Lump from bump on head won't go away

Shoeboat

Two weeks ago I received an knock to the left side of my head just above my ear. For a couple of days I had a bruise and general swelling which has reduced in diameter to a small lump which shows no signs whatsoever of vanishing. It should have cleared up after a couple of days but it hasn't and it's somewhat unsightly as I am not blessed with enough hair to cover it.

I'm guessing it's some kind of cyst caused by tissue displacement or over active cell reproduction during healing. Where can I go to have this swiftly and cheaply diagnosed and, preferably, removed at the same time?

This is probably due to bleeding; blunt injuries to the head or scalp can bleed profusely. The bleeding stops as a result of the pressure inside the hematoma. It will not disappear in 2 weeks but usually takes substantially longer.

Trying to aspirate it or puncture it in any way may lead to renewed bleeding and/or infection. No easy way out here, I'm afraid.

Of course have it evaluated by an emergency room doctor to confirm that it is in fact a hematoma.

• Like 1