looking for portable oxygen generator ?

andreandre

Not really sure if this is the correct description, but basically what i was told was for a guy with really bad resperatory illness...who needs such a device to enable him to get around and about whilst having the extra oxygen supply he needs.

The description was ;something that is carried in an over the shoulder bag that is battery powered and produces a supply of oxygen for the guy.

Hopefully this is correct and if anyone knows of such a device or the correct description and where to buy one, if at all,any info would be gratefully accepted.wai2.gif

Yes there is such a beast but it is phenominally expensive. An eample is the Airsep Freestyle. Costs about $3000 in the states with batteries for about 4 hours.

If you need one give me a pm and I will check my bills for the dealer in Thailand but I do not recomend it as maintenance is high and tthe cost here is about 2 or three times that.

A small lightweight oxygen tank with a special type of conserving regulator is general a cheaper solution. The tanks cost about 6000baht each and the regulator about 20000baht. Refils cost about 60 baht. A refill gives about 8 hours. It is a bit hard to find somewherre to refill them so it depends where the person lives.

As I use both of these if he has any problem give me a PM and I will give more detail about what I use and where I got the solutions.

I notice you are in Chiangmai. There is a place willing to refill the bottles I suggest near the railway station.

Edited by harrry

I have one for use at home. It has 50 feet of tubing. I paid 35,000 baht for it. It is capable of producing up to 8 liters a minute. They had one for 30,000 baht but it was only capable for up to 5 liters a minute. On wheels but needs plugin in. good for at home. I am OK during the day but at night I have to have another 6 liters a minute. It hooks up to my cpap machine or I can put on an attachment to go into my nostrils and also it has a mask to use for a nebulizer..

I got mine across the street from the Saraphat hospital and west a couple hundred feet. They have a pharmacy there with all kinds of wheel chairs and walkers. You might have to ask them. They do not stock many.

As for portable check the internet there was a lot of them on there when I checked it. Or that pharmacy might have one. Take some one who speaks Thai if you can. I got through to them but it was not easy.m Maybe they have some one there now with better English.

The problem being shipping and duty plus service if needed.

So far I have had to take mine back twice once the fellow there fixed it for 1,500 baht and the next time they had to ship it to Bangkok cost all in they doing the shipping and all was 10,000 baht I have had it for five years now and am very satisfied with it.

Thanks for your input from the two of you...I haven't spoken to the guy since but have googled and found as suggested ..

2nd hand ones are in his price range so will look at E bay and others for him...Will also mention the oxygen tank set up..

Thanks againthumbsup.gif

Edited by andreandre

Thanks for your input from the two of you...I haven't spoken to the guy since but have googled and found as suggested ..

2nd hand ones are in his price range so will look at E bay and others for him...

Thanks againthumbsup.gif

I do not recomend a second hand one. The batteries are very very expensive and have a very short working life.

Service on a portable airsep freestyle cost me 60000 baht when it failed (and because of their small size their life is not as long as a full sized one. This did not include new batteries for the expansion belt which is needed if you need more than half an hours life.

2nd hand ones are in his price range so will look at E bay and others for him...

Thanks againthumbsup.gif

I do not recomend a second hand one. The batteries are very very expensive and have a very short working life.

Service on a portable airsep freestyle cost me 60000 baht when it failed (and because of their small size their life is not as long as a full sized one. This did not include new batteries for the expansion belt which is needed if you need more than half an hours life.

Yes thanks..on that advice. i'll talk to him about the tank set up.

Roughly what are the dimensions and weight of the tank/regulator please?

Also is that price for the reg 20 thousand baht , not 2 thousand baht? Just so i can relay the correct info to him...Thanks

You can get a regulator very cheap but it allows continuous flow of oxygen and hence a small portable tank will last an hour. My regulator delivers the oxygen in pulses to coincide with breathing so it is all used and not just going into the air. The same tank can last up to 10 hours. Similarly if you use it on the big home tanks a big tank that will last 10 hours will last 5 or 6 days.

There is a dealer in Bangkok so PM me if you need more details.

My wife has confirmed with me that the tank and oxygen regulator cost round 24000. If needed I will fish out the bills and check.

I did buy a second lightweight tank locally and think that was round 8000.

The type of fitting used here is not the same as the type used in the USA.

I do think it is the best way to go. It also gives a backup for home use if he is using a large concentrator there which is a good solution. (Home concentrators are much cheaper and last longer than the very expensive portable one.)

