Protesters cut power, disrupt CAT internet server

Lite Beer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a Mob - Control or eliminate it. The Mob is Skum. Any government must control this crap by any means. If it can't, investment is gone as well as GDP.

They can control it by resigning.

The army can control it by staging a coup, establishing temporary government & calling for immediate elections.

And then PT wins the election again and then what ? New protests? A new election is kicking the can down the road. Thai's need to learn to respect the law, other peoples views, free speech, how to talk to each other without shouting from a stage and the right to differ.

I don't know why CAT and TOT's power went down yesterday, and I wouldn't be too quick to believe everything the government says about the reason.

Maybe it was the protesters. Maybe it was the government. Maybe it was CAT and TOT themselves screwing up. In these kinds of situations, it's wise to avoid rash judgments based on early media reports, that often turn out to be wrong or misinformed.

The government here has publicly stated they want to fight the protesters with negative publicity. Presumably, that's why the media suddenly yesterday had reports about YL's kid supposedly being targeted... and now the Internet outage.

Those are the kinds of issues that common ordinary people would not think well of. And if the government can succeed in blaming the protesters for those kinds of things, they're scoring points in the PR war.

After all, when it comes to actually running the country, they really don't have much of a (good) record to stand on.

Haha, cut power to hospital and no one cares. Cut power to the Internet and risk losing public support.

i thought that the hospital never actually had it's power supply cut. wasn't it just a BS deliberate misrepresentation of the facts?

Another red shirt propaganda rumor. No police hospital had power or electricity cut to it. Desperate people trying desperately to make the protestors look bad. Funny thing is they try so hard yet the 2010 terrorists didn't need to be made to look bad. They did that all by themselves..

The hilarious part is herein lies the problem, but you guys are too blind to it . . . and the sad part is that in no way will understand to what exactly I am referring.

I'm sure many your trenchant insights seem very understandable to a certain segment of society.

tinfoil_hat_shazam.png

Edited by Suradit69

I'm a network engineer, and I know first-hand what happened. Not rumors or speculation.

A group of anti-government protestors went to the CAT Internet Data Center (IDC)/Point of Presence (PoP) in Bangrak; they got someone who could access the building to let them in, and then they proceeded to cut the power mains and to remove the control panels for the generators. UPSes for various servers could run for a while, but since the other routers, switches, etc. they connected to were down, it didn't matter.

The Bangrak facility is what's known as a carrier hotel, where lots of various ISPs peer together, and CAT operate the International Internet Gateway, or IIG, there. IIG went down, which completely took down international peering for a lot of smaller Thai ISPs, and it took about 50% of True's international capacity (True has its own international peering points in Singapore, the USA, etc.).

Lots of companies like Thai Airways have their Web and DNS servers colocated within the Bangrak IDC, so they were down, too.

Backup generators were dispatched and installed and fired up, and the commercial power mains connectivity was restored, as well. After some routing reconvergence and dealing with some routers/switches which needed configuration tweaking, things were pretty much back to normal. True Move had some switches which weren't behaving properly at first, so they temporarily downgraded mobile data users to EDGE speeds until they could get the problems resolved

You see, the protestors didn't realize that if they caused Internet disruption in Thailand, they couldn't use Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Line, et. al. to coordinate their activities, and their television channels would go off the air, as well, because they use the Internet to deliver video, and most of their infrastructure is colocated within the Bangrak facility.

The protestors' interruption of power at TOT affected wireline home and commercial broadband users of TOT's branded Internet access service, not IDCs or Internet peering points, nor mobile wireless users. Power has been restored there, as well. Lingering issues such as those reported in Phuket are a result of suboptimal configuration of routers/switches which need some manual adjustment in order to restore connectivity after the loss of communications with upstream routers/switches in Bangkok.

Both (all?) sides in this conflict need the Internet in order to use social media to coordinate their activities, and the government needs the Internet to get their message across, as well as to perform normal governmental functions, for online commerce involving orders for Thai exports, et. al., to proceed apace. Just as the protestors in 2008 who took over Suvarnabhumi ended up causing huge losses and disruption for the entire country, including their patrons, the protestors who were causing Internet disruptions last night were causing the same kind of problems for their own supporters. I think they've learned their lesson now, and both sides will leave key Internet infrastructure alone, just as they're leaving Suvarnabhumi alone.

I'm a network engineer, and I know first-hand what happened. Not rumors or speculation.

