My Lucky Day.

Norway

Dear people.

Today i got my first fine in Thailand :D and i hope it will be the last. I was walking quietly on the sidewalk close to Nana skytrain station when i did my big blunder... I throw my sigarette on the ground, well actually not on the ground because i never do. It was in the sewer, i wait until i find one of those smelly hole in the ground coz somehow i find that a bit acceptable. But only for sigarettes, for other kind of rubbish i use the dustbin as most people. I find it a bit dangerous to throw sigarettes in the bin. A police man observed me in my cruel performance, and didn't agree in my way of thinking "bin for everything" he said. After he caught me i had to follow him to their small police stall to be charged. A fine was the only solution for my crime and he kindly explained to me that for this kind of act he had to charge me minimum 2000 Baht. They also had a big sign which confirmed what he said. But after giving me the impression that he felt sorry for me, he reduced the fine. I had to pay 1000 Baht because after all i did throw it in the sewer and not on the ground. Now i kindly explained that i didn't have 1000 Bath, he didn't believe me and wanted to see my wallet. Lucky for me i didn't have 1000 Baht this time, only 750 and i needed some money for Skytrain and taxi. I could only spare 500 and lucky for me they accepted, i didn't get arrested :D . I got my receipt for the money and walked on as a free man thinking that this had to be my LUCKY day :o . So everyone, before throwing your sigarette next time, look first to your left and then to your right because police in Thailand don't have that much to do. Anyway i guess i desereved my fine because i did the wrong thing... didn't i?.

LOL :D

Well sounds familiar,

Almost the same happened to me in november last year.

Walking on the weekend market, throwing my cigarette on the

ground (because there are NO bins whatsoever !) 30 seconds later

a policeman showed up and told me to follow to YES INDEED a small

police stall (Must be mobile, because it shows up everywhere in BKK :D )

They pointed to a BIG poster with rules against littering and I had to pay

1000 Baht, 3 policeman at the stable looked at me very seriously and this

perfect 3some wrote me a ticket... (1st one wrote, 2nd stamped it and 3rd officer

handed it over and politely accepted the money)

Bkk seems to care su much for clean streets, but where the ##### are

the dustbins to leave your cigarettes and chewing gum ???

Try to walk Sukhumvit and count !!!! I know 1 at Robinsons and indeed some

hole's in the ground.....:D

Looks like this is a good way to get some money out of tourists, because the

fine for Thai people is only 100 Baht !!!!

If they would invest little mony in dustbins WITH ashtray (otherwise the will

be burned out in a week) the street would look much better and cleaner.

Last time I noticed an improvement between soi 16 and 22, due to the APEC

the sidewalk was covered with new concrete and even some new Dustbins !!!

There must be hope.....

next week when i'm in Bkk I will buy myself a nice matchbox and use that

as an ashtray :D Saves 1000 baht and a girlfriend laughing for days because

I payed a "farang penalty" :o

Got caught in weekend market the same way. Passed the little temporary police booth and while I was smoking a cigarette. They scoped me out and must have followed me for at least six or seven minutes. Despite looking everywhere for a bin, I finally ground it out on the pavement as I was in imminent danger of catching fire and completely unaware that I was being followed. Within seconds, already one or two rows inside the market, up pops a trash police and drags me back to the farang taxation office. They proudly pointed to a sign that took me a good few minutes to realize it was printed in english. Very ornate printing that at first, second and even third glance looks like thai script. Went through the complete process with a frozen smile and jai yen which probably helped me get from 2000 baht to 1000 baht. Here is a tip though, dont hang around. I sat and watched scores of thais throw garbage all over the street and watched the officers follow other farangs right into the market. Kinda hard on the jai yen program, best to pay the fine and beat feet. TIT

I love this...you advise that by disposing of a cigarette on the sidewalk one is liable to a fine. Does this happen in Singapore? Bangkok is a filthy polluted shithole on par with Jakarta...the pavements on Sukhumvit resemble an unwashed charnelhouse.

