PeterSmiles

Anyone fancy to sign up for a 1 year membership at Universe Gym opposite Soi siam country club on Sukhumvit.

Single person is 4000 Baht a year, but if sign up with two it's only 3000 Baht a year each, so 25% discount. No need to go exercise at the same time, just a one time meet up to pay the membership.

Anyone interested please PM me. I tend to sign up Thursday evening or at the latest Friday morning.

Anyone fancy to sign up for a 1 year membership at Universe Gym opposite Soi siam country club on Sukhumvit.

Single person is 4000 Baht a year, but if sign up with two it's only 3000 Baht a year each, so 25% discount. No need to go exercise at the same time, just a one time meet up to pay the membership.

Anyone interested please PM me. I tend to sign up Thursday evening or at the latest Friday morning.

Wow that's pretty cheap...some sorta going out of business sale or something?

• Like 1

I always surmise these Places survive by Guys signing up with the best intentions, but lapsing after a month and giving up.

People might assume its packed out at those prices but I bet far from it in reality

I always surmise these Places survive by Guys signing up with the best intentions, but lapsing after a month and giving up.

People might assume its packed out at those prices but I bet far from it in reality

I have regularly visited a gym in my homecountry and Thailand for the past 25 years, so don't think I will give up after a month.

And no the place isn't packed, at least not the few times i took a day pass, but it's also not the fancy place Cawow was when I had a membership there.

But after all, I found out that the dumbbells and barbells have the same weight as the ones in the gyms that cost 10 times the membership of universe, and they give exact the same results.

A/C?

They have Aircon I noticed, and they have fans everywhere as well, but you don't expect a California or Fitness first for 3000 Baht a year do you.

If they have air conditioning then I will check it out. Many years ago I used their old Beach Rd. location.

How would that work exactly? I mean, the gym has to open he doors and pay whatever staff they have and the utility bills whether a member shows up or not. They don't save or make any extra money either way. I can understand a gym "over-selling" memberships to the point where the m would be overcrowded if most of the members showed up regularly and counting on a large percentage to drop off after a few weeks or months.

A/C?

They have Aircon I noticed, and they have fans everywhere as well, but you don't expect a California or Fitness first for 3000 Baht a year do you.

If they have air conditioning then I will check it out. Many years ago I used their old Beach Rd. location.

I go to this place, they do have air con but it isn't cold in there, can barely feel it. Most of the equipment is old, maybe the same standard as tony's places, but overall it is decent value IMO.

I believe they only have air con in one relatively small room, which not surprisingly tends to be overcrowded first (in the evenings, more so during tourist season). That room does have free weights and some machines. In the larger area, there are fans.

I believe they only have air con in one relatively small room, which not surprisingly tends to be overcrowded first (in the evenings, more so during tourist season). That room does have free weights and some machines. In the larger area, there are fans.

You believe wrongly. It's just that the aircon in the side room is more pronounced, because it is...smaller. :) The main room has a mix of aircon and fans, though the aircon may be situated close the the squat rack.

You believe wrongly. It's just that the aircon in the side room is more pronounced, because it is...smaller. smile.png The main room has a mix of aircon and fans, though the aircon may be situated close the the squat rack.

If you take a look at the Youtube I posted, you will notice that in the main room are at least 4 large airconditioners.

2 are mounted on the wall that you face when you walk up the stairs, 1 is mounted near the squat rack and one near the leg press at the entrance of the small room with the cardio mchines.

There is me thinking that a Couple actually meant a pairing in perhaps a relationship, rather than two random males. smile.png

I asked for that and was confirmed that a friend would count as a couple.

Offer is still valid till Saturday noon time, as something came between and hadn't time to visit today.

You believe wrongly. It's just that the aircon in the side room is more pronounced, because it is...smaller. smile.png The main room has a mix of aircon and fans, though the aircon may be situated close the the squat rack.

If you take a look at the Youtube I posted, you will notice that in the main room are at least 4 large airconditioners.

2 are mounted on the wall that you face when you walk up the stairs, 1 is mounted near the squat rack and one near the leg press at the entrance of the small room with the cardio mchines.

I haven't been there in a long time, but a friend of mine I talked to today who happens to go there regularly wasn't even aware of the other air conditioners--and told me only the smaller room was air conditioned.

So to at least one regular it seems not very noticeable in the main room. YMMV. I do think the gym is good value for the money anyway though.

Edited by JSixpack

I haven't been there in a long time, but a friend of mine I talked to today who happens to go there regularly wasn't even aware of the other air conditioners--and told me only the smaller room was air conditioned.

So to at least one regular it seems not very noticeable in the main room. YMMV. I do think the gym is good value for the money anyway though.

Did you see this in my post ?

If you take a look at the Youtube I posted .

The aircons in the main room are clearly visible in the Youtube.I doubt they just hung them there to make the recording

The aircons in the main room are clearly visible in the Youtube.I doubt they just hung them there to make the recording

Duh. You've missed the point as usual.

Having a physical air conditioner sitting on a wall, hence your youtube vid, doesn't mean shit, pal. It may not have the capacity to cool the room adequately or may be dialed down or may not even be turned on. (I think most of us know exactly what that means.) Whatever, my friend who has been member for years says it doesn't feel like there's air con in the larger room and feels hot while exercising there--but not in the small room. Now, maybe this won't be YOUR case with your active imagination. Maybe YOU can look up at the aircon unit and tell yourself "Ahhh, I'm all nice 'n cool 'cause I must be, wow, I'm seein' a unit right there!" Great, go for it. smile.png But I thought you're Mr. Skeptic; here you see just a video and you roll over and beg. wink.png

I'll rely on a long-term and present member who has used and does use the full range of the facilities, daytime or evenings, all seasons, all conditions, to guide me about the temps in there, thank you--if I cared one way or the other.