You can use it with the heavy iron tanks they use here which are very cheap...but too heavy to carry round.

give me a pm and I will let you know my phone number and I can tell you the pros and cons I have found.

Edited by harrry

I have a portable oxygen generator which can be used with batteries and or cigarette lighter connector in the car. I bought it from China for my late mother, We used it only once when we had to bring her via car from Pattaya centre to Sriracha Pyathai hospital. Did the job and we never used it again after. PM me if you are interested. I have pictures I can send you, am busy trying to locate them.

Edited by Dario

I have a portable oxygen generator which can be used with batteries and or cigarette lighter connector in the car. I bought it from China for my late mother, We used it only once when we had to bring her via car from Pattaya centre to Sriracha Pyathai hospital. Did the job and we never used it again after. PM me if you are interested. I have pictures I can send you, am busy trying to locate them.

Would be good if the OP gets in touch with you. Concentrators are quite useful. I like mine which I used for a few flights which I could not have done otherwise. In a car they are OK as they can run off the car battery too. Importing them would be a pain unless you bring one with you. Service and replacement batteries is the main problem as the Lithium Ion battery packs in mine are expensive and do not have a long life.

Any purchase of a portable one here really has to be on the basis that it is a use it till it breaks then throw it. Most of my comments do not apply to the fixed one.

If he does not buy it pm me on what you would want for it as my freestyle is looking as if it needs servicing again. Tanks are fine but they do need refilling.

It came with a black shoulder bag. Here's a picture.

attachicon.gifO2 $421 IMG_0005a.jpg

Checking on the web for the specs for this I do not think it would be suitable to provide walking mobility for more than a very short time. I think the tanks are a better solution.

Probably. I bought it for my late mum in case of an emergency. It once saved her life. There was absolutely no time to wait for an ambulance. I had a red and blue emergency light I put on my roof and the police let me pass at a red traffic light without any problem. Strange when I think back at this today...

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

Checking on the web for the specs for this I do not think it would be suitable to provide walking mobility for more than a very short time. I think the tanks are a better solution.

Probably. I bought it for my late mum in case of an emergency. It once saved her life. There was absolutely no time to wait for an ambulance. I had a red and blue emergency light I put on my roof and the police let me pass at a red traffic light without any problem. Strange when I think back at this today...

Really appreciate the help from you guys..I hardly know this guy in need only got to talk with him in passing..he stays in his room and anytime i've seen him hes puffing and panting just to walk around the parking area here, very limited in where he can go

Apparently he has a large device in his room and a couple of days ago after offering to help him in any possible way i could, he mentioned this need for a portable system so he could go into the city and have a bit of freedom.....hence this thread.

Be great if I/we can help him out in any way at all....will get back to you tomorrow after i talk with him again,

EDIT...he is a small guy and obviously not a lot of strength left so the lighter the better i would think.

Edited by andreandre

Probably. I bought it for my late mum in case of an emergency. It once saved her life.

Glad to hear it. I am mostly talking about the fact that it seems to only have sufficient battery life for a short period. It also has a fairly low oxygen output at 28% which though very useful is probably not enough for exertion. Sitting in a car with it on battery power is a different story as exertion is lower or at least less varied and battery life is not then a problem.

I was not trying to say it was no good, just that as the OPs friend is looking at it for increased mobility with it on his back I do not think it will be enough.

The perspective I am comming from is as a person with advanced copd who has needed oxygen for several years though the need has increased of course with time. I have used Oxygen for flying. For driving and I am now on almost constant oxygen though sometimes with a low flow rate. I use at different times for their features a portable Freestyle concentrator, an imported Airsep continuous flow concentrator, a locally bought chinese continuous flow concentrator and O2 tanks both portable and fixed.

I think I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on what may work and really know that effective use of the right solutions can maintain a good lifestile for many years. I hope the OPs friend can do so too.

I presume of course that the OP is getting treament from a doctor as this is important too.

It is also important that too high a flow rate is not used if he has COPD.

Edited by harrry

Probably. I bought it for my late mum in case of an emergency. It once saved her life.

Glad to hear it. I am mostly talking about the fact that it seems to only have sufficient battery life for a short period. It also has a fairly low oxygen output at 28% which though very useful is probably not enough for exertion. Sitting in a car with it on battery power is a different story as exertion is lower or at least less varied and battery life is not then a problem.

