So far - winners and losers in Thai unrest

webfact

it certainly is good to see the younger crowd out in force instead of playing all day on face book, the way the game is being played out there it could end up with a lot of losers , you need good planning for this continued protest, as we have seen, out of control protesters don't make any friends , they make enemy's from people who may have supported them at the beginning,

I think Suthep's (the anti-govt opposition) end game is to negotiate directly with Thaksin. Why should they negotiate with Yingluck, she doesn't make any decisions? The deal will be ... Thaksin can have some of his money in return for withdrawing his mob from politics. Then there will be another election. PTP will run without Thaksin and without his money.

Before the flames begin .... understand that I'm not saying that this is the best solution or that I support this. I'm only saying I believe this may be the strategy.

----------

On another point, the English and grammar mistakes in Kavi's op-ed piece or any other English language newspaper in Thailand article don't bother me nor make the article any less interesting for me. And whether I agree with it or not ... it's an opinion and not "news". The opposite opinions are out there too.

• Like 2

If they actually do import writers, I would like to recommend Emptyset, above. Thaivisa does come up with true gems in posts, why isn't there any real media publication that gets even close?

Yes, I definitely don't think I'm any better (thanks for the complement, though!) but would agree with your general point on the quality of Thai English language press. There are some good writers though. I like Pravit in The Nation, and Kong Rithdee in the BKK Post is often exceptional. One thing I've noticed is that opinion pieces in both main Eng language papers seem to have a tendency to be either obviously very partisan, or so equivocal that you have no idea what the writer's opinion, position or solution is.

• Like 1

On another point, the English and grammar mistakes in Kavi's op-ed piece or any other English language newspaper in Thailand article don't bother me nor make the article any less interesting for me. And whether I agree with it or not ... it's an opinion and not "news". The opposite opinions are out there too.

Up to a point I agree.But Kavi's article is so riddled with basic errors (eg chronograph for choreograph) to the extent that it becomes distracting.The Nation is an English language newspaper and Kavi is one of its key columnists:thus there is a responsibility to get this right and it can be easily done.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

The winners today appear to be those who love to bitch at everything that comes out of The Nation, a great opportunity today, go for it fellas.

The only loser in all of this is Thailand, what a great country it could be if it had an honest government who worked for the people.

When, if ever, such a government emerges then we can talk about real winners.

I think Suthep's (the anti-govt opposition) end game is to negotiate directly with Thaksin. Why should they negotiate with Yingluck, she doesn't make any decisions? The deal will be ... Thaksin can have some of his money in return for withdrawing his mob from politics. Then there will be another election. PTP will run without Thaksin and without his money.

Before the flames begin .... understand that I'm not saying that this is the best solution or that I support this. I'm only saying I believe this may be the strategy.

----------

Interesting post. I don't have a dog in this fight, but as a frequent visitor to the country and someone who has Thai friends there, I have followed the events over the last few days. I keep trying to figure out how Suthep becomes a winner here.

The demographics won't work - like most developing countries the poor vastly outnumber the middle class and the rich, so he will obviously always lose an election (as he and we all know).

Violence doesn't work for him either. I have several Thai middle class friends who do not like Thaksin and hated the idea of the amnesty, and went out and protested. But they are not the type to pick up stones, knives or whatever and do battle - they have jobs and families to take care of. They are not thugs (and I believe most Red Shirts are not either).

Doing a deal with the Big Man is possible, but what about a deal with the military? I don't think the Thai military really wants to run the country, it is outside of their pay scale. But what if Suthep creates as much havoc as he can (shutting down government), then goes to the military (who, as I understand it, does not like Thaksin), and says to them - Let's get rid of the Thaksin family from politics, I will run the country (we will call it a "People's Council"), and you can sit back fat and happy and do your thing.

I think that is the only way Suthep becomes a winner in this.

Edited by californiabeachboy

Red shirts did a good call when they withdraw their people from the current scene. I guess yellows turned in to black shirts, were counting that there would be more violent incidents between the rival groups, which would have brought more fighters to the cause.

Now it seems that there is only thugs on the streets.

Winners are the media, who had finally courage to condemn the entry to the TV stations and thread to the 'free' press. I hope this courage will continue in the future towards all the sides, as it will be the real game changer.