Cataract surgery ,in Pattaya district ,how much ,who's good?

i claudius

Just had an exam at the pattaya eye centre and have been informed that i have cateracts ,although in one eye i couldnt tell ,i was quoted 55k baht per eye ,or more if i didnt want to use glasses again ,couple of points has anyone used this clinic ,or been to Queen Sirikit hospital ,i am off there next week ,i have also had a recomendation for Ruttkin hospital in BKK any advice would be welcome ,thanks.

Ruttinin is a lot of expensive BS. You get jerked around from one doctor to another. Each visit is always 10k. The last fool doctor there told me that surgery would not do me any good. I changed doctors and have had both eyes done and results are excellent. Always a long que. At the Bangkok Christian hospital they have a good eye doctor who does the surgery during the day in a government hospital. They quoted me 40k per eye. I moved to Chiang Rai and had it done in the government hospital at a small cost. The doctor here is great but the waiting list is 3 months.This is a common surgery and if you don't want to spend a lot of money get it done at a government hospital

• Like 1

I had both eyes done this year at Bumrungrad for 120,000. Expensive but Dr. Kittiwat did a good job despite my floppy-eye syndrome from taking Flomax for prostate treatment for many years. My recovery took much longer than it has for my friends. I'm not sure why that was but my eyes are in good shape now. I can read or watch TV as long as I want without pain. I do use Refresh Liquigel 2-3 times a day to keep the eyes moist. I'm sure that other hospitals have good outcomes too but Bumrungrad does things when YOU want them done. There's no waiting to speak of. Good luck! You'll be amazed with the beauty of colors that you haven't seen for a while and the clearness of your vision. Just make sure to always wear UV protection. Be aware too that you still may need corrective glasses after the operation since the lens that is put in has only one focal distance. There are expensive lenses that will give you more than one focal distance but I've heard that they're problematic .

• Like 1

I had both eyes done this year at Bumrungrad for 120,000. Expensive but Dr. Kittiwat did a good job despite my floppy-eye syndrome from taking Flomax for prostate treatment for many years. My recovery took much longer than it has for my friends. I'm not sure why that was but my eyes are in good shape now. I can read or watch TV as long as I want without pain. I do use Refresh Liquigel 2-3 times a day to keep the eyes moist. I'm sure that other hospitals have good outcomes too but Bumrungrad does things when YOU want them done. There's no waiting to speak of. Good luck! You'll be amazed with the beauty of colors that you haven't seen for a while and the clearness of your vision. Just make sure to always wear UV protection. Be aware too that you still may need corrective glasses after the operation since the lens that is put in has only one focal distance. There are expensive lenses that will give you more than one focal distance but I've heard that they're problematic .

Did you have dry eye syndrome before the surgery as well?

Note that just because you have cataracts doesn't mean you need surgery now. Surgery is indicated only when the cataract(s) interfere with your vision to a significant extent. I mentionethis as some private hosps have been known to try to jump the gun on this.

Of course with time, unless you die first, a cataract will worsen to the point that you need surgery. but no reason or value to rushing it.

I am delaying mainly because I like the idea of using the more advanced technology of femtosecond laser assisted. My understanding is Thailand now has at least three machines but none in the Pattaya area.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Note that just because you have cataracts doesn't mean you need surgery now. Surgery is indicated only when the cataract(s) interfere with your vision to a significant extent. I mentionethis as some private hosps have been known to try to jump the gun on this.

Of course with time, unless you die first, a cataract will worsen to the point that you need surgery. but no reason or value to rushing it.

Excellent advice. You will know when the time is ready. Being unable to pass the vision test for my California driver's license and great difficulty reading small print were the deciding factors for me and my doctor. We had been monitoring my cataracts for 5-7 years.

• Like 1

To be honest this is the reason i am getting a second opinion the doctor i saw here in Pattaya was very nice and gave me lots of tests ect ,but my vision is not that bad and he was trying to get me to have an operation straight away ,but i wanted to look it up on the internet ect and find out the best place to get it done if i have to , also last night after telling my son ,he was at his girlfriends and her father said that he knew a docter at Rutanin ,so ,it looks like i may be going there for an exam as well .nothing like covering all bases

• Like 1

JSixpack: I may have had dry eye syndrome before the operation but wasn't aware of it as such. I did have problems with my eyes constantly being irritated so perhaps it was dry eye. I didn't discover Refresh Liquigel until after the operation to remove the cataracts. The eye drops prescribed by my local doctor here in Tokyo just weren't working and a friend told me about liquigel. I had the cataracts removed because it was clear that I wasn't going to pass my next driver's license eye exam unless I did. My eyes don't get irritated much anymore though I do need reading glasses and even a magnifying glass for the really small stuff but I can see when I drive just fine. For the UV protection, I've had bifocals made and wear them all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had the equivelent to cataract surgery about 7 years ago in Pattaya at the Bangkok/Pattaya Hospital on Suhkimvit and Pattaya Nuea (or near).

I did the "Supersight" thing to correct my vision so that I can read without glasses. Ihad no issues but I do have friends who have had secondary issues like floaters and the like. Not sure I'd do it again just to correct reading vision which I could deal with using glasses, but if I needed standard cataract surgery anyway I'd probably look into this before using the old basic lens that don't work like the originals.

