Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-06-10/tippett-to-miss-next-two

I do honestly feel the Swans are the only team that can beat the Power at the moment and this is a minor setback. Money Bags is really going to need to step up in his place as is Butterfingers.

Will be interesting to see if Bam Bam O'Keefe gets a call up...

I doubt there would be too many times that a team on top of the ladder by

2 games and a healthy percentage would be going into a game as big underdogs

but they are.

Again, Port get a lucky break with Tippett being out. I think Port are a bit small

down back so Tippetts exclusion is a big help to them.

I would also back Hawthorn and Freo to beat them (at home).

If Port get the choccies though, it would turn the season on it's head.

I wish this game was on A/N.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay in posting the results. Had a few beers yesterday for my birthday.

This week winner is Xangsamhua with the perfect score 9/9. You are the first to score the 9/9 in our comp. You were only 5 off the margin. Congratulations on your tipping.

attachicon.gifAFL results rd 12.jpeg

First off, happy returns for the birthday ripstanley.

Hope you had a good day.

Congrats to Xangsamhua for the clean sweep and also

nearly picking the margin. What a great result.

A good week of footy to look forward to gangsters.

Edit: ripstanley, 2 games this Sunday on AN with the Ess/Melb

game being in the India region.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-06-10/tippett-to-miss-next-two

I do honestly feel the Swans are the only team that can beat the Power at the moment and this is a minor setback. Money Bags is really going to need to step up in his place as is Butterfingers.

Will be interesting to see if Bam Bam O'Keefe gets a call up...

I doubt there would be too many times that a team on top of the ladder by

2 games and a healthy percentage would be going into a game as big underdogs

but they are.

Again, Port get a lucky break with Tippett being out. I think Port are a bit small

down back so Tippetts exclusion is a big help to them.

I would also back Hawthorn and Freo to beat them (at home).

If Port get the choccies though, it would turn the season on it's head.

I wish this game was on A/N.

This is a big test for Port and for Sydney and unfortunately for Port they are not playing at home. Day game in Sydney, which advantages Sydney. Swans were not giving 100% against the GC but they will against Port. I expect Sydney to shut down Wingard and Schulz and restrict their scoring. Wingard is their danger man with his explosive bursts and he lifts the entire Port team with his magic. Sydney also has a better midfield than Port, but the Port boys are super fit this year..

Tippett is a big loss for this game. The Swannies have their forward set up around Buddy and Cinderella at the moment so they will not welcome the change. Good news though is they still have plenty of replacement forward power in the current team who can step up. Also in the reserves they have Rohan, Tim Membrey. Nankervis, Naismith and of course Pyke.

I'd expect Pyke to slot in for Cinderella and Butterfingers given a chance to prove himself a bit more.

I'd like to see Jetta take some more runs and go for goal himself also.

@ GS. Not sure if we will see ROK back in the firsts again. Even when he has had the numbers in the reserves he isn't getting much press. You have Lloyd on the fringe (sub last week) who looks a winner, and B.Jack and Mitchell also pressing for inclusion.

Sorry for the delay in posting the results. Had a few beers yesterday for my birthday.

This week winner is Xangsamhua with the perfect score 9/9. You are the first to score the 9/9 in our comp. You were only 5 off the margin. Congratulations on your tipping.

First off, happy returns for the birthday ripstanley.

Hope you had a good day.

Congrats to Xangsamhua for the clean sweep and also

nearly picking the margin. What a great result.

A good week of footy to look forward to gangsters.

Edit: ripstanley, 2 games this Sunday on AN with the Ess/Melb

game being in the India region.

Happy birthday Rip...and congrats to xangsamhua on his 9/9!

• Like 2

Now lads, some very interesting games this coming week. I believe KhunWill27 #1 Tipster will be feeling immense pressure this week.

I have highlighted the games that IMO could go either way. Richmond V Freo and Carlton V Hawks are decent roughies also.

