Jerky please

PoolDoctor

I want my son to experience beef (or other) jerky. I also want to learn how to make it. Can somebody teach me for a fee, or is anyone making it as a hobby? I cant find it anywhere.....I am also craving slim jims, if anyone can show me how to do this I will make it worth your while....

I don't have a smoker, but you can use a food dehydrator, slicing meat thin. If you want the smokey flavor , you can use liquid smoke, or you cn use any combination of spices from honey to tabasco. As far as slim jims, they is someone on here that sells slim jims and I think maybey jerky as well. I bought my dehydrator at Versu, but Central World, Makro and such sells them, and liquid smoke can be found at Villa, Tops,Foodland, but is very concentrated so experiment some and marinate your meat, and dry!

I don't have a smoker, but you can use a food dehydrator, slicing meat thin. If you want the smokey flavor , you can use liquid smoke, or you cn use any combination of spices from honey to tabasco. As far as slim jims, they is someone on here that sells slim jims and I think maybey jerky as well. I bought my dehydrator at Versu, but Central World, Makro and such sells them, and liquid smoke can be found at Villa, Tops,Foodland, but is very concentrated so experiment some and marinate your meat, and dry!

Makro sells dehydrators? I have been many times and not seen one....

Makro sells dehydrators? I have been many times and not seen one....

We were at Mkro yesterday at Klon Luon and they had them! Sometimes you have to ask several people before you get thrigt answer. We had to show them that they had cases of the small coke!

• 2 weeks later...

I made Vietnamese buffalo meat jerky a few years ago. I used 5kg of lean buffalo meat hand cut into thin slices, marinated, and dried in the sun. I grilled the pieces of jerky slightly over smokey charcoal and cut the pieces into thinner strips before sharing it while still warm. It was a big hit.

The trouble was; a huge clump of expensive meat yielded a tiny bag of jerky that didn't last very long.

I agree with GinBoy2 "Ahh Jerky, how to turn a $10 piece of beef into a $0.10 piece of jerky. Buy a $100 dehydrator and your wish will come true!"

IMO buying a boiled pig's head is a much better value, but that's not what you asked about. tongue.png

Yep.

• Like 1