Bangkok - Descent into chaos

webfact

Its funny how the word democracy is thrown around these days. Does anyone even know what the word means? How can you call any country (especially the US) a democracy when everyone is just voting for a person to dictate for 4 years.

Democracy at its most fundamental level is about giving power of rule to the people, not giving power to the people to choose who rules them.... surely.

Slept thru the last 8 weeks of that political science class, did we? The U.S. (& all other contemporary democratic governments) are "republics", which is practically & simply speaking the only viable way to have a democracy in actual modern nations. Obviously, everybody can't directly vote on every issue - elected representatives have to do that if any real-time legislative action is going to occur. Even popular elections occurring only every few years get disputed for pete's sake. Go back and do some homework, and come back here & post when you can do it without parrotting something you heard up in your treehouse. The issue isn't with republics as governments. The issue is with the politicians who are those representatives. If their loyalties are to something other than the actual national welfare as well as their constituencies, then it all breaks down rather quickly. And those loyalties are always going to be divided, at best..., where so much power & money are involved. Always. Sooner or later. The only solution is to make it so there ISN'T so much money & power involved.

I understand how a democratic republic works thanks. I just think the concept is flawed. I also think your "its the only viable way" mentality is a very one dimensional way to look at it.

And i will have you know that I came up with it all by myself. smile.png

Edited by arnold40844

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe they should do something new in this counry

ONLY PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY PAY TAXES CAN VOTE

so all those poor farmers could no be bought with 500 baht to vote for mr. T

Yes Blackadder, they could learn a lot from 19th century Britain, only the rich can vote, well then the yellows have it.

The Thais should be a bit more subtle when they buy the votes, like us in the west, but at the end of the day people vote for selfish reasons and the reds do better for the poor, the yellows do well for the banksters and lazy overpaid teachers.

The whole of Thailand will be in the shit soon, when the multinationals pull out for cheaper climes, so as usual it is grab the money and run.

How can any of us farnags take sides in the ridiculous battle for power, even if we understood anything about Thai politics? We can't even keep our own house in order and at least the deaths here are few, our government like to do their killing in the millions.

• Like 1

I seen this paying out for votes.  It really works up in Isaan. One hundred percent.

so how is this putsch going to go? Trouble trouble toiland trouble and the same witch gets in on a new election. People here are so stupid.

They need an independant government for a few years and ALL NEW players. None if the old guard on either side as it will just circle

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

One solution would have been the opposite of Amnesty, basically Amnestybusters with a new independent watchdog authority, appointed by representatives of a much-loved and magnificent person who is respected nationwide, this would cement the mandate for the anti-corruption team to go through Govt and other high-state apparatus with the proverbial chainsaw, cutting out anything and anybody that is even remotely corrupt.

This would be a long process. But it can be balanced out with new appointments of fresh law-abiding politicians.

Thaksin would be ordered again to return for his sentence. His family would pay the price of his refusal, legally and financially, since his family have shown they are just taking orders from him anyway, they can be classed as complicit and harboring.

End result is a very empty political sphere, slowly filling up with new players who are a lot more wary of scams and schemes. Ruled over by a regally-appointed law&order watchdog, with great big teefs . New politicians come in and behave with respect, and within the law. The democratic process moves forward. The policy mechanism finally starts to function at its optimum potential. People dance and sing.The crowd goes wild.

Posted Image

I don't think you are in Thailand... Pitty it would be nice but only a dream

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

I don't like the fact that I predicted this outcome several weeks ago, as I always felt that the situation would become so dire that YL would have no option but to resign and call for new elections. In any other democracy in the world this would have happened weeks ago, as there is no point in trying to hold on to power when it is clear that a huge proportion of the population is against you.

Unfortunately, this is not a democracy at all, it is an autocracy created by a fugitive criminal who did not have the guts to return to his home country and 'face the music', but instead, felt that he could run the country from afar. Sitting in comfort in Dubai he will no doubt be telling his sister and his other well-paid employees to hang in there because victory is in sight. Sadly, he couldn't be further from the truth...!

