Fencers - Foil, Epee, and Saber players

FolkGuitar

(Please... no childish comments re: barb wire or chicken wire. Try and restrain yourselves.)

Anybody do any fencing in their younger days? There is a club in Chiang Mai, with some very, very good fencers, that meets once a week to play. I had been away from the sport for almost 30 years, but it's just like driving an F-16 doing a carrier landing... some things just back come easier than others.

I was a three-weapon fencer for many years but once I moved to Asia, was never in an area with other fencers. Now I am, and it's great getting back into the sport. I guess I'm not as fast as I used to be, nor as nimble (I actually tripped over my own feet today! Landed flat on my stomach!!) but I seem to be able to not embarrass myself too badly. It's a great sport regardless of sex or age. If you'd like to get back into the game, give me a shout. I'll tell you what I've found.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fencing is a wonderful sport and thrilling to watch when done well by the young and agile.

The old, the obese, and the mentally-challenged make themselves look ridiculous when they try it.

Think of Sergeant Garcia facing-off against Guy Williams as Zorro. Errol Flynn in his many swashbuckling roles usually had comic-relief in swordplay with a fool. Your pratfall was a timely warning of things to come. Heed it!

Fencing is a wonderful sport and thrilling to watch when done well by the young and agile.

The old, the obese, and the mentally-challenged make themselves look ridiculous when they try it.

Think of Sergeant Garcia facing-off against Guy Williams as Zorro. Errol Flynn in his many swashbuckling roles usually had comic-relief in swordplay with a fool. Your pratfall was a timely warning of things to come. Heed it!

You may be too pooped to pop, but I'm not. I was.. two years ago. Not any more. We can accept it and sit back and wait to die, or do something about it. Our choice.

With all due respect, even people in wheelchairs are fencing these days, and loving it. Fencing is quite like a moving chess game; 90% of it takes place in the mind. What you see is only the other 10%. Some of the best fencers I've known were rather portly fellows, especially the saber fencers. But as it happens, I took off 50lbs recently, and fast-walk 10k every day. My fall today was due to mixing up which foot went where first, not to old age or weight. I've been away from the sport for 25 years, and jumped back into it by facing an opponent on the fencing strip rather than spending a few weeks doing drills to re-pattern my moves.

The only thing coming to me will be better health through enjoyable sports exercise, and good companionship. Just can't beat a combo like that!

Don't worry about how you look right now. Think about how you'll look a year from now when you've taken off that beer gut and regained some muscle tone. Besides, nobody else is looking at ya!

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

You may be too pooped to pop, but I'm not. I was.. two years ago. Not any more. We can accept it and sit back and wait to die, or do something about it. Our choice.

With all due respect, even people in wheelchairs are fencing these days, and loving it. Fencing is quite like a moving chess game; 90% of it takes place in the mind. What you see is only the other 10%. Some of the best fencers I've known were rather portly fellows, especially the saber fencers. But as it happens, I took off 50lbs recently, and fast-walk 10k every day. My fall today was due to mixing up which foot went where first, not to old age or weight. I've been away from the sport for 25 years, and jumped back into it by facing an opponent on the fencing strip rather than spending a few weeks doing drills to re-pattern my moves.

The only thing coming to me will be better health through enjoyable sports exercise, and good companionship. Just can't beat a combo like that!

Don't worry about how you look right now. Think about how you'll look a year from now when you've taken off that beer gut and regained some muscle tone. Besides, nobody else is looking at ya!

I recall seeing a special on TV I think it was 60 minutes where they were using fencing to help inner city juveniles in New York to stay out of the gang life style.

Must be some thing to it. Is it open to observe at the club?

I recall seeing a special on TV I think it was 60 minutes where they were using fencing to help inner city juveniles in New York to stay out of the gang life style.

Must be some thing to it. Is it open to observe at the club?

I don't see why not... But Dolly... Are you at risk of joining a gang, or just thinking about it.

Where and when please.

Do they have masks, foils etc to borrow, as I sold all my gear many years ago?

Wouldn't mind starting again. I fenced for many years in the UK until I left.

