Can I return an item at Central World?

blacksuitdandruff

Hello,

I started my Christmas shopping early.

Saturday I bought a 7000 baht+ cosmetic package gift and the next day realized that I bought the wrong type in my confusion.

Then a few moments later, I found the correct product cheaper online (abroad).

So now I would like to return the original purchase.

Is this possible at Central World?

If so, how?

What have your experiences been?

I used credit card for the purchase.

Also, the item is not damaged or used or opened.

Still in the bag that I brought it home in.

I read on this forum that anything can returned within 7 days if in salable condition with certain exceptions (like food, underwear, etc...)

True?

Thanks.

Centralworld is a shopping mall, not a store. It would depend on the store.

Most major retailers will offer 7 days return. Normally, cosmetics wouldn't be part of this. But, your unopened "gift package" might be an exception.

From Central store return policy:

5. Merchandise that cannot be returned or exchanged includes swimwear, lingerie, accessories, fashion jewelry, cosmetics & fragrances,
books & magazines, fabrics, and sale items.

Maybe they would take it on good will if it is all shrink-wrapped. Possibly you can get a voucher instead of cash back. I guess changes are better if you are a returning customer with a Central card.

5. Merchandise that cannot be returned or exchanged includes swimwear, lingerie, accessories, fashion jewelry, cosmetics & fragrances,

Maybe they would take it on good will if it is all shrink-wrapped. Possibly you can get a voucher instead of cash back. I guess changes are better if you are a returning customer with a Central card.

Reading this disclaimer, I will to say that it would be a waste of time trying to return/exchange the item. Rules is rules in Thailand and no Central employee will step up and step out outside the box.

Reading this disclaimer, I will to say that it would be a waste of time trying to return/exchange the item. Rules is rules in Thailand and no Central employee will step up and step out outside the box.

Like many things here, it depends.

Earlier this year we made a similar mistake when we purchased some Dior product at Central Bang Na. The next day we called in at the sales counter, explained the problem and were allowed to exchange the product.

The girl just asked her senior if it was okay to do so. The senior said yes and took care of the transaction herself.

Asking a refund for what was our mistake may have elicited a different outcome though.

The thing is: You won’t really know what will happen unless you go back and ask. If you don’t do this, then the answers definitely: No.

Jerry

Still being shrink wrapped means nothing. It is easy to take the genuine item out and replace with a copy, and then rewrap it.

I bought a Samsung phone once where the paper seal was broken, but because the item was wrapped in plastic, I assumed the item had not been tampered with (I think the international guarantee had been removed).

The shops have probably learnt their lessons the expensive way so no returns unless under special circumstances.

Still being shrink wrapped means nothing. It is easy to take the genuine item out and replace with a copy, and then rewrap it.

I bought a Samsung phone once where the paper seal was broken, but because the item was wrapped in plastic, I assumed the item had not been tampered with (I think the international guarantee had been removed).

The shops have probably learnt their lessons the expensive way so no returns unless under special circumstances.

On its own it means nothing. Together with some more factors it may mean something. I would say you have a decent chance if you:

• are a return customer with Central card
  • are well dressed
  • get to speak to senior at Returns
  • approach with a firm but polite tone

On the contrary, rocking up in rags with an attitude, asking a junior returns cashier will probably not secure you a return (I don't suggest that was your intention, to be clear).

On its own it means nothing. Together with some more factors it may mean something. I would say you have a decent chance if you:

• are well dressed

On the contrary, rocking up in rags with an attitude, asking a junior returns cashier will probably not secure you a return (I don't suggest that was your intention, to be clear).

Return of funds is definitely not in the equation. An exchange is possible, but that's not the goal.

Should have checked the price on e-bay first. With no resultant mistakes made.

Different continent, different rules.

Jerry

• are well dressed

After being told that an item, not on sale, not specially marked, wasn't subject to my Central Card discount, and not given any reason other than "It's just not", wearing a long sleeve shirt, big boy pants, and real shoes, I went to customer service.

