Thai Airways To Spend Us$186m On Major Revamp

george

Thai Airways to spend US$186m on major revamp

It seeks to regain leading status via improvement of planes, image

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways is to spend US$186 million revamping its planes and its image, the airline said on Wednesday as it attempts to regain its status as a leading Asian carrier.

'The airline will spend about 7.2 billion baht in a five-year plan to improve areas like seats and service,' a spokeswoman said.

'The company will also spend another US$2 million hiring Interbrand to improve its image,' she said, referring to the international brand consultancy firm.

Thai Airways president Kanok Abhiradee reportedly said the move was aimed at increasing the carrier's competitiveness in the increasingly cut-throat world aviation market.

He told the Bangkok Post that in addition to brand building, the contract with Interbrand would involve the design and positioning of the carrier in the world market as well as handling corporate communications.

Mr Kanok said the new corporate identity would focus on the concept 'High Trust, World Class and Thai Touch' which would be applied to all aspects of the airliner from its logos to cabin decoration.

The Post said new seats would be installed in first- and business-class sections and that the refurbishment was due to be completed by the end of this year.

Inflight entertainment systems will be upgraded and services such as the call centre, airport lounges and frequent-flyer scheme will also be improved, he said in the report.

Thai Airways has posted record profits in both the past two years, but it has attracted criticism for its tired plane interiors and poor facilities compared to its regional rivals.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who once famously said that the airline 'sucked', has grown increasingly irritated with its failure to innovate.

After launching a major share offering last year, Thai Airways said it would use the funds to upgrade its aircraft and regain its top-dog status which it has lost to rivals like Singapore Airlines.

-- AFP 2004-02-28

Just get me some decent food. TG has without question the worst in-flight food in the world. Even half a million boyscouts (or so), used to eating burned bread, grubs, leaves, self-dead chicken and God knows what, that came here during the jamboree complained about the food. And they had the pleasure of enjoying the TG food right from the kitchen, the when it was freshly cooked.

ASIC

Just get me some decent food. TG has without question the worst in-flight food in the world. Even half a million boyscouts (or so), used to eating burned bread, grubs, leaves, self-dead chicken and God knows what, that came here during the jamboree complained about the food. And they had the pleasure of enjoying the TG food right from the kitchen, the when it was freshly cooked.

ASIC

It'd poison a soi dog :o

The Post said new seats would be installed in first- and business-class sections and that the refurbishment was due to be completed by the end of this year.

How about the economy seats? Lots of airlines now have personal tv screen in the eco class. The seats are much more comfortable as well.

I read somewhere that Thai Int'l Airlines will offer non stop flights from LAX starting sometime next year using a new Airbus configuration. That will help.

Arrival times in Bangkok in the morning or afternoon would be a plus also.

More competative pricing to match China, Eva, Korean, Asiana and ANA would certainly help as well to boost passenger loads.

In 35 trips I've made to Thailand not once have I used Thai Int'l so can't vouch for the food comparisons, but don't see how the meals could be worse than on United and Northwest Orient.

In recent years, I have mostly used EVA Evergreen Deluxe Class for the wider seats, private line check in, and early arrival in BKK which allows me to get to my destination (usually Pattaya Beach or Chiayaphum) in the late afternoon or early evening, in time to have a good meal and then rest. Sure helps with the jetlag.

But when EVA Deluxe Class is NOT offered, I usually take China Air because it is the cheapest from LAX.

When we fly direct from San Antonio here, United has the best of the two worst offerings (United and Northwest) without changing carriers. Can fly ANA from Houston however which is usually also super cheap.

As I used to be a Travel Agent (6+ years back in the 70's and early 80's), I know most of the shortcuts to finding the best fares and have a list of most of the consolidators/bucket shops/wholesalers on my homepage:

http://homepage.mac.com/mgnewman/KenLat/

Just page down the left hand subheadings column to Travel, then click on all the URL's listed within. 95% of the time the one that says best fare to BKK will offer the cheapest from any major city in the U.S.