Depending upon your size, they 'may' have a jacket and plastron that fit you. There are some masks, gloves, foils and epees available. Unfortunately there are no sabre fencers in the club right now. I was primarily a foil and sabre fencer. These folks are seriously into epee. I will say that everyone that I've fenced with so far has a very delicate touch, something I don't remember from 25 years ago, and which put me off of epee at that time. I'm looking to get back to that weapon.

I'm in the same boat as you. I left all my gear back in the States 25 years ago. I wouldn't trust the safety of my old mask these days, and certainly not the blades. But I'd sure love to recover the grips, guards, and glove I had. Perhaps even the shoes would still be OK. I've been using the club's gear just to be sure that after all these years I 'could' still hold my weapon up. Seems to be working the way I need it too. Wish I could say that about the rest of me...

I'm just about to put in an order for a whole new kit. Hey, it's Christmas, right? Ordering from a good quality Chinese firm instead of Leon Paul or Santelli keeps the costs down considerably.

Fencing in wheelchairs!?

Wasn't that done by Monty Python some years back?

Fencing in wheelchairs!?

Wasn't that done by Monty Python some years back?

I've often wondered about people who find amusement in making fun of people with disabilities...

Frankly, I don't know if Monty Python did something with it. I'd like to think they have more respect for people with disabilities. I do know that it is done in;

National Veterans Wheelchair Games

The International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports (IWAS) World Games

The Paralympic Games

... and a host of others.

I'm sure you can get tickets online now so you can attend and giggle to your hearts content.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we did have some new people show up to fence with us. One fellow was pretty darn good, despite being away from the sport for many, many years. I'd been away from it myself for almost 30 years, and it feels really good to be back at it. But we would love to have some more people to play against.

The Chiang Mai Fencing Club is open to all. Young or old, male or female. (If you plan to compete, you will have to select one from each category. )

If you have young children at home and are thinking about a good activity that promotes thinking more than fighting, planning and working towards a goal, and develops good strong bodies quickly, Fencing is the way to do that. Most people don't realize that Fencing is more 'thinking' than fighting... it's a 'moving chess game' without the boring waiting between moves... At the same time, it's full contact one-on-one combat, but without getting hurt.

The Fencing coach is happy to offer lessons to newbies, correct mistakes of us returnees, and fence for fun with everyone. You don't have to be in perfect shape to fence well. You do have to be able to think well. Fencing quickly 'cures' being out of shape. It's a perfect sport for us old timers as we can play it at our own speed.

If you've been looking for something new, looking to change your daily routines, looking to get in better physical shape ('round' does NOT qualify as 'better shape,') looking for a good sport that you can play with your kids or your spouse/partner, think about taking a look at the Chiang Mai Fencing Club. It doesn't cost anything to look. In fact, it only costs 50 baht a week to play. Come take a look. We are always looking for new fencers!

As a sideline, maybe the club could produce some videos. Updated versions of those fencing scenes from classic movies of the 1930s; but featuring Chiang Mai expats. The geriatric, the obese, and the befuddled.

All kinds of scenarios come to mind, and it's not hard to imagine some real howlers.

Heavily tattooed, plug-ugly sexpats crossing swords in Loi Kroh bars, the action spilling out into the street. Bargirls enter the fray, smashing bottles over their heads as Thai cops arrive in force and add to the mayhem.

Supermarkets, with their aisles jammed with shuffling old geezers trying to get the last can of Pepsi Max. Heated words are exchanged, umbrage is taken, sword-canes are drawn... and all hell breaks loose!

The possibilities are endless.

Fencing could become a real boon for Chiang Mai expats. No more boredom and cultural isolation. That feeling of being a stranger in a strange land will be a thing of the past.

King Momo reigns... laissez les bon temps rouler!

FolkGuitar, 2 questions: Is it dangerous at all? Do you have to "be in shape" to learn and enjoy the sport?

1. Dangerous? No...NOT AT ALL! There are far more injuries in Junior League Baseball than in modern Fencing. Bowling is actually more dangerous!

