Fencers - Foil, Epee, and Saber players

FolkGuitar

Touche! A weak attempt at levity on my part that fell flat. Sorry.

It was used somewhat out of context as well. I didn't mean to admit defeat. Why should I ? I have a good life here, with an occupation and family that take up my time and satisfy my desires - for the most part.

I would admit defeat and consider myself a loser if I had to seek out bizarre and unusual activities to occupy my time and give meaning to a life that otherwise didn't have any.

Fencing is a good example. When practiced by the fit and expert, it is almost an art-form, a deadly ballet that is fascinating to watch.

But there is a fine line between the sublime and the ridiculous. Imagine a group of fat, clumsy, clueless people getting up on stage to dance Swan Lake. Fencing, when done by clowns can seem even more ludicrous. Chiang Mai should be spared the sight of it.

If it is inevitable, and the juggernaut of westernization demands it, then promote it openiy. Become a sponsor here or elsewhere. Don't use the forum to sell products or services.

As Honest Abe said, "...you can't fool all the people all the time." That was the voice of experience speaking. Not that it was from lack of trying - he spent his adult life as a lawyer and then as POTUS attempting to do just that. His posthumous deification is a monument to American gullibility even more impressive than that neo-classic abortion on the Mall.

Excuse the digression [i'm from Virginia, descended from rebels].

Let me conclude my last post on this topic with something appropriate. How about "En garde!" ? A challenge for you to get in the last word with a verbose chastisement that will put me in my place and keep me there.

But on second thought, maybe "Touche!" would be better after all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. I didn't mean to admit defeat. Why should I ?

2. I have a good life here, with an occupation and family that take up my time and satisfy my desires - for the most part.

3. I would admit defeat and consider myself a loser if I had to seek out bizarre and unusual activities to occupy my time

4. Fencing is a good example. When practiced by the fit and expert, it is almost an art-form, a deadly ballet that is fascinating to watch.

But there is a fine line between the sublime and the ridiculous. Imagine a group of fat, clumsy, clueless people getting up on stage to dance Swan Lake. Fencing, when done by clowns can seem even more ludicrous.

5. Don't use the forum to sell products or services.

6. I'm from Virginia

7. But on second thought, maybe "Touche!" would be better after all.

1. Well, because you managed to come off sounding absolutely clueless, and so made a fool of yourself with no need of assistance from anyone else.

2. ... and ThaiVisa to use as your personal forum when the need to try to humiliate others compels you to post. Who could ask for more?

3. By 'bizarre and unusual activities,' Do you mean a sport that has been an Olympic event since the late 1800's? Or did you mean a sport that has teams fielded by every single major university and college world-wide? (Yes, even CMU has a fencing team, as does Harvard, Yale, Oxford, and Cambridge, etc., etc. etc.) Perhaps you were referring to the sport that was seen painted on the walls of an Egyptian tomb, which shows a sport fencing match complete with masks, weapons with protected points, and referees, dating back to 1200 B.C.?

Or did you just mean a sport that you no nothing about? It's obvious from your posts that you haven't a clue as to what goes on in modern sport fencing. Your comments about 'dangerous' or 'irresponsible' tell us immediately that you have no idea about anything related to the sport. But most telling is your contempt for other people, exemplified by your comment in #4...

4. "Imagine a group of fat, clumsy, clueless people getting up on stage to dance Swan Lake."

Do you really think everyone is fat, clumsy, and clueless? The writer, Anaïs Nin, said "We don't see things as they are. We see things as we are."

Frankly, we not only imagine, we actually see people who were out of condition getting back into shape quickly and enjoyably. That's one of the perks of the sport. We get into shape, we increase our stamina, we improve our coordination, we learn a sport, but most importantly, we have a lot of fun.

I'm going to attach some photos I took with my cell phone (I apologize for the quality) today. There were other folks playing but out of the picture.

Please tell us which ones are the fat, clumsy, or from your other post, old people making clowns of themselves.

Today we had seven (7) new people show up to try the sport. Four men and two women. Three (3) were Thai, the other four (4) were Farang.

In two of the photos they are being helped by some of our regular fencers to learn the basics, and so are in no need of protective equipment. In the third photo, where they are actually engaged in play, they are ALL wearing regulation protective equipment.

By the way, the tall farang explaining something to the young woman fences for the Thai National Team and is rated No.12 in World standings.

5. We sell no products and we sell no services. We play. We learn, We socialize. We have fun. Next question?

6. I see. That explains a lot... cheesy.gif

7. Oh yessss....

post-38451-0-93613300-1388844413_thumb.j

post-38451-0-89343900-1388844432_thumb.j

post-38451-0-47633300-1388844444_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi there,

I'm a guy from Sweden who fenced (foil mostly) in my teens.

