Farang, go home!

Mapguy

University Lecturer Blames Farang for Thailands Problems

Where in the article does she BLAME Farang for Thailand's PROBLEMS?

She says that there is no peace because of us. That we are nosy. That we use up the natural resources. However, I don't think that any of that can be blamed on foreigners in any significant way.

The line mentioning peace is attributed to CityNews. I don't see any mention of peace in the facebook conversation. Did she actually say that? It's more likely CityNews sensationalism.

She said nosy but where is the problem with that and how does that be the cause of Thailand's problems.

Resource. OK I'll give you that one but she does not say it is a PROBLEM, she just says Farang use it.

I would say that this woman is one seriously f_u_cked up lady and needs to visit a therapist/psychiatrist.

Edited by Keesters

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you really think that the general Thai populace actually think any different to her? After being here for a long time, it is blatantly obvious that we are not welcome here, we are tolerated because we pay, we are just as unwelcome as foreigners are in our home countries... You will meet individuals that dont fit the mould certainly, but to Thais as a "collective" we are not welcome but our money is, perpetual paying guests, that is all we are and all we will ever be.

The sooner you accept that fact the better.

That's not my experience. However, I observe foreigners who inhabit the lower echelons of society by marrying uneducated poor women or even sex workers and their experiences are very different to mine.

I pay my way but nobody asks me for money. I can't think of the last time I knowingly paid a different price for something in Chiang Mai. I visited the zoo a few weeks ago and there is 2-tier pricing for foreign tourists. The girl behind the counter saw my wife and children and without asking charged me the same as a local.

I'm sure there are Thais that don't like me simply because I'm a foreigner. This would be no different to the attitudes of many people in my home country towards foreigners as well. I don't assume the attitudes of a few bigots represent the general feeling of most Thais.

Well after reading lobin in post number 5 and with over 20 supporters. Then your post here number 6 with over 20 supporters it is obvious to me that it is the attitude you project to the Thais that gets you the responses you get.

I definatly agree with loaded. Most Thais could care less but as in any country there are the bigoted ones. That is part of Human nature and I think many of the people who feel unwanted project their bigoted ideas.

If I have offended any one

I could care less as in my eyes you are a part of the problem. Flame away.

She only feels the same way that I do about all the foreigners that live in the UK.

Maybe she is just being unusually "honest"?

Ye but, the Falange are not taking the jobs from the Thais.

Can you understand how this person could get a position as a lecturer at a university, Falange did not vote for the amnesty bill or put it forward, typical inThailand blame some one else,easy way out. Very un educated comment from a university lecturer would you say.

Thais don't care either way. As long as they get to eat and watch their soaps they are happy. In 20 years I have never heard a Thai use the 'go home' line. They know which side their read is buttered. Foreigners drop Thailand and it becomes North Korea. Idiots like this alleged University Lecturer obviously haven't thought that far ahead.

Education does not mean common sense/intelligence, just the ability to absorb knowledge and pass exams. This 'lecturer' cannot possibly have the ability to realize how unimportant Thailand is in the eye's of the world. I live here, it is my home (until some xenophobic pri*k kicks me out). I know I am a second/third class citizen, I mind my own business, I keep my temper. I have come to the conclusion that the Thai's as a whole do not have the ability to plan properly for the long term , only for short term visible gain and 'Face (farce). There are many exceptions who have risen above this level , but they are a very small minority of the whole. Until this country evolves from it's 'feudal' organization and becomes properly democratic it is my sad belief that the country that I love and live in will eventually fly around in ever decreasing circles and disappear up it's own orifice and become an official 'Failed State'

Unfortunately, here, absorbing knowledge and passing exams aren't usually requirements, just options. Sad but true.

Of course, we all know what the enraged and frustrated lady really meant, when she wrote that sting of warped messages on her college's Facebook.

Id est "David there is no point you being here, if you don't come to my home, eat my rice, and drink my water!"

Edited by Morakot

What she said was chicken feed compared to women in some other countries! E.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLpFG5uUc0

That "lady" seemed drunk. But, more to the point NEWSFLASH: You can't stand on buses in Australia????? What? Anyway, goes along with my theory--people like this all over the world and they are to be scorned and/or ignored.