There are no sharp points or sharp edges on the weapons we use, but still, we never engage blades without wearing protective clothing anyway. It's a cardinal rule drummed into every fencer from the very start that a proper mask MUST be worn when you fence. We wear special jackets that have two-three layers of material in them, an under-jacket half-jacket that contains two-three layers of material and seams that run perpendicular to the jacket seams for even more protection. The masks we use are manufactured to specific requirements to insure against penetration. We wear special gloves with extra padding to protect our hands. The pants we wear are made similar to the jackets for more protection. Women will wear plastic or steel breast protection, while most men will wear a protective cup. Often men will also wear a plastic chest protector.

In competitions, every fencer's equipment will be checked by the Competition Armorer to see that everything conforms to proper (published) safety levels, and any mask or weapon found under those levels are disqualified from use.

Safety is paramount in this sport. I've been fencing since 1963 and have NEVER seen anyone injured more than twisting an ankle. I seem to remember hearing about one injury back in the early 70's, where a blade broke and the opponent was cut by the ragged broken end, but I don't know that it actually happened.

2. OK... about being 'in shape...'

Fencing is 90% mental and 10% physical. A 'thinking' fencer who is out of shape is going to do well against a 'non-thinking' fencer who is in shape.

I'm not saying he'll win. I'm saying he'll do well. You don't need to be IN shape to start fencing. Fencing will get you into shape quickly and easily.

I like the analogy of the game of Chess. Fencing is a 'moving chess game without the long boring waits between moves.' Good fencers are thinking, planning their strategies 3-4 moves ahead, just the way a chess player would. So it really is more brains than brawn. But a little brawn comes in handy. smile.png

Fencing is a physical activity. And, it's a combat sport. It doesn't require strength the way Boxing does, (it also doesn't hurt the way Boxing does...) but you do need to be able to move lightly on your feet. Women make excellent fencers, and can easily hold their own against men, because the need for big muscles isn't there. Anyone who can do Aerobics for 10-20 minutes is certainly in good enough condition for fencing. And you don't need to be in that condition to begin fencing. Fencing is a wonderful way to get one's self into condition without boring exercise machines or expensive health club memberships. It's also a way to 'use' your condition, rather than just get into it...

I will say this though... One of the very best fencers I ever knew was an overweight guy with a body that looked like an pear... when he started fencing.

But don't take my word for it. Come on down to the Chiang Mai Fencing Club and see for yourself. TRY for yourself. The head coach of the club is a lovely Thai woman who will be able to answer all your questions. There are lessons available for adults and for kids.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

TBH I never really considered it worth watching until the last Olympicals, and then when they explained all the rules I found it quite riveting.

Knowing what the rules are makes watching the sport not only understandable, but more exciting!

And the rules aren't so complicated for spectator appreciation. Just as watching American Football, Ice Hockey, or Rugby, if you don't know what's going on, it's difficult to really appreciate the quality action. All you see is guys running and bumping into each other, or in our case, people trying to poke each other with a sword...

There are different rules for each weapon, but the basics remain the same. At the Chiang Mai Fencing Club, the coach or her assistant would be more than happy to explain them to anyone who asks. Actually far less complicated than American Football, and when compared to Cricket, simply child's play!

TBH I never really considered it worth watching until the last Olympicals, and then when they explained all the rules I found it quite riveting.

Knowing what the rules are makes watching the sport not only understandable, but more exciting!

And the rules aren't so complicated for spectator appreciation. Just as watching American Football, Ice Hockey, or Rugby, if you don't know what's going on, it's difficult to really appreciate the quality action. All you see is guys running and bumping into each other, or in our case, people trying to poke each other with a sword...

There are different rules for each weapon, but the basics remain the same. At the Chiang Mai Fencing Club, the coach or her assistant would be more than happy to explain them to anyone who asks. Actually far less complicated than American Football, and when compared to Cricket, simply child's play!

Rules are very simple.

Hold on to the blunt end, stick the pointy end in the other player.

• Like 1

Rules are very simple.

Hold on to the blunt end, stick the pointy end in the other player.

Well... while there are some subtleties involved in the more serious aspects of the sport,

that really does almost sum up the long and short of it quite well! Just add in '... before the other guy sticks you!' and you'll have it down pat!