I was not trying to say it was no good, just that as the OPs friend is looking at it for increased mobility with it on his back I do not think it will be enough.

The perspective I am comming from is as a person with advanced copd who has needed oxygen for several years though the need has increased of course with time. I have used Oxygen for flying. For driving and I am now on almost constant oxygen though sometimes with a low flow rate. I use at different times for their features a portable Freestyle concentrator, an imported Airsep continuous flow concentrator, a locally bought chinese continuous flow concentrator and O2 tanks both portable and fixed.

I think I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on what may work and really know that effective use of the right solutions can maintain a good lifestile for many years. I hope the OPs friend can do so too.

Sure Harry. In fact I agreed with you without mentioning it. My mother was at that time (end of 2009) 87 years, so buying that unit was not for her to move around, but in case of an emergency. I'm glad I had bought it. We thought at that time that she wouldn't make it to her cardiologist in Sriracha, but she did. She then lived for another 2½ years until her 90th birthday.

Edited by Dario

All these solutions are a bit pricy. To start with why not buy one of the standard oxygen cylynders with an ordinary regulator from a pharmacy or from the oxygen provider on the road that runs past the station 100 metres on the right before the superhighway.

With the help of a friend to carry it he could then take a taxi into town and back he would have a couple of hours.

Try this occasionally and see if it would be worth investing in a better solution.

All these solutions are a bit pricy. To start with why not buy one of the standard oxygen cylynders with an ordinary regulator from a pharmacy or from the oxygen provider on the road that runs past the station 100 metres on the right before the superhighway.

With the help of a friend to carry it he could then take a taxi into town and back he would have a couple of hours.

Try this occasionally and see if it would be worth investing in a better solution.

Caught up with the guy today...since i talked with him, something has come about from his home country and they are now going to help him out at last.

Lucky for him as he is obviously not very financial...

Thanks for the input ..thumbsup.gif

Caught up with the guy today...since i talked with him, something has come about from his home country and they are now going to help him out at last.

Lucky for him as he is obviously not very financial...

Thanks for the input ..thumbsup.gif

That's fine. Glad to help if I can with this. I like people to know there are options to being locked in the room. If anyone needs any info I can give they should feel free to PM me.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I would like the help of Dario as i wonder if you still have your POC available. I need to get one as i am flying to the UK December, I don't need full time just as an assurance. Is it a problem to take on aircraft?

Hi Michael,

I still have the device. It is definitely not a problem to take it on the aircraft. You can take it as hand luggage in the cabin or put it in a suitcase and check it in.

I would like the help of Dario as i wonder if you still have your POC available. I need to get one as i am flying to the UK December, I don't need full time just as an assurance. Is it a problem to take on aircraft?

Hi Michael,

I still have the device. It is definitely not a problem to take it on the aircraft. You can take it as hand luggage in the cabin or put it in a suitcase and check it in.

To carry an oxygen concentrator of any kind on an aircraft it must be on an approved list. It is also necescary to have a prescription from the doctor stating the amount of oxygen required and that the user is capable of using and responding to any alarms of the unit. (US airlines have slightly less restrictive requirements.

Many airlines will not allow their use though some of them will provide oxygen at a price (it is not cheap if you need a lot).

It is important that your read and comply with the requirements which are given on many airlines website or you can end up standing at the airport with a lost ticket.

If you let me know which airline I can tell you what I know of their requirements.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Hi Michael,

To carry an oxygen concentrator of any kind on an aircraft it must be on an approved list. It is also necescary to have a prescription from the doctor stating the amount of oxygen required and that the user is capable of using and responding to any alarms of the unit. (US airlines have slightly less restrictive requirements.

Many airlines will not allow their use though some of them will provide oxygen at a price (it is not cheap if you need a lot).

It is important that your read and comply with the requirements which are given on many airlines website or you can end up standing at the airport with a lost ticket.

If you let me know which airline I can tell you what I know of their requirements.

Hi Harry, thank you for the info most helpful, I will be flying with Qatar airways. Michael

http://www.qatarairways.com/iwov-resources/temp-docs/MEDIF.pdf

http://support.qatarairways.com/entries/21406257-May-I-carry-an-electronic-respiratory-device-onboard-

So they do allow it but they almost certainly need the Medif form. I would suggest emailing them and asking for the disability support and checking.

A medif generally has to be done in just a few days before travelling. Check out your doctor because many here will not sign them.'