What we currently have is a last ditch heavy-handed attempt to use the police to "appease" the crowd, but there is no appeasing this crowd. This government has to fall in order to end this, and the police have to withdraw before we start to see real civil war.

As I've said before, these people are not being paid to be there, they are there because they are passionate about their demand to see real democracy in this country. If TS and YL cannot see this, then they will go down in history as being responsible for the destruction of a once beautiful country.

You are not seeing the point are you? More people here want Thaksin than do not. This is called a majority, This is called more votes and this is called democracy. You say a huge proportion of the population is against you. This is incorrect, the majority of people here love the fact that he is still involved with the politics here. You also say As I've said before, these people are not being paid to be there. Maybe that has something to do with the fact most are upper middle class, not the poor. I am neutral because it has nothing to do with me, however this guy who is pulling the strings with this protest could eventually have authority over the Army and the police and i feel that is a scary thought. The mans a nutter, and under the same circumstances at this point there would be thousands of innocent protesters dead littering the streets. .

Are you calling Her Excellency, PM and DM Yingluck Shinawat a liar?

Did she not just say that her brother Thaksin has nothing to do with politics here any more?

Better watch out. Thai politicians sue for defamation at the drop of a hat.

I don't like the fact that I predicted this outcome several weeks ago, as I always felt that the situation would become so dire that YL would have no option but to resign and call for new elections. In any other democracy in the world this would have happened weeks ago, as there is no point in trying to hold on to power when it is clear that a huge proportion of the population is against you.

Unfortunately, this is not a democracy at all, it is an autocracy created by a fugitive criminal who did not have the guts to return to his home country and 'face the music', but instead, felt that he could run the country from afar. Sitting in comfort in Dubai he will no doubt be telling his sister and his other well-paid employees to hang in there because victory is in sight. Sadly, he couldn't be further from the truth...!

What we currently have is a last ditch heavy-handed attempt to use the police to "appease" the crowd, but there is no appeasing this crowd. This government has to fall in order to end this, and the police have to withdraw before we start to see real civil war.

As I've said before, these people are not being paid to be there, they are there because they are passionate about their demand to see real democracy in this country. If TS and YL cannot see this, then they will go down in history as being responsible for the destruction of a once beautiful country.

You are not seeing the point are you? More people here want Thaksin than do not. This is called a majority, This is called more votes and this is called democracy. You say a huge proportion of the population is against you. This is incorrect, the majority of people here love the fact that he is still involved with the politics here. You also say As I've said before, these people are not being paid to be there. Maybe that has something to do with the fact most are upper middle class, not the poor. I am neutral because it has nothing to do with me, however this guy who is pulling the strings with this protest could eventually have authority over the Army and the police and i feel that is a scary thought. The mans a nutter, and under the same circumstances at this point there would be thousands of innocent protesters dead littering the streets. .

You know, the word "majority" just doesn't quite have the same kick to it when it consists of votes bought and paid for from, oh, I don't know, let's say Dubai... The current unrest offers strong evidence that was a majority of the pocketbook rather than a majority of the public will. Are we going to just say, hey, a majority is a majority and that's all she wrote? THAT kind of purchased majority will always result in later public dissatisfaction and the kind of unrest we're seeing. I honestly don't know which is worse: the voter who sells his vote for cash money or some wished-for govt handout, or the thuggish power-monger who's doing the buying and the populist spending. Democracy and a true govt of the people can hardly be expected to thrive with either. Most of the world's oldest democracies having this same problem...

"Chemically treated water?" Wouldn't that be considered to be a weapon of mass destruction by the UN?

No not a weapon of mass destruction, but a Chemical Weapon - also outlawed under the UN and most international laws.

Just for my understanding: if you put chlorine into water, that makes the water chemically treated, right?!

Would that turn every swimming pool in the world into a potential threat?

Or doesn't it really depend with what the water is treated?

Just adding chemical x to water doesn't make it harmful.

Riot police often ads coloring to the water, to identify protesters later...and unless you are allergic to a certain kind of coloring, it will not harm you at all.

Sunai from Human Rights Watch on this:

Sunai @sunaibkk 10h

@WilwithoneL Dyed water is not acid or poison as claimed by Blue Sky Channel and ASTV

"Chemically treated water?" Wouldn't that be considered to be a weapon of mass destruction by the UN?

