How do I extend a Non Immigrant O-A Visa

Having applied for and been denied a Non O visa, because I am under 65, I now have a Non Immmigrant OA Visa. The enter before date is 3 Dec 2014. I am likely to be spending about 9 months in Thailand this coming year and will probably be back in the UK for the most of November.

I beleive at the end of the first year I can extend this Visa for another year. How and where would I go about doing this? And what sort of documentation will they be asking for?

Thanks in advance for any advice offerred.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the visa is multiple entry. every time that you renter Thailand you get another year permission to stay. So if you leave and renter on 3 Dec 2014 you will get another year. During that year if you want to travel abroad, you will have to purchase a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive. The cost are single, 1000 baht, multiple, 3800 baht. So effectively you get 2 years with a 1 year visa.

If you have single entry visa ( doubt that you do), your options are different and will be explained if you say that that is what you have.

I retired here on an OA visa, my wife is 37 and she is O visa and our daugher age 12 is O visa and we came here April 1st. How and when do I go about extending our visas ? My intention is to live here forever and my goal is to become a permanent resident when I am eligible, the internet indicates after 3 years we may be eligible ?

I retired here on an OA visa, my wife is 37 and she is O visa and our daugher age 12 is O visa and we came here April 1st.  How and when do I go about extending our visas ?  My intention is to live here forever and my goal is to become a permanent resident when I am eligible, the internet indicates after 3 years we may be eligible ?

When does your visa expire? Is wife and child doing border runs every 90 days because they only have multiple entry visas?

You cannot get permanent residency unless you are working here.

If the visa is multiple entry. every time that you renter Thailand you get another year permission to stay. So if you leave and renter on 3 Dec 2014 you will get another year. During that year if you want to travel abroad, you will have to purchase a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive. The cost are single, 1000 baht, multiple, 3800 baht. So effectively you get 2 years with a 1 year visa.

If you have single entry visa ( doubt that you do), your options are different and will be explained if you say that that is what you have.

Thank you for this useful advice. I do infact have the multi entry visa.

One more question. When I re enter just before 3 Dec 2014 will I have to provide any extra documentation, bank statements, medical etc to get the extra year?

If the visa is multiple entry. every time that you renter Thailand you get another year permission to stay.  So if you leave and renter on 3 Dec 2014 you will get another year.  During that year if you want to travel abroad, you will have to purchase a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive.  The cost are single, 1000 baht, multiple, 3800 baht.  So effectively you get 2 years with a 1 year visa.

Thank you for this useful advice. I do infact have the multi entry visa.

One more question. When I re enter just before 3 Dec 2014 will I have to provide any extra documentation, bank statements, medical etc to get the extra year?

Nothing is needed to do your last entry. It will the same as any other one.

Dear Ubonjoe,

Thanks for the response, I guess we are in trouble then cause my wife and daughter went to USA and got re-enterd, as I look now, till Nov 17th, I imagine immigration is closed for the holiday tomorrow so I will go the following day with all our passports.

We all got our Visas in NYC at the same time expiring Feb 25, 2014. I am over 50 so I have an O-A retirement non-immigrant visa and my wife and daughter are O visas non-immigrant. I misunderstood NYC office that my travel would suffice for all our visas as I travel out of Thailand every month.

What do I do now ?

I went to Siam Legal and she was not much help at all, in fact I think I got more misinformation as their rep told me just to go to immigration and get a new re-entry permit and I did not need a new visa.....unitl I pointed out the expiry date cleary written on the visa....and this is a Thai immigration lawyer ?

I plan immediatley after holiday to go to immigration, what do I say and do ?

Since you are on a OA visa your wife and child are not eligible to get dependent extensions from immigration. If they only have single entry visas they will need to get multiple entry non-o visas.

You don't need a re-entry permit because I am certain you have a multiple entry visa.

Hi bonjoe, no, we all have multiple re-entry permits, I am O-A as I stated and wife and daughter are O but all are multiple entry, now what ?

You wife and daughter will have to leave the country every 90 days.

I assume your daughter will be attending school she could get an extension of her own for going to school. Your wife could the get an extension as her caregiver if you can put 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days (first only after that 3 months).

Or if your wife is 50 or over she could an extension based upon retirement and then your daughter as her dependent.

yes I think you are right, I am going to go to our daughters school first and consult them also as it is an expensive school and they were very insistent upon enrolling that they were equipped for visa issues which makes sense since they get a very good financial return from the parents. Thanks for your quick response, I am very grateful.

Our daugher is in school, she is age 12, I guess I will consult the school about the visas for my wife and daugher. NYC office told me that their visas were dependent visas and did not require leaving Thailand.

