Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

A baht bus driver violently attacked me in full view of several witnesses and then just drove off. He seemed oblivious of any possible consequences of his action. As there was no serious injury and my expectation that not only nothing would happen to him and indeed a fear of blowback upon myself I did not report this even though I have his truck number. Yes his motivation was a fare dispute but does that actually give these drivers a pass to attack people? His blows were forceful and could have caused serious injury but I guesd I am lucky that they didn't.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I refuse to discuss the trivial details of thr fare dispute. The only relevance it has I think is that IF he was arrested he would say he was justified. That's the issue I am raising here. Can these drivers always be a violent law to themselves when they have such excuses?

• Like 2

The answer to your question is, yes they can be a violent law unto themselves. I think most people have heard enough and read enough stories about them to realise that. I was king-hit by a turd with legs for having the audacity to park my motorcycle on a public strip of road claimed by the baht buses as their private domain (where I parked was empty and had enough room for six buses). But it was the arrogant way in which he did it - whack!! smacked from behind, glasses flying 10 feet, and him screaming at me to move my bike and then sauntering away as if he did this 10 times every morning before breakfast. Everyone around me just turned away (as no doubt I would have done - who wants to mess with these nasty, scumbag f*ckers?).

• Like 2

Note that at the time of the attack I did look for a cop but there was none. Not confident that catching him then would be a positive experience. I can imagine the cops saying it was my fault. Not questioning the driver believed he was right in the fare dispute ... am questioning how that justifies violence. If he really wanted to bully money out of me he could have just threatened to bash me and I would have quickly caved. This thug seemed to get pleasure from the violence more than money.

Sorry for your upsetting incident.

TIT

Weak rule of law leaves a gap which is filled by thuggery. This is well-known. If it is any consolation, it is much worse in Phuket.

There is a chain of command that offers protection from the law for these drivers. If you know who is above him, you could speak to them or you could try the police, try city hall or try the press. I don't know what good it would do.

There might be a clue here in how not to be seriously hurt if attacked by transport thugs. As I am not young or fit or a fast runner I did not resist the attacks. Now imagine if I had and hurt him. Then for sure he would have been aided by fellow transport types as we reas about in the news so often when victims are beaten to a pulp by instant mobs. This was of course not a planned tactic and if you have fighting skills it would be hard to not use them but I still think there is a clue here.

• Like 1

Unless you know someone higher up in the brown uniforms than he does, nothing will come of it. If it's anything like in Phuket, these guys do pay a "fee" to the bibs every month which gives them protection and what they feel is the right to be a thug and not suffer any consequences.

• Like 1

You have the worse luck with baht busses JT. Armed bodyguard or chauffeur perhaps? biggrin.png

Sorry for your encounter as I know it can leave one quite stressed.

Strangely I have never been accosted by a Baht Bus driver, nor have I ever been 86'd/banned from an eating establishment ....

I have many things left on my bucket list but if I add those 2 they will only just make it to the list above "have bladder stones!"

• Like 2

There might be a clue here in how not to be seriously hurt if attacked by transport thugs. As I am not young or fit or a fast runner I did not resist the attacks. Now imagine if I had and hurt him. Then for sure he would have been aided by fellow transport types as we reas about in the news so often when victims are beaten to a pulp by instant mobs. This was of course not a planned tactic and if you have fighting skills it would be hard to not use them but I still think there is a clue here.

Sorry to hear about this. You must feel angry.

You did well with your non-violent approach. Yes the clue is there to detect early enough the warning signs and step out of reach.

Take care and get some rest.

I refuse to discuss the trivial details of thr fare dispute. The only relevance it has I think is that IF he was arrested he would say he was justified. That's the issue I am raising here. Can these drivers always be a violent law to themselves when they have such excuses?

I feel sure that physical assault can not be justified over a baht bus fare dispute.

But, you will only find out if you report the incident to the police.

Without knowing what caused the dispute the driver cant be judged and accused of being above the law.

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Without the law being brought into it the driver cannot be accused of being above the law.

and JT I do not THINK I have ever been date raped, but generally I am willing if I went out on a date :) I have never been gored by a bull though, of that I am sure!

If I were the age I was when I moved here I would add Pamplona to the bucket list though! Getting smacked over a fare dispute on a baht bus, or 86'd from an buffet would still rate lower than the colonoscopy I had, when it comes to a bucket list.

Bad things do happen to good people ....... just not that often unless your name is Job.

• Like 2