Say it loudly...BEWARE...COPS IN BANGKOK WILL FINE YOU 1000 BAHT FOR SMOKING IN PUBLIC. Tack that on to the other restrictions and have honest tourist agents redirect the unsuspecting public to a less hostile place.

SHUT THIS PLACE DOWN NOW.

george...yeah, quite in my cups...I want to see banners and masses of people marching chorusing the International down Sukhumvit to correct abuses and to justify the way of the expat falang to the world...

(ohh, boo hoo hoo, sniff...)

and I want to be on the back platform of a train from Bangkok to anywhere and when I pass fighters and workers shall wave their hats and shout 'Strelnikoff...'.

I want to be larger than life!!!

Ickk...this Sang Som 'rum' tastes like <deleted>...

Well if i could find some sympathy for the smokers out there then i would happily dish it out but.. sorry... i dont believe there is any excuse for throwing ur rubbish around.

There is one plain and simple answer for all your woes...

If there is no bins...... Hold it until u do find one or just dont smoke

Im not a greeny or anything like that but in AUS if u get caught throwing a cigarette butt anywhere u cop a very hefty fine of not just 1000 baht ..... Its $1000 AUD. A melbourne man was fined $1000 for throwing it out his car window. And there aint no way of talking the police down in AUs.

SOrry guys... i really dont think u have much cause for complaint... Anyways... thats just my opinion. :o

'A Melbourne man has been fined $1000 for flicking cigarette butts out of his car window. He is believed to be the first person to receive such a hefty fine under new provisions to crack down on littering.

Erdel Korten, 35, was prosecuted after a Surf Coast Shire law officer saw him throwing lit butts from his car while driving through a total fire banned area near Torquay, and as he continued along the Great Ocean Road to Anglesea.

Korken appeared in Geelong Magistrate's Court last week and was fined $1000. His driving license was suspended for two months.'

I refuse to believe that such restrictions exist in civilized countries...California I can understand because I used to live there.

I hereby declare that I shall wander the streets of BKK spewing tobacco juice with saliva interspersed with Marlboro butts cast upon pavement in full view of the police...

I know karate and shall not be taken alive...

Norway, do you throw cigarettes on the ground at Karl Johan?

On the other hand Melbourne and Bangkok is not really comparative.

At last it would maybe be an idea to implement the rules to their own citizens before they regulate their gests.

It’s only to walk out in the soi from our homes and we se how things are in practise.

My opinion.

I've been done a few times but have only ever paid a 200 baht fine. Once for stubbing out in a flower bed near the Emporium (no bin in sight) and more recently for dropping it down a storm drain outside immigration (again no bin in sight). On both occasions the officers were jovial and my apologies were warmly accepted. Som Nam Na. :o

Norway - seems like we were both caught in the same place :D right on the corner of soi 4, I got away with 200 baht, but it was funny!

It makes me laugh, that I payed a fine for that, but back in those days (5 years ago), I came off of my motor bike drunk and the police helped me get back on and gave me a push - Amuseing Thailand - everyday is an adventure :o

Tutsi - "I love this...you advise that by disposing of a cigarette on the sidewalk one is liable to a fine. Does this happen in Singapore? "

It does, indeed, happen in Singapore. Fines are commonplace for littering, but the major differenences are that fines are applied evenly, irrespective of whether you are a local or ang moh - farang, and there are rubbish bins with ashtrays on the top every few metres. Added to the fine, you are 'employed' in cleaning actions along the street - very humiliating for the person stuck in an obvious-looking outfit.

Maybe all of this is one reason why you don't see a lot of rubbish lying around, once the people get it into their skulls that when something is not on, it becomes second nature.

Bangkok is a filthy place, garbage everywhere, filthy seemingly unregulated exhaust emissions, open sewers. . . Surely enforcement of fines for littering are not a bad thing, as long as it is enforced across the board.

Talk about black and white - I flew from Bangkok to Tokyo yesterday . . . Difficult to believe that this is the same geographical area.

'A Melbourne man has been fined $1000 for flicking cigarette butts out of his car window.