A group of anti-government protestors went to the CAT Internet Data Center (IDC)/Point of Presence (PoP) in Bangrak; they got someone who could access the building to let them in, and then they proceeded to cut the power mains and to remove the control panels for the generators. UPSes for various servers could run for a while, but since the other routers, switches, etc. they connected to were down, it didn't matter.

The Bangrak facility is what's known as a carrier hotel, where lots of various ISPs peer together, and CAT operate the International Internet Gateway, or IIG, there. IIG went down, which completely took down international peering for a lot of smaller Thai ISPs, and it took about 50% of True's international capacity (True has its own international peering points in Singapore, the USA, etc.).

Lots of companies like Thai Airways have their Web and DNS servers colocated within the Bangrak IDC, so they were down, too.

Backup generators were dispatched and installed and fired up, and the commercial power mains connectivity was restored, as well. After some routing reconvergence and dealing with some routers/switches which needed configuration tweaking, things were pretty much back to normal. True Move had some switches which weren't behaving properly at first, so they temporarily downgraded mobile data users to EDGE speeds until they could get the problems resolved

You see, the protestors didn't realize that if they caused Internet disruption in Thailand, they couldn't use Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Line, et. al. to coordinate their activities, and their television channels would go off the air, as well, because they use the Internet to deliver video, and most of their infrastructure is colocated within the Bangrak facility.

The protestors' interruption of power at TOT affected wireline home and commercial broadband users of TOT's branded Internet access service, not IDCs or Internet peering points, nor mobile wireless users. Power has been restored there, as well. Lingering issues such as those reported in Phuket are a result of suboptimal configuration of routers/switches which need some manual adjustment in order to restore connectivity after the loss of communications with upstream routers/switches in Bangkok.

Both (all?) sides in this conflict need the Internet in order to use social media to coordinate their activities, and the government needs the Internet to get their message across, as well as to perform normal governmental functions, for online commerce involving orders for Thai exports, et. al., to proceed apace. Just as the protestors in 2008 who took over Suvarnabhumi ended up causing huge losses and disruption for the entire country, including their patrons, the protestors who were causing Internet disruptions last night were causing the same kind of problems for their own supporters. I think they've learned their lesson now, and both sides will leave key Internet infrastructure alone, just as they're leaving Suvarnabhumi alone.

Thanks for that.

That's unbelievably weak infrastructure if backup power can be cut just like that.  An ISP should know how to construct a backup power suuply that has zero dependency on outside feeds. This is what it should look like:wigblog-2005-phone-centraloffice-battery

If saboteurs somehow got into the switching office, that is doubly ridiculous as there should be some kind of redundant security (so that it doesn't take just a single corrupt individual to let vandals into the building) to fail-secure the facility.

Edited by attrayant

This is a Mob - Control or eliminate it. The Mob is Skum. Any government must control this crap by any means. If it can't, investment is gone as well as GDP.

They can control it by resigning.

The army can control it by staging a coup, establishing temporary government & calling for immediate elections.

The army, or at least those officers who might be in a position to do so if they so wished, are generally credited as being politically astute. They will know that if they adopted your suggestion, the same people who now form the government will be back in power as soon as elections are held and the entire population of the country will be pissed off with the army. The yellows for not supporting their agenda; the red shirts for ousting the democratically elected government they support; and the non-aligned for screwing up the country.

The military will have to run a deeply divided country and make some important long-term economic decisions between the coup you advocate and the resumption of democratic government. By the admission of one of the leaders of the last coup, they did not make a good job of running the country last time round. If there is a this time, as you advocate, the tests they will face are much more challenging. It is an examination they can easily avoid.

The military also know that if they heed your suggestion, the coup will not be bloodless and could instigate a much deeper and bloodier conflict.

The military has a better hand to play. Let the politicians sort out the mess and the army will support the police. That way the military is not seen as being partial, democratically elected political control is maintained and the police remain responsible for maintaing law and order.

They (yellow mob) think can do anything.

Be care Buddy, if they think you don't listen enough them they will march to your home and will push you to watch their infantile TV channelcheesy.gif

They are the high educated class cheesy.gif

But they are only selfish idiots with this headline. if we can't win election ..... no need election !!! clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

iam glad I left Thailand 2 years ago, no regrets what so everts

So why are you still writing on this site if you have no regrets what so ever. The only regret I have is that you are still commenting on a country you have no regrets about.

