Farang, go home!

Mapguy

The Thais have a great time.They are in a win win situation. When we come to Thailand we are treated like walking ATM machine but when Thais come to Europe they get large financial benifits,especially in the UK....even free medical care in hospitals,doctors etc.This university woman should open her eyes a bit more and come into the lose lose world we Europeans live in.

• Like 2

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great thread for the Thai bashers. Must admit that an academic in USA could not expect to get away with such postings without censure. Though these academic speech codes and climate of political correctness, regardless 1st amendment rights, are the reaction to a nascent emergence from history of open and legally codified racism, sexism, and segregation hardly a generation old. A nation where the likes of David Duke could be elected to public office.

What about our other home countries? Is there no BNP, no Golden Dawn and emergence of open fascism elsewhere? Ever hear an AM radio broadcast? Just google the word "black" or "jew" and see the flood of vile English language crap you will soon be linked to. Fact is most people are stupid, some of them are called teacher, and bigotry and ignorance is the norm rather than the exception worldwide. I don't know what people expect here. You want to be liked?, go buy a puppy. Then again this is the forum where a one can get pages of responses to a lament of the fact one is not acknowledged by every random farang he passes in BKK.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2

Strangely enough he said this on their front page:

"Welcome to Maejo University, the Home of Cowboys!"

Chamnian Yosraj

He also left his email and phone number, you could ask him yourself :)

http://www.mju.ac.th/tri_versions/eng_index.php

Most universities are preparing for the entrance into the ASEAN community and the International language is........

I wonder what this lady is doing about it and what her Principal would say?

I feel she has experienced just the tip of the (future) iceberg.

Happy Sailing!

I am betting the students retain little to none of her teachings.

In one ear and out the other

How about that for a curriculum.
--Introduction to Xenophobia 101
--Worlds worst drivers 201
--Saving face 401
--Self destruction nutrition 301
--Advanced corruption practices 501
So much to learn. So little time :-)
  • Like 1

Thai's are very adept at hiding behind the SMILE ...being a farang here for 7 years it took me a while before I understood, but many Thai's feel this way, not all but many:

"Chisholm: “Khun ******, I would like to know if your comments on my Facebook page like "Farang is not good" and "Why you stay here now. Get out!" and "This is my country. Don't be so nosy!" are meant to be serious or are you joking?”

******: “Serious, very serious. In fact, I hate forienge for a long time. You come to my country for use my resource."

Edited by rainwater

there is a lot of hatred that goes around in politics these days everywhere with social media instant communication, immigration and relations with foreigners included. Now there is a heighten sense of rage in Thailand given the current political situation with the anti Thaksin protestors wanting Yingluck to resign, and this is an example of their rage coming out telling the truth about their contempt towards foreigners too. Not all Thai's hate us, some just are indifferent and happy to take our money, but many do...this is common in my home country too with the current immigration laws being debated now in America.

I always thought western countries had a monopoly on xenophobia. wink.png

There is nothing surprising in the OP other than a Thai lecturer displaying human nature.

Thai people are human too. Who could expect more of them?

Edited by 96tehtarp

--Saving face 401

Add a couple of history courses too so that they might learn why they are not a vassal state of Japan or Vietnam and who they have to thank for that.

• Like 1

This is my home. And I probably pay more taxes than she does.

Sorry Minnehaha, you have your head in the sand, this is not your home and never will be. You cannot own land, you as a foreigner are well under the control of big brother just as I am in .china, the major difference is that my wife is a superb business lady and I also am doing well. You guys are nothing more than cash cows, and that is the difference. If your income disappears tomorrow, do you really believe your loving TaiTai will treat you the same ?. Up to you, make your own mind up

You sound unhappy, disillusioned. Sorry about that. Someday you may wish to realize that happiness is a choice.

What makes you think I am a cash cow? I am not. Some months my wife makes more income than I do. She is a very sharp businesswoman. We are both well-educated, bi-lingual and.... dare I say it... happily married.

You are either a troll or just another idiot farang that hooked up with a bar girl and got taken for a ride, which does happen often in Thailand. Glad to say I have never had the experience.

Sounds like you had your head pulled out of the sand. Too bad it is in a place like China. Been many times. I would rather live ANYWHERE in Asia than China. I don't know a single foreign person who likes in China. I can see how that would make a person unhappy.

bad english or not.... she got her point across! for the past few years i've felt more and more thais feel the same way. hey, they now have the asean countries to now support them and they don't need the "evil west". it's dying place for yanks, aussies and europeans. i left last year. hell, it's cheaper for me to live in the states!! i just visit now for a month or so and partake in the local culture and therefore i don't have to complain about meat and cheese anymore.