I just found this on WIKIPEDIA:

In 1993, the Chemical Weapons Convention was signed, outlawing all uses of chemical weapons in war. Since the signing of the convention, no use of chemical weapons in interstate has been documented, but chemical weapons have been used by other groups. Most notably, the Japanese terrorist group Aum Shinrikyo carried out an attack in the Tokyo subway with sarin, a nerve agent.

I guess they will need to make a new entry in WIKIPEDIA. Putting Thailand up there in line with Syira and Sadam and other nut jobs. Nothing to be proud of. Lets hope this get sorted and soon.

What kind of logic is this??? If they add an irritant to the water stream, that makes it a chemical weapon?? And so what do you consider tear gas?

What next I have to ask? Some segments of Thai society has learned that, if something doesn't go their way, that taking to the streets is the answer. Like a spoilt child screaming and screaming until it gets what it wants. All of them, no better than the other.

If Suthep succeeds in his aims what next. In the future when people once again take to the polls the same old cronyism, selfishness and patronage will rear its ugly head as ever. Then somebody will get in power who isn't one of the boys for the other group of bottom feeders and the whole shitfest will start all over again. I can never see a point in Thai politics where one side will accept that they lost or that just maybe the guy in power is right for the country. Too many selfish bastards where it's me first and f the rest. And of course whatever happens over the next few days Thaksin is still in the wings waiting to come home by whatever means necessary. He's not exactly going to say "Fair enough I give up" The genie is well and truly out of the bottle.

No you have to remember that this is a reaction built up over a long time due to a very real threat to the country - not just the whim of a few - you see millions who "don't like this" and are taking a stand.

The problem is that those observers outside don't see it the way we do from inside - because they think that the country can work as a democracy - obviously it doesn't, but not because it can't. Overseas the populace is generally well informed, and people usually have an idea of the rights and wrongs of all parties in an election - to some extent anyway. Here due to constant medling in the media, there are huge swathes of the country that know virtually nothing of the wrongs committed, but they get their 500 baht, and off they go to vote for the paymaster - whoever that may be on that occasion - so democracy is not a truth here, it is a lie, and unfortunately it's going to take a long time to fix the problems that beset the people.

How many times I will I have to read this complete bull shit about vote buying?

You guys are a broken record and incapable of simple logical thinking.

Fascinating, the current events in Bangkok. If I'm not misinformed, the Thai elite represented by people dressed in yellow, suggest that the poor Thais are too stupid for their own good. Therefore they should not have the right to vote.

This creates an interesting paradox; a number of Thais are exercising their right to demonstrate AGAINST democracy and free public elections.

There's a first time for everything...

• Like 2

From meeting Suthep I can attest that he does not like foreigners. Although I met him once and only briefly (and all of the other players personally, I play comedy and we regularly before all these politicians, I have met every pm since Chuan Leekpai and even some from before him!)

Which puts me in a twist. I detest the Shin clan (also met most of them, more than once PTP likes comedy) and everything they stand for. I do like Chatchart (the transport minister) but I prefer Korn of all the people that I have met.

So at this moment although I am in favour of Yingluck et clan oak pai, I would hate to see Suthep being the man in charge sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

From meeting Suthep I can attest that he does not like foreigners. Although I met him once and only briefly (and all of the other players personally, I play comedy and we regularly before all these politicians, I have met every pm since Chuan Leekpai and even some from before him!)

Which puts me in a twist. I detest the Shin clan (also met most of them, more than once PTP likes comedy) and everything they stand for. I do like Chatchart (the transport minister) but I prefer Korn of all the people that I have met.

So at this moment although I am in favour of Yingluck et clan oak pai, I would hate to see Suthep being the man in charge Posted Image

Your a comedian?

I do not mind that we disagree. What drives me crazy is how propaganda is used over and over again ignoring facts.

Facts to take into account.

Thailand has had over 19 coups carried out by the ruling elite in the last half century or so.

