Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Yes it's a bit of a gamble to have Franklin at the club for 10 years, but I'm betting that the Brains Trust at the Swans did their homework and left no stone unturned (as is evidenced by entertaining the notion of taking out insurance on the contract) before signing on.

I'm also betting that his salary is front end loaded i.e paid more in the first half of his contract.

Yeah, i'd hope they have done their homework and protected themselves.

As for restricting players contract lengths. I don't see how that would be possible. Any player should be entitled to get the best possible deal for himself, offering whatever security they can get.

As a player, I would already consider the salary cap a restraint of trade regarding my earnings, so having further restrictions...?

• Like 1

Yes it's a bit of a gamble to have Franklin at the club for 10 years, but I'm betting that the Brains Trust at the Swans did their homework and left no stone unturned (as is evidenced by entertaining the notion of taking out insurance on the contract) before signing on.

I'm also betting that his salary is front end loaded i.e paid more in the first half of his contract.

Yeah, i'd hope they have done their homework and protected themselves.

As for restricting players contract lengths. I don't see how that would be possible. Any player should be entitled to get the best possible deal for himself, offering whatever security they can get.

As a player, I would already consider the salary cap a restraint of trade regarding my earnings, so having further restrictions...?

I'll also add that at the back end of his contract should be subsidised by the "Veterans List" payment system http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/veteran-players

Although having said that, I'm not sure whether the back end of Buddy's contract will be covered... Would make for an interesting test case...

Agree with BM regarding the "restraint of trade" - would be interesting to see if that has ever been tested in a court of law...

• Like 1

hi guys, ardent Geelong fan, have been for years seeing I grew up with Polly Farmer as my postie, Fred Flanigan was my best mates dad but he was a 50's player. Will have to see what I need to do to pick my team and get into this, should be good.

• Like 1

hi guys, ardent Geelong fan, have been for years seeing I grew up with Polly Farmer as my postie, Fred Flanigan was my best mates dad but he was a 50's player. Will have to see what I need to do to pick my team and get into this, should be good.

Good to have u on board seajae..

I think you are talking about the dream team comp in your post. (PM chooka for details)

'

We also have the Tipping comp (PM ripstanley for details)

And if you want Sydney Swans propaganda (PM Bookman for details)

No just kidding, this is a fun friendly thread where everyone gets along.

If you are interested in the dreamteam / Fantasy league there is still a vacancy I deleted two bogus sides ie Justin Bieber and slipped in a makeshift sides to reserve spots for Thai Visa members. If not filled by the start I will open it up to celebrity teams.

As Bookman said, it is good to have you on board.

• Like 2

And if you want Sydney Swans propaganda (PM Bookman for details)

tongue.png Oh chooka!

How can you say such a thing after just last week purchasing the ‘Big Buddy Franklin Action Doll’ from me. I thought $49.95 was a bargain for this collectible. Hours of playtime fun!

For others interested, the Big Buddy Action Doll has some terrific features!

When the big fella looks thirsty open his mouth and pour in some COLA. Watch as Buddy kicks to Ken! Dress Big Buddy up in the Swans home gear OR away gear! Be cheeky and add your own team jersey to Buddy’s back.

Only $49.95 from BookMan Trading Co!

Nah my blowup Marcia doll is more appealing. biggrin.png

An interesting article by Shane Crawford in the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/former-hawthorn-champion-shane-crawford-believes-fremantle-can-go-one-better-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226849007739

Tipping Freo to win the GF and Sydney to finish 2nd.

He also tips North Melbourne to finish 4th but to be honest,

I don't think they're that good. More interesting tips are Collingwood

to finish 10th and Port to drop to 12th.

Glad he has tipped WCE to finish top 8. I am optimistic after their

early pre-season form.

• Like 1

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/former-hawthorn-champion-shane-crawford-believes-fremantle-can-go-one-better-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226849007739

early pre-season form.

We will be aiming for the wooden spoon, haven't won one for 14 yrs. Do they still have the priority pick and is tanking still allowed?

early pre-season form.

Not a bad summary.