'the times they are a changin......" Bob Dylan

• Like 1

I'd say most Thais will tolerate us or are apathetic towards us and don't really care if we are here or not.

I agree. For the most part we are not on their radar screens.

And for the ones that aggressively display their dislike of foreigners, don't take it personal- they will beat each other up at the drop of a hat :)

--Saving face 401

Add a couple of history courses too so that they might learn why they are not a vassal state of Japan or Vietnam and who they have to thank for that.

The Australianswink.png

No point in looking for any reasoning--one typically cannot where a child is concerned. I would also posit she is desperately in need of something in her life, while her 'education' and worldliness (haha) are certainly up for debate. However, those who think that Thais do not harbour resentment/distrust/dislike of the 'farang', or anyone else other than Thai for that matter, by default should perhaps have a long hard think. We are tolerated, nothing more. Note: not all are in this category (most are) and those people around Thais who are receiving benefit in any way don't really count.

I fail to see how any of this is different from feelings expressed in our home countries.

Ask a fisherman along the Texas gulf coast how he really feels about the Vietnamese who are taking over the fishing business there.

Ask an Arizona resident how he really feels about Mexican immigration.

Ask a black woman in Mississippi how she's treated when she goes into a 7-Eleven and there are a few white people in line behind her.

Ask a Pakistani how he feels when going into a shop in London, ask an Italian how he feels when a German walks into his shop and demands service.

Many Americans complain today that so many of the bigger attractions and buildings in New York have been bought up by Middle Eastern concerns and are no longer owned by Americans. Fact is, they couldn't have been bought up unless some individual Americans wanted a lot of money and found rich buyers for Rockafella Center, the Empire State Building, and a host of other 'American' icons. Those buyers just happened NOT to be American. Thousands of acres of farmland are now owned by foreign concerns. We sold it because we wanted money and we didn't care who supplied it.

How many nasty slang words are their in your home countries for various ethnicities? How many sit-coms are based around someone's daughter marrying outside her race, religion, or country? How many fights have started because someone called another 'wop,' 'greaser,' 'kike,' ' beaner,' or 'nigger,' or 'slope?' Can we really say that everyone loves us?

So this Thai 'teacher' came out and said the words and we are all soooo shocked. Sure, the sentiments are wrong. But are they really any different from what you hear at home if you listen carefully? Perhaps Thailand is more clever than the US. Thailand won't sell off its icons to foreign buyers. It won't sell off its land to foreign buyers. It is happy to take our money but clever enough not to part with its integrity. Perhaps the real question is 'why are we so shocked?'

• Like 1

I fail to see how any of this is different from feelings expressed in our home countries.

Ask a fisherman along the Texas gulf coast how he really feels about the Vietnamese who are taking over the fishing business there.

Ask a black woman in Mississippi how she's treated when she goes into a 7-Eleven and there are a few white people in line behind her.

Ask a Pakistani how he feels when going into a shop in London, ask an Italian how he feels when a German walks into his shop and demands service.

Many Americans complain today that so many of the bigger attractions and buildings in New York have been bought up by Middle Eastern concerns and are no longer owned by Americans. Fact is, they couldn't have been bought up unless some individual Americans wanted a lot of money and found rich buyers for Rockafella Center, the Empire State Building, and a host of other 'American' icons. Those buyers just happened NOT to be American. Thousands of acres of farmland are now owned by foreign concerns. We sold it because we wanted money and we didn't care who supplied it.

How many nasty slang words are their in your home countries for various ethnicities? How many sit-coms are based around someone's daughter marrying outside her race, religion, or country? How many fights have started because someone called another 'wop,' 'greaser,' 'kike,' ' beaner,' or 'nigger,' or 'slope?' Can we really say that everyone loves us?

So this Thai 'teacher' came out and said the words and we are all soooo shocked. Sure, the sentiments are wrong. But are they really any different from what you hear at home if you listen carefully? Perhaps Thailand is more clever than the US. Thailand won't sell off its icons to foreign buyers. It won't sell off its land to foreign buyers. It is happy to take our money but clever enough not to part with its integrity. Perhaps the real question is 'why are we so shocked?'