The four types I typically see here in Thailand (probably similar with most places) are as follows:

1. I have some very good Thai friends here and they aren't pulling the wool over my eyes. They are happy to see me and we hang out. They have, would and will help me out beyond the reasonable if I have trouble. (In my life...about 5-10% of people I interact with daily)

2. The vast majority of people are just taken aback by seeing a Westerner and think it is kind of cool that you are in their shop, teaching their class or eating at their restaurant. They enjoy asking questions about what you do here, how your country is and how you learned Thai and on and on. They generally see it as a fun novelty--like the lady who came up to me the other day and asked me to say something to her, as she had never heard a foreigner speak Thai. Then we had a mini-conversation about the noodles I had bought and what I was going to do on my day off. Done. Very nice, just curious and excited to speak to a Westerner (rare in her world). (about 75-80%of my daily interactions)

3. Some so-called "hi-so" Thais who want everyone (including other Thais) to recognize their status. Their entire lives revolve around being recognized for their status, so foreigners don't get a pass (usually...long story). These people are extremely annoying and to be avoided like the plague. Usually easy to avoid them and doesn't change the game as they can look down on me just as easily when they don't see me often as when they do. EVERYBODY'S HAPPY! (1-5% of daily interactions)

4. Finally, the crazy racist people, like the guy who stared at me like I was an alien invader this morning. Very annoying, but usually too scared of me to say anything. Rather than get defensive, I like to revel in the idea that crazy-eye guy is actually scared of me, as I wouldn't hurt a fly. I just stared right back with no emotion in my face. His problem, not mine. (about 5% of daily interactions at most, thank god)

So, just know who to avoid and you shouldn't have to put up with it much.

• Like 1

The sad pathetic thing about this woman is that Thailand is getting more and more corrupt day by day in front of her. Slowly stealing from Thai people and her, baht by baht, and she is so stupid she thinks foreigners are the problem.

To think that she is a lecturer is sad. She is a very sad reflection on Thai society that shows it really has lost its way. Imagine having such a low opinion of yourself and be so selfish in life that you can't give some water or rice.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I bet that professor has never lived overseas. People with that attitude never do.

Everyone I've ever met in Thailand has treated me very well. That's why I am often surprised by the negativity towards Thais I encounter here in this forum.

Nonetheless, in my country -Australia- our system treats foreigners far better than the Thai system. The 'paying guest' analogy is definitly true when it comes to our legal status here but is completly untrue- in my experience- when it comes to the treatment I've received from Thai people.

• Like 1

One of the comment posters on the article source states:

One needs to be very careful with online issues. Anything can be manufactured with no regard for the truth or bothering to take the time to obtain the true facts. As a representative of academics from the Biotechnology Department at Maejo University, Chiang Mai campus. I would like to state that we have never invited Mr. Chisholm to give any lecture at our department. Also there is nobody in our department who is a senior lecturer and just finished Ph.D. We find the publicized article online on City News Chiang Mai is factually incorrect and made the Biotechnology Department extremely angry. The matter will be investigated further by the university and action taken against those who perpetrated this mis-truth.

Maejo University is well known and respected in its history as a university of agriculture. Many academics are educated both in Thailand and overseas countries. We consider that the world has changed and getting smaller. To be part of this new world, communication with people around the world is so important. There are many languages courses for students in our University to learn. I urge everybody to understand that Maejo University is one of the high standard universities in Thailand.

We request the people responsible for this issue (City News Chiang Mai website or Mr. Chisholm) to provide us with full details of their accusations OR publish a public apology and retract their statements.

Several other posters from CMU that also deny the existence of such a lecturer and/or knowing Mr. Chisholm. Looks like the usual BS.

• Like 1

I still believe in the old saying "respect gets respect".

I have shown respect first as a guest of the country and the majority show it back in my interaction with my missus, her family and our immediate neighbors and friends.

Act like a snob and you will get the same stick real quick too.

No issues for me, I chose to live here...a few quirky characters are not going to spoil it for me and the nearest KFC in Hang Dong.

My opinion and mine only but when a foreigner comes here and tries to change the people to what they want them to be in my opinion they are inviting the if you don't like it go home attitude. When they come and join into as much as they can and do not criticize it they find perfect acceptance.

I of course am speaking of the average Thai not the Hi Sos or the bigot ones. Just the majority of Thais that you will find in your daily routines.

Of course it would be different if you were to be living in a village of 200 the only foreigner and the closest village 15 miles away.

you really think that the general Thai populace actually think any different to her? After being here for a long time, it is blatantly obvious that we are not welcome here, we are tolerated because we pay, we are just as unwelcome as foreigners are in our home countries... You will meet individuals that dont fit the mould certainly, but to Thais as a "collective" we are not welcome but our money is, perpetual paying guests, that is all we are and all we will ever be.

I agree with you to a point, although Thai prejudice against farangs is not in the epic proportions as you are trying to suggest.

Strange actually because the most blatant in your face prejudice I have experienced in Thailand has come from the more educated prominent Thais, mostly middle aged women in fact, but thankfully these incidents have been very few and far between.

Even some of my neighbors whom I have known for years, still regard me being rich and believe I should pay more in Thailand than the poor so-called downtrodden hard working Thais and I should be entitled to nothing. There is no convincing them otherwise, although I have tried. It`s just a stigma that has stuck and refuses to fade away.

We never know what some people are really thinking about us, even those who appear nice and are always polite with us face to face. If all the ex-pats were one day given their marching orders to leave the country, I doubt that the average Thai Joe public would give a toss.

