Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rubbish. I NEVER said the driver's motivations were not understandable. The Bangkok cabbie that murdered an American with a samurai sword's motivations were understandable. It's not about the fare detaild it's about driver violence.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Because of the numerous blanks or grey areas in the story that you are not prepared to discuss I was thinking about what you wrote in post-53

“ Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away.”

Perhaps he interpreted your gesture of walking away as “ take it or leave it “ whereas if you had just spent a few extra seconds explaining where you had got on and why he was asking you to pay more now than what you normally pay he may have backed off? There must have been something in the attitude you conveyed to him that set him off.

I agree. Language and such. Anyway still not acceptable.

It's processed by the driver as an insult and he may be on the edge at the moment. Similar to my x wife :-)

Rubbish. I NEVER said the driver's motivations were not understandable. The Bangkok cabbie that murdered an American with a samurai sword's motivations were understandable. It's not about the fare detaild it's about driver violence.

But how else could he possibly convey his dissatisfaction with the situation when you walked away?rolleyes.gif

You didn't give him a chance for a discussion

I already explained what he could have done. Thai apologists here making excuses for this violence disgust me. The same kind of inanity was heard even when the America was stabbed to death in Bangkok that he must have not been polite enough.

• Like 2

The driver obviously believed you breached the 10B travelling distance. In fact you say in an earlier post that he actually said he wanted 20B, implying this is the case.

One can therefore reasonably assume that you were at, or extremely close to what you probably believed was the 10B range. Your reluctance to confirm the route also suggests strongly that this may be the case - I'm sure we'd all like to know the facts.

Yes, we would like to know the facts. But for some reason the information about the route taken is being guarded as if it were a state secret.

I do often test the fare system by paying 10 and only paying 20 if they balk. Not risky as long as you do respond to a balk. Long ride is not defined ... we need to figure that out ourselves for runs we take. One balk is not conclusive. 5 out of 10 would be conclusive.

I do often test the fare system by paying 10 and only paying 20 if they balk. Not risky as long as you do respond to a balk. Long ride is not defined ... we need to figure that out ourselves for runs we take. One balk is not conclusive. 5 out of 10 would be conclusive.

actually there is or was a fare system. I remember an old poster detailing 5 baht, 10 baht, 15 baht and 20 baht rides.

Again I fully understand the motivation and anger of the driver and his belief that I underpaid him. I also accept blame for not responding to his balk. Those who say that was time to negotiate are bonkers -- the only two choices were pay more or not. I made the wrong choice However it should concern that there are such violent men driving these trucks. This guy has clearly attacked riders before and will again. He shouldn't be on the road

RIde the songtaews long enough and you will experience some pretty obnoxioux unprovoked aggression from a driver.

I have witnessed unprovoked violence over misunderstandings and i have also had some nasty experiences with drivers for no reason whatsoever.

Many are on short fuses so it doesnt take very much for them to blow up and a misunderstanding might be all it takes.

Posters here always looking for reasons for why a Thai reacted in a violent manner may find out the hard way some day that sometimes they dont need a reason at allfacepalm.gif

• Like 1

What happened to a proper bus system in Pattaya I seem to remember hearing about? These baht bus thugs in Pattaya are a rip off to start with. For 20 baht in bkk you could go from pratunam to pram 2 on the expressway in a nice air con bus, and things are meant to be cheaper in Pattaya! Life and respect certainly seems to be.

Exactly Tolley there are some very mad and sometimes you can tell just by their driving style. But in this case again I made a mistake and suggest others learn from it. Really testing paying 10 is very safe I can assure you but not responding to a balk is quitw ... dangerous.