Top 4 is okay for Sydney...still a heap of young and fringe players developing.

North's issue will be consistency and ability to win tight games. Be good to see Majak Daw settle down in the 1st team

I think Western bulldogs will also finish higher up the ladder.

GWS last? Not sure about that either.

• Like 1

early pre-season form.

We will be aiming for the wooden spoon, haven't won one for 14 yrs. Do they still have the priority pick and is tanking still allowed?

Will the Saints need to tank? laugh.png

• Like 2

early pre-season form.

Not a bad summary.

Top 4 is okay for Sydney...still a heap of young and fringe players developing.

North's issue will be consistency and ability to win tight games. Be good to see Majak Daw settle down in the 1st team

I think Western bulldogs will also finish higher up the ladder.

GWS last? Not sure about that either.

I don't think Collingwood will finish 10th. They're top 8 for me.

I think the Saints for the wooden spoon (sorry chooka).

I don't think the fairy tale of Majic Daw will eventuate, though it would be nice.

I think the media is in love with the story and he is getting pumped up too much.

Last year they built up the WEC/North game as the Nic Nati versus Majic Daw game.

Daw was subbed out and Nic Nat took a mark and kicked the winner after the game.

Not his fault he is getting built up of course, but even his coach came out pre-season

and said "Majic's best in unstoppable".

Just let him keep on learning the caper and fly under the radar methinks.

• Like 1

early pre-season form.

Will the Saints need to tank? laugh.png

cheesy.gif Probably not. I'll still be behind them and watch every game. Probably consume more beers tho.

• Like 1

I don't think the fairy tale of Majic Daw will eventuate, though it would be nice.

I think the media is in love with the story and he is getting pumped up too much.

Last year they built up the WEC/North game as the Nic Nati versus Majic Daw game.

Daw was subbed out and Nic Nat took a mark and kicked the winner after the game.

Not his fault he is getting built up of course, but even his coach came out pre-season

and said "Majic's best in unstoppable".

Just let him keep on learning the caper and fly under the radar methinks.

At times Daw just looks so comfortable and sure handed taking a mark.

Like you say, he needs to be away from the media glare. That and community pressures seem to distract him

Bookman, I actually did some promotional work with the swans in the 80's when I lived in Sydney(capper was in the team then, tight shorts and a cucumbercheesy.gif ). I was high up in the NSW volleyball association and we introduced beach volleyball to Sydney and the swans were involved with it at the Bondi launch, they gave me a swans bag and other goodies but I donated it to some little kid that was awestruck with them plus it didnt really go with my cats flag.

As for the pies, my second wife's whole famnily were pies supporters, when we kicked their arse I used to go there at night and string blue and white streamers through their front fence, really pissed them off no end and probably one reason the marriage didnt work out to good.whistling.gif

On a seperate note, I have been trying to do my fantasy team the Khuntale Cats but the program wont load so I will ahve to see if I can get around it somehow.

Bookman, I actually did some promotional work with the swans in the 80's when I lived in Sydney(capper was in the team then, tight shorts and a cucumbercheesy.gif ). I was high up in the NSW volleyball association and we introduced beach volleyball to Sydney and the swans were involved with it at the Bondi launch, they gave me a swans bag and other goodies but I donated it to some little kid that was awestruck with them plus it didnt really go with my cats flag.

As for the pies, my second wife's whole famnily were pies supporters, when we kicked their arse I used to go there at night and string blue and white streamers through their front fence, really pissed them off no end and probably one reason the marriage didnt work out to good.whistling.gif

On a seperate note, I have been trying to do my fantasy team the Khuntale Cats but the program wont load so I will ahve to see if I can get around it somehow.

Are you doing your fantasy team here?

https://fantasy.afl.com.au/landing/index.html#/landing

hey chooka, finally got it done, had to use a different browser, actually had $9,000 left over but buggered if I can work out how we are supposed to pich 4 emergencies, anyway how do we put the selected team in the TV club?

I just submitted my tips for round 1. We have 10 starters at this stage. I hope we get a few more.