The 'junior returns cashier' was as useless as expected. I had her get the supervisor. The supervisor was just as useless. No one could tell me why my item wasn't subject to the discount; "It just isn't"

I thanked them for their understand and clarification. I then picked up the scissors lying on the counter. I used them to cut my card into little pieces, tossed it in the bin, and calmly walked off.

Returning home, I called Central and had myself removed for their "program' and taken off any mailing lists. Haven't set foot in Central since.

Actually, I did return once.

After reading the details and conditions of the card, I found that items not eligible for the discount are to be marked with a red dot. I returned to find that, of the dozen or so items, on the shelf, not one was marked with a red dot. I guess that, because everyone knows these are not eligible, we don't need the dot.

In the real world, I would have legal recourse. But, since we are in Thailand, I simply choose to avoid Central.

Edited by Curt1591

• are well dressed

After being told that an item, not on sale, not specially marked, wasn't subject to my Central Card discount, and not given any reason other than "It's just not", wearing a long sleeve shirt, big boy pants, and real shoes, I went to customer service.

The 'junior returns cashier' was as useless as expected. I had her get the supervisor. The supervisor was just as useless. No one could tell me why my item wasn't subject to the discount; "It just isn't"

I thanked them for their understand and clarification. I then picked up the scissors lying on the counter. I used them to cut my card into little pieces, tossed it in the bin, and calmly walked off.

Returning home, I called Central and had myself removed for their "program' and taken off any mailing lists. Haven't set foot in Central since.

Actually, I did return once.

After reading the details and conditions of the card, I found that items not eligible for the discount are to be marked with a red dot. I returned to find that, of the dozen or so items, on the shelf, not one was marked with a red dot. I guess that, because everyone knows these are not eligible, we don't need the dot.

In the real world, I would have legal recourse. But, since we are in Thailand, I simply choose to avoid Central.

In the real world you should have read the details and conditions of the card before you went to ask about the why not.

Then you could have said there is no red dot on the item so it is subject to discount.

When they told me that the item was not part of the program, they are the ones that should have pointed out the stipulation.

It took some research to dig up the stipulation. The "red dot" stipulation was buried in their website. It was not on the paper contract they handed me with the card.

No one could tell me anything other than the classic Thai sentiment, "Just the way it is."

UPDATE...

first off, thank you for all those who responded on point.

the return was successful and a chargeback to my credit card was made.

went into Zen without calling before hand and talked to the sales person who went to get the 'manager'. i spoke only english and explained my situation calmly and asked for a solution. they said they could and did. it took about 10 minutes. they weren't super happy, but they weren't rude either. sort of a matter of the fact, though i could tell that they would have liked me not to make them initiate a return and do any additional work (which is normal).

glad it worked out.

on a related note... i've returned things to large lower-end stores like Big C and Tesco with and without receipts up to a month or more for cash refunds, even sometimes things that were already opened and slightly used. speaking english even though one can speak thai is a better way to go. i've had thai friends say that such things i have been able to do with returns is impossible.

sometimes it's good to be a friendly foreigner smile.png sometimes.

Edited by blacksuitdandruff

Last year bought a fruit juice blender from Central Chit Lom, used it once and found that's not the right one, clean it up and pack it back into the origial box and brought it back the next day for refund. No question asked and they just refund me in voucher.

Thailand is good with this 7 days refund system.

Last year bought a fruit juice blender from Central Chit Lom, used it once and found that's not the right one, clean it up and pack it back into the origial box and brought it back the next day for refund. No question asked and they just refund me in voucher.

Thailand is good with this 7 days refund system.

And that's exactly what's threatening the system.

Customers who return their used goods "as new". Someone else will pay the full price for the blender, notice a speck of fruit on a knife or another sign of use, go back with the item and have to argue, because now it's obviously not in salable condition.

I am always very careful about buying electronics, I know how many people abuse the return policies and take home stuff on a whim, use it for a few days and then get bored and take it back for a refund. Sometimes it's all packed up and virtually new, but other times you find that a small vital part is missing or that there are scuffs. The shop will of course do their best to mask that it's an opened (and used) item.