Thai Passport entering Laos

They even do not need passport to enter Laos!ID is enough for 3 days border pass.

Hi - I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, but when giving advice on visa issues it’s important to be absolutely precise and up-to-date with information.

ID is only sufficient if the Thai's ID was issued in a province which borders Laos. For example, Ubonites can cross into Laos at Chong Mek but a Thai with an ID card issued from Nong Khai could not.

They even do not need passport to enter Laos!ID is enough for 3 days border pass.

Hi - I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, but when giving advice on visa issues it’s important to be absolutely precise and up-to-date with information.

ID is only sufficient if the Thai's ID was issued in a province which borders Laos.  For example, Ubonites can cross into Laos at Chong Mek but a Thai with an ID card issued from Nong Khai could not.

Unless things have changed that is not factual. My wife has gotten border passes in Nong Kai and Mukdahan with her Ubon ID. Daughter and grand daughter with birth certificate in Mukdahan.
  • Like 1

ID is only sufficient if the Thai's ID was issued in a province which borders Laos. For example, Ubonites can cross into Laos at Chong Mek but a Thai with an ID card issued from Nong Khai could not.

Nope, Thai border passes for entry into Laos are available for all Thai citizens.

• Like 1

Hi - I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, but when giving advice on visa issues its important to be absolutely precise and up-to-date with information.

You are quite wrong. All they need is a national identity card from Thailand. It doesn't matter where they're from. That's absurd and makes no sense. Have done the crossing with Thais from many provinces far, far from the Lao border using their bat prachachon with no problems, ever, going back even before the 30-day crossing with passport was possible.

Edited by Ajaan

ok - stand corrected - I have read many unchallenged posting on TV claiming that the ID card needs to be issued from a boarding province

I've no first hand experience as all my Thai friends have passports

Last time I tried, what you say is true for crossing into Cambodia, but that was a few years back.

Have no idea about Malaysia, but assume it was the same as Laos. No idea about Myanmar.

Nothing is required only passport.

They can go also by ID card but have to pick up an "temporally boarding pass".

I remember this is almost free and no need picture also they copy the ID, but I don't know how long can stay with it, I guess only 3 days (not sure), but the passport issue for Thais is cheap and very quick.

Edited by Loles

• 4 weeks later...

What are the ramifications of entering Laos at Nong Khai on a border pass and exiting at another crossing such as Chong Mek? My wife had less than 6 months validity on her Thai passport and could only enter Laos on a border pass. We have flights from Vientiane to Pakse in a few days time and are ticketed to fly back to Bangkok from Ubon.

If it is a slap on the wrist and a few hundred baht fine, it is worth the risk but not if makes big problem.

I thought Thai on a Border Pass were restricted to the "immediate" area of Laos where they crossed to, such as Vientiane, but not Vang Vieng. Sorry, can't really comment on exiting from a different crossing point.

But, re her passport, if you're in Bangkok can get a new one in three days or less.

Several Threads on ThaiVisa on the subject, do a Google for: thai passport renewal bangkok

Unfortunately, tho, won't be open until Thursday. Perhaps if you plead they might do it while you wait??

Mac