I agree with ubonjoe. My understanding is that they don't fine children under 15 if they overstay. I hope so as our 6 year old will have overstayed by 3 months when we leave. I am not sure if one of the parents has to be Thai.

I have an OA multi and my wife who is 41 has an O single. At CM immigration they did some paper work where my wife is visiting me. Now, she does not have to leave Thailand every 90 days. This is the third time in 10 years we have had the OA visa and they did the same all the other times. You will have to go back after 30 days to finish the paper work. My advise is go to immigration, I'm sure they want to do the best they can. Here in CM it is best to go to the office at 0745 to get a number. They are always busy so be patient and smile.

This is news to me. I came in on a multiple entry visa at the beginning of October and went to Lao at the beginning of November. I will leave at the beginning of February less than 3 months after I re-entered from Lao.

I will be coming back at the beginning of October 2014. If I understand you correctly, I don't need to get another multiple entry visa to come back in October 2014 as its less than a year since my last entry?

Does that mean that I can stay through to Feb 2015 provided that I report to Immigration or do a border run within 3 months of my entry in October 2014? That is the multiple entry visa is fully extended for a year?

Or have I got it wrong?

Ta

I have an OA multi and my wife who is 41 has an O single.  At CM immigration they did some paper work where my wife is visiting me.  Now, she does not have to leave Thailand every 90 days.  This is the third time in 10 years we have had the OA visa and they did the same all the other times.  You will have to go back after 30 days to finish the paper work.  My advise is go to immigration, I'm sure they want to do the best they can.  Here in CM it is best to go to the office at 0745 to get a number.  They are always busy so be patient and smile.

Do you a OA visa you got from an embassy or consulate or an extension of stay from immigration. It think it is an extension because immigration does not have the authority to do dependent extensions for OA visa entries.

If the visa is multiple entry. every time that you renter Thailand you get another year permission to stay.  So if you leave and renter on 3 Dec 2014 you will get another year.  During that year if you want to travel abroad, you will have to purchase a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive.  The cost are single, 1000 baht, multiple, 3800 baht.  So effectively you get 2 years with a 1 year visa.

This is news to me.  I came in on a multiple entry visa at the beginning of October and went to Lao at the beginning of November.  I will leave at the beginning of February less than 3 months after I re-entered from Lao.

I will be coming back at the beginning of October 2014.  If I understand you correctly, I don't need to get another multiple entry visa to come back in October 2014 as its less than a year since my last entry?

Does that mean that I can stay through to Feb 2015 provided that I report to Immigration or do a border run within 3 months of my entry in October 2014?  That is the multiple entry visa is fully extended for a year?

Or have I got it wrong?

Ta

Do you have a OA visa and getting one year entries or a multiple entry non-o that gives you a 90 day entry?

Both can be used up to the enter before date for another entry. The visa expiration date does not mean that you cannot be in the country after that date.

This is news to me. I came in on a multiple entry visa at the beginning of October and went to Lao at the beginning of November. I will leave at the beginning of February less than 3 months after I re-entered from Lao.

I will be coming back at the beginning of October 2014. If I understand you correctly, I don't need to get another multiple entry visa to come back in October 2014 as its less than a year since my last entry?

Does that mean that I can stay through to Feb 2015 provided that I report to Immigration or do a border run within 3 months of my entry in October 2014? That is the multiple entry visa is fully extended for a year?

Or have I got it wrong?

Ta

Do you have a OA visa and getting one year entries or a multiple entry non-o that gives you a 90 day entry?

Both can be used up to the enter before date for another entry. The visa expiration date does not mean that you cannot be in the country after that date.

I have a multiple entry non-o visa, with the entry date to be before August 2014 as it was issued in Perth in August 2013. So I take it that I can use it for one year of multiple entries provide that I come back to Thailand before August 2014?

As I won't be able to come back until October 2014 I will have to apply for another multiple entry non-o visa?

Thanks for you help

The problem with all this visa stuff is that its very difficult to express the rules clearly so there is always confusion and misinterpretation. Somebody should do a flow chart of the rules or better still an interactive web program (or Android app:) to explain the rules unambiguously. Maybe it already exists? But then there wouldn't be any need for thaivisa. Don't take the last point seriously, I appreciate thaivisa and its a great help to me understanding this strange but lovely country.

• Like 1

I presume based on retirement.

You need to show that you are over 50 years old and often you need to show financials in the form of an income or a certain amount in the bank.

Actual requirements depend a bit on the Thai embassy or consulate where you will be applying. Not sure which one that will be.