Phanom Rung or Phimai?

AgnesGooch

As much as I would like to see the Khmer temples in both locations, I don't know if I'll have the time this trip as it doesn't seem feasible to visit both on the same day unless you join an expensive tour or hire a car. I don't drive and don't have the money for a private tour so I will be relying on buses - and a motorcycle taxi to get to Phanom Rung from Nang Rong. If you could only visit one, which would you choose?

That's a tough choice. Both are amazing. Without transport, I'd go with Phi Mai. Much easier to do. Phanom Rung is really out in the middle of nowhere.

Indeed it is, but as Phuketrichard said Phanom Rung wins it by a country mile.

The tempel in Phimai is although magnificent surrounded by roads and habitation whereas Phanum Rung occupies the whole top of a hill by itself with some breathtaking vistas.

A completely different experience in my humble opinion. (sorry Craig)

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 2

As others have said, they are both worthwhile sites and rather different. If I had to pick one, I would go with Phanom Rung as the site is more natural and a nice place to hang out even after touring the temple itself. It's also a bit more grand with an entrance/approach designed for impact.

• Like 1

Phanom Rung wins out 'cos of the setting

next trip try Kampheng Phet - two areas of Khmer temples which get very few farang visitors - been there twice and I was the only visitor

also suggest u learn to ride a 110cc bike - will make SE Asia so much more accessable and meaningful

• Like 1

Phanom Rung wins out 'cos of the setting next trip try Kampheng Phet - two areas of Khmer temples which get very few farang visitors - been there twice and I was the only visitor also suggest u learn to ride a 110cc bike - will make SE Asia so much more accessable and meaningful

Unless the OP is use to riding bikes, Thailand is a terrible place to try. And if you do, make sure you have full insurance coverage. So many stories of foreigners ending up in the hospital with mountains of bills.

Forgot to say; Phanom Rung wins hands down vs Pimai and you are also close to prasat Muang Tam.

Next time plan to take in Pimai, Phanom Rung, MuangTam and then go onto to Angkor Wat and see the real thing (it is actually a straight line from Pimai, through Phanom Rung and Angkor Wat).

Siem Reap is less than 4 hours away from Phanom Rung.

• Like 1

Phanom Rung wins out 'cos of the setting next trip try Kampheng Phet - two areas of Khmer temples which get very few farang visitors - been there twice and I was the only visitor also suggest u learn to ride a 110cc bike - will make SE Asia so much more accessable and meaningful

Unless the OP is use to riding bikes, Thailand is a terrible place to try. And if you do, make sure you have full insurance coverage. So many stories of foreigners ending up in the hospital with mountains of bills.

sure, agree and hence the use of the expression 'learn to ride' and not a suggestion just to rent a motorbike

the devil is in the details