Here are detailed steps of how to join posted by Bookman

For anyone, Steps to join the tipping group

1. Go here:http://tipping.afl.com.au/register.jsp

2. Enter your details for sign up

2.Next screen you are then given a choice of create tipping comp or join comp Click 'Join a Comp'

3.Enter Comp Name: Thailand Mob. It says Your Search Returned 1 Result. Click Thailand Mob

4. That takes you to the Thailand Mob Tipping page. Half way down click Join This Comp

5. Enter password thaivisa. All lower case. If you capitalise the T it takes you back to the tipping group leaderboard but does not enter you into the group.

6. Your name will then appear onscreen within the Leaderboard standings alongside the other names

Good luck to all. One tip is if you make changes to your tips,which you can before game starts, click on save changes

That's nice and early.

I just had a look. Am I doing something wrong or

can you not see the others tips?

** Edited. I guess it's logical not to see each others tips

now we've gone professionalbiggrin.png

Edited by Will27

I just submitted my tips for round 1. We have 10 starters at this stage. I hope we get a few more.

2.Next screen you are then given a choice of create tipping comp or join comp Click 'Join a Comp'

3.Enter Comp Name: Thailand Mob. It says Your Search Returned 1 Result. Click Thailand Mob

4. That takes you to the Thailand Mob Tipping page. Half way down click Join This Comp

5. Enter password thaivisa. All lower case. If you capitalise the T it takes you back to the tipping group leaderboard but does not enter you into the group.

6. Your name will then appear onscreen within the Leaderboard standings alongside the other names

Good luck to all. One tip is if you make changes to your tips,which you can before game starts, click on save changes

That's nice and early.

I don't think you can see them until the 1st game starts?

I couldn't find the 'rules' for that, but is the cutoff time for getting tips in the start of the first game of the round?

One more thing. For the first game, Collingwood V Freo, You can pick the margin for that game, but I can't pick the margin for any other game. Anyone know what that is about?

hey chooka, finally got it done, had to use a different browser, actually had $9,000 left over but buggered if I can work out how we are supposed to pich 4 emergencies, anyway how do we put the selected team in the TV club?

P.M me when you are online and I'll get you in

That's nice and early.

I don't think you can see them until the 1st game starts?

I couldn't find the 'rules' for that, but is the cutoff time for getting tips in the start of the first game of the round?

One more thing. For the first game, Collingwood V Freo, You can pick the margin for that game, but I can't pick the margin for any other game. Anyone know what that is about?

Here are some of the rules. They can be read online. After you sign in got to HELP and you will find them

2. An Entrant may make or change a tip for a given Match in a Round at any time prior to the scheduled starting time of that Match.

13. Entrants will have the opportunity, in respect of the first Match in each Round of the Season, to tip by selecting the team that the Entrant expects to win and also including the margin by which they expect that their selected team's score will beat the opponent team's score for the Margin Game. If the team the Entrant tips scores greater than or equal to the opposition score, their tip is considered successful. This also applies to Pick 5 and Gauntlet comps.

FAILURE TO TIP

14. If an Entrant:

a. does not submit a tip for a given Match in a Round, then the Entrant's tip for that Match will be deemed to be for the team determined, in the Promoter's sole discretion, to be the "away team"; or

b. does not submit a tip for Matches in an entire Round, the Entrant's tips for that Round will be deemed to be those of the teams determined, in the Promoter's sole discretion, to be the "away teams" up to a maximum of five correct tips for that Round; or

c. enters the Promotion after the commencement of the first Round of the Season, then the Entrant's tips for those Matches that have been completed will be deemed to be those of the teams determined to be the "away teams" to a maximum of five correct tips for each such Round.

SCORING

15. Subject to the rules relating to failure to tip in Clause 14, Entrants will be allocated one point for each correctly selected winning team for a Match.

16. In the event of a Match in a given Round being drawn, cancelled, abandoned, not completed or not played for any reason and the AFL does not officially declare a result within one (1) day of the original scheduled date of the Match, it is treated as a win for both teams competing in that Match.

• Like 2