What is Politically Correct

Aoy999

"Falang" is not a bad word! Acutally, it is more of endearment term. Please do not think for a minute that Thais are racist by addressing you as "falang." Please stop and think for a minute, how would Thais know your nationality--how would they know that you are British, Franch, American, Aussie, Germen, Poland, Swiss or Belguim? It seemed you all look very similar to one another, so the word "falang" get used to refer to foreigners (especially white) that are not from the Asian and Middle East countries. It is not a deragotary term. FYI, Thais refer the people from Middle East contries as "Khak."

Anyone who has to "address" soneone by their nationality OR race has serious problems

Stop apologizing for behavior that would be unacceptable if one of your coubtrymen acted that way just because said person is Thai

Thai people don't like it either

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think the people who have problem are those who concern about being called falang. By the way, I have never met any Thai person that would be offended if others refer him/her as Thai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said otherwise;they replace it because they dont want to give you the respect associated with the word khun

Can you imagine if I spoke spanish but instead of using tu and yo I said you and I?

Can you imagine how stupid that would sound?

Well, that's your take on it. Mine is that they assume you won't understand Thai, so are using what they have been told is the English for 'Khun'

You see it as them deliberately avoiding giving you respect, so you feel insulted.

I can't help you with the thought processes that lead you to that kind of world view. There are people who can, but they charge by the hour and I suspect it would be very expensive.

It's probably easier in the long run if I agree with you. However, if I do, we will both be wrong.

• Like 2

"Falang" is not a bad word! Acutally, it is more of endearment term. Please do not think for a minute that Thais are racist by addressing you as "falang." Please stop and think for a minute, how would Thais know your nationality--how would they know that you are British, Franch, American, Aussie, Germen, Poland, Swiss or Belguim? It seemed you all look very similar to one another, so the word "falang" get used to refer to foreigners (especially white) that are not from the Asian and Middle East countries. It is not a deragotary term. FYI, Thais refer the people from Middle East contries as "Khak."

Anyone who has to "address" soneone by their nationality OR race has serious problems

Stop apologizing for behavior that would be unacceptable if one of your coubtrymen acted that way just because said person is Thai

I think the people who have problem are those who concern about being called falang. By the way, I have never met any Thai person that would be offended if others refer him/her as Thai.

cheesy.gif Nor do I think Americans would be offended by being called American or Germans being called German etc.

However, I am positive Thais would be offended by being called a word that lumps all countries and peoples of a large geographic region together or racial features.

Thanks for making me laugh today; I needed it!

I never said otherwise;they replace it because they dont want to give you the respect associated with the word khun

Can you imagine if I spoke spanish but instead of using tu and yo I said you and I?

Well, that's your take on it. Mine is that they assume you won't understand Thai, so are using what they have been told is the English for 'Khun'

You see it as them deliberately avoiding giving you respect, so you feel insulted.

I can't help you with the thought processes that lead you to that kind of world view. There are people who can, but they charge by the hour and I suspect it would be very expensive.

It's probably easier in the long run if I agree with you. However, if I do, we will both be wrong.

From your point of view then; seems strange that they don't shout you you you in Cambodia or other countries in the region I have been to.

I was astonished in Cambodia when people on the border came up to me saying "sir, sir, excuse me sir" when on the Thai side its just YOU YOU YOU.

The Thais are much more educated than their Cambodian counterparts as well as more financially stable.

Perhaps you could explain to me why they prefer to use sir and excuse me in Cambodia instead of YOU YOU YOU if as you say the Thais are right and proper to do so because its strictly a vocab problem?

Khun is an honorific and certainly does denote status henc the typical "you pai nai?"

As opposed to "khun pai nai?"

And pointing almost ALWAYS comes with it, in my experience

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pointing is not rude here...unless you use your foot.

Wrong! Pointing with your finger is EXTREMELY rude in Thailand. Thais will never point at other Thais.

It is only OK when a Thai points at a foreigner

From your point of view then; seems strange that they don't shout you you you in Cambodia or other countries in the region I have been to.

