Tiger Balm fact or fiction

scubascuba3

Thais seem to use this for everything, headaches, pains, strains, other things. It almost reminds me of hundreds of years ago when they thought leaches cured lots of things.

What is tiger balm scientifically proven to treat successfully?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have a headache, rub some on your eyelids.

That won't get rid of the headache par se, but the eyelids will certainly take your mind off it....................thumbsup.gif

On a more serious note, rubbing tiger balm into the temples really does work for headaches.

• Like 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Balm#Composition

Yeah, those ingredients will sooth agitated skin and like. No effect against bacteria/viruses.

I prefer boxing oil, tiger palm needs to be mixed with finger before it breaks down to paste.

Menthol is antibacterial: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1140516/

and antiviral (as well as anti-fungal): http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/biology/issues/biy-12-36-3/biy-36-3-1-0912-30.pdf

All I know is at the first evidence of a mosquito bite, I rub it on the spot and any itching is gone forever. I am a believer.

Not joking or taking a pi$$, but next time you get bitten, take a pen and color it in, the bite is gone in minutes.

Must be some chemical in the ink

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Balm#Composition

Yeah, those ingredients will sooth agitated skin and like. No effect against bacteria/viruses.

I prefer boxing oil, tiger palm needs to be mixed with finger before it breaks down to paste.

Menthol is antibacterial: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1140516/

and antiviral (as well as anti-fungal): http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/biology/issues/biy-12-36-3/biy-36-3-1-0912-30.pdf

Quite interesting, thanks. I won't be ingesting or spiking tiger palm the next time I get a bug, though. I highly doubt topical application will result in menthol in the bloodstream.

But yeah, looks like I stand corrected. It'll sting like a b***h if put on a festering wound but might help. Or you could go to the pharmacy and get a real antibiotic.

WARNING:

First I will say that Tiger Balm does work. I use it for a sore back and am pleased with the result.

The warning.

A few years ago, while in Bangkok, my back was acting up, so I went to a pharmacy and bought some Tiger Balm adhesive patches to put on my sore back.

They worked well.

Here' the problem.

When I returned to the U.S.A., at San Francisco International Airport, Customs inspected my bags and found the Tiger Balm.

They threw a fit.

They detained me for over an hour!

They informed me that Tiger Balm from Asia was made with actual Tiger parts, and tigers are an endangered species.

It was a serious violation of the law for me to attempt to "smuggle" any into the U.S.

They treated me like a criminal and all but handcuffed and arrested me.

After telling them several times that I had been purchasing U.S. made Tiger Balm in California for years and did not know Asian Tiger Balm was any different, they finally took the Tiger Balm and released me.

They informed me that the incident had been entered into their data base and that I would be scrutinized closely when entering the U.S. in the future.

Funny thing is, I've entered the U.S. several times since and my bags have not even been looked at!

My pain in the back, became a pain in the butt!

Anyway, I like Tiger Balm, but thought travelers should know of my experience traveling with it!

I use it on insect bites, and on an old high school football injury, where the cartilage was removed from my knee and now the bone rubbing on bone is very painful. My wife rubs tiger balm on it, give it a little time to work into the knee and walking is again pain free.

Needless to say I am a believer in Tiger Balm.

Cheers

• Like 1

It's never been as good since they banned the opium content.

BTW leaches are still used in some hospitals as a treatment.

I rememeber when you could get it in two colours.

These days the mrs buys Golden Cup.

Still comes in two colors. I keep both (not sure why) at all times. Golden Cup is good also and used it when in Korea because Tiger Balm was hard to find.

Let's see.

We rubbed horse liniment on horses.

And Corona Udder Butter cow liniment on cow teats.

We even had Bag Balm for milk cow teats and the milker's hands.

But we never did figure out what to put on tigers.

Now I know.  Posted Image

As an endurance road/triathlete bike rider I always smear a big glob of Bag Balm onto my parts that come into contact with the bike seat. Been using it for years and none better - cheap, plentiful and works great.

• Like 1

On the side it says "For relief of muscular aches and pains, sprains, stuffy nose, flatulence, insect bites and itchiness.

Now, where are you meant to put it for flatulence?.. Not that I have it, just wondered

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My wife rubs some on my belly when I have a stomach ache. Stops the pain almost instantly.

Yes, bizarre, isn't it? I couldn't see why this would work, what with my superior science education and all, but the missus forced me to try it, and it worked the first time and every time since.

• Like 1

Tiger Balm is the brand leader and is made in Singapore, and is known all over the world.

However, there is a Thai Balm, by Golden Cup,which is every bit as good or better, but less well known, which I import into Europe. The reason for Tiger Balm having two colours, is mainly that the darker version stains clothes and bed linen that it comes into contact with, whereas the lighter white version does not, and is slightly milder in action.

Thai Balm / Tiger Balm is used for bruises, swellings, strains, sprains, insect bites, and can be used as a nasal decongestant by applying a couple of dabs at the base of the nostrils, which also acts to keep a driver awake if tired, though obviously it would be safer to stop and have a rest!