Scam on Ford Ranger 3.2 l diesel

Tmymaimee

I placed my order last February at Pattaya Ford. She told me a 1 year wait. Today at the Motor Expo a Ford rep said so many falangs ordered this engine option and that was the reason for the backlog. Then she added in Thai to my girlfriend that for 80,000 baht, I could have one tomorrow. I laughed at her and said not all falangs are that stupid.

The point is that I will never get my damn truck unless I pay to buy someone's position. Sure, dealers do the same at home with high demand vehicles by selling them over MSRP but eventually supply should meet demand. In this case, they will just ship more over to Australia so there will never be a surplus for Thai buyers.

She also said Thai buyers won't pay the extra but never gave a reason.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel for the OP and all those on the back order list.

I am surprised that no one has discovered the reason for the 3.2L backup, at least to the satisfaction of posters in the forum.

Why is this?

Until we all definitively know exactly what's going on, we should not be surprised at these type of instances.

If I was presented with the opportunity that you were, I would have agreed to pay the Bt 80k but only at time of collection of a Black 4x4 3.2L, the next day(?), just to see if it could happen.

Why don't we focus our energies on identifying the actual cause of this Ford 3.2L back log?

No problem. What other trucks come with a 3.2 litre diesel? Its not the wait I'm against…its that when they told me a year, it was based on nothing and here I am wasting money renting thinking there is an end in sight.

The Mazda BT-50 Pro!

AFAIK, they're basically the same vehicles except for a differently designed front end and a few other minor(?) cosmetic differences.

Not quite…Pattaya Ford has to wait until no other buyers will pay the 80,000 for jumping ahead of me in line. Last weekend they said there really is no time…1 year was just said in case no one will ante up the 80,000. And of course she said it in Thai thinking I didn't understand her…why not just say it in English to me?

My point is that be up front at the initial sale so everyone understands the deal. They said the reason for the delay is because the real market is Australia and almost all production is shipped there. Maybe Ford is a stronger brand there or something..

Not quite…Pattaya Ford has to wait until no other buyers will pay the 80,000 for jumping ahead of me in line. Last weekend they said there really is no time…1 year was just said in case no one will ante up the 80,000. And of course she said it in Thai thinking I didn't understand her…why not just say it in English to me?

My point is that be up front at the initial sale so everyone understands the deal. They said the reason for the delay is because the real market is Australia and almost all production is shipped there. Maybe Ford is a stronger brand there or something..

Now, I understand the point you are making about 'The Scam'!

So, is there a way to verify that the actual cause for the Ford 3.2L backlog is that Ford of Thailand (is probably) set up to (primarily) produce for Australia, the export market, and the Thai market gets - is left to fight over - any 3.2L production excesses?

If we can determine this to be fact, why don't everyone just switch over to Mazda? Besides some cosmetic differences, are there other factors that differentiate the factors?

No problem. What other trucks come with a 3.2 litre diesel? Its not the wait I'm against…its that when they told me a year, it was based on nothing and here I am wasting money renting thinking there is an end in sight.

The new colorado will supposedly have 200hp / 400 nm of torque. If i wanted a powerful truck I'd probably look at that, given delivery problems with the ranger. Not sure when that's available though.

The new colorado will supposedly have 200hp / 400 nm of torque. If i wanted a powerful truck I'd probably look at that, given delivery problems with the ranger. Not sure when that's available though.

The uprated Duramax engines are available now. One small correction though, the 2.8L makes 500Nm when paired to AT, or 440NM paired to MT.

When did Ford Thailand lift the ban on the dealers taking orders for the Wildtrak as the last directive given was to accept no new orders until 2014.

There is 2 Brand new ones on Bahtsold if your desperate for one, only 1.2million ea.

Edited by Spoonman

The uprated Duramax engines are available now. One small correction though, the 2.8L makes 500Nm when paired to AT, or 440NM paired to MT.

Correct, I made a mistype at 12.40am...I mean't to write 500nm:) So the auto will have more torque than the manual I thought it would be the other way around...?

Correct, I made a mistype at 12.40am...I mean't to write 500nm:) So the auto will have more torque than the manual I thought it would be the other way around...?