Be sure and bookmark our homepage for additional wealth of info on Thailand and other topics of interest to you.

Ken and Rattana Bower

San Antonio Texas USA

Visiting Thailand since 1971

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that seat-back screens in Economy are now overdue.

We found that the Infant-Cots definitely don't fit Thai/Farang children over about 12 months - how about a bigger one ?

And the menus LHR-BKK seem never to change ? Or is that just me ??

But the most irritating thing is the way those nice maps , which show that you are s l o w l y getting to LoS , always seem to get switched-off from just after take-off until shortly before landing. Pity .

We found that the Infant-Cots definitely don't fit Thai/Farang children over about 12 months - how about a bigger one ?

And the menus LHR-BKK seem never to change ? Or is that just me ??

But the most irritating thing is the way those nice maps , which show that you are s l o w l y getting to LoS , always seem to get switched-off from just after take-off until shortly before landing. Pity .

When the seatback equipment is installed you can watch the location feature for hours :o I admit I like to see it too.

We found that the Infant-Cots definitely don't fit Thai/Farang children over about 12 months  -  how about a bigger one ?

And the menus LHR-BKK seem never to change ?  Or is that just me ??

But the most irritating thing is the way those nice maps , which show that you are s l o w l y  getting to LoS , always seem to get switched-off from just after take-off until shortly before landing.  Pity .

When the seatback equipment is installed you can watch the location feature for hours :o I admit I like to see it too.

Right-On Doc !

Now if only they could fit them near the queue for Immigration in BKK , too ! :D

We found that the Infant-Cots definitely don't fit Thai/Farang children over about 12 months   -   how about a bigger one ?

And the menus LHR-BKK seem never to change ?   Or is that just me ??

But the most irritating thing is the way those nice maps , which show that you are s l o w l y  getting to LoS , always seem to get switched-off from just after take-off until shortly before landing.  Pity .

Right-On Doc !

Now if only they could fit them near the queue for Immigration in BKK , too ! :D

Ohhhh you've had that bloody bus ride into the terminal too. It is a pain in the butt

I always buy tickets on Emirates. However my last trip I had to fly on Thai (Thai/Emirates code sharing meant that the flight was operated by Thai).

My 2 main gripes with Thai:

• No pesonal screen. IE choice of 1 movie
  • Much less leg room. Important cause I'm 192 cm

Whatever they do, I hope they include the following on their agenda:

1. Retire their MD11's whose cabin noise is louder than the oldest Antonov

2. Retire the hags (not) serving in business

3. Change the seat covers (or wash them more often)

4. Repair their earphones / jacks

:o

Whatever they do, I hope they include the following on their agenda:

1. Retire their MD11's whose cabin noise is louder than the oldest Antonov

2. Retire the hags (not) serving in business

3. Change the seat covers (or wash them more often)

4. Repair their earphones / jacks

:o

They actually did retire the MD 11's but inappropriately returned them to service. Sad to see a one time superb airline dwindling in popularity and position,

They actually did retire the MD 11's but inappropriately returned them to service. Sad to see a one time superb airline dwindling in popularity and position,

A majority of their flights to and from Zurich are demoted to MD11 status. On arrival one would get the feeling that they have stowed-away in the livestock wagon of a long-haul freight train.

Their ear-plugs are a sorry excuse and could be easily mistaken for the previous passengers wrigley-wad. While, the broken headphones multiply that freight train effect to the extreme! :o

A majority of their flights to and from Zurich are demoted to MD11 status. On arrival one would get the feeling that they have stowed-away in the livestock wagon of a long-haul freight train.

Their ear-plugs are a sorry excuse and could be easily mistaken for the previous passengers wrigley-wad. While, the broken headphones multiply that freight train effect to the extreme! :D

We can only pray that TG will find a desperate and poverty struck airline with a need for a fleet increase :o