Sometimes discouraged by wastefulness in thailand.

infinity11

seems like there is so much waste in thailand
not to mention a lack of environmental concerns
just thought i'd get it off my chest
are people in thailand spoiled?

education issue?

no one cares?
i know its third world and the wages are low but it appears to be a land of milk and honey

you could feed thousands on the waste
in thailand and other places as well

People wasting food and water left and right.

One day this will have to stop as the population grows and resources become in shorter supply.

No one else notices or cares, yet?

No one else notices this flushing the toilet BEFORE they do their business.

Quite common actually.

SIGH

One day this will have to stop as the population grows and resources become in shorter supply.

Quite common actually.

SIGH

absolute nonsense. Look at Briggsy's link. Apart from that, if you talk about food, what about the gigantic portions being gobbled down by Americans and Australians? No man needs that much food. Not only are they even wasting more food, they are also creating serious health issues that require much more resources in terms of additional health care, medicine, use of cars ..... the list goes on. Go figure it out and you will realize you're just spouting nonsense.

And bedore I forget - have you ever been to parts of mainland China where they still don't flush before they leave the toilet?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quite common actually.

SIGH

actually what pisses me off is when you go to the loo in one of the big shopping centres and the <deleted> have had a piss in the toilet without lifting the seat and pissed all over it, they simply dont want to use the urinals in case someone else sees how small their dicks really are and they dont want to touch the seat at all so they just piss over it.bah.gif

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

Quite common actually.

SIGH

absolute nonsense. Look at Briggsy's link. Apart from that, if you talk about food, what about the gigantic portions being gobbled down by Americans and Australians? No man needs that much food. Not only are they even wasting more food, they are also creating serious health issues that require much more resources in terms of additional health care, medicine, use of cars ..... the list goes on. Go figure it out and you will realize you're just spouting nonsense.

And bedore I forget - have you ever been to parts of mainland China where they still don't flush before they leave the toilet?

when you consider that the average thai is under 50 kg wringing wet and the average farang is 85 plus kg of course they eat bigger meals. You tend to eat what your body burns during the day so the bigger you are the more you need, I find the average thai serve is just about 2/3 of a meal for me unless I am not really hungry then its fine.

Quite common actually.

SIGH

double post, sorry

Edited by seajae

Quite common actually.

SIGH

actually what pisses me off is when you go to the loo in one of the big shopping centres and the <deleted> have had a piss in the toilet without lifting the seat and pissed all over it, they simply dont want to use the urinals in case someone else sees how small their dicks really are and they dont want to touch the seat at all so they just piss over it.bah.gif

As a father of 2 little girls I can confirm that 50% of all male public toilets are covered in piss. The Thai male behaves like a pig in a public toilet. Disgusting.

• Like 2

Quite common actually.

SIGH

when you consider that the average thai is under 50 kg wringing wet and the average farang is 85 plus kg of course they eat bigger meals. You tend to eat what your body burns during the day so the bigger you are the more you need, I find the average thai serve is just about 2/3 of a meal for me unless I am not really hungry then its fine.
I get your point about eating the amount of food that commensurates with your body weight. What I was driving at is the fact that in America for example, a lot of people over eat due to the portions being served, and to exacerbate the situation, there is now less incentives to exercise or even walk to the convenience stores. This link explains some of the causes of obesity, and overeating is one of them.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/causes.html

Quite common actually.

SIGH

actually what pisses me off is when you go to the loo in one of the big shopping centres and the <deleted> have had a piss in the toilet without lifting the seat and pissed all over it, they simply dont want to use the urinals in case someone else sees how small their dicks really are and they dont want to touch the seat at all so they just piss over it.Posted Image

As a father of 2 little girls I can confirm that 50% of all male public toilets are covered in piss. The Thai male behaves like a pig in a public toilet. Disgusting.
Agree - so that's why we need to flush the toilet and even clean the seats before using. Even the urinals stink!

I know what you mean about food getting ordered and not finished, that's pretty frustrating, especially when you're the one paying, But in general I find that Thais are very resourceful and much more likely to recycle, or repair something than throw it away.

That's my experience anyway.

