Farang, go home!

Mapguy

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the career of a "university lecturer" would be over back in the States is she displayed this much candor, due to our Orwellian conception of "free speech" in the modern age. Of course, Thailand has its own long list of things that many people believe but aren't allowed to say without catching heck. I suppose most countries do.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you really think that the general Thai populace actually think any different to her? After being here for a long time, it is blatantly obvious that we are not welcome here, we are tolerated because we pay, we are just as unwelcome as foreigners are in our home countries... You will meet individuals that dont fit the mould certainly, but to Thais as a "collective" we are not welcome but our money is, perpetual paying guests, that is all we are and all we will ever be.

The sooner you accept that fact the better.

That's not my experience. However, I observe foreigners who inhabit the lower echelons of society by marrying uneducated poor women or even sex workers and their experiences are very different to mine.

I pay my way but nobody asks me for money. I can't think of the last time I knowingly paid a different price for something in Chiang Mai. I visited the zoo a few weeks ago and there is 2-tier pricing for foreign tourists. The girl behind the counter saw my wife and children and without asking charged me the same as a local.

I'm sure there are Thais that don't like me simply because I'm a foreigner. This would be no different to the attitudes of many people in my home country towards foreigners as well. I don't assume the attitudes of a few bigots represent the general feeling of most Thais.

However the lady in question who made the statements is hardly an uneducated poor woman inhabiting the lower echelons of society. She is a PhD candidate and is highly respected at the university, according to the article. How could she possibly feel that way toward farangs?

Probably because most all of them feel that way. She's just saying it.

• Like 1

It's interesting how this played out because I love/hate all nationalities equally. When a question arises and/or there is a question the most simple answer is the most obvious answer. So,

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.

But...

I love you, I love you, I love you.

My Ann Lander's advice for the guy is to ask her out. Eat out at The RIVER MARKET.

you really think that the general Thai populace actually think any different to her? After being here for a long time, it is blatantly obvious that we are not welcome here, we are tolerated because we pay, we are just as unwelcome as foreigners are in our home countries... You will meet individuals that dont fit the mould certainly, but to Thais as a "collective" we are not welcome but our money is, perpetual paying guests, that is all we are and all we will ever be.

That's not my experience. However, I observe foreigners who inhabit the lower echelons of society by marrying uneducated poor women or even sex workers and their experiences are very different to mine.

I pay my way but nobody asks me for money. I can't think of the last time I knowingly paid a different price for something in Chiang Mai. I visited the zoo a few weeks ago and there is 2-tier pricing for foreign tourists. The girl behind the counter saw my wife and children and without asking charged me the same as a local.

I'm sure there are Thais that don't like me simply because I'm a foreigner. This would be no different to the attitudes of many people in my home country towards foreigners as well. I don't assume the attitudes of a few bigots represent the general feeling of most Thais.

However the lady in question who made the statements is hardly an uneducated poor woman inhabiting the lower echelons of society. She is a PhD candidate and is highly respected at the university, according to the article. How could she possibly feel that way toward farangs?

Probably because most all of them feel that way. She's just saying it.

Or it could be that it's just made up and this 'lecturer' doesn't actually exist. Click the link and you'll read posts from Thai people working at the university who state this. However, it has created a lot of traffic for the website that published this 'revelation'. wink.png Either way, it still doesn't represent my experience of living and working with Thais.

And this is a higly educated person?? Look at her english. Says it all. No sense no brain. Guess she willnever be an economics proffesor. Better a low educated farmer that's nice than these kind of C*nts. But i think foreigners in my homecoutry are treated likewise, only our highly educated people don't speak out in such simple words and thoughts. It\s the lower class there that speaks in simplistic and racist terms

We must go home now after building everything for you. Wow, thats gratitude.........sad.png

I hope you are in the departure lounge whilst you write this. Please tell me you are not using Thai technology on you laptop/ipad they did create this you know. Oh my god you're breathing Thai air whilst waiting to depart. Spit it out you thieving bast@#d biggrin.png

It's interesting how this played out because I love/hate all nationalities equally. When a question arises and/or there is a question the most simple answer is the most obvious answer. So, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. But... I love you, I love you, I love you. My Ann Lander's advice for the guy is to ask her out. Eat out at The RIVER MARKET.

Have eaten at your restaurant there and it's good, but at the Promenadia it is <deleted> and won't go back there. On the River yes definitely.

I think she should be nominated for Nobel prize.

She has found a way to produce fresh milk without the cow

She hates foreigners and claims most Thai also do, but the moment something happens, they all go running for approval or help to foreign countries

She hates foreigners, and yet most of the economy is based on exports

I propose she makes a public speech and tells all foreigners, including foreign owned businesses to go back.

