as I'm concerned a preference for Omain Air. Please read some of the trip reports in the pinned topic above.

Yermanee wai.gif

Does Oman Air biz have complete flat beds?

Wow rich guys here. It's good that you guys can splash that much money for a nice comfortable seat unlike those poor sods in cattle class and it's to europe so there is a bit of a distance to cover. You guys probably stay in 5 star places too.

You can go business as well if you want. You just have to save a bit longer.

Or.........same as 90% of the people on this forum that fly business, start to work for a company that pays for the business ticket smile.png

CharlieH

Naam, I don't have much to leave behind when I pass away, but can you suggest to your heirs that I will name them in my will as well if they pay me a business ticket to Europe now and then.

You can go business as well if you want. You just have to save a bit longer.

Or.........same as 90% of the people on this forum that fly business, start to work for a company that pays for the business ticket smile.png

ah i see it's the not my money thing.

Nothing wrong with flying bussiness class or first class as long as you do not deride people who do not.

My view is that while Bussiness class may help someone to get a bit of rest and be prepared more for meetings on arrival if working that the same does not apply when travelling for leisure.

However good bussiness class is there will always be a degree of jet lag and fatigue. For the extra money I would prefer to upgrade my hotel and or eat some vey special resturant meals during the holiday. The business class surchage will buy several meals at a many starred restaurant.

I partly agree with you but as with many things here on ThaiVisa the begrudging comes mostly from people who cannot or will not spend the money to pay for the higher class.

The money I have is mine to do with as I want to, and I'm not going to take away from the pleasure I experience traveling comfortably and by that I do mean the difference starting at check-in through

immigration, use of lounges, better food, better wine, being treated as a person that matters, priority baggage handling etc. etc.

@ OP I confirm what Smokie said i.e. Qatar and/or Oman Air get my vote for best overall experience with as far as I'm concerned a preference for Omain Air. Please read some of the trip reports in the pinned topic above.

Yermanee wai.gif

Yes they do as you can see here below.

More pictures on their website. As a Gold Member I can confirm that their business class cabins are the most cozy in the business.

Yermanee wai.gif

post-109269-0-76734900-1386045111_thumb.

Edited by yermanee
  • Like 1

I make sure they provide true lie flats, good baggage allowance (40 business + 15 gold status), I bring a lot of food to Thailand....

Quality lounges are important, as quality service on board.

Price, yes 3x cattle class, your seat takes 3x the space, but I do book promotions (try to stay under 2000 euro) and it's my money.

I am retired, getting old and truly appreciate traveling in comfort and yes, cattle class travel is no pleasure (I want to lay down and sleep after a smooth check-in, relaxing with a drink, some snacks and a shower before boarding, enjoy a glass of champagne etc etc)

As for carriers, my destination is near Brussels, thus Etihad and Qatar qualify.

I have no problems with the individual Etihad seats, and they offer free limo (Benz) on both ends.

Qatar had gliding flat seats on Doha-BRU until 1st december, now flying the new B787, thus moved to second position.

Not Thai because they don't have fully lie flats since November 2013 (B777/200) and they are too expensive.

Oman, sorry, no hopping to FRA or CDG with 55kgs of luggage.

Finnair might join my list when all their planes (A330/300) will have fully lie flats, because baggage allowance is 3x23kg

I also have EVA ex AMS on my list, have renewed business class, and free transport to BRU

Incidentally I flew Air Canada BRU-YUL in business class this August, fully lie flat seats and decent service, a tad lower that Etihad but good experience all over.

Edited by tartempion

Qatar or Oman air are the best imho....

Yeah I've done Oman business class BKK-Muscat-London and their seats would give some other airlines first class a run for their money. I'm a terrible sleeper on aircraft but I had a decent kip on their lie flats and I'm 6 foot 1.

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

Yermanee wai.gif

More pictures on their website. As a Gold Member I can confirm that their business class cabins are the most cozy in the business.

Yermanee wai.gif

I have just booked Oman Air business for London in May next year.

Price with the promotion code in BP today came to 82,245 baht.

Works out almost 50,000 baht less than Emirates. Based on the recommendations in this thread it looks like great value for somebody paying his own way.

I have travelled through Doha once in economy, and the transit lounge was an oasis of tranquility in comparison to the Dubai zoo.

[quote name="rak sa_ngop" post="7146739" timestamp="13867390

Yermanee wai.gif

Yermanee wai.gif

I have just booked Oman Air business for London in May next year.

Price with the promotion code in BP today came to 82,245 baht.

Works out almost 50,000 baht less than Emirates. Based on the recommendations in this thread it looks like great value for somebody paying his own way.

I have travelled through Doha once in economy, and the transit lounge was an oasis of tranquility in comparison to the Dubai zoo.

Thai-style, I don't want to enter confrontation so will check out Oman Biz vs BA Premier Economy for my next trip lol.

Yermanee seems to have have got us going, but I have enjoyed Oman as a country for almost 40 years.

Have flown Oman Air short haul in the Gulf and would be happy to check them BKK-LHR.

Reports always welcome.

Guess it's getting to that time of year we don't notice here, but a very Merry Christmas to one and all.

I always wander off topic:

If I'm not at work then a roasted goose from my favourite supermarket, with home made garlic and sage mashed spuds is menu of the day. Anything more is a bonus.

Edited by Bpuumike
  • Like 1