School being inspected by the government

SlyAnimal

My school is going to be inspected by the government later this month, there's probably not a huge amount of extra stuff which we (as farang) will need to do, but am curious about other people's experiences. They only come once every 5 years, so I wasn't around when they last visited my school, but we apparently failed, and failed the time prior to that as well....so apparently this is our last chance to pass.

Is there anything which you guys can recommend I do in order to increase my school's chance of passing?

Also when they inspect the school, do they check the farang teacher's qualifications/waivers/work permits at all?

We are routinely inspected by our own Board of Directors, so we are pretty used to it. The MOE inspections are a bigger deal and they are fairly important. For the Foreign Teachers it isn't such a big deal. Much of the inspection is one of paperwork, and I am guessing that they do check the documents and credentials of all the teachers. I remember I had to get a list together with the country of origin and the degree and date of employment for everyone. I am guessing that anyone who is less-than-legal, would simply be omitted from the list.

The big one was they reviewed all our overviews for the academic year and the lesson plans. These all needed to be up-to-date. There really wasn't anyone who seemed to have good English skills, so I am guessing that they checked to see they were there. Oh, and that they were either typed or the handwriting was very neat.

They also checked classes, but again it was a cursory check of one of them stopping by a few classes for 15 - 20 minutes. It's a good idea to have some visual aids--they seem to like stuff like that. A chart, even of words. Dress smartly and make sure your on the top of your game and you should be ok.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Also when they inspect the school, do they check the farang teacher's qualifications/waivers/work permits at all?

The secretaries of the school's administration had to compile a complete portfolio of the foreign teachers. Passport, teacher license, provisional teaching permit, degree, courses, lesson plans, etc.

The committee might or might not visit your classroom or office for a peep.

At my old school the MOE would turn up, get their envelope, have a special lunch put on by the director, say they would write a nice report, and then leave.

Not many foreigners if any, have witnessed the Inspector-General's Office getting envelopes. Perhaps something for a newspaper?

So it might be a good idea for anyone who isn't 100% legal to make themselves scarce during the inspection?

E.g. Potential ultimatum to the school that they can't hire ppl without the correct paperwork and/or report to police?

Or is it more a case of the MoE just not giving the school a big tick for having well qualified Farang staff?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Is it possible that these guys will come to your school just because of this so famous " World Class Standard School" title?

It's always the same, as foreign teachers will have to have their portfolios together, as the Thai superiors from your school might think they gonna check them.

This is not to check if a school employs "illegal foreigners," it's more to see how "educated" and "organised" the Thai staff of this particular school is.

I wouldn't be concerned. -wai2.gif

P.S. It's always helpful to have some kids prepared to give a welcome speech in English, in addition some words coming from a foreign employee.

Just having the ASEAN community in mind, they'll appreciate anything that shows that the kids actually learn/speak English.-coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

So it might be a good idea for anyone who isn't 100% legal to make themselves scarce during the inspection?

E.g. Potential ultimatum to the school that they can't hire ppl without the correct paperwork and/or report to police?

Or is it more a case of the MoE just not giving the school a big tick for having well qualified Farang staff?

Not sure I understand your problem according to your profile you live in Auckland New Zealand.tongue.png

I believe you have nothing to worry about, their focus is on the thai teachers plus lesson plans,

plus hotel, food and envelopes.

I tried to engage them in a conversation about education but they just became embarrassed and then walked away.(I can have that effect on people)

Edited by lostinsurin

The Director of the school will know how to handle any teachers who are less-than-legal.

We had maybe 40% of the staff who were not fully legal. Some where in the process of getting a non-B visa, some hadn't gotten their Work Permit and a few simply wouldn't/couldn't ever be made legal. They are not going to put a name with a face with the paperwork.

We even had immigration show up one day for a surprise visit and all they could do was review the paperwork, and the paperwork was only there for people who were fully legal!

They didn't even both to check either the payroll records or the attendance (sign-in book). The difference between the list they were given and the sign-in book was vast.

Guilty conscience old boy? Something to hide??? biggrin.png

Have witnessed a few of these 'inspections' myself and seriously, it's nothing for the foreigners to be concerned about.

Can I ask, have you got teachers working illegally there?

As others have pointed out, MOE inspections are all about paperwork. They want to see stacks of lesson plans, course outlines, attendance records, individual student evaluations with EQ, IQ and SQ scores, etc.,etc. This will usually not have any impact on the foreign teachers and no correspondence between the physical reality of the school and the data on the paperwork is expected or required. whistling.gif

Have witnessed a few of these 'inspections' myself and seriously, it's nothing for the foreigners to be concerned about.

lol my conscience is clear (Although technically my waiver did expire in Sept, but as my WP/Visas are still valid til 30/04/14, I don't think that'd be a problem).

But one of the other guys has a work permit which isn't attached to his current visa.

The DoL gave him a WP based on being a trainer, but immigration knew that the "trainer" loophole people use is just taking the piss, so refused to extend his B. His visa then expired (And WP is attached to the visa, thus now invalid).

So it's good to hear that they're not going to be checking too strenuously.

• Like 2

lol my conscience is clear (Although technically my waiver did expire in Sept, but as my WP/Visas are still valid til 30/04/14, I don't think that'd be a problem).

But one of the other guys has a work permit which isn't attached to his current visa.

The DoL gave him a WP based on being a trainer, but immigration knew that the "trainer" loophole people use is just taking the piss, so refused to extend his B. His visa then expired (And WP is attached to the visa, thus now invalid).

So it's good to hear that they're not going to be checking too strenuously.

This waiver thing is worrying many a decent, qualified teacher. You can only have 2 then you need to take the tests, is IMO, BS! But I hear the Teacher's council will change the rules again some time next year, or so they say!

I know of many friends that have felt failed by the system here and have moved on to pastures new. Not really on topic but who gives???

About the inspections, nothing to worry about smile.png

I wouldn't worry, but do remember that an inspection is an inspection. There are a few employees of the Ministry who speak English and enjoy taking a look at the English component of the program. You wouldn't want to set off any alarm bells.

This waiver thing is worrying many a decent, qualified teacher. You can only have 2 then you need to take the tests, is IMO, BS! But I hear the Teacher's council will change the rules again some time next year, or so they say!

I know of many friends that have felt failed by the system here and have moved on to pastures new. Not really on topic but who gives???

About the inspections, nothing to worry about smile.png

As a quick note, you should start taking the tests + looking for a culture course as soon as you start teaching in Thailand. As the culture courses often aren't advertised well, so in the 4 years your 2x waivers grant you, it's possible to not find one if you don't start actively looking early.

Likewise the tests are difficult and only held 1 - 2 times per year. After 4 years you're pretty much expected to have passed all of them. Which Could be a tall ask if you only take your first test with 1 year remaining on your waiver.

Hahahahahah!!! If its a big school or part of a chain I wouldn't worry the slightest. I worked for a large school/chain that was inspected a couple of years ago. Out of approx 40 foreign teachers (long noses...not Filipinos) there was only 3 of us that had work permits. Most of the remainder had Buckley's chance of ever getting one and a couple had problems spelling their own names let alone stop their knuckles from dragging on the ground when they walked!!

Yes the inspectors seemed to be more interested in lesson plans, lunches, and envelopes. Good luck anyhow!

They only come once every 5 years, so I wasn't around when they last visited my school, but we apparently failed, and failed the time prior to that as well....so apparently this is our last chance to pass.

So they keep a failed school in the system for over 10 years? Good luck thumbsup.gif