Lets see what buffalo she would be riding to work and how much salary she will receive.

Ops almost forgot, it is mainly foreign, international company's who actually pay any tax

Now little off topic on the matters of land, water and rice.

I have seen first hand Thai love for the land and its nature.

Place where i take my dogs for a walk, had beautiful 3 lakes with nice greenery, fish, birds, turtles etc.

Place was somewhat unknown and out of the way.

By some miracle, a Thai found it, first began the fish eradication,day in and day out, they were there fishing, eating it out, even the smallest fish

Once fish dried up, they decided to make it easier and drained the whole, entire lake, killing its entire fauna-birds, turtles, snakes etc.

So the lake was turned into a dump and not too long after into a rubbish dump.

But, that was not enough, apparently many trees can be eaten, so for the next few months they made sure to eradicate all the greenery.

Now its an empty field with a rubbish dump in the middle.

Thai land is for Thai indeed

• Like 1

Growing up in working class Old School America, we had appropriate slurs and generalizations for any category of ethnic, racial, or religious group. It's a proud national tradition. Nobody gets a pass.

For reference, see the barbershop scene in Clint Eastwood's film "Gran Torino."

Personally, I got a big laugh out of that whole exchange, (who is this "Chisholm" guy, anyway?) which is perhaps a piece of short fiction.

What kind of visa do you have? Unless you have PR, or god forbid citizenship, you're paying every year just to be with your wife and kids. Even if you have a PR you were paying for visas for years and then paid dearly for the PR.

So it was a lucky day at the zoo and lady let you go in for a normal price. That does not prove that farangs are not tolerated only because of money. Have you tried to go to a national park (5 times higher price than for Thais)? Have you been to the temple at Doi Suthep or some other touristy temple? There is a farang stupidity fee there too. Not to mention the ridiculously high price farangs are charged at Wat PraKaew.

Typically, it is uneducated, poor Thais who will like foreigners (some money may trickle down to them one way or another).

It is those who don't need farang money so desperately that will be anti-farang the most. After all, who would like old, bald, fat man coming to their country mostly for sex with barely legal girls/boys. The educated ones know that this makes their country look, well, like Thailand.

Yes, there are exceptions, but stereotypes are there because they are true with high probability and Lobin's reply hit nail on the head.

the only person I have met to wish foreigners leave and say loudly that he hates all of us, when confronted by the knowledge that my western friend in the village was a black belt in karate, suddenly kept his big mouth shut. now we don,t see him at all. most of my thai family say he,s a loser.

the only person I have met to wish foreigners leave and say loudly that he hates all of us, when confronted by the knowledge that my western friend in the village was a black belt in karate, suddenly kept his big mouth shut. now we don,t see him at all. most of my thai family say he,s a loser.

So he gave him an attitude adjustment and he now respects farangs?

This is my home. And I probably pay more taxes than she does.

Sorry Minnehaha, you have your head in the sand, this is not your home and never will be. You cannot own land, you as a foreigner are well under the control of big brother just as I am in .china, the major difference is that my wife is a superb business lady and I also am doing well. You guys are nothing more than cash cows, and that is the difference. If your income disappears tomorrow, do you really believe your loving TaiTai will treat you the same ?. Up to you, make your own mind up

I agree with you to a point, although Thai prejudice against farangs is not in the epic proportions as you are trying to suggest.

Strange actually because the most blatant in your face prejudice I have experienced in Thailand has come from the more educated prominent Thais, mostly middle aged women in fact, but thankfully these incidents have been very few and far between.

Even some of my neighbors whom I have known for years, still regard me being rich and believe I should pay more in Thailand than the poor so-called downtrodden hard working Thais and I should be entitled to nothing. There is no convincing them otherwise, although I have tried. It`s just a stigma that has stuck and refuses to fade away.

We never know what some people are really thinking about us, even those who appear nice and are always polite with us face to face. If all the ex-pats were one day given their marching orders to leave the country, I doubt that the average Thai Joe public would give a toss.

Obviously the prejudice is there in some of the people, this is the down side to living as a foreigner in a foreign land. It makes us realise how foreigners, especially those of other races and cultures, must feel in our own countries, to be part of the communities, but to never be really excepted into them.

Your last paragraph sums up as how foreigners feel living in your countries. Some welcome us, some don't.

No matter what the Thais actually do think of us, it'll never match the way that blacks, Pakistanis, West Indians, East Europeans etc are generally regarded in the UK or in Europe generally. Can't speak for the good old US of A , but I'm sure not so differently.

Got a chip on your shoulder about it? Oh dear, what an <deleted> shame !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I fear everyone is being a tad hard on the 'little lady'. She's entitled to sound off occasionally....so let's not get overexcited if her tirade isn't the most complimentary toward the resident foreign GDP.

