Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

Are they above the law?

Yeah pretty much. These thugs feel protected and hold the view that their patron is of higher status than yours. For the most part, its correct...

The driver that assaulted JJ has probably done it before and will most certainly do it again- because he can and he faces no downside.

I walked a lot to avoid dealing with baht bus drivers; then I bought a motorbike. That was great until the bike was stolen. I thought about my options and decided to vote with my feet and leave Pattaya.

Not the solution for every one but it works for me :)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless you know someone higher up in the brown uniforms than he does, nothing will come of it. If it's anything like in Phuket, these guys do pay a "fee" to the bibs every month which gives them protection and what they feel is the right to be a thug and not suffer any consequences.

Their 'monthly fees' also apparently allow them to have 'taxi ranks' on red/white marked i.e. No Parking, stretches of road??!!!

Some people encounter problems on a regular basis in their daily life, wherever in the world they may choose to live.

Others can go decades without a car accident, becoming involved in a fight, not becoming sick, etc.

Ask yourself is it just blind luck or are there other factors? I would suggest to the OP that you start exercising and dieting effective today. You will find that slim, nicely dressed people are much more accepted in society and given the benefit of the doubt. People of your dimensions will always be treated rudely, as you have experienced multiple times.

Many studies have demonstrated this, particularly when it comes to pretty vs. ugly women. Better looking guys are more successful in life.

Only other issue was when I jumped on one in Jomtien and got off in Soi 4 in Pattaya. He wanted 20 baht. I figured that was fair go since I rode a long ways and paid that.

20B is indeed the correct fare for that trip. The same 20B also takes you as far as Naklua.

I have been riding bahtbuses here for over 35 years and have never had any issues at all. Never paid more than the correct fare either.

I agree. My wife and I have used baht buses often - not every day, but close to it - and never had a problem at all.

are we ever going to learn where this baht bus ride was from and where to, just to rule out the possibility that it was an unusually long ride.

im getting pretty sick of this question being ignored by the OP, i've asked politely 3 times, so have others.

I think not. smile.png

So it was a 10bht ''rip off'' PLUS something you will not discuss.

Perhaps the 10 bht top up is to do with the something you will not reveal ?

transam,

One of us here was beat up in the middle of a day in Pattaya. Yet you attempt light humour about how small was the amount, that almost sent one of our guys to a hospital.

What difference is there, if the assault took place over 10 baht, or 10.000 baht, it is still extortion.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Cos ANYONE not up for a scrap over 10 bht is daft to risk it, hand over the 10 bht and live another day.

For 10,000 bht it might be worth the risk.

10 bht....naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah......laugh.png

PS.......I/we know the OP does get into a few scrapes..........whistling.gif

• Like 1

are we ever going to learn where this baht bus ride was from and where to, just to rule out the possibility that it was an unusually long ride.

I think that JT is experienced enough with Pattaya bahtbuses to know where the fare boundaries are. That said, I am also wondering whether this particular ride didnt end somewhere near Central, which is very close to the boundary.

Cos ANYONE not up for a scrap over 10 bht is daft to risk it, hand over the 10 bht and live another day.

No, that's just accepting extortion which is unacceptable in principle regardless of the sum involved.

So you would get into a scrap, possible BiB involvement with a bus driver who has a zillion ''Thai'' witnesses over TEN <deleted> baht...........cheesy.gif

Gawd 'elp us. facepalm.gif

im getting pretty sick of this question being ignored by the OP, i've asked politely 3 times, so have others.

I think not. smile.png

a secret which can't be revealed tongue.png

No, that's just accepting extortion which is unacceptable in principle regardless of the sum involved.

So you would get into a scrap, possible BiB involvement with a bus driver who has a zillion ''Thai'' witnesses over TEN <deleted> baht...........cheesy.gif

Gawd 'elp us. facepalm.gif

i suggest that JT buys a V8 and then rules over any bahtbus driver crazy.gif

• Like 1

Lets be clear. I would not have been attacked if I had responded to the driver's demand to pay 20 instead of the 10 I did pay him. That was obviously a mistake on my part but doesn't justify violence. My advice which remains the same before and after this is that the standard bus fare is 10 baht, do not speak to the driver before boarding or you risk being confused with a charter, and you will be OK initially paying 10 baht but don't hesitate to respond to that being rejected by paying 20. Happy riding!