They say the like elections but obviously it goes like this. If we win, we love democracy and the vote for the people but if we lose, which we do each time these days, we simply come up with a coup. Thus, the people have NO rights under the ruling class do they.

I laugh when I hear the same old propaganda justifying this nonsense. They say, "The reds bought votes". Of course they ignore the fact that the other side too bought votes and has more money. if money was all you needed to win, the Reds should be easy to defeat each time.

But things do change over time.

This time a woman is PM. If she were to be harmed in anyway by the opposition mobs in the streets being paid for by elite, the world would turn Thailand into Myanmar with massive trade sanctions. Likely there could be efforts by the Hague or the UN to bring to trial groups in Thailand for crimes.

So here we are. Some of you think it is fine to put down the poor while Others of you know it is wrong but do not care.

If things went to far, this place would end up looking like Beirut.

The ignorance on the side of the poor is understandable but the ignorance among the college educated Elite is hard to understand.

Does it really mean so much to you to have people kiss your behinds?

Grow up.

• Like 1

I do not mind that we disagree. What drives me crazy is how propaganda is used over and over again ignoring facts.

Thailand has had over 19 coups carried out by the ruling elite in the last half century or so.

They say the like elections but obviously it goes like this. If we win, we love democracy and the vote for the people but if we lose, which we do each time these days, we simply come up with a coup. Thus, the people have NO rights under the ruling class do they.

I laugh when I hear the same old propaganda justifying this nonsense. They say, "The reds bought votes". Of course they ignore the fact that the other side too bought votes and has more money. if money was all you needed to win, the Reds should be easy to defeat each time.

This time a woman is PM. If she were to be harmed in anyway by the opposition mobs in the streets being paid for by elite, the world would turn Thailand into Myanmar with massive trade sanctions. Likely there could be efforts by the Hague or the UN to bring to trial groups in Thailand for crimes.

So here we are. Some of you think it is fine to put down the poor while Others of you know it is wrong but do not care.

The ignorance on the side of the poor is understandable but the ignorance among the college educated Elite is hard to understand.

Grow up.

"Facts to take into account.

Thailand has had over 19 coups carried out by the ruling elite in the last half century or so."

Beginning with a historical inaccuracy does nothing for your credibility. "in the last half century or so" there has been total of 8 coups and attempted, non-successful coups. None of which have much to do with an attempt to remove a corrupt and inept government. That the faux PM is a woman leads you to some form of sexist gender-biased rant about the effect of her removal which has little to do with reality. Queens, female presidents and PMs have been removed violently in the past, even beheaded, with no discernible political differences to removal of their male equivalents.

OK

It is hard to count. I mean some say that a puppet government having a supreme court toss out a PM is a coup but you would say NO.

OK--Even if I gave into you and said ONLY 9 Coups, I think that number still backs up my point.

OH--and so you are for beheading Queens?

I point out to you that NO QUEEN has ever been the head of state in Thailand. Their rules still do not allow this so that makes my point.

But I was pointing out how little Thailand's elite cares about democracy and nothing you said did anything to say that my point was wrong.

You chose to ignore that and attack my point that the world would not much like a Woman PM being attacked in a physical way should that ever happen. You disagree? You say it would be OK and the 21st century world would be ok with that.

We disagree.

8 coups are OK with you?

You just argued with the numbers but made no defense of the 8.

Thank you for poing out the 8.

8 COUPS--and a 9th done using a puppet court put into power by a coup government.

That makes your point--what point were you trying to make?

That Thailand had 8 coups?

I agree. You are right.

But again.

I would be OK with what those who are in favor of the coups would simply say the truth. The truth being they do not want the common man and woman in Thailand to have say in how the nation is run.

But wait--what would they think of a coup if the reds were to do an aggressive coup? OH? Then they would be against Coups.

So when they win the election, they are against coups but when they lose the election, they think coups are a needed thing to protect their Thailand.

Is this what you think?

Just say it then and quit trying to play word games like you are in a freshman debate class.

YOU HATE that a government backed by the poor could run the government in Thailand.

Just say it and at least I would respect you for telling your honest thoughts. Are you afraid to say it? Why?

The media, the courts, the military and the vast majority of big money in Thailand is on your side so why?