Edited by JSixpack

Duh. You've missed the point as usual.

Having a physical air conditioner sitting on a wall, hence your youtube vid, doesn't mean shit, pal. It may not have the capacity to cool the room adequately or may be dialed down or may not even be turned on. (I think most of us know exactly what that means.) Whatever, my friend who has been member for years says it doesn't feel like there's air con in the larger room and feels hot while exercising there--but not in the small room. Now, maybe this won't be YOUR case with your active imagination. Maybe YOU can look up at the aircon unit and tell yourself "Ahhh, I'm all nice 'n cool 'cause I must be, wow, I'm seein' a unit right there!" Great, go for it. smile.png But I thought you're Mr. Skeptic around here. wink.png

I'll rely on a long-term and present member who has used and does use the full range of the facilities, daytime or evenings, all seasons, all conditions, to guide me about the temps in there, thank you.

I must have missed the point indeed where someone asked in this thread how good the aircons function or how cool they feel, which brand they are and how many BTU.

What was asked was if there is aircon, and I confirmed to them and posted a clip where the aircons units are visible. Of course, someone who is always looking for an argument, just to make others believe he's knowledgeable about everything, may start to claim it are dummy units or whatever.

I think I've told you previously, go argue a bit afternoon on Soi Bhua Koaw in your favorite bar behind a few 35 Baht Chang beers, because that is the only place where you can make yourself look important and knowledgeable. Here everyone know you already for what you are.

I must have missed the point indeed where someone asked in this thread how good the aircons function or how cool they feel, which brand they are and how many BTU.

No, just the point that the purpose of an air conditioner is, believe it or not, to cool the room.

Yet Pattaya Pat agrees:

they do have air con but it isn't cold in there, can barely feel it.

And Jiu-Jitsu confirms in the larger room the aircon may only be felt in a small area:

The main room has a mix of aircon and fans, though the aircon may be situated close the the squat rack.

Few members are going to spend all their time close to the squat rack.

What was asked was if there is aircon, and I confirmed to them

And IT is nice to know that units are visible. Very nice. You done good there, and can give yourself a big pat on the back. Greatly increase the aesthetics of the room, they do. I love looking at an aircon unit myself.

But me, I figured any potential members might, for some reason you can't quite fathom, have a further interest in whether the units actually work or not to cool the gym.

And the evidence is that they don't much in the larger room. ThaiBob may well wish to know that and confirm for himself before he joins, if it's important to him as he implied.

Cheers! biggrin.png

Edited by JSixpack

It should be fairly obvious, even without ever visiting the gym, that they could not provide a cool, airconditioned training environment for members at 3000 - 4000 baht per year. Can you imagine the cost of cooling such a large gym.... even by a few degrees.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I pray it doesnt fold, last thing we want is another 10000 posts like Cal Wow with posters telling everybody howmany kilo they can life, how much they sweat in an hour, their heart rate etc etc.

No need to worry. Universe Gym has been around forever and the reason is that it's pretty good at what it does, for a reasonable price. I even remember when it was on Beach Road. It's survived some very lean years, esp after moving to its present location--not so convenient. But business seems really good now. Russians have made strong contribution. smile.png

Your average CWOW customer and UG customer represent a different demographic, and that may part of the reason we had so many narcissistic posts from CWOWers. CWOW had a very different business model (we might call it the "gym disco" model)--now a failed model. wink.png

Edited by JSixpack

I pray it doesnt fold, last thing we want is another 10000 posts like Cal Wow with posters telling everybody howmany kilo they can life, how much they sweat in an hour, their heart rate etc etc.

No need to worry. Universe Gym has been around forever and the reason is that it's pretty good at what it does, for a reasonable price. I even remember when it was on Beach Road. It's survived some very lean years, esp after moving to its present location--not so convenient. But business seems really good now. Russians have made strong contribution. smile.png

Your average CWOW customer and UG customer represent a different demographic, and that may part of the reason we had so many narcissistic posts from CWOWers. CWOW had a very different business model--now a failed model. wink.png

Not so convenient location ? You mileage may vary, for people living outside the Pattaya ghetto, it is the most convenient location there is. Right on the major road outside the city.

As for Cawow, I don't think it was a failed business model, taking in account the amount of money they collected every day with their " life time " memberships.

The problem with Cawow was that it was a scam and someone was sending the money out of the country instead of paying his bills.

Not so convenient location ? You mileage may vary, for people living outside the Pattaya ghetto, it is the most convenient location there is. Right on the major road outside the city.

Well, dear PeterSmiles, that's why I said "not SO convenient," referring to the entire area of Pattaya and in particular the population-dense brightside where the main concentration, esp the vast number of tourists, is located.

For every possible location, somebody will find it convenient, duh. People live in the sois quite near UG, same side of Suk. And what about the business employees living in the same complex? For them, the location is just perfect! smile.png

Those for whom the present location is convenient don't need you to tell them so.

As for Cawow, I don't think it was a failed business model, taking in account the amount of money they collected every day with their " life time " memberships.

The problem with Cawow was that it was a scam and someone was sending the money out of the country instead of paying his bills.

Some would argue about this. I won't bother. But if so the scam was built into the business model and then that part of the business model caused it to fail. It doesn't matter.

Duh. Hope you enjoyed another of your little nitpicks.

Next.

Edited by JSixpack