I've been looking around for some fun exercise and this looks perfect.

What are the times you practice times and what is the address?

I'll arrive in CM in a week and will stay for five weeks.

(Other stuff I have been looking for in CM is Taiji, Xing Yi or Bagua. Arts that I am still a beginner in.)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Hi there, I'm a guy from Sweden who fenced (foil mostly) in my teens. I've been looking around for some fun exercise and this looks perfect. What are the times you practice times and what is the address? I'll arrive in CM in a week and will stay for five weeks. (Other stuff I have been looking for in CM is Taiji, Xing Yi or Bagua. Arts that I am still a beginner in.) Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Contact us here when you get to town and I'll see that you have full directions. We usually meet Saturday afternoons. You can find several different places around Chiang Mai where Tai Chi is being practiced too, both for free and paid lessons.

Correction, Folk Guitar - I looked it up, that guy is not # 12 in World Fencing standings. Otherwise, great post clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=892957568 width=31 height=25>

Hmmmm... between his accent, my hearing, and a mask on my head, when he was telling me his creds, it sounded as if he said, 'last year #8, this year #12. With his blinding speed, I figured him for #1! cheesy.gif

It was a great experience to fence against him, regardless of his ranking, and I hope that he will be at the club meets often! It made for a really good time for everyone!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I'm a guy from Sweden who fenced (foil mostly) in my teens. I've been looking around for some fun exercise and this looks perfect. What are the times you practice times and what is the address? I'll arrive in CM in a week and will stay for five weeks. (Other stuff I have been looking for in CM is Taiji, Xing Yi or Bagua. Arts that I am still a beginner in.) Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Contact us here when you get to town and I'll see that you have full directions. We usually meet Saturday afternoons...

Yep, I'm here now and have blocked saturday for some fencing!

• Like 1

Contact us here when you get to town and I'll see that you have full directions. We usually meet Saturday afternoons...

Yep, I'm here now and have blocked saturday for some fencing!

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll get right back to you with detailed directions to the fencing salle. It's not hard to find once you know where to look! We meet Saturday afternoons starting at 13:00 and fence until we're too tired to continue. For some that comes sooner than for others. Foil, Epeé, and Sabre are available (usually,) and depending upon your size, full protective gear can be found here too. I missed this past Saturday's gathering as we went diving down in Koh Chang for a few day, but we'll certainly be up and running this coming Saturday! Let me hear from you soon and we'll get you organized!

Pejn, it was great having you join us today at the Fencing Salle. With you from Sweden, Marco from Italy, Les from the UK, Penn from Thailand, Wes and me from the US, today's Chiang Mai Fencing Club meet was a real International fencing event. Not as many fencers today as last time, but everyone there was playing their 'A' game! I hope you'll be able to join us more often! It was a good workout!

Thanks guys for the opportunity to pick up fencing again. Great fun!

Actually it made me decide to re-join my old fencingclub when i go back to Sweden.

See you next saturday.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the opportunity to pick up fencing again. Great fun! Actually it made me decide to re-join my old fencingclub when i go back to Sweden. See you next saturday. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

How old are you if I may ask?

I imagine that many people have pre-conceived notions of why they CAN NOT try this sport? Like age or injury? I've seen that we often doubt our own capabilities as humans and are more content to just exist. From my extensive reading on fencing, people will get out of it just about what they put into it. Like many martial arts, it seems to take at least a modicum of dedication to get to the point where you can have fun. True or not, in your opinion?

I'll be 50 this year.

I think the minimum physical requiremets for fencing is:

Being able to stand up an move 10m forwards and backwards for at least 3 minutes.

Move around and stretch forward your dominant arm, hand and fingers.

Enough coordination to brush your teeth.

My first fencing teacher was 70 years old and did not move his feet very much when he whipped us up...

The real requirements to enjoy the sport are more mental factors, like willingness to be a beginner, some fighting spirit and some sportmanship.

When it comes to dedication: well, without dedication nothing is fun. Is it?

But it does not take many hours until you can start "sparring" for real. The basics are fairly easy.

• Like 2

.....Like many martial arts, it seems to take at least a modicum of dedication to get to the point where you can have fun. True or not, in your opinion?