About to complete her PhD and doubtless gain prestigious employment overseeing the indigenous labour market as it performs wonderful things under her tutelage. Time and tide will soften her jagged edges and educate her to the reality of her world, although, perhaps reality is behind the 'sour face' !

Whatever the case, as she moves from years of study and finally into the labour market, she will have the pick of employment from a plethora of innovative, vibrantly successful avant guarde internationally placed Thai corporations.

So, raise your glasses and join with me in a toast to the 'ugly duckling' as she blossoms into a beautiful, successful, Thai Swan with all its inherent balanced mentality.

.....to the ugly duckling....cheers. : )

This is my home. And I probably pay more taxes than she does.

Sorry Minnehaha, you have your head in the sand, this is not your home and never will be. You cannot own land, you as a foreigner are well under the control of big brother just as I am in .china, the major difference is that my wife is a superb business lady and I also am doing well. You guys are nothing more than cash cows, and that is the difference. If your income disappears tomorrow, do you really believe your loving TaiTai will treat you the same ?. Up to you, make your own mind up

Interesting logic. I can and have legally owned land in two different countries with no more paper work than any other citizen of that country. Yet I can not own land here in Thailand yet it is home to me not those other two countries.

Home is here in Thailand.

I actually feel sorry for the people who base every thing on owning land. They are missinbg so much more in life.

Obviously the prejudice is there in some of the people, this is the down side to living as a foreigner in a foreign land. It makes us realise how foreigners, especially those of other races and cultures, must feel in our own countries, to be part of the communities, but to never be really excepted into them.

Whoa!!! SWEEEEEEET little freudian slip there, spelling that word "excepted."

No offense, I just couldn't resist. I think this thread is about tapped out anyway...

(...and I'm not a Grammar/Spelling Nazi. If I were, I'd never be finished on this site).

So he has lived here for seven years and has finally found a Thai who doesn't like foreigners. He could try Thai Visa and in seven seconds would find a foreigner who doesn't like Thais.

And after a few minutes he could find foreigners who don't like foreigners , especially those of the lower echelons of falang society who

marry poor girls or even sex workers ( shudder ) .coffee1.gif

As Jesus probably said ( only to be misquoted ) " Unless thou hast loads of money thou shall in no way see the kingdom of god "

I would say they do care about foreigners and anywhere you have lines say at the local food stall this is why Thai's believe they should always be served first. There are people who will simply push in front of foreigners in line because they because foreigners are second class citizens and deserve to be treated as such. It's attitudes like this lecturers that reenforce these notions.

All of this eminates from such Party slogans as Thai love "rak" Thai etc etc.

Just wait until someone peels back the curtains that cover her eyes. She believes that she has some poaition because she's a teacher. Could you imagine giving a c**p about what opinion your local community college master had?

She's a no one even by thai standards.

let say this is just an isolated case,

but in a nationalisitc country full of people with weak brain,

well within a night, their view about farang can dramatically change!

You just need a thai leader/singer/popstar to teach them to hate us... and that's it, not so complicated.

They are like sheep...

I'm surprised some of the low life farangs that Thai's allow in their country.I believe that farangs have to show proof of how much money they have to get into Thailand ,it would keep the rip raft out of the country.

Yes some bad people would squeeze thru.But not near as many as there are now.Yes I'm sure I will get some feedback on this.

I'm surprised some of the low life farangs that Thai's allow in their country.I believe that farangs have to show proof of how much money they have to get into Thailand ,it would keep the rip raft out of the country.

Yes some bad people would squeeze thru.But not near as many as there are now.Yes I'm sure I will get some feedback on this.

What's a rip raft then? Sounds like some sort emergency flotation device? Can't understand why you'd want to keep those out of your country. But hey, there are all sorts of weirdos on this site. Good luck campaigning on that one

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I own a country; small island in the middle of the pacific. I have a few rules:

no fatties

no idiots

no poor people

nobody over 6 feet

nobody under 5 feet

no diseases

no criminal history

perfect credit

minimum bank balance, 1 million USD

current population: 0, unconfirmed

“These comments were not made by an uneducated person,” said Chisholm, “They are from a very well-educated person who works in a university,

Having a Thai Uni Degree does not necessarily equate to being "Educated", I'm afraid.

Nor does it necessarily equate to being intelligent

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I own a country; small island in the middle of the pacific. I have a few rules:

no fatties

no idiots

no poor people

nobody over 6 feet

nobody under 5 feet

no diseases

no criminal history

perfect credit

minimum bank balance, 1 million USD

current population: 0, unconfirmed

where can I apply for a residence visa ?