Bangkok - Descent into chaos

webfact

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One solution would have been the opposite of Amnesty, basically Amnestybusters with a new independent watchdog authority, appointed by representatives of a much-loved and magnificent person who is respected nationwide, this would cement the mandate for the anti-corruption team to go through Govt and other high-state apparatus with the proverbial chainsaw, cutting out anything and anybody that is even remotely corrupt.

This would be a long process. But it can be balanced out with new appointments of fresh law-abiding politicians.

Thaksin would be ordered again to return for his sentence. His family would pay the price of his refusal, legally and financially, since his family have shown they are just taking orders from him anyway, they can be classed as complicit and harboring.

End result is a very empty political sphere, slowly filling up with new players who are a lot more wary of scams and schemes. Ruled over by a regally-appointed law&order watchdog, with great big teefs . New politicians come in and behave with respect, and within the law. The democratic process moves forward. The policy mechanism finally starts to function at its optimum potential. People dance and sing.The crowd goes wild.

Posted Image

Problem is this would also nail great numbers of red and Team Thaksin people, cutting off scores, right at the knees.

I don't like the fact that I predicted this outcome several weeks ago, as I always felt that the situation would become so dire that YL would have no option but to resign and call for new elections. In any other democracy in the world this would have happened weeks ago, as there is no point in trying to hold on to power when it is clear that a huge proportion of the population is against you.

Unfortunately, this is not a democracy at all, it is an autocracy created by a fugitive criminal who did not have the guts to return to his home country and 'face the music', but instead, felt that he could run the country from afar. Sitting in comfort in Dubai he will no doubt be telling his sister and his other well-paid employees to hang in there because victory is in sight. Sadly, he couldn't be further from the truth...!

What we currently have is a last ditch heavy-handed attempt to use the police to "appease" the crowd, but there is no appeasing this crowd. This government has to fall in order to end this, and the police have to withdraw before we start to see real civil war.

As I've said before, these people are not being paid to be there, they are there because they are passionate about their demand to see real democracy in this country. If TS and YL cannot see this, then they will go down in history as being responsible for the destruction of a once beautiful country.

what? did you say the same thing when the reds (who do out number the yellows) were protesting?

this country needs to learn to not throw out the government every year. its not good for business, the country, or the people. if Thai's keep throwing out any government that doesnt garner 60% of the population, there would never be a government. how many democracies do you know that there is no opposition with a large portion of the populous?

make sure the amnesty bill is dead, then go home and prepare for the next election coming in a couple years.

make sure the amnesty bill is dead, then go home and prepare for the next election coming in a couple years.

So easy if you bring logic into the equation.

the 60 or so millions of voters

What 60 or so millions of voters? There are nowhere near that number of registered voters in Thailand.

I believe the poster thinks newborns and ll those under 18 can vote . . . perhaps it is people like this poster who shouldn't be allowed to vote - anywhere - if his level of intelligence can be gauged by this comment

Firstly, given that the population of Thailand currently stands at 69.5 million, a vote of almost 15.75 million represents less than 23% support, which is hardly a majority. That indicates that a huge proportion of the population did not vote for her, so there is little need for me to further expand on my earlier statement.

Did you vote? Because you're an expat living in Thailand you've just included yourself in those figures. You also included my 3 year old son, and I guarantee you he was nowhere near a polling booth in 2011. There's a significant difference between population and elegible voters. The 15,744,190 people who voted PTP represented 48.41% of the popular vote.

I'm not here to disagree with you, but your arguments would have more credibility if there were even loosely based on fact.

Oh, feel free to disagree . . . especially if it is rubbish

maybe they should do something new in this counry

ONLY PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY PAY TAXES CAN VOTE

so all those poor farmers could no be bought with 500 baht to vote for mr. T

Nearly all Thais pay taxes, but mostly they pay flat VAT tax and excise which affect the poor much more than the rich. Restricting voting rights to the rich via an income tax test is an unworkable form of elitism, though this could be overcome by dropping the threshold rate to a quite low figure. It has been argued in some western countries that welfare recipients should not be able to vote as politicians will pander to them with increased/more accessible welfare (as PTP do to low income farmers) but it is generally considered undemocratic.

• Like 1

This might shed a little light about the motivations behind "the great people who fight for democracy and power to the people?" ... is it truly "to the people", or is it "to one single man" who lost his rank due to corruption and other "foggy" activities...