Edited by Long tang
  • Like 1

Not supported by statistics. Look at those wasteful Aussies!

http://chartsbin.com/view/1455

Either that data is out dated or the 'per capital metric is being screwy. Almost every state has been on strict water restrictions for 20+ years... In summer our gardens/ anything green dies, because the only watering allowed is from rainwater tanks. Can't wash cars without a permit or a rated high efficiency pressure washer (depending on rainfall in winter this can again only be done with tank water) and any water we DO use is quite expensive in comparison to many parts of the world. There was even an extended 5 minute shower ad campaign that ran through the worst years of the drought.

In the US, it required a major, nationwide no littering campaign, to get people with college degrees from throwing soda cans, cigarette packs, and any other waste they had out of the windows of their cars onto the highways, and hillsides. Only after this campaign created a social stigma, for displaying this tremendous degree of ignorance, did things begin the change. And then this was followed up by the states imposing massive fines for littering. In California the fine currently stands at $1,000 (31,800 baht!). It did not happen on it's own. It was imposed by people with intelligence, vision, and will, who saw the future, and desired to change it. Do we have anyone in the LOS that fits these credentials? Have we ever had leaders like this? Will we ever see these sorts of people in charge? Can you imagine the Yingbat proposing a plan like this, in your wildest imagination? I think Thailand being a third world country is the best explanation for this utter lack of awareness. I bring my own shopping bags everywhere I go. Keep them under the seat on my scooter, and carry them into stores. It takes an act of will to get them to use my bags. They are usually surprised. A percentage of them acknowledge that it is a good idea. But, do you think that could possibly translate into them doing the same thing? I would hope so. But, I am not optimistic about that. I usually say to them I am trying to save Thailand from the plastic madness. They give me a blank look. "But, plastic is the best thing since som tam with blue crab! Why don't you like plastic?"

Same goes for the beaches. How do you leave trash on a beautiful beach knowing it will end up in the sea? It will take some time, for the local people to develop an awareness. When I am traveling up in Issan, I notice tons of trash by the side of the road. And this is in some very scenic areas. As fas as the eye can see, there is trash everywhere. One would think there might be some pride in the way your local area looks, right? That does not appear to be the case. When I ask, they say there is no trash pickup. So, how do you clean up a society that has no trash pickup, in the rural areas? Where are the priorities of the local government? Obviously not on trash, the ensuing disaster that results from no trash pickup, nor on the beautification of their areas. I am guessing it will take another 10, 20, 30, or 50 years before the Thais become environmentally aware, sensitive, and conscious. Will that be too late? Hope not.

• Like 1

Energy consumption per capita in the USA is more than 4 times that in Thailand.

Now, what were you saying about Thai wastefulness...?

Well, I believe that he might have been referring to the lack of recycling, the use of plastic, the littering that takes place, the refusal of Thai people to use doggy bags to take left over food home from restaurants, our of fear of being embarrassed in front of their guests, etc, etc. Not just the level of consumption.

• Like 2

The casual throwing down of trash drives me nuts, similar to my parents' generation is USA. Here I shame the kids (daughter/nieces/nephews) when I see them throw down a food wrapper, and continue doing so until they pick it up...it is just a habit that needs to be changed. I also do the same, in a good-natured way, with the mother-in-law, but I think it is too late to change her.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Energy consumption per capita in the USA is more than 4 times that in Thailand.

Now, what were you saying about Thai wastefulness...?

blah, blah, blah...we are not talking about USA, or any other country

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Only yesterday I asked my wife why she orders so much food, then not even eats half of it, she said she likes to try it. I told her I don't like to see wasted food, because of the starving people in the world, so I said from now on if you don't eat it, you pay for it, and she did!....that is pay for it, not eat it. RESULT.

• Like 1

Not supported by statistics. Look at those wasteful Aussies!

http://chartsbin.com/view/1455

Wasteful Aussies?

In Melbourne until a year ago we had a 10 year drought and water restrictions forbidding washing car, watering garden and driveway, 3 minute showers.

Advised to have a water saving shower water head, install rain water tanks, duel flush toilet, reuse the grey water for washing machine or toilet, etc etc.

As for flushing before, not on, never 'heard' it happen till I came to Thailand.

Many households still don't flush every pee. or use a bucket with water from the rain water tank.

As for wasting food, not much different here to back home. Most fridges in Aus are always full and half of it is food waiting to be thrown out.