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How on earth do you keep getting into trouble ? sad.png

Oh c'mon.. a quick read through his previous topics/posts will answer that question...

totster smile.png

What? All 46,000 of them......it'll be more than a quick read!tongue.png

I will not reveal the specific route in the incident. The reason is because this thread is specifically about the violence issue. It is not about any change in the fare structure. There is NO such change. In the context of the topic of this thread it wouldn't matter if the ride was from far south Jomtien to Naklua market. The violence would still not be justified.

• Like 1

To add don't even bother to ask again for the specific route. I do need to cave to baht bus bullies but not to forum bullies unless you can figure how to punch me through your computer.

Also note homophobia has nothing to do with this incident. There is homophibia on the buses almost entirely from some passengers. In any case a separate topic entirely.

Yes some are thugs but I did make a mistake by not following what I already knew, that having any conflict with a driver risks violence. Now that lesson has been beat into me so yes the thug won. First time I've been assaulted since junior high school -- maybe I live a sheltered life.

To add don't even bother to ask again for the specific route. I do need to cave to baht bus bullies but not to forum bullies unless you can figure how to punch me through your computer.

Also note homophobia has nothing to do with this incident. There is homophibia on the buses almost entirely from some passengers. In any case a separate topic entirely.

First, nobody on this thread is bullying you. Second, we all find violent assault of this kind disgusting.

But we also all know that many of the everyday thais we deals with in pattaya, the taxi drivers, vendors, bar staff, security types etc etc are as vile as they come even for humans, devoid of any shred of decency. As far as the taxi drivers specifically are concerned, turds on legs as one poster so aptly put it, they are the most rabidly violent of them all and in almost any other country would either have been jailed or beaten to death for carrying on as they do.

Thats exactly why we all want to know the route, because like street dogs, as long as you play by the street dog rules there is rarely a problem. I am beginning to suspect you got on at jomtien and got off way beyond the 10 baht boundary, maybe even north pattaya. If so then you broke the rules and the wild psychotic dog did what wild psychotic dogs do. If not then either he was just a one off crazier than the normal crazy version or this is the cusp of an attempt by the baht bus drivers to raise the price for falang.

So why don't you tell us the route? Are you hiding something?

• Like 1

6 pages JT-I wonder where this will all end-there is allways two sides to every story so I wonder what the driver has to say?

just asking?

Don't be so daft. The driver would say I failed to pay the full fare so deserved a beating. DUH!

Not ridiculous at all. The asault happened because I refused to pay the higher fare and the driver was a thug. I was wrong not to cave but the violence was 100 times more wrong.

Well, as long as you don't reveal your route, we only got your word for the normal price being 10 baht and not 20 baht.

I guess the route was something like Pattaya Beach Road to Jomtien around soi Chayapruek or Jomtien Chayapruek to Pattaya second road, maybe even after Pattaya Klang.

But I do see that your point is the violence and not the fare dispute in itself.

If I think about it, I wonder what other means the driver had to make his point... to hold you until a cop is called in? Very unlikely since he probably had other passengers to deliver.

Violence is bad, but usually it erupts when one party sees no other way to solve the situation or vent anger.

As long as the frequence is rare and there are no serious injuries, I tend to consider it as a price to pay for the simplicity, cheapness and ease of transport around Patts, which is only made possible by employing such people as drivers.

Because avoiding violence at all costs would mean ticket selling, minimum wage for drivers, driver training, abandon the freelance business model, higher prices... 30 baht instead of 10 probably. Not sure I want to go that route.

Edited by manarak

6 pages JT-I wonder where this will all end-there is allways two sides to every story so I wonder what the driver has to say?

just asking?

Don't be so daft. The driver would say I failed to pay the full fare so deserved a beating. DUH!

Daft? no all we have is YOUR side of the story JT-where the truth lies in this pitifull storyline know one knows-provocation/verbal abuse what issues caused this in the first instance- maybe Mr Somchai has a different version?

WHO KNOWS

• Like 1

Good question what could the driver do. No time to call the police and time not moving is money. In this case as he left his truck he could grabbed me by the arm and said you pay more now. At that point I reckon he would "deserve" an extra 20 for his trouble. Better outcome for all with no violence.

Because of the numerous blanks or grey areas in the story that you are not prepared to discuss I was thinking about what you wrote in post-53

“ Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away.”

Perhaps he interpreted your gesture of walking away as “ take it or leave it “ whereas if you had just spent a few extra seconds explaining where you had got on and why he was asking you to pay more now than what you normally pay he may have backed off? There must have been something in the attitude you conveyed to him that set him off.