Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again the lesson here for myself and all is pay what is demanded no matter wrong or right or risk being assaulted.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am surprised this first occur to you now JT, I think you had problems with bath bus drivers before, yes?

I also read about the guy who got beaten in the head with an iron bar in a dispute over a bar bill.

Another one I read about was a British man on Phuket that got severely injured (also by an iron bar) over a dispute over work done on his house, I hope he survived, think he was in a coma.

Just pay man, it's not worth it and since you didn't really got hurt (pride only) then you have to consider if you will complain at the police station and look over your shoulder the next 3 month or stop using the bath buses all together. The taxa people here are mafia which we all know and they will always stick together and they might retaliate since you live here and are not a tourist and can leave tomorrow if needed.

I only use the motor bike taxa's now and again (when out drinking with friends downtown) and here you have the advantage that you agree on a price before you go and I never had any problems and they drive me straight to the gate of my house.

Paying 20 baht for going over the hill Pattaya/Jomtien is cheap as chips compared to the rest of the world (and Phuket).

Nobody helped. It was very quick. I do know so called tourist police here always so pay what's demanded and part of the reason I posted was to reinforce that. Brute force rules here.

If you ride the baht buses often enough, and attempt always to pay the correct fare, you WILL get into altercations with the drivers.

I recall one poster saying here that after he started carrying a baseball bat he had no further problems.

Well, it didn't take me long to see that baht bus drivers and I were not going to be able to coexist peacefully, so I bought a motorbike. One of my most brilliant decisions. Now I just have to watch out lest a baht bus wreck my bike.

I still have frequent disputes with them about whether I can occupy my space in my lane. I enjoy blowing my horn at them. Bought a loud one for the purpose. smile.png

I still say you should report the incident.

Somebody carries a baseball bat around with them? That has to be one of the wilder claims I have heard on this forum.

Having never gotten into trouble in the 20 years I have lived in Thailand, I can only assume that I have been very lucky...however, I do have a friend that has been beaten up many, many times, and not only in Thailand, but then he is an irritating drinker.

• Like 1

I realize there are some mean spirited people here and Thai apologists who are quick to blame the victim but sorry I was violently attacked and there is NO excuse for that.

Nothing of the sort and glad you are okay, if not a little shaken.

We can make light of the situation in these circumstances, can't we?

Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away.

I suggest this was nothing to do with the fare, but rather the drivers reaction to your seemingly awful Thai !

totster biggrin.png

Or it could of been Jings body language that the driver didn't like.....giggle.gif

Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away.

I suggest this was nothing to do with the fare, but rather the drivers reaction to your seemingly awful Thai !

totster biggrin.png

Or it could of been Jings body language that the driver didn't like.....giggle.gif

Or ''make up''...................whistling.gif ..................w00t.gif

I never knew he wore it, or are you just making that up....tongue.png

Maybe it's time to move this to pub 555

Edited by MB1

Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away. Then he left his truck and ran towards me striking me multiple times. Yes of course I should have paid 20 on demand and I usually would have because anytime you get into a dispute with a driver you risk violence. That's all the details I will give. I realize there are some mean spirited people here and Thai apologists who are quick to blame the victim but sorry I was violently attacked and there is NO excuse for that.

Sorry again that you were assaulted. As far as I am concerned the normal fare would be 10 baht so I am surprised he demanded 20. I remember years ago when 5 baht was the Thai price but the drivers started demanding 10 baht from falang. i hope this is not the equivalent, where they have just decided that falang now pay 20.

Was this an unusually long ride, like from Jomtien to Northern Pattaya along second road?

He understood perfectly that I was refusing to pay 20 baht instead of 10. This being high season being an expat is probably less welcome with so many naive tourists to milk. Thinking back there were a few clues that he was a crazy one. He failed to fully stop when I boarded and was driving erratically. Not very unusual but something.

• Like 1

I am currently banned from zero restaurants but decided to boycott one place where a hotheaded Thai manager warned me he would ban me if I ever had a consumer comment on the food there again. To that I said FINE and he looked shocked as I had been a long time regular.

This isn't meant to offend anyone as I don't really know many people on TV in real however I have a friend here now living in Pattaya and working on Leam Chabang & Chonburi. He is a newbie to thailand and rather large. He is not huge but to big for me to pack him on my bike so last week I talked to MOTORBIKE TAXI AND HAD HIM TAKE MY BUDDY to Lotus and I know it is a 40 baht fee however he charged my buddy 50 baht and when we both stopped I kindly asked the taxi dude why 50 baht and he told me because of his size. Not that it mattered and of course by buddy didn'r care what it costs as that is peanuts to him but I was surprized and at the same time kinda understood.

He understood perfectly that I was refusing to pay 20 baht instead of 10. This being high season being an expat is probably less welcome with so many naive tourists to milk. Thinking back there were a few clues that he was a crazy one. He failed to fully stop when I boarded and was driving erratically. Not very unusual but something.

How would he know if you were a Expat or a tourist?