:D This happened to a mate of mine a few years ago, however can't remember if the fine was $1000. Apparently another driver reported her (must have been a greeny) - I found it all rather amusing. Couldn't care less if someone's a smoker, but there's no excuse for litter - except laziness :o

Has happened to me also,

same as sickboy , outside immigration, throwing it down the drain as I was getting into a taxi, heavy hand on the shoulder...follow me

though I smoke rollies with very thin papers which I am sure would breakdown faster than the reciept I recieved for my 500 baht.......

but... som nam na

:o

NORWAY

A friend of mine, a few years ago, was caught throwing his cig. on a pavement along Sukhumvit, when the 'officer' stopped him and told him to pick it up he did so and then put it down a storm drain, the 'officer' then gleefully informed him that the fine for fouling the pavement was 2,000 Baht but the fine for putting his rubbish down a storm drain was 10,000 Baht! as he was 'fouling the water ways of Thailand'!!!!

He ended up paying 100 Baht, probably because he speaks faultless Thai !!!

BEWARE OF STORM DRAINS!!!

I've been done a few times but have only ever paid a 200 baht fine. Once for stubbing out in a flower bed near the Emporium (no bin in sight)

Me too, 200B, and don't even think of fleeing the scene, those little boys in brown have a push bike. :D The Emporium area is a great source of rev for the MiB :o

They have a dedicated booth at the corner of the street entrance to the Bkk Immigration Office. Also mind the plateform junction from MBK to Discovery. If you're very polite and wai a little for mercy you can make it for 300B.

It's boring but take it like a game when you cross cops, smoking quietly, let them think you're an easy prey for a while, and find the next bin ! If you cannot, ask them ! A big smile right after is always a pleasure.

As my best friend says: they like to think Bangkok is the capital of a developped country. Let them rave.

Tip: if no bin, when done, squeeze to remove the burnt part and put the filter into your cigarette packet or your pocket. Clean and easy.

They have a dedicated booth at the corner of the street entrance to the Bkk Immigration Office. Also mind the plateform junction from MBK to Discovery. If you're very polite and wai a little for mercy you can make it for 300B.

It's boring but take it like a game when you cross cops, smoking quietly, let them think you're an easy prey for a while, and find the next bin ! If you cannot, ask them ! A big smile right after is always a pleasure.

As my best friend says: they like to think Bangkok is the capital of a developped country. Let them rave.

Tip: if no bin, when done, squeeze to remove the burnt part and put the filter into your cigarette packet or your pocket. Clean and easy.

and really cheap too. :o

Yeah, Norway, exact thing happened to me about 5 years ago just before the Asian Games when they were really promoting clean streets. Only cost me B200. From then on I have "field-stripped" my cigarettes. Twist the cherry off with remaining tobacco onto the ground, rub it out with foot (bio-degradable; non-evidential), fold it up and stick it in pocket or carry to next dustbin. Many of the sewers lead directly to Chao Praya and littering is littering.

BTW--In California it is a $2000 fine for throwing litter from a moving vehicle, but for cigarette butts it is greater because of the risk of fire.

Last week I was 'fined' 1000 baht when driving from Don Muang airport into BKK. I was driving in a good maner towards the tollway when a traffic cop pulled me over (ignoring all the other cars driven by Thais). He explained to my Thai GF that I was not allowed to drive down this road (yes its true!!). Strange because I have driven down this road 100 times before. He gave us the option of accompanying him to the police station or paying 1000 baht fine. To avoid hassle we paid him the 1000 baht. He waved us off and I watched him pocket the money and shake hands/smile with his traffic cop partner. My GF was furious because she knew this cop was corrupt and saw farang as an easy target.

I think next time I will carry a camera in the car to get prove of these types of incidents

Simon

Same again. Was robbed on Rama IV at the junction near Lotus. The cop clocked me waiting at the lights and jumped out in front of me as soon as the lights changed. He demanded 1000 Baht. When I asked what exactly I had done wrong he suggested that we go and sort it out at the station. Haggled him down to 200 baht which he pocketed.