I'll be 50 this year. I think the minimum physical requiremets for fencing is: Being able to stand up an move 10m forwards and backwards for at least 3 minutes. Move around and stretch forward your dominant arm, hand and fingers. Enough coordination to brush your teeth. My first fencing teacher was 70 years old and did not move his feet very much when he whipped us up... The real requirements to enjoy the sport are more mental factors, like willingness to be a beginner, some fighting spirit and some sportmanship. When it comes to dedication: well, without dedication nothing is fun. Is it? But it does not take many hours until you can start "sparring" for real. The basics are fairly easy. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have to agree with Pejn on this one, and take it even further... I think even the folks who are starting their very first time at the club have a good time and enjoy themselves. They may not be effective. They may not have much idea of how to get the job done. But they know that they are, perhaps for the first time in years, actively participating in a sport that will provide physical fitness benefits from Day 1 as well as the fun of 'mixing it up' or if you will, 'sword fighting.' The fun starts on day 1 and gets better with every new move learned and better with every physical fitness gain. I think it's great the Chiang Mai now has more to offer, sports-wise than just golf, tennis, and beer-bottle lifting.

Edited by FolkGuitar

To me, and of course this is strictly a personal opinion, ANYTHING is more enjoyable than going to a gym and using a bunch of machines.

I wouldn't dream of denigrating their effectiveness for their intended purpose; they do work. They just bore the hell outta me! I often wonder if people go there more for the mirrors on the walls than the actual health benefits. There's got to be some reason so many health clubs mirror their walls...

Any active movement sport that utilizes all the muscle groups while at the same time provides good fun makes more sense to me.

To me, and of course this is strictly a personal opinion, ANYTHING is more enjoyable than going to a gym and using a bunch of machines.

I wouldn't dream of denigrating their effectiveness for their intended purpose; they do work. They just bore the hell outta me! I often wonder if people go there more for the mirrors on the walls than the actual health benefits. There's got to be some reason so many health clubs mirror their walls...

Any active movement sport that utilizes all the muscle groups while at the same time provides good fun makes more sense to me.

Not to take anything away from your dislike of gyms, of course that is a personal thing.

I have never fenced or anything similar. The closest I got was some Iaido.

What I would ask is, wouldn't a fencing club that has many members and the capital to do it have mirrors?

Some sports that I have seen have mirrors in the training areas so the participants can get instant feedback of something they may be working on.

Video is also good, but is not as instant as a mirror.

Mirrors also help the instructor/trainer point out things that a person may not understand when being told about them.

• Like 1

Not to take anything away from your dislike of gyms, of course that is a personal thing.

I have never fenced or anything similar. The closest I got was some Iaido.

What I would ask is, wouldn't a fencing club that has many members and the capital to do it have mirrors?

Some sports that I have seen have mirrors in the training areas so the participants can get instant feedback of something they may be working on.

Video is also good, but is not as instant as a mirror.

Mirrors also help the instructor/trainer point out things that a person may not understand when being told about them.

I'll bet the CMFC wants mirrors if they don't have them!thumbsup.gif

I think mirrors can provide excellent immediate visual feedback for instruction. I used to have one over my bed for just that very purpose... whistling.gif

I'd love to have a section of wall mirrored in the Chiang Mai Fencing Club, but I'd find more than one section more of a distraction than an advantage.

I think for fencing, dancing, Asian martial arts, anything requiring complex movements, having one or two mirrors can be very helpful for people to self-correct after good instruction or as adjunct to that good instruction

But I think that having mirrors on all four walls in a room filled with automatic machines that only require that you either sit on them or stand on them and pull levers or turn foot pedals may serve a different purpose... Free weight training would benefit from a mirror to make sure you are performing the movement correctly. Sitting on a stationary bicycle would not.

But as we said, this is only my opinion, and we do know what is said about opinions! cheesy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this post!

My wife and I are moving to Chiang Mai in July and I've been debating whether to bring any of my fencing gear with me! Good to see there's at least one active fencing club in CM - I'll definitely come along to train with you guys when I'm in town!

Karl

• Like 2

Glad I found this post!

My wife and I are moving to Chiang Mai in July and I've been debating whether to bring any of my fencing gear with me! Good to see there's at least one active fencing club in CM - I'll definitely come along to train with you guys when I'm in town!

Karl

Karl, that is great! I'm sure enjoying the experience. There are Tournaments! In BKK mostly but maybe we can organize one in Chiang Mai.

Glad I found this post!

Karl

Karl, that is great! I'm sure enjoying the experience. There are Tournaments! In BKK mostly but maybe we can organize one in Chiang Mai.

Karl, we'll be more than happy to have you join us! Does your wife fence as well? I'd like to see more women getting involved with the sport. They have a very different perspective on how to approach the bout. I've been trying to get Mrs.FolkGuitar to play but she says she wants to see other women there first. Right now there are two women who fence regularly with the club, but we sure could be happy with more...

... And not only more women. How about new people who've never fenced before? Where are all you guys who've been looking for an interesting way to get back into shape. Aerobic, strength training, flexibility, and one-on-one combat (without the pain,) all mixed together in a fun sport. Give it a try and see for yourself. We even have chairs available for those to weak to stand and watch... :)

Glad I found this post!