It is a very long flight so your batteries will not last for the trip. Check if they will last long enough remembering you need about 1 litre to 2 litres more than you need on the ground at cabin pressures.

You will not be charged baggage for the concentrator as it is medical equpment. If you have any mobility problem walking distances I strongly suggest getting wheelchair assistance. THis gets you through the queue quickly and you can wait in a special lounge for your flight. THis may be useful if there is a transfer.

This only applies to flights by Quatar. If it is codeshared flight operated by another airline their rules apply.

I have an AirSep5 Oxygen Concentrator for sale--cheap. A friend left C Mai and asked me to sell things off for him. He since died in a car accident in Ney York. Google that unit and see the specs. The price is only 9,000 baht.

Eric

Edited by onthedarkside
eemail removed as per forum rules

• 10 months later...

you can rent an standing O2 concentrator with 90%+ O2 5L/min of I think Chinese brand near chulalongakorn hospital pharmacies for 3000/BHT month, 5000 deposit=8000BHT. I don't know if the 27% O2 concentrators are that effective or if the pulse O2s provide less medical benefit. can you hook up a pulse O2 to a cpap machine?

Is there a cheaper rental like at a hospital? I'm terribly crippled by hypoxia and lung disease and am looking to buy or rent a concentrator.

you can rent an standing O2 concentrator with 90%+ O2 5L/min of I think Chinese brand near chulalongakorn hospital pharmacies for 3000/BHT month, 5000 deposit=8000BHT. I don't know if the 27% O2 concentrators are that effective or if the pulse O2s provide less medical benefit. can you hook up a pulse O2 to a cpap machine?

Is there a cheaper rental like at a hospital? I'm terribly crippled by hypoxia and lung disease and am looking to buy or rent a concentrator.

I bought a Chinese brand concentrator that can produce 10 liters a minute. I hook it up to my c pap machine with an adaptor for the hose on the c pap machine. I bought it 6 years ago for 35,000 baht and have spent 20,000 baht on repairs since then. I took it in to them and they sent it to Bangkok for the repair. 10,000 baht two times.

I got it at a pharmacy by I believe it is called Suandok Hospital across the street from the drive way and down I believe it is two pharmacies. Probably cost more now. I got mine because I had an in hospital sleeping test that said I needed 7 liters of oxygen a minute at night. During the day I am fine test also showed that I had Rapid Leg movement. Which also was a hindrance to getting in to a deep sleep. It has an adapter in a 50mfoot hose that you can use for in your nose during the day if that is a problem. Also a hook up for a nebulizer which is supposed to be better than a puffer. I don't know any thing about that just that it can be done.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I have COPD since my FEV1 is 68% and I can't exhale. The inhalers are really expensive here also like ventoline and budesonide which don't help me exhale. I once took some really toxic strong antibiotics which damaged my hearing and then I could exhale better, it felt like I had bronchitis so I kind of wonder about that. But asthma is an inflammatory process, and it is considered I think it seems quackery to call it an infection. I have PLMD too which makes sleep difficult but it's not a good idea to treat it; you can PM me for more info.

Is there a cheap O2 concentrator rental in Myannamar, Laos, Cambodia? I can't afford that price so I'm looking for a rental of a 5L machine or 3L machine which is 2500BHT in Pattaya?

I'm afraid I have COPD since my FEV1 is 68% and I can't exhale. The inhalers are really expensive here also like ventoline and budesonide which don't help me exhale. I once took some really toxic strong antibiotics which damaged my hearing and then I could exhale better, it felt like I had bronchitis so I kind of wonder about that. But asthma is an inflammatory process, and it is considered I think it seems quackery to call it an infection. I have PLMD too which makes sleep difficult but it's not a good idea to treat it; you can PM me for more info.

Is there a cheap O2 concentrator rental in Myannamar, Laos, Cambodia? I can't afford that price so I'm looking for a rental of a 5L machine or 3L machine which is 2500BHT in Pattaya?

Sorry that is all the information I have. Maybe if you stopped in to the shop and talked to them. Best take a Thai speaker with you.

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys......I have just Googled about Portable Oxygen Concetraters and got this page.....Has helped me a lot and starting to steer me in the right direction.....I have COPD and have bought a machine for home plus a large bottle of oxygen for home when there is a power failure....have also bought a small bottle for the car....I have to do a couple of plane trips early 2018 and am thinking of buying a portable one for these....anyone have any updates on these...Many thanks in advance