Thai protest leader meets PM, refuses to back down

Lite Beer

Thai protest leader meets PM, refuses to back down -

BANGKOK, December 1, 2013 (AFP) - The leader of mass opposition protests in Thailand said Sunday he had held crisis talks with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, but vowed to continue his fight to topple the government.

"I told Yingluck that this is the only and last time I see her until power is handed over to the people," Suthep Thaugsuban said in a televised speech.

"I told her the only solution is to hand over power to the people. There will be no bargaining and it must be finished in two days."

The meeting, which was held in secret in the presence of the army, navy and air force commanders, followed an eruption of violence in the Thai capital.

Police fired tear gas and water cannon at protesters trying to storm the government headquarters Sunday.

The street rallies, aimed at replacing Yingluck's government with an unelected "people's council", are the biggest since mass pro-Thaksin protests in Bangkok three years ago left dozens dead in a military crackdown.

"We will not be satisfied with house dissolution or new elections," Suthep said.

He said Yingluck did not give an answer to the demands.

Violence broke out late Saturday in the area around a suburban stadium where tens of thousands of pro-government "Red Shirts" had gathered in support of Yingluck, who has faced weeks of street protests.

Four people were killed and 57 wounded, according to Bangkok's Erawan emergency centre, although the circumstances were unclear.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-01

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone reconcille the idea of an unelected "people's council" and returning power to the people? Because I don´t see how that is supposed to work.

Beats me. He didn't even ask her to stand down. What does he figure on doing having two different heads of government.

From the report on Air Asia News he was pretty airy fairy in the meeting. Why he dosen't ask for her to disband the house and call for a new election beats me. There would be a chance of the Democrats winning it and at the worst it would weaken the PTPredshirt grip on Thailand's throat.

One might say a win win situation. Both outcomes would be far better than what we have now.wai2.gif

• Like 2

Why do people always say the government was elected? They PAID for there votes…. That is Not democratic. That is Corruption…and that is what the Yingluck Government is.

...and every other Thai- politician since...well...forever!

Edited by DocN

Next Thursday is bracing for a huge day for Thailand.There will be millions of yellow shirts being worn out in Bangkok, (not necessarily the yellow shirt mob as such)..... if one is "touched" there lays a problem for the authorities and how do they tell the difference between mob and people respectfully showing respect celebrating on such a day.

People will be in a position to "choose", Yinluck or "The Country" if out on the 5th.

It really is sad to see people dieing, regardless of who they barrack for.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Why do people always say the government was elected? They PAID for there votes…. That is Not democratic. That is Corruption…and that is what the Yingluck Government is.

You are living in fantasy land if you don't believe every single political party in Thailand doesn't engage in paying for votes.

One party appears to pay more than the others......

Interesting with the head of her three military arms there she has a warrant out for his arrest why did she not just have him carted off to jail?cheesy.gif

And give a hot start to the chaos?

At least she is showing she want to have negotiations, Suthep knows better...

Suthep is insane.

Yingluck gave him a chance. One more.

Now it is time to get rid of the criminal, violent and deadly nuisances he and his yellow thugs have created.

Yingluck and her democratically elected government can be praised for being so accommodating with such criminals.

Suthep is just trying to destroy the whole democracy. His blind followers should be condemned for supporting such a madness. The Dems will be remembered for having encouraged citizens to turn into criminals. All this because of their appetite for the power that they can't obtain through free elections.

Yingluck is far better at the helm of the government that such an extremist.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Suthep is insane.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif the pot calling the kettle black.clap2.gif

• Like 1

Yes there are handouts from all political parties to the electorate and it varies in amounts depending on how much influence you wield in your community but the way I see it is that the peoples votes were not bought but rather the people sold their vote to the highest bidders. It's an opportunist market.

You don't see many published manifestos distributed to the population before a national election here do you?

It really would be breath of fresh air if every Thai national of voting age could weigh up the pros and cons of all political nominees before arriving at a polling station and casting their vote based on well informed choice rather than tradition and greed.

• Like 1