Carlton v Hawks

Richmond v Freo

Swans v Port

Weagles V Gold Coast

Brissie v GWS

Adelaide v North

Geelong v St Kilda

Collingwood V Western Bulldogs

Essendon V Melbourne

• Like 2

Footy Classified last night, Gary Lyon & Matthew Lloyd both agree that high profile players ( read bums on seats, AFL $$$ ) are less likely to be cited by the MRP. 3 in 3 weeks, Goodes, Ablett and Franklin - all insufficient force ( still illegal ) let offs. Ballantyne straight to tribunal, not so loved.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I hope it's not.

What do you guys think?

Now lads, some very interesting games this coming week. I believe KhunWill27 #1 Tipster will be feeling immense pressure this week.

I have highlighted the games that IMO could go either way. Richmond V Freo and Carlton V Hawks are decent roughies also.

Carlton v Hawks

Richmond v Freo

Swans v Port

Weagles V Gold Coast

Brissie v GWS

Adelaide v North

Geelong v St Kilda

Collingwood V Western Bulldogs

Essendon V Melbourne

At this stage, I like Swans, WCE (don't ask me why, we've lost 7 out of our last 8),

Brissie, Ade and Essendon. But I wouldn't be surprised if they all lost eitherw00t.gif

Heard this morning that McPharlan in doubt for the Dockers.

With Johnson already out, they wouldn't want to lose Ballantyne as well.

I also think that the Hawks are due for a flat one and Carlton were unlucky

last week.

Will wait for the team lineups and then get out the dartboardbiggrin.png

• Like 2

Footy Classified last night, Gary Lyon & Matthew Lloyd both agree that high profile players ( read bums on seats, AFL $$$ ) are less likely to be cited by the MRP. 3 in 3 weeks, Goodes, Ablett and Franklin - all insufficient force ( still illegal ) let offs. Ballantyne straight to tribunal, not so loved.

What do you guys think?

Ballantyne cleared.

I think the AFL/Tribunal has definitely showed some positive bias in the past. Form a Sydney POV over the years. I can remember times both Locket and Barry Hall were cleared to play when they should have been given a suspension. The Barry Hall one is well remembered by yourself KhunWill.

I think Franklin was okay, but Goodes should have got a week IMO. Ablett also could have copped a week. Other players probably would have. But, these players are in play for the AFL in other ways. Goodes is getting a lot of publicity the last couple of years outside the AFL sphere. Ablett, well he is in a class of his own and without him the GC would have struggled for any decent publicity or following.

So yes, these guys get preferential treatment, and really, is it a bad thing?

• Like 1

Can't shake me Bookman. Next week you will be my puppy.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Can't shake me Bookman. Next week you will be my puppy.biggrin.png

Woof!

• Like 2

Reading through the summaries..

A lot of the talk was giving Melbourne short shrift for the Collingwood game, describing it as boring and lackluster.

I saw that game totally different. To me the first half was totally absorbing. It was like the Paul Roos Swans teams of old. Building up average players into a good defensive team. Melbourne let itself down with wasted chances near goal and they have an issue with their lack of goal kicking options up forward...however...they were in a position to win the game for most of the match.

" Earlier, AFL legal counsel Jeff Gleeson QC argued that Ballantyne had an alternative, and that was to go straight at the ball. " facepalm.gif

What a stupid comment and by a QC as well.Why don't they get someone that knows something about the way the game is played,QC or not.

Ballantyne replied with: "I was trying to get to the ball. He (Jaensch) was between me and the ball." thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Guys

Is Malthouse monitoring our posts on here?

I think he just read my post No: 1726biggrin.png

Malthouse wants new umpire-player relationship

Malthouse said he had long advocated that the AFL move towards a rugby union-style

umpiring system, where the referees address players by their jumper numbers and not

by their names or nicknames.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-11/show-some-respect-mick

• Like 1

" Earlier, AFL legal counsel Jeff Gleeson QC argued that Ballantyne had an alternative, and that was to go straight at the ball. " facepalm.gif

What a stupid comment and by a QC as well.Why don't they get someone that knows something about the way the game is played,QC or not.

