confused : visa excemption rule or tourist visa needed ?

Im confused on below, whether "30 DAYS UNDER THE “VISA EXEMPTION RULE" can be extended, my questions are below

Thailand Visa is not required for Canadian citizens who wish to come to Thailand.

Canadian citizens can stay up to 30 DAYS UNDER THE “VISA EXEMPTION RULE” if entering via international airport and entering through a land border checkpoint from a neighboring country. Travelers must be in possession of a confirmed travel itinerary and proof of funds.

Canadian citizens who wish to visit Thailand for more than 30 days can apply for a Thailand visa depending on the purpose of visit.

TOURIST VISA- This visa is issued to applicants who wish to visit Thailand for tourism purposes. It is valid for 3 to 6 months and permission to stay up to 60 days per entry. It can be extended for another 30 days at the immigration office in Thailand.

------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I plan on coming to Thailand in January and if I like it don't plan on coming back.....I am Canadian.

I have friends in Thailand whom can get me a job but initially I plan on visiting holistic temple etc.

My questions:

1) can the I apply for the Tourist Visa ( or can I only get the 30 day visa exemption )upon arrival or do I have to beforehand ?

2) The visa exemption rule, can that be extended or changed to a work or school visa prior to expiring ?

thank you so much, and tips and advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Entering by visa exemption gets thirty days which can be extended by seven days at a cost of 19oo Baht.

Your other choices revolve around tourist visas and / or ED visas

Planning to not return home requires a lot of thought as to how you might achieve that aim .

Have a look at the Canadian Thai Embassy web site

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en

Then consider your options

• Like 1

Entering by visa exemption gets thirty days which can be extended by seven days at a cost of 19oo Baht.

Your other choices revolve around tourist visas and / or ED visas

Planning to not return home requires a lot of thought as to how you might achieve that aim .

Have a look at the Canadian Thai Embassy web site

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en

Then consider your options

thank you so much Sceptict :)

can a person upgrade from visa exemption to ED or work Visa once settled ?

You plan to hop on an aeroplane to Thailand, not knowing whether you will stay for only 30 days or for the rest of your life. Presumably, therefore, you will not have a confirmed flight out of Thailand within 30 days from your arrival. My advice for this situation is to get a tourist visa valid for at least one entry, if you like even for two or three entries. You apply for this visa at a Thai consulate in your country.

• Like 1

If you come without a visa, you need to have a ticket exiting Thailand with 30 days of your departure. The Airline that you are using might not let you board the flight without one. With a "visa exempt" entry you get 30 days permission to stay which can only be extended for 7 days, cost 1900 baht. If you stay longer you will have to do border runs or go to a neighboring country and get a tourist visa'

Your best option is to get a tourist visa before you leave, They are issued with either 1, 2, or 3 entries and cost $40 per entry. On each entry you will get 60 days permission to stay which can be extended for 30 days, cost 1900 baht. With a triple entry tourist visa, if used correctly, you can get almost 270 days with 2 border runs and 3 extensions. With a visa, a return ticket is not required by the airline, but it might be required by the Embassy/Consulate that issues your visa. You should check directly with them via phone.email to determine exactly what they require before you apply.

• Like 1

If you come without a visa, you need to have a ticket exiting Thailand with 30 days of your departure. The Airline that you are using might not let you board the flight without one. With a "visa exempt" entry you get 30 days permission to stay which can only be extended for 7 days, cost 1900 baht. If you stay longer you will have to do border runs or go to a neighboring country and get a tourist visa'

Your best option is to get a tourist visa before you leave, They are issued with either 1, 2, or 3 entries and cost $40 per entry. On each entry you will get 60 days permission to stay which can be extended for 30 days, cost 1900 baht. With a triple entry tourist visa, if used correctly, you can get almost 270 days with 2 border runs and 3 extensions. With a visa, a return ticket is not required by the airline, but it might be required by the Embassy/Consulate that issues your visa. You should check directly with them via phone.email to determine exactly what they require before you apply.

thank you very much wayned :) I will go this route......thank you for all the information :)