I suppose I've been lucky really. In 11 years here I've only been blatently robbed twice by our shit coloured friends although I've quite rightly been fined for the odd illegal U-turn and trying to beat the traffic lights.

Last week the police were stopping drivers as they entered the expressway at Bang Na with total disregard for the other drivers waiting to pay the toll. Muppets! :o

Like Dr. Pat correctly stated it would help if the police were paid a decent wage so they would be less tempted to do this sort of thing.

Our Dear Leader was a copper wasn't he? He hasn't done too bad for himself has he? :D

they removed the rubbish bins the day before they instituted the fine

i was stopped on soi1 shortly after the law came in

i was shown the brochure and told i had to pay a 2000 baht fine for a butt i had allegedly tossed a couple hundred yards back.

so i took him back to the alleged site of my infraction, where there were dozens of butts on the ground and asked him to point mine out to me

he stared to look or scratch his head or something and i pointed out, just to help out, that i was smoking lao cigarettes

since i was speaking isaan thai he asked me where i was from

nong khai, said i

well go away sez he

no fine

Ah Seatimes, you clearly benefited from the famous double-pricing rule in Thailand. Since I am an ignornant and rich farang I paid a load of dosh to the guy. Since you are a seasoned resident fluent in the local (and not so local) languages, you paid ... er ... nothing!!

Seems pretty democratic doesn't it?

Simon

Same again. Was robbed on Rama IV at the junction near Lotus. The cop clocked me waiting at the lights and jumped out in front of me as soon as the lights changed. He demanded 1000 Baht. When I asked what exactly I had done wrong he suggested that we go and sort it out at the station. Haggled him down to 200 baht which he pocketed.

I suppose I've been lucky really. In 11 years here I've only been blatently robbed twice by our shit coloured friends although I've quite rightly been fined for the odd illegal U-turn and trying to beat the traffic lights.

Last week the police were stopping drivers as they entered the expressway at Bang Na with total disregard for the other drivers waiting to pay the toll. Muppets! :o

Like Dr. Pat correctly stated it would help if the police were paid a decent wage so they would be less tempted to do this sort of thing.

Our Dear Leader was a copper wasn't he? He hasn't done too bad for himself has he? :D

I think that he went out on his own to earn a lttle bit more than a Police Lt. Colonel takes home :D Proved a point didn't he ? :D

The action is going on for years. At the beginning very active, with police promoting a new method, two guys on a motorbike, one driving the other one taking a video or a car with open windows. Logically thinking, if the windows are open, sooner or later the driver will throw something out, than we have it on tape.

LOL.

The action is going on for years. At the beginning very active, with police promoting a new method, two guys on a motorbike, one driving the other one taking a video or a car with open windows. Logically thinking, if the windows are open, sooner or later the driver will throw something out, than we have it on tape.

LOL.

It has to be a load of effort for little return Axel .... most seem to get out of it for 200 baht :o

As for traffic violations:

I was driving home on my motorbike completely plastered, and got stuck on a rather long lasting red light. It should have been a warning that all the Thais were waiting obidiently, but I thought "what the heck" and did my right turn. Immediatly a M.i.B. stopped me and agitatedly stated "chai ron mai dai". I guess he took it as a personal offense that I had blatantly ignored him and was pretty angry at first. After I apologized and he realized that I was drunk and simply hadn't seen him, he turned friendly, and after I paid my unreceipted 200, he stopped the traffic so I could do my turn!

As for traffic violations:

I was driving home on my motorbike completely plastered, and got stuck on a rather long lasting red light. It should have been a warning that all the Thais were waiting obidiently, but I thought "what the heck" and did my right turn. Immediatly a M.i.B. stopped me and agitatedly stated "chai ron mai dai". I guess he took it as a personal offense that I had blatantly ignored him and was pretty angry at first. After I apologized and he realized that I was drunk and simply hadn't seen him, he turned friendly, and after I paid my unreceipted 200, he stopped the traffic so I could do my turn!

Did you invest in a lottery ticket afterwards ? With luck like that you should have :o