Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point is, we are talking about an expat with about 10 years experience in Pattaya, there are times when you keep your mouth shut, capice,

I thought the point of this thread is how a foreigner can be assaulted by a local, with no concequences usually.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I dont know the point of the thread, but I

well believe JT and dont doubt he was assaulted, whether he brought it on himself is neither here nor there.

The fact is there are scum operating in Pattaya who are above the law, take a wander down to BR and watch the jet ski scammers in full view of anyone, they dont give a flying <deleted>.

Ok lets go to the police station, assuming JT could rustle up some witnesses, or lets head off to the tourists courts, 500 baht tops.

Sadly, what JT posted is not untypical of the shithouse that is Pattaya these days, not so long ago it was a nice place to visit, these days I prefer to head further south, dont have these problems in Rayong or Chan.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

What are you on about? There haven't been legit 5 baht fares even for Thais for years already!

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

your right about the 5 baht fares but the fact remains you were willing to get beat to a pulp over 5 or 10 baht ,that doesn't resonate with me..sorry and i realize that you cheapcharlies have to live like that but is it really worth it

Taxies, I tip.

Subways are automated.. so no I don't tip Subways.

Cable cars. Haven't been in a cable car lately.

Pilots, I don't tip.

The Pattaya bahtbus (when running a set route) is a bus. Pure and simple. Tipping doesn't come into it.

So I'm curious as to whether you (or anyone else) pay double the standard bus fare in your home town and, if so, why? I certainly don't nor do I see any reason to.

• Like 1

.. willing to get beat to a pulp over 5 or 10 baht ,that doesn't resonate with me..sorry and i realize that you cheapcharlies have to live like that but is it really worth it

Do you really think what happened to OP has anything to do with persons income, being what you call cheap charlie, and not principles?

You think we, Pattaya baht bus users can't afford a car, or a bike?

with the consumed time and responses of the umpteen thousand posts...I am very surprised you have time to interact in public,

nevermind the endless perceived hassles.

you may be part of the problem... and one of many portraying a bad farang image.

mirror time??

with the consumed time and responses of the umpteen thousand  posts...I am very surprised you have time to interact in public,

nevermind the endless perceived hassles.

you may be part of the problem... and one of many portraying a bad farang image.

mirror time??

Yes dear me bad f-rang

I actually find the name calling here funny. There are some cool comments but mostly like a pack of hyenas who have smelled blood. I will leave the thread now as the query from the OP is well answered ... violent drivers are largely above the law.

with the consumed time and responses of the umpteen thousand posts...I am very surprised you have time to interact in public,

nevermind the endless perceived hassles.

you may be part of the problem... and one of many portraying a bad farang image.

mirror time??

Yes dear me bad f-rang

fairy enough.

you got clipped.

• Like 1

Again the lesson here for myself and all is pay what is demanded no matter wrong or right or risk being assaulted.

I am surprised this first occur to you now JT, I think you had problems with bath bus drivers before, yes?

I also read about the guy who got beaten in the head with an iron bar in a dispute over a bar bill.

Another one I read about was a British man on Phuket that got severely injured (also by an iron bar) over a dispute over work done on his house, I hope he survived, think he was in a coma.

Just pay man, it's not worth it and since you didn't really got hurt (pride only) then you have to consider if you will complain at the police station and look over your shoulder the next 3 month or stop using the bath buses all together. The taxa people here are mafia which we all know and they will always stick together and they might retaliate since you live here and are not a tourist and can leave tomorrow if needed.

I only use the motor bike taxa's now and again (when out drinking with friends downtown) and here you have the advantage that you agree on a price before you go and I never had any problems and they drive me straight to the gate of my house.

Paying 20 baht for going over the hill Pattaya/Jomtien is cheap as chips compared to the rest of the world (and Phuket).

I think the British man in a coma was in Hua Hin... I remember that story, it was absolutely horrible.

I have also witnessed some scenes of shocking violence in Pattaya... in broad daylight, nobody stepped in, everybody behaving as if nothing was happening...

Looking at the violence in Bangkok these days... If they can be so ruthless towards each other, why should we be surprised when they turn on us foreigners? After all, they only see us as a source of income - especially in Pattaya.

• Like 1

well i knew it would only be a matter of time before Jingthing got taken to task on his insistence of only paying 5 and 10 baht for a ride , i always give them 20 baht and and be done with it no arguing no hassle and im on my way lifes way too short !!!!