Well, we did have some new people show up to fence with us. One fellow was pretty darn good, despite being away from the sport for many, many years. I'd been away from it myself for almost 30 years, and it feels really good to be back at it. But we would love to have some more people to play against.

The Chiang Mai Fencing Club is open to all. Young or old, male or female. (If you plan to compete, you will have to select one from each category. )

If you have young children at home and are thinking about a good activity that promotes thinking more than fighting, planning and working towards a goal, and develops good strong bodies quickly, Fencing is the way to do that. Most people don't realize that Fencing is more 'thinking' than fighting... it's a 'moving chess game' without the boring waiting between moves... At the same time, it's full contact one-on-one combat, but without getting hurt.

The Fencing coach is happy to offer lessons to newbies, correct mistakes of us returnees, and fence for fun with everyone. You don't have to be in perfect shape to fence well. You do have to be able to think well. Fencing quickly 'cures' being out of shape. It's a perfect sport for us old timers as we can play it at our own speed.

If you've been looking for something new, looking to change your daily routines, looking to get in better physical shape ('round' does NOT qualify as 'better shape,') looking for a good sport that you can play with your kids or your spouse/partner, think about taking a look at the Chiang Mai Fencing Club. It doesn't cost anything to look. In fact, it only costs 50 baht a week to play. Come take a look. We are always looking for new fencers!

Few more questions: Is there a national interest in fencing in Thailand? Can a non-Thai compete in national events?

How does one score hits without impaling your opponent? Can I just try a few times to see if I like it?

Few more questions: Is there a national interest in fencing in Thailand? Can a non-Thai compete in national events?

How does one score hits without impaling your opponent? Can I just try a few times to see if I like it?

1. Can I just try a few times to see if I like it?

Absolutely! This is really the very best way to get some real idea of the sport. The Chiang Mai Fencing Club as some extra protective equipment that can be used (depending upon your size) by men, women, and kids. And there are plenty of people at the club who will be more than willing to introduce you to the game. Although a full set of equipment isn't that expensive (about $150 USD) it's smart to try out the kit before you buy to give you a better idea of your own personal preferences. You're more than welcome to come and try your hand yourself, or... just watch for a while. Someone will give you an idea of the rules so that you'll better understand what you are seeing. The head coach of the Chiang Mai Fencing Club is Thai, which makes it very comfortable (language-wise) for lessons for the whole family. It's a family sport, and a great way for the family to play together, meeting new people from all over the Kingdom. And unlike golf, bowling, or tennis, you'll discover that it's just not that difficult to play and enjoy! Mom can easily be a better fencer than Dad, and Junior can surprise us all! It's not a 'muscle' sport. It's a 'thinking' sport combined with an action/adventure component.

2. Is there a national interest in fencing in Thailand?

There is a surprisingly strong national interest in Fencing here in the Kingdom! In fact, one of the Royal Family is a patron of the sport (although I'm not sure of his exact position.) There are numerous clubs all over Thailand, with several in the Bangkok area alone. Many universities field fencing teams (CMU being one of them!) as well as a strong following in the military (which is historically a solid bastion of fencing tradition.) There are National Competitions being held almost every month in Thailand, as well as International events almost as often.

3. Can a non-Thai compete in national events?

Certainly! Everyone living in the Kingdom is welcome. The Chiang Mai Fencing Club fields an Epée team, a Foil team, and will be fielding a Sabre team in the near future, to enter in the National competitions. Our club teams are comprised of fencers from the UK, Europe, the USA, etc., as well as Thailand.

I just wanted to let people know that the Chiang Mai Fencing Club will be meeting tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon, starting at 1:00pm

Visitors wondering about the sport are more than welcome, men women and children, all welcomed, and someone will be on hand to explain the rules and give you an idea of what you are seeing. It's easy to understand, and the electric scoring box flashes out the points as they are scored.

Anyone with even the slightest idea of getting back into shape... here's your chance. Anyone looking for a sport for their children that promotes thinking as much as physical activity... here's your chance. Anyone looking to experience a new sport, one with all the excitement of karate or boxing but without the pain... here's your chance. Anyone looking to break out of the rut of retirement... here's your chance.