Maybe you do feel shame at least a little.

You should.

Grow up.

Thailand has had over 19 coups carried out by the ruling elite in the last half century or so."

Beginning with a historical inaccuracy does nothing for your credibility. "in the last half century or so" there has been total of 8 coups and attempted, non-successful coups. None of which have much to do with an attempt to remove a corrupt and inept government. That the faux PM is a woman leads you to some form of sexist gender-biased rant about the effect of her removal which has little to do with reality. Queens, female presidents and PMs have been removed violently in the past, even beheaded, with no discernible political differences to removal of their male equivalents.

Speaking of facts . . . how about this comprehensive list:

1932 is usually described as the beginning of Thailand’s century-long coup season. Once upon a time when I sought to determine when this history of coups began I was surprised to find obscure references to aborted military interventions in national politics in 1912 and 1917. Long since forgotten.

Here on New Mandala we recently hosted a discussion about Thailand’s coup history where I suggested that counting the number of coups (attempted and successful) is a complicated business. Often, when somebody asks “how many coups have there been in Thailand?”, the final number that is cited is 18 but I fear that this may be a product of force of habit rather than hard number crunching.

So I wonder if the collective expertise of New Mandala readers might help us to more precisely tally up the total coup attempts, and successful coups, in Thai history. Keeping the focus on the 20th century will make matters simpler but I appreciate that some may want to introduce more historical depth. Just to get us started I have my (probably incomplete and inaccurate) list below.

It would be terrific if we could make the list definitive.

As it stands I have 11 “successful” and 9 “unsuccessful” coup efforts in the 20th century for a total of 20. For the more obscure episodes I have added links to other details. But it would be terrific if a final tally could be made, with all of the various categories of coup (plot, attempt, success; to include กบฏ, รัฐประหาร, รัฐประหารเงียบ, etc) matched against their historical details. Definitional issues are, of course, at stake but we are happy to hear discussion on all of the technical points that matter.

Please share your knowledge to help us count Thailand’s military coups once-and-for-all. As new information is added in comments I can put it in this main list which can be revised as often as we like.

Coup (attempt) of 1912

Some details are available here.

Coup (attempt) of 1917

Aborted: Few details seem to exist.

Coup of 1932

Friday, 24 June 1932

Coup of 1933

Tuesday, 20 June 1933

Coup of 1939

Some details are here.

Coup of 1947

Saturday, 8 November 1947

Coup (attempt) of 1948

Coup (attempt) of 1949

Saturday, 26 February 1949

Coup (attempt) of 1951 (Manhattan)

Friday, 29 June 1951

Coup of 1951

Thursday, 29 November 1951

Coup of 1957

Tuesday, 17 September 1957

Coup of 1958

Monday, 20 October 1958

Coup of 1971

Wednesday, 17 November 1971

Coup of 1976

Wednesday, 6 October 1976

Coup (attempt) of 1977

Saturday, 26 March 1977

Coup of 1977

Thursday, 20 October 1977

Coup (attempt) of 1981 (“Young Turks”)

Wednesday, 1 April 1981

Coup (attempt) of 1985

Monday, 9 September 1985

Coup of 1991

Saturday, 23 February 1991

Coup of 2006

Tuesday, 19 September 2006

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/03/08/counting-thailands-coups/

Grow up.

Speaking of facts . . . how about this comprehensive list:

1932 is usually described as the beginning of Thailand’s century-long coup season. Once upon a time when I sought to determine when this history of coups began I was surprised to find obscure references to aborted military interventions in national politics in 1912 and 1917. Long since forgotten.

Here on New Mandala we recently hosted a discussion about Thailand’s coup history where I suggested that counting the number of coups (attempted and successful) is a complicated business. Often, when somebody asks “how many coups have there been in Thailand?”, the final number that is cited is 18 but I fear that this may be a product of force of habit rather than hard number crunching.

So I wonder if the collective expertise of New Mandala readers might help us to more precisely tally up the total coup attempts, and successful coups, in Thai history. Keeping the focus on the 20th century will make matters simpler but I appreciate that some may want to introduce more historical depth. Just to get us started I have my (probably incomplete and inaccurate) list below.