Suthep Thaugsuban (Thai: สุเทพ เทือกสุบรรณ; RTGS: Suthep Thueaksuban, [sù.tʰêːp tʰɯ̂ːak.sù.ban]) (born 7 July 1949, Tha Sathon, Phunphin District, Surat Thani Province) is a Thai politician, and Member of Parliament for Surat Thani province. Until 2011, he was secretary-general of the Democrat Party and deputy prime minister under Abhisit Vejjajiva.

1995 to present corruption scandal

As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Suthep addressed a huge crowd in his Surat Thani constituency a month before a no-confidence debate and called on his supporters to march on Bangkok in the hundreds of thousands to defend his reputation.[2] The scandal led Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai of the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate.[3] In subsequent elections, the Chart Thai party won a majority, leading to the downfall of Chuan Leekpai's Democrat Party-led government.

2009 disqualification as MP

In 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by the Constitutional Court to disqualify Suthep and 12 other Democrat MPs for having allegedly violated the charter. Suthep held a press conference a day later, announcing his decision to resign from Parliament. Suthep's resignation as an MP did not affect his status as Deputy Prime Minister and as a Cabinet member. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister. He insisted that his resignation was not a proof that he had done something wrong but that he was worried about status as Deputy Prime Minister.[4]

2011 elections

In the general election on 3 July 2011, the Democrats were defeated. Suthep stepped down as the party's secretary-general immediately. When the government of successful Pheu Thai Party-leader Yingluck Shinawatra took office on 9 August, his term as deputy prime minister ended.

Good research.

This guy is the pot calling the kettle black.

And you've got one side of the political equation who cannot field a majority in an election and their resorts are a coup and installation of their power by force. Illegitimate power grabs, repeatedly, and deservedly thrown out. Witness the mobs running as 'protestors' and Suthep all pumped up on having fielded a mob's power and using any pretext to castigate the government for abuse of power. Yingluck's government has wisely given them nothing while letting them run riot and exposing Suthep who admonishes his supporters to do whatever's necessary to grab power ("laws must be broken...").

Looking forward to the government putting this guy back in his box and turning the key.

• Like 1

the population of Thailand currently stands at 69.5 million

The population at the last election was 66.7 million.

a vote of almost 15.75 million represents less than 23% support

It was 48.1% of the popular vote.

so there is little need for me to further expand on my earlier statement.

Of course not, you can go on making stuff up.

what happened two years ago is of little relevance to the political stage here in Thailand today.

It has everything to do with it.

• Like 2

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's whereabouts were unknown yesterday although her secretary said that she was still in Thailand, discounting earlier rumours that she had left the country."

Undoubtedly she will be off to Paris, London then New York to do her Christmas shipping and partying with friends and family soon.

How nice for her.

Undoubtedly? Well, if you have no doubts that is a good thing . . . Others? I'm sure they have their doubts about your statement

I think you are quite wrong about voting eligibility, in your knee-jerk need for anti-Thaskin rhetoric. Really, the guy is a repulsive creation but to throw out false info is simply minimising his works

As for the qualifications of an eligible voter, he or she must be a Thai national. If the voter acquires Thai nationality by naturaization, he or she must have held Thai nationality for not less than five years. The voter must be at least 18 years old on 1 January 2007. His or her name must appear on the house registration in the constituency for at least 90 days up to the date of the election.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_news.php?id=2788&a=2

So...are you suggesting to take away the right to vote from a few million people, because they are too poor?

Isn't that basically a "dont let the stupid farmers from Isan vote" in disguise?

• Like 2

This might shed a little light about the motivations behind "the great people who fight for democracy and power to the people?" ... is it truly "to the people", or is it "to one single man" who lost his rank due to corruption and other "foggy" activities...

Suthep Thaugsuban (Thai: สุเทพ เทือกสุบรรณ; RTGS: Suthep Thueaksuban, [sù.tʰêːp tʰɯ̂ːak.sù.ban]) (born 7 July 1949, Tha Sathon, Phunphin District, Surat Thani Province) is a Thai politician, and Member of Parliament for Surat Thani province. Until 2011, he was secretary-general of the Democrat Party and deputy prime minister under Abhisit Vejjajiva.

1995 to present corruption scandal

As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Suthep addressed a huge crowd in his Surat Thani constituency a month before a no-confidence debate and called on his supporters to march on Bangkok in the hundreds of thousands to defend his reputation.[2] The scandal led Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai of the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate.[3] In subsequent elections, the Chart Thai party won a majority, leading to the downfall of Chuan Leekpai's Democrat Party-led government.