Manual has less torque (as well as torque limiting in lower gears) so to try to help with clutch life.

• Like 1

#3 Thailoht said: 'Why don't we focus our energies on identifying the actual cause of this Ford 3.2L back log?'

It's about bloody time FORD focused its energies on satisfying the Thai market too.

Just what is Ford's problem!

Backlogs, let alone servicing and customer satisfaction issues illustrate poor planning, among other concerns, such as the vehicles themselves. Since Australia is their preferred market, I for one would like to read feedback from the Aussies on reliability issues, servicing, etcetera.

It's high time Ford got its Thai act together. Currently it's a jug fck!

my bad....again, the chev website says 550nm tq.

#3 Thailoht said: 'Why don't we focus our energies on identifying the actual cause of this Ford 3.2L back log?'

It's about bloody time FORD focused its energies on satisfying the Thai market too.

Backlogs, let alone servicing and customer satisfaction issues illustrate poor planning, among other concerns, such as the vehicles themselves. Since Australia is their preferred market, I for one would like to read feedback from the Aussies on reliability issues, servicing, etcetera.

Some may not know this, but Ford was one of the first brands to officially sells cars on the Thai market (1913), and the first ever foreign car manufacturer to assemble in Thailand (1961). They *should* be the preeminent brand here (just as VW is in China), they just never 'got' the market here, and it appears not much has changed in the past 100 years.

^^ There you go again .... thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif

Another great informative background post: thumbsup.gif

A preliminary digesting of this info alone, addresses the questions(?) you posed:

"It's about bloody time FORD focused its energies on satisfying the Thai market too."

With a history of never having been accepted as a market leader - a 'Contender' (AKA. 'The Raging Bull') - it answers why there has seemingly been no rush to respond to the 'sudden' and 'overwhelming' demand for their 3.2L: Their production lines have been setup to produce according to past LOS sales numbers, so, thus, (a 'tsunami-like' increase of demand =) the current backlog - kinda' like a Som Nam Na to the LOS market for historically buying relatively few Ford's and now all of a sudden wanting (to buy) them, but actually basic marketing.

I can picture some of the Ford corporate types now, behind closed doors of their board rooms, looking at the LOS (backlog) market and saying, "Whose the 'Ford', now??

This is the kind of thing I was referring to when I spoke of focusing our energies on identifying the actual cause of this Ford 3.2L back log and my personal interpretation of the facts of the situation as stated.

Edited by thailoht

Some may not know this, but Ford was one of the first brands to officially sells cars on the Thai market (1913), and the first ever foreign car manufacturer to assemble in Thailand (1961). They *should* be the preeminent brand here (just as VW is in China), they just never 'got' the market here, and it appears not much has changed in the past 100 years.

You missed the bit where they left Thailand because dealing with Thais is often not worth the agro.

As for the chap in Pattaya - try a dealer in a different town. I've seen a 3.2 on the forecourt in Udon (probably gone by now).

You missed the bit where they left Thailand because dealing with Thais is often not worth the agro.

As for the chap in Pattaya - try a dealer in a different town. I've seen a 3.2 on the forecourt in Udon (probably gone by now).

Like I said, they never 'got' the market here :)

If I could get an extra 80,000 baht each, for all the vehicles I could make, I don't think my "backlog" would ever go away, at least not deliberately.

Add the auto sellers to airlines, hotels and Super Bowl ticket scalpers on the list of businesses using distasteful business practices to make more money.

Distasteful to some anyway.

Edited by impulse

A story as old as the 3.2 l Ford pickup as such.

Told times and times again in the forum.

Most people gave up after a year or so.

Basically all production output of the top model goes to Australia (where the model has been developed).

Profit margins being much better than in Thailand.

I think that explains it all.

80000 tea money: if you really want it that is a bargain.

A story as old as the 3.2 l Ford pickup as such.

Told times and times again in the forum.

Most people gave up after a year or so.

Basically all production output of the top model goes to Australia (where the model has been developed).

Profit margins being much better than in Thailand.

I think that explains it all.

80000 tea money: if you really want it that is a bargain.

Minor correction... chassis was developed by Mazda Japan, not FoA. Cheers.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app