Anti-government protests: Decision may be 'up to Thai Army'

webfact

Decision may be 'up to Army'
HATAIKARN TREESUWAN
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- A JUNIOR coalition party leader, who asked not to be named, said yesterday that the final decision on what happens with the disturbance and how it is brought to an end might end up being in the hands of the military.

"The Army cannot allow a people's revolution because nobody can control it if it happens. We can't have something like the French Revolution," he said.

He went on to say that the most important mission for the military could be to end the bloodshed and pave the way for amendments to the charter, adding that the current conflict could be put down to different legal interpretations of the Constitution, which was leading to a deadlock.

Besides, he said, things were getting tougher, with the red shirts ready to oppose anything that can be seen as a move to overthrow the government.

He also said he admired Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for the way she handled the tense situation between the protesters and the police. He said ordering the police to let the protesters march into Government House and the Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) on Tuesday was a great strategy on her part.

"This was a perfect solution which avoided the loss of lives. Her command took the power out of the protesters. This would not happen if former PM Thaksin Shinawatra was handling the situation," the politician said.

Yet, protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban wants to invoke the Constitution's Article 7, which would lead to the installation of a royally appointed prime minister. This move would most definitely result in violence, the source said.

"Article 7 cannot be implemented under a normal situation, which means Suthep will only achieve his goal if there is a political riot. Once he decides to become a street fighter, he cannot rest until he wins," the source said.

Separately, former PM and Chart Thai Pattana Party's chief adviser Banharn Silapa-archa led 14 former Chart Thai executives to apply for Chart Thai Pattana Party membership as their five-year political ban expired on Monday. Banharn, who was a coordinator for the government's political-reform forum, said he would not take part in mediations to solve the current conflicts as nobody would listen to him.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-05

Actually if they can again shut down the airport between the 6 and let say 27 december,

for some personal reason that will help me and make me pleasure a lot

for sure that will help to improve democracy in Thailand

hope you hear me khun Santa Suthep,

jing-jing, do it, you are my our last hope!

wishing list done

Decision may be 'up to Army' = C*********

WPFflags.gif WPFflags.gif WPFflags.gif

"We can't have something like the French Revolution," .... or in other words, "We don't care what the people think, only me me me, high status face first serves me me me

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

No way it was actually Yingluck's idea. BS.

And a clever move it was too. What can the army do? Suthep wants them to back him, but the military knows there will be a much deeper and bloodier conflict and no guarantee that they will be able to control all of their forces if they side with Suthep. They want to avoid that. They say they have learnt the lesson from the last coup, if that is true then ousting the present elected government is out of the question. So far, at least, the government have said they will not use the army against Suthep's mob. Neutrality seems to be the best option for the army.

• Like 2

"We can't have something like the French Revolution,"

Why not?

And the average Thai is asking " where France ? "'

They should know about France as they (with the British) - the French were much more hostile BTW, in attempting to grab land in Thailand during the rein of King Rama V.

• Like 1

Why not?

They should know about France as they (with the British) - the French were much more hostile BTW, in attempting to grab land in Thailand during the rein of King Rama V.

You are right about what they ' should know ' but it isn't always appropriate here. Thai ' education ' isn't in the least comprehensive and that includes theror own country.

• Like 1

Why not?

You are right about what they ' should know ' but it isn't always appropriate here. Thai ' education ' isn't in the least comprehensive and that includes theror own country.

They are rightly proud of their having never been colonised and I can assure you that (certainly with the older Thai's) that they are fully versed on this and everything to do with King Rama V as he, along with the current King Rama IX are by far the most important kings in Thai history!!

Admittedly, this might not be the case nowadays as education has clearly deteriorated over the years throughout the world as we have created numbskulls interested in cell phones, tablets, computer games and pretty well much nothing else.

I too seriously doubt it was YL who originally conceived of the government's action to open the gates to the protesters at the MPB and Government House. She's not really the type for originating such strategem.

Whether her brother would have agreed to that in similar circumstances is an interesting question. Normally no, of course. But in this instance, at the time on the eve of the King's birthday, I think a different set of priorities came into play...at least for a day or two.

I too seriously doubt it was YL who originally conceived of the government's action to open the gates to the protesters at the MPB and Government House. She's not really the type for originating such strategem.

Whether her brother would have agreed to that in similar circumstances is an interesting question. Normally no, of course. But in this instance, at the time on the eve of the King's birthday, I think a different set of priorities came into play...at least for a day or two.

In what was quite a clever move, I imagine that it was the leader of the army who instructed this as no one in the government is very clever (least of all YL) and it would definitely not be (I cannot concede anything) Thaksin!!

• Like 1

Actually if they can again shut down the airport between the 6 and let say 27 december,

for some personal reason that will help me and make me pleasure a lot

for sure that will help to improve democracy in Thailand

hope you hear me khun Santa Suthep,

jing-jing, do it, you are my our last hope!

wishing list done

If you want to stay in Thailand longer just change your return flight, Just make sure you have a valid visa! Demo's don't excuse expired visas! cheesy.gif

Edited by ggold

My understanding is that the Police were not facing the protesters when they, the protesters entered the Government building, The protesters only saw the army! decided not to enter the building.

What if the protesters fought with the army? That would have been treason and rebellion! Too clever for YL to come up with that idea!

As it is the arrest warrants for Suthep are BS. He might be the leader of the protest, he might have said to people not to pay taxes and to stop work in Government buildings.

But if Suthep said to all red Shirts, to take a very long walk off a short pier, and by some miracle they decide to do that, would he be guilty of Murder?

They are rightly proud of their having never been colonised and I can assure you that (certainly with the older Thai's) that they are fully versed on this and everything to do with King Rama V as he, along with the current King Rama IX are by far the most important kings in Thai history!!

Admittedly, this might not be the case nowadays as education has clearly deteriorated over the years throughout the world as we have created numbskulls interested in cell phones, tablets, computer games and pretty well much nothing else.

I will defend them they are not numbskulls in underage sex-drugs-alcohol-gambling-smoking.giggle.gif

My understanding is that the Police were not facing the protesters when they, the protesters entered the Government building, The protesters only saw the army! decided not to enter the building.

What if the protesters fought with the army? That would have been treason and rebellion! Too clever for YL to come up with that idea!

As it is the arrest warrants for Suthep are BS. He might be the leader of the protest, he might have said to people not to pay taxes and to stop work in Government buildings.

But if Suthep said to all red Shirts, to take a very long walk off a short pier, and by some miracle they decide to do that, would he be guilty of Murder?

He would be the savior if the nation.. The PTP relies heavily on their armed goons.wai2.gif

• Like 1