I think his name was Dr. Somchai. But ask for Supersight at the desk they will direct you.

I don't really fully understand what they're doing there but none of their marketing materials ever say it is indicated for people with EXISTING cataracts. Not that it isn't, but considering the huge pool of potential patients with cataracts, something is odd.

http://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/healthcare-services-en/lasik-and-supersight-surgery-center-en.html

I don't really fully understand what they're doing there but none of their marketing materials ever say it is indicated for people with EXISTING cataracts. Not that it isn't, but considering the huge pool of potential patients with cataracts, something is odd.

http://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/healthcare-services-en/lasik-and-supersight-surgery-center-en.html

Seems they would mention cataracts specifically but cataracts are not excluded and are implied.

What they're doing looks to me like standard IOL implants using a multifocal lens--given a marketing spin w/ "SuperSight."

Seems they would mention cataracts specifically but cataracts are not excluded and are implied.

What they're doing looks to me like standard IOL implants using a multifocal lens--given a marketing spin w/ "SuperSight."

OK, I'm no expert and I don't get paid if I refer someone so..... laugh.png

Yes, because of the multifocal lens it is more expensive than normal cataract surgery. But my laymans understanding is it is the same surgical procedure. Remove the old lens and replace it with a man made one.

It is still up to anyone reading this to determine the risk benefits and if this is a legitimate solution to a medical procedure they wish to have.

I will say my experience was weird. In that usually this type of surgery is performed on an awake patient. What they do is drip stuff into your eyes that numbs them. Then they flash a bright light at the eye they will work on so you can't see them and they do the job. I had mentioned I was nervous about it hinting for a valium or the like tongue.png

Instead they gave me something and out I went. I awoke in my room in the dark wondering if they had not done the procedure and bummed cause I'd have to work up the courage all over again. Then I grabbed the newspaper and glanced at it and knew they had done it cause I could read it without specs.

I had another rude awakening when I got up and looked in a mirror. One eye looked normal. The other had so much blood in it I was ready for a horror show lead. Doc Somchia came in later and I asked what was up with my eye. He said even sedated I was struggling when they tried to work on that eye so he JABBED IT WITH SOMETHING in a needle to temporarily blind it. blink.png

In the long run I got what I asked for. I can read without specs. Not perfectly. Not small print in dim light. But restaurant menus and notes while driving. If I am going to read for a couple hours I use cheaters. And if I have to work on something with small parts I need them.

I also lost a bit of distance vision. No harm doen really since I had superior distance vision before and it isn't really a valuable thing unless you are as sniper or a fighter pilot. thumbsup.gif For me the only disadvantage is I used to be able to see a golf ball out to 250 yards in most conditions. Now, sometimes if the background isn't good I lose the ball in flight.

I am also losing my night vision. Dr Somchai claims this is not a result of the surgery rather degeneration of a different part of my vision. I do know the slight halo effect I have at night with lights is annoying in heavy traffic and that IS a result of normal lens replacement anywhere.

One side effect of doing this is - I won't need cataract surgery until I'm about 90 now. Already had it at 50. thumbsup.gif

To be honest this is the reason i am getting a second opinion the doctor i saw here in Pattaya was very nice and gave me lots of tests ect ,but my vision is not that bad and he was trying to get me to have an operation straight away ,but i wanted to look it up on the internet ect and find out the best place to get it done if i have to , also last night after telling my son ,he was at his girlfriends and her father said that he knew a docter at Rutanin ,so ,it looks like i may be going there for an exam as well .nothing like covering all bases

Nearly 3 years ago, I had my eyes checked for a license renewal while living in Malta. The doctor said I had the early stages of cataracts - too soon for surgery, but have them regularly checked. Moved here two years ago and have had them checked at Pattaya International Hospital on Soi 4. Thorough checkups, cataracts have not progressed at all, and there was no push for surgery. I thought them very professional.

If you want a second opinion, they would be a likely alternative.

about 3yrs ago i had my left eye done at pattaya hospital bph because my sight had got too bad for night driving it cost 43000 baht and i can see perfectly now, before the operation i tried other cheaper goverment hospitals but i suffer from white coat syndrome my blood pressure go up when i go to hospitals or a doctor so i could'nt get the op done at a goverment hospital i went to bph and explained to the lady doctor and she said that she understood and i needed to be relaxed before they took my bp anyway they let me relax till my bp was normal then i had the op whitch seemed to go perfectly well and ive had no problems since and my eyesight is very good now. if my bp had been normal i could have got it done cheaper but im now very satisfied with the service i received at bph.

Go to Rutnin they DO KNOW what they are talking about and have never overcharged me. They are less than half the cost of BHG.

Most definitly. Personal experience. BPH could not detect my detached retina. Would be blind if not for Rutnin. Or, follow the cheap charlies advice and take your chances.

• Like 1

Go to Rutnin they DO KNOW what they are talking about and have never overcharged me. They are less than half the cost of BHG.

Most definitly. Personal experience. BPH could not detect my detached retina. Would be blind if not for Rutnin. Or, follow the cheap charlies advice and take your chances.

How much per eye do Rutanin charge ,for ordinary lenses?

How much per eye do Rutanin charge ,for ordinary lenses?

I didnt have to buy new lenses, they reattached the ones I was born with Eienstien.(spelling police!!!)