Karl

Karl, we'll be more than happy to have you join us! Does your wife fence as well? I'd like to see more women getting involved with the sport. They have a very different perspective on how to approach the bout. I've been trying to get Mrs.FolkGuitar to play but she says she wants to see other women there first. Right now there are two women who fence regularly with the club, but we sure could be happy with more...

... And not only more women. How about new people who've never fenced before? Where are all you guys who've been looking for an interesting way to get back into shape. Aerobic, strength training, flexibility, and one-on-one combat (without the pain,) all mixed together in a fun sport. Give it a try and see for yourself. We even have chairs available for those to weak to stand and watch... smile.png

My wife doesn't fence unfortunately, but she has a background in kung <deleted> (2nd degree black belt) and is looking to get into Muay Thai whilst we're over there.

I agree completely with fencing being an interesting way to get into shape. Not only is it anaerobic exercise (i.e. same as high intensity interval training) which research indicates is one of the fastest ways to burn fat, it's also excellent for your general balance and flexibility. The strategy component is a major part as well, meaning you're exercising your mind at the same time as your body!

What weapon/s do you mainly fence in Chiang Mai? I've always trained & competed as a foilist, but have done a little epee and sabre on the side as well from time to time and would be happy to fence either of those as well if necessary.

Right now, primarily epée and foil, although I do have a sabre in my bag if someone wants to play. Foil is my first weapon, sabre my second. I love the finesse that foil allows, but epée is fun too. I enjoy sabre, but fence it more like a foil with edges, again seeking the finesse of the weapon. The club will have a nice balance of foilists, epée players and sabre fencers when you arrive. The club's Coach seems to prefer epée, and handles the weapon very well, and there is an Italian fellow in the club who makes me feel as if I'm just standing there being a target for him when we fence epée together. I need to learn more about this weapon, and look forward to learning it.

The strategy component is a major part as well, meaning you're exercising your mind at the same time as your body!

That's the part I find so fascinating! It's not a 'hammer fight!' It's a fast-pace moving chess game. It's a thinking game that includes an intense physical aspect.

And for any who are reading this, remember, we met tomorrow (Saturday) at 1pm, inside the courtyard under the 'Chiangmai ChinaTown' sign, just at the start of the frontage road headed east on the Superhighway, just past Wat Ched Yot. (There is a red & white painted truck tire standing up in front of the parking lot.) If you drive under that red sign, go 20meters in, the fencing salle is on the left. Visitors welcome.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Fencers, the video highlights of the Mixed Team Foil competition Saturday is up and running on the

Chiang Mai Fencing Club's Facebook website; https://www.facebook.com/ChiangmaiFencing

Sorry about the poor quality of the video. It was my first attempt at videography, and using a hand-held cell phone to do it. But I think the idea gets across!

Final score: 41-45

Thanks to all the team members who competed. It was a very close match and everyone fought well!

• 5 months later...

Ok, I'm finally in town - will the club be open on Saturday? I might drop by if so - didn't bring any of my gear though, so I'm hoping the club has something I could use or hire for the first few times?

Ok, I'm finally in town - will the club be open on Saturday? I might drop by if so - didn't bring any of my gear though, so I'm hoping the club has something I could use or hire for the first few times?

Yes, we are fencing this Saturday, and will be happy to have you join us. We have plenty of club equipment for you to use until you decide to get your own. Jackets and plastrons (assuming you are not tooo large...) masks, gloves, and weapons, both left and right handed. Plenty of body cords for foil and epee. Bring your own shoes, towel, water, and perhaps a change of shirt for afterwards. As a fencer you know what you need to wear.

We begin around 1:00pm in the Chiang Mai Fencing Club's own salle, located inside the "Chiang Mai Chinatown" compound, right where the Frontage Road splits off from the Superhighway, about 500m past Wat Ched Yot (if coming along the Superhighway from the Rincom Intersection/Maya Shopping Mall area.) Right were the Frontage Rd splits there is a white gravel parking area on the left side, and a large Red and White truck tire at the roadside. Just behind that, at the back of the parking area there is a driveway underneath a red sign saying 'Chiang Mai Chinatown.' The fencing salle is about 30m down on the left side. Big glass window in front and the door will be open!

By the way... EVERYONE is welcome to visit. You can just watch or you can play. Up to you. We can show you how to play if you don't already know,

and previous skill or ability is NOT required. Young, old, male, female... Thai or foreigner... Club members right now range in age from 12 to 67, we speak Thai, English, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, ....

ab8605.jpg

0a96fe.jpg