2009 disqualification as MP

In 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by the Constitutional Court to disqualify Suthep and 12 other Democrat MPs for having allegedly violated the charter. Suthep held a press conference a day later, announcing his decision to resign from Parliament. Suthep's resignation as an MP did not affect his status as Deputy Prime Minister and as a Cabinet member. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister. He insisted that his resignation was not a proof that he had done something wrong but that he was worried about status as Deputy Prime Minister.[4]

2011 elections

In the general election on 3 July 2011, the Democrats were defeated. Suthep stepped down as the party's secretary-general immediately. When the government of successful Pheu Thai Party-leader Yingluck Shinawatra took office on 9 August, his term as deputy prime minister ended.

WOW, the truth about Suthep's corruption right here in black and white, the thaivisa leftwingers aren't going to like thisbiggrin.png

• Like 1

The "chemically treated water" mentioned in the article is "just" water with a purple dye.

Most water cannons have a tank built in that can put such a dye into the water at a touch of a button. The dye marks the protesters' clothes so the authorities can identify them easily later (in theory).

It's not technically a chemical weapon, but the dye is apparently toxic, and can cause rashes and possibly even skin cancer.

Except that in this case you don't know do you, you are just speculating, right? That is unless you were involved in preparing the water cannons that were being used yesterday afternoon at barricades on Chamai Maruchet bridge at the intersection of P'lock and Rama V rds,

What i can say is that the water did not have a dye - it may have had an invisible dye but not a obvious dye visible to the naked eye. Nor did those doused have any dye on their clothes. (I can't speak for the reported use of water cannons at Police HQ on Rama 1).

It is obviously easy to add any type of irritant, dye or chemical for crowd control purposes. Short of someone actually taking a water sample yesterday and testing it or a CAPO official confirming the addition of chemical irritants, everything else is pure speculation either way.

the end of corruption in the election process.

After that they can tackle ending rain on Sundays.

I would not be so cynical if I were you. That is the exact same attitude that holds Thailand back.

I bet you have found life a pretty tough challenge if that is the way you think.

You must find life itself a pretty uneventful thing when you have the attitude of 'giving up before you start.

It is not the cynicism of foreigners which holds back Thailand.

• Like 1

problem with an election is that Yingluck would be re elected. They have the money to pay for the votes needed. I think most people would like the whole Shinawatra clan out of Thailand for good

I disagree with your point that YL would be re-elected. What this is all about is getting this government out and bringing in an interim administration that would put in place measures to ensure that the Shin clan would never be allowed to take over power again.

After the current government has fallen, it will not be too difficult to convince all parties once the full extent of the rape of this country is revealed.

I suspect the coffers will be virtually empty when these villains have all suddenly disappeared only to reappear with their beloved leader in Dubai.

Where is YL right now....?!

Shopping!!

Don't you know the pre-Christmas sales are on now.

I seen this paying out for votes. It really works up in Isaan. One hundred percent.

Never heard of the pork barrel ? Politics everywhere is about paying for votes - that free healthcare is a bitch though isn't it?

RIP to the victims and thank you so much to everyone involved for ruining yet another tourist season. I am quite sure that tour, hotel and resort owners very much appreciate your efforts in damaging Thailand's already fragile reputation to the breaking point.

It is to be respected that someone starts a post with remembering the victims. Good stuff that as most neglect to acknowledge that fact.

On the tourism front I wouldn't be concerned at all. As foreigners most of us tend to both inflated the industries economic reality it is only around 7.5% of GDP and exaggerate the potential for disaster. The reality is that the mass Thai tourism industry keeps growing from around 8m at the start of the century to over 22m last year and heading for 23.5m this year. TAT is expecting over 30m in a few years. (I'm not commenting on quality of product or service standards here).

In that time it has endured SARS in 03, the Tsunami in late 04, protests and a coup in 06, the GFC from 07/08, PAD protests and the airports shutdown in 08, violent protests in 09 & 2010 resulting in numerous deaths and injuries, the floods of 2011......

I wouldn't worry for the owners as they are generally making good profits. I'd be more concerned for service workers, factory workers & migrant workers who lose work days when their workplace is affected by protests on the streets.

Short a nuke bomb being dropped in Thailand the industry appears to be impervious to nearly everything.