I was astonished in Cambodia when people on the border came up to me saying "sir, sir, excuse me sir" when on the Thai side its just YOU YOU YOU.

The Thais are much more educated than their Cambodian counterparts as well as more financially stable.

Perhaps you could explain to me why they prefer to use sir and excuse me in Cambodia instead of YOU  YOU YOU if as you say the Thais are right and proper to do so because its strictly a vocab problem?

yes. I agree with you

Posted Image Nor do I think Americans would be offended by being called American or Germans being called German etc.

However, I am positive Thais would be offended by being called a word that lumps all countries and peoples of a large geographic region together or racial features.

Hey, if I can make you laugh or smile today, I have a successful day. But, have you forgotten the word Asian? People call them Asian every day. They don't seem to have a problem with it.

"You...you!" here is analogous to saying "Sir...sir!" in the 'west'. There is nothing rude about it.

It is a thai speaker try for a generic word in English. In Thai he might use the generic 'luung', 'pee', 'bpaa', or 'nong'...the equivalent words in English do not really work.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Then I wonder why I never see westerners pointing at Thais shouting khun khun?

Please enlighten me as to why?

I can only speak for myself.

I usually do not use "khun" unless I have a name to go with it.

As to why there are not a bunch of farang running around shouting "khun khun"...maybe they are being rude and saying "you you".

Go right on ahead being offended...it must be miserable way to go through life, looking for offense at every turn.

I never go around looking for offense at any turn.

I do however, call em like I see em. Thats because I have integrity and am concerned just as much about people being rude due to their own ignorance as much as I am about being offended by said rudeness.

Unfortunately the same can not be said for Thai apologists. They are self loathing creatures with a skewed WORLD view and very low self-esteem.wink.png

cheesy.gif Nor do I think Americans would be offended by being called American or Germans being called German etc.

Hey, if I can make you laugh or smile today, I have a successful day. But, have you forgotten the word Asian? People call them Asian every day. They don't seem to have a problem with it.

I have never seen westerners using the word asian the same as Thais use "farang." If they did there is not a doubt in my mind that they would be offended.

I hated it as well. But after thinking about it, You or Khun (คุณ) is a literal translation. If a person was calling my attention, he/she would say Khun Krap (คุณกรับ) or would you prefer "You Krap"?

If it takes time for you to learn Thai, then be more forgiving about Thais learning to speak English. At least they (Thai) try.

What I hate is being called to as "YOU!" I know it's difficult for Thais to understand that using "you" with a verb as part of a conversation is fine, but getting people's attention with "You!" is very rude. However, it's a fact, and there ought to be a government campaign to educate Thais to that fact. Seriously. Tourism is a significant part of the economy, but one of the downsides for tourists is being bludgeoned with "YOU!" many times a day. And if you're a resident, it's much worse: you have to grit your teeth every time you hear it. Thousands of times per year.

• Like 1

Posted Image Nor do I think Americans would be offended by being called American or Germans being called German etc.

I have never seen westerners using the word asian the same as Thais use "farang." If they did there is not a doubt in my mind that they would be offended.

Quite often people refer me as Asian, Pilipino, Indian, Lao and Thai because of the way I look. I've never once felt offended by those words. Anyway, I do not want to argue with you, so what is the alternative then? Should the word "falang" be banned in Thailand?

Well, politically correct is not to call a spate a spate and I personally feel that the developed countries tend to getting more and more over the top in this respect.

I personally have no problem to get addressed as a farang in Thailand. Why not? Because I am a farang in Thailand but anyway I am more that person that calls a spate a spate as well.

Cheers,

Just a farang in Thailand that gets treated by most of the Thai people very nicely and even by those that call him a farang. wai2.gif

What is a spate?

I hated it as well. But after thinking about it, You or Khun (คุณ) is a literal translation. If a person was calling my attention, he/she would say Khun Krap (คุณกรับ) or would you prefer "You Krap"?

If it takes time for you to learn Thai, then be more forgiving about Thais learning to speak English. At least they (Thai) try.