You are not missed.

That's unbelievably weak infrastructure if backup power can be cut just like that. An ISP should know how to construct a backup power suuply that has zero dependency on outside feeds.

Welcome to Asia.

;>

No.... Welcome to Thailand two ignorant Falangs who don't understand what happened.

The power systems were in compliance with best practice ....

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by skippybangkok

That's unbelievably weak infrastructure if backup power can be cut just like that. An ISP should know how to construct a backup power suuply that has zero dependency on outside feeds.

Welcome to Asia.

;>

No.... Welcome to Thailand two ignorant Falangs who don't understand what happened.

The power systems were in compliance with best practice ....

So in Thailand best practice means your mission critical infrastructure can be taken out by a rag-tag band of vandals? Welcome to thailand indeed!

So in Thailand best practice means your mission critical infrastructure can be taken out by a rag-tag band of vandals? Welcome to thailand indeed!

No :)

And the above shows your ignorance of what happened. But then again it's a common falang trait to think they know it all.

As I always say, having an internet connection does not automatically make you a critic.

Both sides are being duped. It is the White shirted elite that are the only one's that will benefit from power. My corruption is better than your corruption is not a policy. These protests will only cause economic hardship for ALL Thais.

Also, cutting my football game will not convince me to support you, ever.

What about being a facility manager for Bell Atlantic for six years, responsible for power systems in four central switching offices in the northwest quadrant of Washington DC - how does that float your boat?

The simple fact is: if a company's infrastructure can be taken down so easily, then by definition they are not conforming to best practice.

Since you seem to have special knowledge of what happened, why don't you enlighten all of us?

What about being a facility manager for Bell Atlantic for six years, responsible for power systems in four central switching offices in the northwest quadrant of Washington DC - how does that float your boat?

The simple fact is: if a company's infrastructure can be taken down so easily, then by definition they are not conforming to best practice.

Since you seem to have special knowledge of what happened, why don't you enlighten all of us?

Bell Atlantic - didn't they go belly up ?

Anyway, let's see how you go 101 and if you pass with fly colours ( not colors ) , will let you try 102 mr Bell Atlanta

For a mid to lowly paid CAT government employee ( switching guy) , having protestors on your front door, possibly armed and violent, and a fat chance of the police or army coming to your rescue, what would be the right course of actions ( you have 10 seconds to choose the answer )

a) swing the door open and say " I'm outta here, it's all yours"

b ) I am a man of principles and will not let you in, over my dead body.

It really does not take a lot of imagination how to gain access.....

Edited by skippybangkok

Belly up? That's a strange way to describe a repeat fortune 50 company. The regional Bell operating companies have been the most successful telcos in the world.

But let's get back to best practice (remember, the topic you raised in your post #46?)

mid to lowly paid CAT government employee ( switching guy)

worst practice #1: pay your first-line security people minimum wage so they'll roll over at the first sign of danger.

having protestors on your front door

worst practice #2: building a critical facility in such a way that protesters can even get as close as your front door.

I thought you were going to tell us all about how the data communications setup here follows best practice, not worst. Instead you throw a direct personal insult ("ignorant falang") and then give me a pop quiz. Got anything more substantial than that?

• Like 1

That's unbelievably weak infrastructure if backup power can be cut just like that.  An ISP should know how to construct a backup power suuply that has zero dependency on outside feeds. This is what it should look like:wigblog-2005-phone-centraloffice-battery

If saboteurs somehow got into the switching office, that is doubly ridiculous as there should be some kind of redundant security (so that it doesn't take just a single corrupt individual to let vandals into the building) to fail-secure the facility.

Seems you have very short memory, your post was about " if the infra was laid out like this ". Obviously can't defend this point, so now bait and switch to central switching fortification - NEW TOPIC

Maybe google what happened to switches in New Orleans during Katrina..... didn't some go down too ? Then i guess the WTC switches down town nw york were also poorly designed as they failed too? What about Fukushima nuclear power plant ? I personally know alot of US telecoms guys at senior level who tell me about when their switches went down.

Summary - so many falangs with this "i am superior attitude" over thai's, makes me wonder why they live here to start off with. In Oz we re familiar with the poms saying "back home", our answer is "go home then"

p.s. Did a search of Bell Atlantic, can't seem to find this "Fortune 500" company anymore

Edited by skippybangkok