Applying for a Burmese visa next week in Bangkok?

Next sunday december 8th I will arrive in Bangkok, main reason is to apply for a Burmese visa (and leave december 12th for Burma).

Already booked a room close to Khao San Road (Banglamphu). But the unrest in Bangkok made me think of plan B and even plan C. Plan B would be to change to a hotel further away from the center (I was thinking of the Bangkok Rama hotel, 1546 Pattanakarn Road, between Pattanakarn 48 and 50). Plan C would be not to stay in Bangkok but apply for a Burmese visa in Kuala Lumpur and just change planes on Bangkok Airport on december 12th. Would like to have some honest thoughts from people who know Bangkok well and will have a better view on the current situation and the places of unrest in Bangkok.

About also a few questions:

• Are the protests likely to go up again after the King's Birthday (dec 5th) and would it be wise not to stay in Banglamphu? And better choose another part of Bangkok?
  • Will I be able to get (2 days) to the Embassay of Myanmar (132 Sathon Nuea Rd)?
  • Or just skip Bangkok and get my visa in Kuala Lumpur?
  • Any other thoughts about this?

Thanks answering,

Harry

No one can predict if the protesters are likely to go up again after the King's Birthday (Dec 5th) so it is impossible to know if it would be wise to stay in Banglamphu or anywhere else.

You probably will be able to get to the Embassy of Myanmar and wait around in Bangkok (somewhere quiet) for the two days you need to get your visa even if there are fresh protests of even, god forbid, a coup.

Skipping Bangkok and getting your visa in in Kuala Lumpur is a good backup plan if the situation is really very dire. Given the additional cost I would not consider this option at the moment although that may need to be reconsidered depending on how things are once you are already here. A lot can change between now and then.

Some other thoughts.... Personally I would not pre-book a hotel until the day before I arrive if at all. You could even stay near the Suvarnabhumi Airport where there is unlikely to be any fuss even if the demonstrations are full on. The Airport Link elevated train is cheap and fast.

Another option is to stay in Pattaya. A lot of people have started taking the Airport-Pattaya Express bus together with the Airport Link elevated train as the best way to and from Pattaya and Bangkok. This as opposed to taxis or regular buses.

Personally, I think the worst case scenario would be some sort of general strike. Where all trains and buses etc, and certain dept. at the Airport etc. are shut down. This IMO is extremely unlikely.

Other thoughts? This is not something you can plan for now and best handled by quick thinking by you once you are here with your boots on the ground.

You WILL get your visa and I hope you have a wonderful time in Myanmar.

Edited by 96tehtarp