Stop in and see. Even for just a few minutes. You might be pleasantly surprised! Take a chance.

Location: Just where the frontage road leaves the superhighway after Wat Ched Yot there are some buildings immediately on your left. There is a large red sign that reads "CHINATOWN" across a small entryway between two buildings. Drive into that entryway. The club meets about 20 meters down on the left. There is a large glass window you can look through if you are too shy to walk in...

I hope we see you there!

Do you have a financial stake in this venture?

You've been promoting it like a snake-oil salesman.

Encouraging people who are unfit and unqualified to go at one another with swords is the height of irresponsibility.

If they want to get in shape, let them walk or run, or engage in some sane sport; not make fools out of themselves and endanger others at the same time.

Your update this evening will no doubt be a glowing description of how many people showed up and what a good time was had by all.

Testimonials from happy-campers are always welcome.

Touche!

No, not a financial stake. I have an emotional one. I ENJOY the sport. I want to get more people interested in it so that the club has a larger group to play with. The more people involved, the greater the diversity of strategies, and as I've said before, it's really a 'thinking' sport. The more people playing, the more enjoyable it is for everyone involved.

Encouraging people who are (1) unfit and (2) unqualified to (3) go at one another with swords is the height of irresponsibility.

(Please forgive me for adding these number to your post. I did it only for the sake of clarity.)

Well, let me respond to this as if it were a three-part question;

1. The unfit will get into shape quite quickly. It's exercise that works all the body's muscle groups, as well as cardio. That's one of the perks of fencing!

2. The unqualified will be given instructions so they become qualified. It's actually a very easy sport to pick up. A person can pick up enough in a few minutes to safely enjoy playing. Each session, as they will add to their skills and abilities, the level of their enjoyment increases.

3. It seems that you imagine that it's dangerous.. There are no sharp points, no sharp edges, and no pain involved. Absolutely no danger.

Actually, there are FAR MORE accidents playing soccer or baseball. LOTS more playing rugby. I've seen a lot of bloody noses on the basketball court, but never seen any blood at all on the fencing strip. I did hear someone say 'ouch' when they dropped a rule book on their toe, but that's probably not what you were talking about... Personally, I started fencing when I was 16. In all these years I have NEVER seen a fencing related accident.

If they want to get in shape, let them walk or run,

Please excuse me, but personally, "I" don't 'let them' do anything. It's entirely up to them if they want to play. Walking is good exercise. I walk 10k almost every day. But it's often boring, smog-filled, and solitary. Fencing is never boring, the air is cleaner, and to play you do need a partner.

or engage in some sane sport; not make fools out of themselves and endanger others at the same time.

I'm not sure I understand how fencing can makes fools of them. Perhaps you could explain.

As there is no danger attached to the sport except, it would appear, in your mind, there is no endangering going on. If if were, there wouldn't be so many children fencing all over the world. Enough if fact, that the Junior Olympics have fencing as part of its programs rather than finger painting...

And no, no update tonight. That will be tomorrow night. We meet on Saturday afternoons, not Friday nights. And all are welcome to come watch or play!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Encouraging people who are unfit and unqualified to go at one another with swords is the height of irresponsibility.

If they want to get in shape, let them walk or run, or engage in some sane sport; not make fools out of themselves and endanger others at the same time.

Your update this evening will no doubt be a glowing description of how many people showed up and what a good time was had by all.

Touche!

You can only "make a fool of yourself" by acting foolishly. Are you insinuating that insane sports are the ones you choose NOT to participate in?

I would imagine that the reason there are coaches and trainers is to help people enjoy sports, without "endangering" other people - at least that has been my experience.

Touche!

Calm down Gloria, it's not that serious...

internet-serious-business.jpg

Touche!

Calm down Gloria, it's not that serious...

The part that was most amusing was his ending with 'touche.'

If you look at a dictionary, this is what you see;

tou·ché
to͞oˈSHā/
exclamation
exclamation: touché
(in fencing) used as an acknowledgment of a hit by one's opponent.

Basically, he was acknowledging the fact that he was already beaten before he even began... wai2.gif

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1