In defense of OP no one likes to feel like they are being ripped off. I pay 10 baht not 20. Unless it is a longish ride in which case I'm not certain and THEN I pay 20 baht. I never get any flack. if I did I would pay it but I wouldn't like it. And I wouldn't just pay it all the time. I'd feel like a chump.

The point is, we are talking about an expat with about 10 years experience in Pattaya, there are times when you keep your mouth shut, capice,

I thought the point of this thread is how a foreigner can be assaulted by a local, with no concequences usually.

I dont know the point of the thread, but I

well believe JT and dont doubt he was assaulted, whether he brought it on himself is neither here nor there.

The fact is there are scum operating in Pattaya who are above the law, take a wander down to BR and watch the jet ski scammers in full view of anyone, they dont give a flying <deleted>.

Ok lets go to the police station, assuming JT could rustle up some witnesses, or lets head off to the tourists courts, 500 baht tops.

Sadly, what JT posted is not untypical of the shithouse that is Pattaya these days, not so long ago it was a nice place to visit, these days I prefer to head further south, dont have these problems in Rayong or Chan.

I can agree with this. I believe 15 years ago other thais would intervene if they saw a thai thug beating a farang. Today there are far too many eager to join in IMO. And few willing to stand up to the thugs.

BTW, shithouse or not, I do love Pattaya for other reasons. tongue.png

• Like 1

I just think your trying to get as much MILAGE out of this thread as you can, a bit like some people who try to get more MILAGE for their 10 baht on a baht bus.

Spot on.

I was actually more interested in the nature of the "beat up" beating ... was it a volley of punches to the face and guts, or a shove to the shoulder? or getting smacked with a fanny pack?

Legs and ears. Multiple hits and kicks. Leg still sore.

So would this qualify as gay bashing :-]

A baht bus driver violently attacked me in full view of several witnesses and then just drove off. He seemed oblivious of any possible consequences of his action. As there was no serious injury and my expectation that not only nothing would happen to him and indeed a fear of blowback upon myself I did not report this even though I have his truck number. Yes his motivation was a fare dispute but does that actually give these drivers a pass to attack people? His blows were forceful and could have caused serious injury but I guesd I am lucky that they didn't.

If all else fails aim and strike the crutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes some are thugs but I did make a mistake by not following what I already knew, that having any conflict with a driver risks violence. Now that lesson has been beat into me so yes the thug won. First time I've been assaulted since junior high school -- maybe I live a sheltered life.

I understand that a conflict with a car driver can turn nasty, weird isn't it.

Road rage can be really mad.

Last time I got beaten up was about 12 years ago in a disco in Taiwan, was my fault really, being drunk on my birthday. The staff in the disco didn't see the funny side. It went on for ages, I remember laying on the floor curled up in a ball as about 5 blokes kicked me black and blue, thinking "this is bad, when will it stop" - I managed to walk away but ended up in hospital.

Never mind, it was a wake up call.

So I guess you have had one also.

Have a good day.

JT, I appreciate the majority of your posts, they are normally informative, and come from experience!!!!! This time though, you should have known better!!!! Or were you actually looking for this outcome, "you have had a hard on about baht busses for a while!!!)?

Is this going to be the baht bus encour, so to speak?? The final rendition?

Taxies, I tip.

Pilots, I don't tip.

The Pattaya bahtbus (when running a set route) is a bus. Pure and simple. Tipping doesn't come into it.

So I'm curious as to whether you (or anyone else) pay double the standard bus fare in your home town and, if so, why? I certainly don't nor do I see any reason to.

I consider them taxies and tip when they take me a long distance, don't drive like morons. (not often)

I consider them taxies and tip when they take me a long distance, don't drive like morons. (not often)

Seriously ... tipping BahtBus drivers ... facepalm.gif

It is not that unusual, I have seen it done often.

These fare disputes could have some unfortunate (?) consequences. What would people say if they were forced to prepay before boarding or the Jomtien route ends at Pattaya Tai and the bus is forced to join the que there?

Taxies, I tip.

Pilots, I don't tip.

.... and in my home country the bus driver no longer carry cash, for safety reasons. I overpaid several times because I didn't have the exact change. We would give our local driver a Christmas present.

Jomtien to Central Festival.

If I don't have a 10bt coin, I toss the guy a 20 sometimes.

Let's not forget. Some of them are damn near human.

By your NOT reporting him, you are giving him license to do it again. You say you have witnesses... Even if he was justified, he has not right to resort to voilence any more than we would.

Unlikely that the worthless police would do anything, but if enough complaints are filed against someone, then they eventually get off their ass and at least warn them.