• Like 1

A lot of rubbish written by a man with no what so ever understanding of how a democracy is functioning, fully in line with Mr Suthep. And a totally disregard and contempt for the 60 or so millions of voters sitting at home, people who have elected the present goverment in to office. We can all have conspiracy teories, but i think we should be careful to voice them so clearly. When the law is broken time and time again i think any elected government has the right under its constitution to defend itself, king and people. The people on the streets now and their leaders have by now broken all rules in the book, and have already given up their right in my opinion to be heard. And when i hear the proclamation of peoples committes to run the country, what comes to mind is Pol Pot, North Korea and the old Soviet Union, they all had and have people committes and we all know the result of that.

First SENSIBLE post I have read in this thread of complete sickos who are supporting criminals that are nothing more than thugs that are breaking every law in the book.

The only way to remove a LEGALLY elected government is to have elections but that know they cannot will just like the past several of them, so the only other way is to take control by force.

I hope Suthep gets whats coming to him.

Sensible in your opinion.

Unfortunately, the PM/DM does not appear to consider resigning or dissolving the house, as her brother has instructed her to cling on to power for as long as possible. If they would, as you say, win again, then why doesn't she go to the people?

Wait for her term to expire - maybe. But how do you remove a government that has acted illegally, refuses to obey the law and cheats parliamentary procedures?

When dealing with criminals, sometimes strong action has to be taken.

Most of the PTP voters I know, nearly all in fact, would not vote PTP were a snap election to be called. They are so incensed at PTP's lies, inept management and the open control and influence of someone who is a criminal fugitive.

I suspect the coffers will be virtually empty when these villains have all suddenly disappeared only to reappear with their beloved leader in Dubai.

This is basically what I said yesterday while I was discussing the matter with friends. Yingluck is only delaying the inevitable (resign and have an new election) so that the countries coffers can be emptied. If she is so confident that her party would win another election why not just put it to the vote.

The point is that this is not the good timing for PTP. Election means more money to be paid in rural area, while they haven't cashed out from tax money yet as their both mega projects are still on hold. coffee1.gif

So insufficient funds to buy votes becomes a legitimate reason to delay elections...wow... xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

Hopefully we are finally seeing the end of the Shin era.

With similar fears of violent protests, being deseminated and sensatinalized during and after the recent elections here in Cambodia, it would appear they managed the situation far better here. Even more reason to move to Cambodia.

The Shin era, it sounds like a disastrous period for Thailand? At least the Shinawatra (elected) Government did efforts to make the gap between rich and poor smaller. Not sth you can say of our Oxford Smiley Abhisit (guess his children share the same mindset as Tony's Blair kids: "Love my dad but is he really 100%?"), it was during his government that Thailand tumbled extremely down on the List of Countries monitored by Human Right Watch.

When Thaksin lands, I will be present to welcome him! Some counterweight against the rich bullies incl. General Prem who think they can (over)rule their population.

Will you be meeting him to help escort him to jail? Or do you favour the whitewash of his criminal conviction and outstanding serious criminal charges?

Could you explain all this wonderful work that you believe Thaksin governments and proxy governments have achieved for the poor?

It would be interesting to check the asset growth of all those involved in government over the last 10 years, the real assets, not the fairy stories and honest mistakes, and compare that to the increases in the poor's assets you think have improved.

So...are you suggesting to take away the right to vote from a few million people, because they are too poor?

Isn't that basically a "dont let the stupid farmers from Isan vote" in disguise?

Or maybe only people who pay taxes and have assets above a certain value ? Or have a Uni degree? Or any other exclusion we can think up..............

Going back to how Europe was a few hundred years ago!

Always good to read a progressive post !

• Like 1

problem with an election is that Yingluck would be re elected. They have the money to pay for the votes needed. I think most people would like the whole Shinawatra clan out of Thailand for good

But that is exactly what all these protests are trying to achieve.

The end of the Thaksin regime and any involvement with politics and the end of corruption in the election process.

Suthep has said this many times (almost daily).

end of corruption in the election process...naive.

I disagree with your point that YL would be re-elected. What this is all about is getting this government out and bringing in an interim administration that would put in place measures to ensure that the Shin clan would never be allowed to take over power again.

After the current government has fallen, it will not be too difficult to convince all parties once the full extent of the rape of this country is revealed.

Where is YL right now....?!

Who chooses or appoints the interim administration? Who defines the limits of its authority and term in office?

I don't think there are many politicians, regardless of party membership, that are not already aware of the full extent of corruption - what do they need to be convinced of is that it isn't their turn at the trough (and good luck with that).