What I hate is being called to as "YOU!" I know it's difficult for Thais to understand that using "you" with a verb as part of a conversation is fine, but getting people's attention with "You!" is very rude. However, it's a fact, and there ought to be a government campaign to educate Thais to that fact. Seriously. Tourism is a significant part of the economy, but one of the downsides for tourists is being bludgeoned with "YOU!" many times a day. And if you're a resident, it's much worse: you have to grit your teeth every time you hear it. Thousands of times per year.

Excellent point. If they were making an attempt to be polite in the slightest they would certainly use Khrap/kaa with the pronoun. Thais would NEVER speak to someone they don't know (especially a customer) with out using kaa/krap.

And also, the way some people shout YOU YOU; you can just hear it in their tone and the way they speak to you that they are being extremely rude and disrespectful.

If you have lived here a long time and speak a bit of Thai/ understand some basic cultural differences etc. you can tell when someone is being rude and when someone is just ignorant.

"You...you!" here is analogous to saying "Sir...sir!" in the 'west'. There is nothing rude about it.

It is a thai speaker try for a generic word in English. In Thai he might use the generic 'luung', 'pee', 'bpaa', or 'nong'...the equivalent words in English do not really work.

As to why there are not a bunch of farang running around shouting "khun khun"...maybe they are being rude and saying "you you".

Go right on ahead being offended...it must be miserable way to go through life, looking for offense at every turn.

I do however, call em like I see em. Thats because I have integrity and am concerned just as much about people being rude due to their own ignorance as much as I am about being offended by said rudeness.

Unfortunately the same can not be said for Thai apologists. They are self loathing creatures with a skewed WORLD view and very low self-esteem.wink.png

You "call em like I see em". That is fine, I do the same.

You are offended by "you...you", I am not.

That does not make me an apologist for anyone.

The ones with the skewed world view are those who look for offense at every turn, and think the world should change to fit their view.

As far as self-esteem, it is those with so-called low self esteem that seek to blame their hurt feelings on everyone else, instead of looking inside.

My self-esteem is just fine. I know who I am.

Now here's the thing... You expect Eastern cultures to know about western sensibilities. And yet you make no effort to blend into the culture of Thais in which you are immersed in? Perhaps the You You person is not as refined a person that he/she should be. You find those kinds of people in the west as well. Same same everywhere...

Excellent point. If they were making an attempt to be polite in the slightest they would certainly use Khrap/kaa with the pronoun. Thais would NEVER speak to someone they don't know (especially a customer) with out using kaa/krap.

And also, the way some people shout YOU YOU; you can just hear it in their tone and the way they speak to you that they are being extremely rude and disrespectful.

If you have lived here a long time and speak a bit of Thai/ understand some basic cultural differences etc. you can tell when someone is being rude and when someone is just ignorant.

Now here's the thing... You expect Eastern cultures to know about western sensibilities. And yet you make no effort to blend into the culture of Thais in which you are immersed in?  Perhaps the You You person is not as refined a person that he/she should be. You find those kinds of people in the west as well. Same same everywhere...

That Thai guy saying "you...you!" is doing a literal translation to you language (English). His assumption (probably) is that you do not know Thai. Given that, why would he mix Thai and English by saying "You you khrap" ?

What are pc now will soon be regarded as normal in the distant future - a part of life!

People call it progress and proud of it, being democratic and having liberty and all, while at the same time, they progressively get segregated especially when they get older with nobody to care for them while they have given everything to the society at large.

It's sad for me. Don't know about you though!

Our kids are alright in the mean time, but I sometimes just can't reconcile with many who think so "liberal" (pc?)!

Now here's the thing... You expect Eastern cultures to know about western sensibilities. And yet you make no effort to blend into the culture of Thais in which you are immersed in? Perhaps the You You person is not as refined a person that he/she should be. You find those kinds of people in the west as well. Same same everywhere...

That Thai guy saying "you...you!" is doing a literal translation to you language (English). His assumption (probably) is that you do not know Thai. Given that, why would he mix Thai and English by saying "You you khrap" ?