It would be terrific if we could make the list definitive.

As it stands I have 11 “successful” and 9 “unsuccessful” coup efforts in the 20th century for a total of 20. For the more obscure episodes I have added links to other details. But it would be terrific if a final tally could be made, with all of the various categories of coup (plot, attempt, success; to include กบฏ, รัฐประหาร, รัฐประหารเงียบ, etc) matched against their historical details. Definitional issues are, of course, at stake but we are happy to hear discussion on all of the technical points that matter.

Please share your knowledge to help us count Thailand’s military coups once-and-for-all. As new information is added in comments I can put it in this main list which can be revised as often as we like.

Coup (attempt) of 1912

Coup (attempt) of 1917

Aborted: Few details seem to exist.

Coup of 1932

Friday, 24 June 1932

Coup of 1933

Tuesday, 20 June 1933

Coup of 1939

Some details are here.

Coup of 1947

Saturday, 8 November 1947

Coup (attempt) of 1948

Coup (attempt) of 1949

Saturday, 26 February 1949

Coup (attempt) of 1951 (Manhattan)

Friday, 29 June 1951

Coup of 1951

Thursday, 29 November 1951

Coup of 1957

Tuesday, 17 September 1957

Coup of 1958

Monday, 20 October 1958

Coup of 1971

Wednesday, 17 November 1971

Coup of 1976

Wednesday, 6 October 1976

Coup (attempt) of 1977

Saturday, 26 March 1977

Coup of 1977

Thursday, 20 October 1977

Coup (attempt) of 1981 (“Young Turks”)

Wednesday, 1 April 1981

Coup (attempt) of 1985

Monday, 9 September 1985

Coup of 1991

Saturday, 23 February 1991

Coup of 2006

Tuesday, 19 September 2006

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2011/03/08/counting-thailands-coups/

Strangely enough, the same source that I used. Thank you for verifying my post.

OK

It is hard to count. I mean some say that a puppet government having a supreme court toss out a PM is a coup but you would say NO.

OK--Even if I gave into you and said ONLY 9 Coups, I think that number still backs up my point.

I point out to you that NO QUEEN has ever been the head of state in Thailand. Their rules still do not allow this so that makes my point.

But I was pointing out how little Thailand's elite cares about democracy and nothing you said did anything to say that my point was wrong.

You chose to ignore that and attack my point that the world would not much like a Woman PM being attacked in a physical way should that ever happen. You disagree? You say it would be OK and the 21st century world would be ok with that.

We disagree.

8 coups are OK with you?

8 COUPS--and a 9th done using a puppet court put into power by a coup government.

I agree. You are right.

After making a factual error, you compound it by misreading my post. The part that said "8 coups and attempted, non-successful coups" included the unsuccessful attempts of 1977, '81 and '85. Further your red bible counting of the court decision based on clear video evidence of bribery and following constitutional law as a "judicial coup" is simply inane.

I am well aware that Thailand has never had a queen, but other countries have. Loss of female leaders, even violently, hasn't led to world-wide revulsion simply because it is the position that is important, not the gender of the occupant.

Here's another interesting link to show quite a few more coups d'etat and attempted coups d'etat than simply single-digits . . . mob rule and change is a wonderful thing:

History of military coups in Thailand
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 00:00
Thailand has a past of turbulence and turmoil. It has witnessed at least 10 successful coups and 7 abortive attempts even before military forces seized power on September 19, 2006 dismissing Prime Minister Thaksin Sinawatra’s government. Thailand has experienced this coup after a span of 15 years.

Here is a chronology of some of the military coups and major attempted coups since the Southeast Asian nation became a constitutional monarchy in 1932:

1932: King Prajadhipok is overthrown in a coup d'etat. Armed forces led by three radicals, Pridi Phanomyang, Major Phibun Sangkhram and Colonel Phahon Phonphaywhasena, takes control. Phrayo Manopakorn is appointed Prime Minister.

1933: Manopakorn dissolves the National Assembly and rules by decree, until he is removed in another coup. Phahon, one of the three involved in the 1932 coup, becomes Prime Minister.