I understand, all the fish & chip shops in Australia were once owned by the greeks now they all seem to be Asian run.smile.png

I understand, all the fish & chip shops in Australia were once owned by the greeks now they all seem to be Asian run.smile.png

This is also true of the greengrocers in cities in America. . The majority seem to be Korean or Vietnamese run these days instead of Italian-owned. And the motel owners are primarily Indian. But it makes sense. To make a profit on a time-sensitive commodity, a family-run business works best. The last large immigrant wave in the US is Asian, and so many are willing to work the long hours, work hard, live in the back of the shop, and have plenty of kids to help out, removing 'paying staff wages' from the expense side of the ledger. The last big immigrant wave in the US, the Italians, have all moved a step up the social ladder, moving into apartments, having fewer children, who, rather than working the family shop, go on into other fields, making way for the next wave to take over those jobs. This was the same progression for each immigrant wave; German, Irish, Jewish, Hispanic, Vietnamese, and now Korean. I imagine it's the same for any country that permits almost unlimited immigration.

Let her rant and rave all she wants. In the US she would have that right. So I will give her the opportunity. Now whether or not she actually said what she is being reported to have said, which I actually have no doubt about even when considering the Thai's natural need to avoid any confrontation, what she has 'said' I am sure is based upon her own experiences. They certainly do not seem to be the same opinions had by my many friends and colleagues (all Thai) here in the North West (Mae Sot). But then I smile a lot and am always as polite as possible and don't drink and fall down or go hunting for that 'Bar Girl'.

Thailand is a country that I respect as much as possible. Sure there are things that I would like to see change, but as a guest here I know my 'place' as it were. Sure there are things about this country and its people that I frankly do not understand at all and find irritating as hell, but again I am a guest here so must respect the local 'culture' and just move on and get over it.

I do hear what she is trying to say though (no matter how badly). She is angry. She seems frustrated. There also seems to be something in her past that has set her off. What that something is would be helpful to know for sure. Farangs being here is not I think the real issue. There is something more personal to her directly at work here. For she is very un-Thai in her comments and opinions. Maybe someone should dig into her background a bit more to find the true source of this rather myopic view point she has spouted on about.

However, to her I say this.... "Grow the hell up lady!" The farang investments alone are not things that Thailand wants to see leave. For that matter if she had her way the beaches, the hotels, the new buildings, the bars, and everything else would be empty. Unless she is just using the word farang to describe the Westerners (from the North America, the EU and Russia). If that is the case then she will have the joy of looking forward to all the Chinese coming in and taking over quietly as they are doing elsewhere in the world. I say , "Good luck with that"!

Strange actually because the most blatant in your face prejudice I have experienced in Thailand has come from the more educated prominent Thais, mostly middle aged women in fact, but thankfully these incidents have been very few and far between.

....my experience also....higher up the social and economic strata one will naturally find more of a feverish pitch towards 'flag-waving'...my teacher used to refer to these forms as "educated-ignorance".

I recall one of the senators saying that Thailand should "kick-out" all the foreigners...for awhile, so the country can get a hold of it's self.

.....interesting undercurrent to the statement.

I'm wondering if some of the educated middle class Thais might remember better than others how their currency (and country) got royally forked over by Western banksters back in the dark days of '97.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm wondering if some of the educated middle class Thais might remember better than others how their currency (and country) got royally forked over by Western banksters back in the dark days of '97.

I also wonder if they remember thinking that pegging the Baht to the Dollar encouraged the kind of speculative behaviour that caused the crash in the first place. People like Soros just picked some nice bits of meat off that were left on the bone.

• Like 1

I can't believe there are 202 responses to this posting.

There are people in every country, old or young, short of tall, educated or uneducated who have some of the attitudes attributed to this woman.

There are plenty of farang on tv who will instantly and repeatedly make negative comments about thais for the slightest reason.

This is life, warts and all! Get over it.

• Like 1

I also wonder if they remember thinking that pegging the Baht to the Dollar encouraged the kind of speculative behaviour that caused the crash in the first place. People like Soros just picked some nice bits of meat off that were left on the bone.

Puh-leeze! Soros and his bankster cohorts made billions shorting the baht, somewhat more than "some nice bits of meat." They were willing and able to invest as much as necessary in order to be successful, and of course they knew the Thai government, in trying to support the baht, would run out of money sooner or later. He did something similar with the pound, I believe, and will do it to the dollar when the time is right.

• Like 1

Fair enough, but billions of dollars in short sales is not the "tiniest thing." The Thais were inexperienced and therefore gullible to believe the banksters wouldn't fork them over in the end, after encouraging/financing the bubble in the first place. The fascist banksters used to buy journalists to get them to disseminate lies such as those which you seem to have swallowed, that imply that the whole thing was Thailand's fault. Nowadays they have so much blood money they don't even bother.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app