Same reason cashiers say "tawentee baht kaa/krap" when you order something.

Why would they mix English and Thai? Because it is ingrained in them that when speaking politely you must say it.

Just accept it; shouting YOU YOU is rude. No need to defend it.....next

The ones with the skewed world view are those who look for offense at every turn, and think the world should change to fit their view.

As far as self-esteem, it is those with so-called low self esteem that seek to blame their hurt feelings on everyone else, instead of looking inside.

Perhaps you don't know the difference between being offended and pointing out insulting behavior.

I have to actually CARE about someone in order to be offended. I could give a rats about fools on the street who display their ignorance so blatantly.

Judging from your posts; I'm pretty sure you don't know who you are. Might I suggest a month in a sanitarium?

Unfortunately the same can not be said for Thai apologists. They are self loathing creatures with a skewed WORLD view and very low self-esteem.Posted Image

Perhaps you don't know the difference between being offended and pointing out insulting behavior.

I have to actually CARE about someone in order to be offended. I could give a rats about fools on the street who display their ignorance so blatantly.

Judging from your posts; I'm pretty sure you don't know who you are. Might I suggest a month in a sanitarium?

Surely, I know the difference.

If you do not care, therefore are not insulted, why do you feel the need to point it out?

Whether some behavior is 'insulting' is subjective, to each individual. You seem to have a hard time with that concept.

Surely, I know the difference.

If you do not care, therefore are not insulted, why do you feel the need to point it out?

Whether some behavior is 'insulting' is subjective, to each individual. You seem to have a hard time with that concept.

because as I said; I calls em like I sees em; whether I'm offended or not. I have the right to point out anything I want, regardless of any offense taken.

Is that concept so hard for you to understand?

I am surprised you cannot tell that that comment was made in jest...

What is a New Thai? Have you and your husband recently become Thai by naturalisation, if you are Thai at all?

Not many farangs care about being called "farang". It is just a corruption of Français > farang-set > farang = French. Thai has no word for Caucasian as far as I know. Without using the word farang you would have to say "Khon Europe" which excludes N. American and Australasian farangs or "Khon Phiw Khao (white people), which is more racist. So let's just settle for farang for the sake of convenience.

• 2 months later...

I used to be called "pee" (big brother) by the Thais. Recently, I have been addressed as "lom" (big uncle) 90% of the time rather than "pee". You see, for Thai, they call you one step higher than what you are out of respect! My friend's Thai wife calls me "lom" when her husband is about the same age as me! Is that pc or what?

Just accept it; shouting YOU YOU is rude. No need to defend it.....next

Agreed, it tends to be said by uneducated security guards - it is rude and I correct them (in Thai) each and every time I hear it. I explain that if you are addressing a foreigner and do not know their name, then you should always use sir or madam.

No foreigner is going to take offence at being called sir or madam.

I also explain to Thais who use the word 'farang' that some westerners consider the word to be rude, and that saying something like 'khon dang chart' is more polite. But the word is so ingrained into the language (if you are not Thai, then you must be farang, unless you are kairk), that I could spend all day advising Thais about how this word is considered impolite.

As to what my Thai family call me, it is usually 'lung' Simon (Uncle Simon). I am happy with that - at least it is not 'pudtao' (old guy) :)

Simon

Refreshing post, but surprising!

I am sorry, but I can't help but wonder if you are real or a troll.

A Thai with a western attitude about non Thais is very rare indeed.

If you are for real, I am happy to hear your views.

Now, can you convince your fellow Thais to think as progressively as you do?

"Farangs" in Thailand are treated much like minorities were in my country ( USA ) in the 1950s and 60s...not very well!

Unreasonable restrictions on employment.

Derogatory remarks from locals ( when they think you do not understand the language.

Being charges higher prices for the things and services you require.

Having to check in with what feels like a probation department every 90 days

and making a request annually to continue to stay in the country.

Thailand acts like the only redeeming thing about non Thais is the money they bring and spend here.

If you are real and not a troll, it sounds like you have a much better attitude.

Please spread it around to your countrymen!