1947: Military coup by General Phin Choonhavan deposes the government. Luang Aphai-Wongse is appointed Prime Minister, but is replaced by Phibun the following year.

1951: Phibun leads another military coup and restores the 1932 version of the Constitution.

1957: Following a coup led by General Sarit Thanarat, politician Pote Sarasin is appointed leader of an interim government.

1976: An attempted military coup is defeated in February, but a successful coup in October overthrows Prime Minister Seni Pramoj. Admiral Sa-ngad Chaloryoo, previously Minister of Defence, is installed as Chairman of a National Administrative Reform Council.

Oct 20, 1977: The government of Thanom Kravichien, appointed in 1976, is overthrown by a military coup, again led by Sa-ngad. Following which a military Revolutionary Council takes power.

April 1, 1981: An attempted coup, led by General Sant Chipatima, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Army, is suppressed by forces loyal to the government.

Sept 9, 1985: A coup is attempted by Colonel Manoon Roopkachorn; a number of senior officers are later arrested.

Feb 23, 1991: The government of General Chatichai is ousted in a bloodless military coup. Power is assumed by a National Peacekeeping Council, led by General Sunthorn Kongsompong.

Sept 19, 2006: The armed forces take power and dismiss Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's caretaker government while Thaksin and several other ministers are overseas. The military revoke the Constitution and promise a swift return to democracy after political reforms.
Edited by Sing_Sling

You cannot seriously be branding every single protester as a fascist hooligan? Most are professional office workers and students.

Great to see so many deep thinking farangs advocating the violent overthrow of a legitimately elected government by fascist hooligans.

Are YOU! seriously suggesting that professional people and students cannot be facist hooligans ? So who do you think can be facist hooligans. Poor unprofessional people only ?

As we found out in uk a large majority of the facist hooligans at football matches were professional people and a large majority at violent demonstrations were students.

While not everyone is a facist hoolgan most of the violence and stone throwing i have watched on tv were students or thais aged between 17 -25 so i would be interested in what you think what type of person can be a facist hooligan ???

Edited by steveltx
  • Like 1

OK

We disagree.

8 coups are OK with you?

I agree. You are right.

After making a factual error, you compound it by misreading my post. The part that said "8 coups and attempted, non-successful coups" included the unsuccessful attempts of 1977, '81 and '85. Further your red bible counting of the court decision based on clear video evidence of bribery and following constitutional law as a "judicial coup" is simply inane.

I am well aware that Thailand has never had a queen, but other countries have. Loss of female leaders, even violently, hasn't led to world-wide revulsion simply because it is the position that is important, not the gender of the occupant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the law of succession changed some time ago that allows Thailand to have a female Head of State if the current monarch were to decree it?

Edited by bigbamboo

Fascinating, the current events in Bangkok. If I'm not misinformed, the Thai elite represented by people dressed in yellow, suggest that the poor Thais are too stupid for their own good. Therefore they should not have the right to vote.

This creates an interesting paradox; a number of Thais are exercising their right to demonstrate AGAINST democracy and free public elections.

Yes if they keep this up, perhaps the next thing the Bangkok elite will propose is a real-life version of the hunger gamesbah.gif

• Like 1

r

Yes if they keep this up, perhaps the next thing the Bangkok elite will propose is a real-life version of the hunger gamesbah.gif

Even a majority can over-reach and become a tyranny over the minority. The amnesty bill was a perfect example. 'Not certain that the 2011 "landslide majority" (which was neither in terms of the popular vote...) is any longer even the so-called majority now that it was then. Regardless, if PTP hadn't pushed TS's amnesty bill (yes, it WAS to get him repatriated, c'mon now...), things would never have gotten to this point, and we all know it. And every member of the anti-government opposition as well as every defender of the current regime knows that bill is not really dead.

The Bangkok Post is reporting that 7 vocational college students have been charged with arson in relation to the burning of govt vehicles. The students, reportedly deny the allegations and claim that a mysterious figure in black came from behind Police ranks and set all the vehicles on fire. Police are reported as saying they discovered a major cache of weapons and arson related materials in a building near the govt complex

Edited by Prbkk