Bandwidth and latency: Watching videos on demand from a UK server

Morakot

I have a TOT internet package and can download TV programmes on BBC iPlayer (via unbock.us DNS configurations). Watching a TV programme on demand or even livestream is mostly not possible due to excessive buffering.

What bandwidth minimum and latency maximum would ensure a reasonably smooth experience of watching iPlayer programmes directly (e.g. on demand) in Bangkok?

post-155923-0-59126800-1386488836_thumb.

For iPlayer (for me) around 1-1.5 Mbps for SD and 3.5Mbps for HD, is fine.

BBC have a test to determine what they think your speed is, and what they think the connection can support.

Test here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics#results

Have not had any latency problems with normal around 300-400msec.

Also do not think result is locally cached (probably not a popular test), but cannot be sure as latency is not shown.

• Like 1

Thanks Thaid! Very useful; if one needs at least 1-1.5 Mbps that would explain my difficulty. My reading of this test against two random UK servers fluctuated between 0.7-1.8 Mbps. I am still puzzled though about how the speed tests on the Maidenstone and Milton Keynes (UK) servers are so drastically low in contrast to the Bangkok and Frankfurt ones. I'll run the BBC test in a moment when I finished a download. See what transpires there.

MJCM thanks for the recommendation, but I am running a small XBMC box --which is Linux-based-- hooked up to my TV. As far I understand this service has its own interface and it does not run on Linux.

Edited by Morakot

Got it sorted, I think. The BBC diagnostics page was quite useful.

The setting on my (XBMC) player chooses the highest stream by default. I reduced it to 800 kbps and VoD works now with my current provider.

Thanks everyone! smile.png

post-155923-0-06472200-1386512157_thumb.

Edited by Morakot