Obviously the prejudice is there in some of the people, this is the down side to living as a foreigner in a foreign land. It makes us realise how foreigners, especially those of other races and cultures, must feel in our own countries, to be part of the communities, but to never be really excepted into them.

May be they know no frang is interest on middle age woman since most of us are with young girls and they are too old

Sent from my ST25i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's not my experience. However, I observe foreigners who inhabit the lower echelons of society by marrying uneducated poor women or even sex workers and their experiences are very different to mine.

I pay my way but nobody asks me for money. I can't think of the last time I knowingly paid a different price for something in Chiang Mai. I visited the zoo a few weeks ago and there is 2-tier pricing for foreign tourists. The girl behind the counter saw my wife and children and without asking charged me the same as a local.

I'm sure there are Thais that don't like me simply because I'm a foreigner. This would be no different to the attitudes of many people in my home country towards foreigners as well. I don't assume the attitudes of a few bigots represent the general feeling of most Thais.

This woman is supposed to be a Lecturer-what amazingly xenophobic rubbish!Thailand would be back centuries if it was for Farang and foreign investment.She is typically arrogant and blinkered.You would have thought she was educated and can read history.

But sadly she is Thai so short sighted and ignorant

I think the editorial staff at CityNews needs to show more discretion in some of the stories they choose to report. Sometimes it seems to me they are too often tempted by the sensational, perhaps to add a little excitement to an otherwise bland presentation. There is no need for them to be the New York Post of Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I think the editorial staff at CityNews needs to show more discretion in some of the stories they choose to report. Sometimes it seems to me they are too often tempted by the sensational, perhaps to add a little excitement to an otherwise bland presentation. There is no need for them to be the New York Post of Chiang Mai.

Or at least do some due diligence in confirming the piece - see my post #135 (or the comments below the source itself from CMU).

Individuals are usually the Thai people "we" have to deal with. How "you" treat those Thai people is a reflection of who you are - how they respond, reflects them. I was in True Visions paying my bin and observed a foreigner trying to pay or do business - mostly I heard him complaining about how "no one speaks English" . This, to me illustrates what I mentioned in the beginning sentences. I grew up in the deep south of the USA and I can tell you that there were a lot of folks there that thought foreigners were from north of Virginia and west of Iowa. Bigotry, racism and just pure stupidity were common - or common in my experience and neighborhood. Those things exist everywhere, in some degree (in my limited experience). Mostly, I get along fine in Thailand - when I have a problem(so far) it has been my own attitude and responses that have caused my problems. So far, I still enjoy living here and going through the hoops to stay. It is the easiest and historically common tactic to blame foreigners for the problems in any country. You have to have a common 'enemy' to get others to join your group and this Maejo teacher is not forming one of those groups (I don't think so) Officially, foreigners are welcome and when official policy becomes too much of a burden, "we" can still leave.

• Like 1

One might encounter such dumb-racist stammering back home too, no question about that, but not on an education- as well as employment-level as claimed here ... might - again - tell something about the level or niveau of so called "very well educated persons" here in LOL ... !

As someone already rightfully stated above, they don't even like each other, so who gives a <deleted> really for that kind of mindset !?

After being here for a long time, it is blatantly obvious that we are not welcome here

Well, as a Thai citizen, to put it bluntly I think you're wrong! (Or obviously you haven't been here long enough!)

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

One of the comment posters on the article source states:

One needs to be very careful with online issues. Anything can be manufactured with no regard for the truth or bothering to take the time to obtain the true facts. As a representative of academics from the Biotechnology Department at Maejo University, Chiang Mai campus. I would like to state that we have never invited Mr. Chisholm to give any lecture at our department. Also there is nobody in our department who is a senior lecturer and just finished Ph.D. We find the publicized article online on City News Chiang Mai is factually incorrect and made the Biotechnology Department extremely angry. The matter will be investigated further by the university and action taken against those who perpetrated this mis-truth.

Maejo University is well known and respected in its history as a university of agriculture. Many academics are educated both in Thailand and overseas countries. We consider that the world has changed and getting smaller. To be part of this new world, communication with people around the world is so important. There are many languages courses for students in our University to learn. I urge everybody to understand that Maejo University is one of the high standard universities in Thailand.

We request the people responsible for this issue (City News Chiang Mai website or Mr. Chisholm) to provide us with full details of their accusations OR publish a public apology and retract their statements.

Several other posters from CMU that also deny the existence of such a lecturer and/or knowing Mr. Chisholm. Looks like the usual BS.

The article has a certain odor. How such a story found its way into print is a real puzzle. I also did a word search on the first sentence of the quote above. Maybe I missed something, but nothing turned up other than what you see above. Is there any concrete attribution for that, as well?

utter nonsense...no more to be said.