Ballantyne replied with: "I was trying to get to the ball. He (Jaensch) was between me and the ball." thumbsup.gif

Not sure I agree it was a stupid thing to say, the devil's in the details et al Ron19, that word "straight" stands out like a soi dogs <deleted>. It's a legal trap to goad Ballantyne into saying something that will imply that Ballantyne was guilty. You look at Ballantyne's reply - played with a straight bat - cut and dry that he was after the ball.

Ballantyne's legal rep is an SC which is now the same as a QC ;) So all is not lost in the legal profession Ron19 :P Lest we not forget the best of the QC's to ever win a premiership without ever stepping on the MCG or kicking a footy- Terry Forrest QC - one of the best in the business ;)

What do you guys think?

Ballantyne cleared.

I think the AFL/Tribunal has definitely showed some positive bias in the past. Form a Sydney POV over the years. I can remember times both Locket and Barry Hall were cleared to play when they should have been given a suspension. The Barry Hall one is well remembered by yourself KhunWill.

I think Franklin was okay, but Goodes should have got a week IMO. Ablett also could have copped a week. Other players probably would have. But, these players are in play for the AFL in other ways. Goodes is getting a lot of publicity the last couple of years outside the AFL sphere. Ablett, well he is in a class of his own and without him the GC would have struggled for any decent publicity or following.

So yes, these guys get preferential treatment, and really, is it a bad thing?

Yes ,I think it is because if there are rules in place they should be applied fairly to all and not applied to a selected few because they are perceived to be a drawcard and so the rules don't apply to them.It is as you know being talked about in this forum and no doubt being talked about on the wider scene.

• Like 1

I disagree with Malthouse I quite enjoy the banter and it adds an element not seen previously. Some of the fluorescent maggots are quite witty. Switching it to the same system as Rugby would be boring.

I don't mind a bit of the banter.

I remember years ago in a VFL match, a player said to the umpire

"why don't you blow your whistle" and the umpy replied "why don't you try and get a kick"biggrin.png

I don't like the umps using nicknames though. Pretty soon they might start calling Cyril delicioustongue.png

• Like 1

I disagree with Malthouse I quite enjoy the banter and it adds an element not seen previously. Some of the fluorescent maggots are quite witty. Switching it to the same system as Rugby would be boring.

I don't mind a bit of the banter.

I remember years ago in a VFL match, a player said to the umpire

"why don't you blow your whistle" and the umpy replied "why don't you try and get a kick"biggrin.png

I don't like the umps using nicknames though. Pretty soon they might start calling Cyril delicioustongue.png

Last name or number is more formal and less prone to familiarization. I think they go for name now so the players feel more connection with the umpires and maybe give them less grief. Mutual respect and all that

Once they start using nicknames it is over familiarity and sub consciously decisions can lean towards players who the umpire feels more of a connection with. In split second whistle blowing and decisions it is then natural an umpire can unintentionally bias a player they know more intimately. Once that happens small infractions are pardoned by the umpire for experienced players or ones that are known more personally

Look at Barry Hall when he was at Sydney. He loathed umpires and umpires loathed him. Someone had to take a hammer to his head before they would give Bazza a free kick. Clearly in that case the umpires were biased against him because they disliked each other.

Using nicknames would be okay, but only as long as the umpires are specifically coached to avoid familiarity bias. I think it is against human nature to be able to be totally impartial in such situations.

Sensationally put BookMan.

Hayden Ballantyne on at least 3 occasions on the weekend didn't receive blatant free kicks against

him.

That's what happens when there is a dislike of a player and like you said, in a nano second, the umpire

decides to play on.

See how many free kicks Ryan Crowley get on Boomer Harvey.

• Like 1

Magpies' Swan in underworld controversy

Collingwood footballer Dane Swan has risked the wrath of his club and the AFL by attending a dinner promoted and attended by underworld boss Mick Gatto.

Swan was the star attraction at the $200-a-head fundraiser that was held on Tuesday night, at a Coburg pizza restaurant owned by Gatto's brother, Fairfax media reports.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8858870

• Like 1

Collingwood footballer Dane Swan has risked the wrath of his club and the AFL by attending a dinner promoted and attended by underworld boss Mick Gatto.

Swan was the star attraction at the $200-a-head fundraiser that was held on Tuesday night, at a Coburg pizza restaurant owned by Gatto's brother, Fairfax media reports.

Eddie says it is okay...

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire said he’s not overly concerned star player Dane Swan was seen mixing with former underworld figure Mick Gatto at a fundraising dinner.

McGuire told Southern Cross Austereo it wasn’t surprising the Brownlow medallist knew some colourful identities given his working class upbringing.

Swan was the star attraction at a $200-a-head dinner attended by 50 people on Tuesday at Gatto Nero, a Coburg pizza restaurant majority-owned by Gatto’s brother John, Fairfax Media reports.

Have your say: Do you care if Swan was the star guest at an event attended by Gatto?

McGuire said Collingwood and the AFL will investigate.

“You go to the footy one day, you go to the races, go to the opera you’ll meet people from all walks of life,” McGuire told Triple M’s The Hot Breakfast today.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-not-too-concerned-about-dane-swan-hanging-out-with-mick-gatto-at-fundraising-event/story-fni5f22o-1226951458957

West Coast Eagles captain Darren Glass retires immediately

West Coast Eagles AFL News

Date June 12, 2014 - 12:05P.M

West Coast Eagles captain Darren Glass has retired, effective immediately, after a decorated 270-game career with the club.

Glass has battled hip and ankle injuries in 2014 and declared that he could no longer produce the high-quality defensive standard he is renowned for.

The Northam product joined West Coast in 1999 and made his debut the following year, eventually cementing his position at full-back as the Eagles went through a rebuilding phase.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/west-coast-eagles-captain-darren-glass-retires-immediately-20140612-zs573.html#ixzz34O84CETJ
Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Eddie says it is okay...

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire said he’s not overly concerned star player Dane Swan was seen mixing with former underworld figure Mick Gatto at a fundraising dinner.

McGuire told Southern Cross Austereo it wasn’t surprising the Brownlow medallist knew some colourful identities given his working class upbringing.

Swan was the star attraction at a $200-a-head dinner attended by 50 people on Tuesday at Gatto Nero, a Coburg pizza restaurant majority-owned by Gatto’s brother John, Fairfax Media reports.

Have your say: Do you care if Swan was the star guest at an event attended by Gatto?

McGuire said Collingwood and the AFL will investigate.

“You go to the footy one day, you go to the races, go to the opera you’ll meet people from all walks of life,” McGuire told Triple M’s The Hot Breakfast today.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-not-too-concerned-about-dane-swan-hanging-out-with-mick-gatto-at-fundraising-event/story-fni5f22o-1226951458957

$200 a head? Swanny's not commanding enough attention in the corporate world as he does in the fantasy league world :P

As for associations, who cares, despite being career criminals, they're still fans like the rest of us. If they were such a threat, lock 'em up! The thing that makes me laugh is the "blame game" going on between Pickering and Pert.

Wasn't it Dustin Martin (not Jake King) who caused the uproar over the OMCG association?

West Coast Eagles captain Darren Glass retires immediately

West Coast Eagles AFL News

Date June 12, 2014 - 12:05P.M

West Coast Eagles captain Darren Glass has retired, effective immediately, after a decorated 270-game career with the club.

Glass has battled hip and ankle injuries in 2014 and declared that he could no longer produce the high-quality defensive standard he is renowned for.

The Northam product joined West Coast in 1999 and made his debut the following year, eventually cementing his position at full-back as the Eagles went through a rebuilding phase.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/west-coast-eagles-captain-darren-glass-retires-immediately-20140612-zs573.html#ixzz34O84CETJ

Woah, thanks for that chooka.

I must admit after last weeks game I thought his time was up.

Hopefully Dean Cox follows him.

Glassy was a sensational full back for a decade. Arguably, after Scarlett

the best going around during the last 10 years.

• Like 1