Riots in Singapore

chiang mai

I struggled to figure where to post this but it seems to me it is of interest to readers and directly relevant to people living here since Singapore is a popular destination. I was really surprised to read this, the first time in 30 years and was wondering what the underlying motives are and whether this is something we can expect to see more of, it doesn't seem that a road traffic accident alone would be the cause:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25294918

Singapore faces the same problem that many countries such as the UK face, an aging population, low birth rate and the need to import migrant labor, it's easy to imagine a scenario in twenty years time where Romanian labor is rioting or protesting in the UK!

• Like 1

There are two factors in play here, the growing income disparity between the middle and lower classes and simple racism. Singapore hides it's racisim very well but I assure you it is always bubbling away just below the surface.

That's a bit ironic. When I was serviceman posted to Singapore, the western ( Australian, NZ and British ) troops were pretty racist about the locals. Now it seems that the locals are racist against other peoples.

• Like 1

Every country feels the same way on that issue I reckon, Thai's vs Burmese, Middle Eastern countries vs Bangladeshi's, Hong Kong vs Filipina's/Indonesians, USA vs Mexico/S.A's, England vs the Irish and the Welsh. laugh.png

• Like 1

when uncle Lee was in power especially in the early 1960,s ,he had no qualms sending in the british army and the ghurkas to sort out the problems, then he could deny any use of violence by Singapore police, I was serving with 5 ghurka dog company based in Ulu Pandaan, we were putting in 18hour shifts when the malay Chinese street fights were going on in Geylang, there were some real bloody confrontations, all good training for the falls road and the ardoyne in later years

• Like 2

Having also served in Singapore during the mid 80's, I am very surprised that any riots are allowed to occur in the nation. I expect that in order to follow normal practice of the land, that the Singapore government will impose a 'fine' on those caught rioting.

Well it is one 'fine' country! facepalm.gifsmile.png

Edited by CMKiwi

Stupid me....I should have read the BBC article above first. The current PM in Singapore is not other than LKY's son. And like father he will not put up with uncivilised behaviour. I expect that the people involved will be running scared as this PM will back up his words with actions.... Chaingi Prison is not nice and the rotan leaves you scarred for life.

Incidently I believe Changi is how all prisons should be, you go there once and you will do everything to avoid a return 'visit'

• Like 1

Singaporean thinks that they are more intelligent human being which what senior Lee want to have like Aaron human during WWWII,

Have depending on foreigner labour for centuries like Malaysia, Bangaldesh, India , Nepal and now China. Compact space of living and social discriminable was the factors on this riots.

• Like 2

Judging by one of the images, rioting in Singapore means you align the cop cars nicely when overturning them ... and remember not to chew gum or to spit while doing it.

All joking aside, this will divide the rift between the Singaporean Chinese and the working class South Asians, I am afraid.

• Like 1

The riot took place in "Little India" where people congregate to drink and socialize.

Indian laourers, alcohol, something sparks them off ................... torching an ambulance ? Really intelligent.

Those involved will learn the hard way that Singapore ain't like India. The Singaporean Police and Military are very professional. Offenders will be tracked down and dealt with, in accordance with the law. The PM's words are not idle threats.

• Like 2

Singaporean thinks that they are more intelligent human being which what senior Lee want to have like Aaron human during WWWII,

Have depending on foreigner labour for centuries like Malaysia, Bangaldesh, India , Nepal and now China. Compact space of living and social discriminable was the factors on this riots.

Very True, I spent 25 years in Singapore and found the local Chinese population to be most arrogant and socially ignorant even though the younger population were reasonable well educated. It has often been referred to as a benovelent dictatorship to which in many aspects it is.

The disparity of the wealthy middle class and the migrant workers is not in my opinion the crux of this unrest as most migrant workers come to Singapore from regions where work and social conditions are far worse that what they have to tolerate in S'pore, however,I feel that it is the overbearing manner that all immigrant workers are treated including Caucasians by the Chinese overlords.

In my tenure in S'pore in a professional position I was financially well rewarded however hardly a day would pass without some reminder that if you were not a Singaporean then you were to one degree or other a second class citizen. I know little India very well and on Sundays I would avoid the place like the plague as the streets are awash with literately hundreds of Indian, Bangladesh and Arabic nationals ,most of who had menial and low paid jobs.

I feel that this unusual outburst of social unrest is more likely to have been fueled by the perception of social disparity rather than financial disparity. You do not have to peel the skin of the onion too far to find out just how racist this little country is.

• Like 2

when uncle Lee was in power especially in the early 1960,s ,he had no qualms sending in the british army and the ghurkas to sort out the problems, then he could deny any use of violence by Singapore police, I was serving with 5 ghurka dog company based in Ulu Pandaan, we were putting in 18hour shifts when the malay Chinese street fights were going on in Geylang, there were some real bloody confrontations, all good training for the falls road and the ardoyne in later years

The ghurka's were deployed last night.

• Like 1

Very True, I spent 25 years in Singapore and found the local Chinese population to be most arrogant and socially ignorant even though the younger population were reasonable well educated. It has often been referred to as a benovelent dictatorship to which in many aspects it is.

The disparity of the wealthy middle class and the migrant workers is not in my opinion the crux of this unrest as most migrant workers come to Singapore from regions where work and social conditions are far worse that what they have to tolerate in S'pore, however,I feel that it is the overbearing manner that all immigrant workers are treated including Caucasians by the Chinese overlords.

In my tenure in S'pore in a professional position I was financially well rewarded however hardly a day would pass without some reminder that if you were not a Singaporean then you were to one degree or other a second class citizen. I know little India very well and on Sundays I would avoid the place like the plague as the streets are awash with literately hundreds of Indian, Bangladesh and Arabic nationals ,most of who had menial and low paid jobs.

I feel that this unusual outburst of social unrest is more likely to have been fueled by the perception of social disparity rather than financial disparity. You do not have to peel the skin of the onion too far to find out just how racist this little country is.

It appears that a bus driver hit and killed one of the south asians who was walking in the middle of the road. This area of little India is full of low paid labourers who congegate there on the weekends to drink cheap beer. It is something which the authorities have turned a blind eye to as it is one of the few outlets available to them for some sort of entertainment on their one day off a week.

Many of those arrested will be caned and handed long jail terms, many more will be deported. That area of little India will no longer be available to south asian street drinkers and I would say there will be a crack down on any gatherings of imported labour, it can be deemed an illegal assembly if more than 5 persons gather in one place without first obtaining a permit. Expect to see this law used to break up undesireable groups.

Edited by canman
  • Like 1

Seem like a private bus accidentally reversed over an immigrant worker and killed him.

That was the que for a few hundred immigrant workers who had been drinking heavily in the area to start a full scale riot.

Apparently,brawls in Little India are quite commonplace at weekends......but nothing like on this scale.

It seems to be Bangladeshi immigrant workers who are getting the blame for the trouble.

Those caught and arrested can look forward to a pretty uncomfortable future,I am sure.

then tigerair will lose more on ticket sales if tigerair suspended dhaka and india services.

changgi airport will be sidelined further.

better all travellers avoid transit in singapore...let singapore airliners run red...

then tigerair will lose more on ticket sales if tigerair suspended dhaka and india services.

changgi airport will be sidelined further.

better all travellers avoid transit in singapore...let singapore airliners run red...

I disagree, but hopefully you received the message anyway.

Edited by chiang mai

There are two factors in play here, the growing income disparity between the middle and lower classes and simple racism. Singapore hides it's racisim very well but I assure you it is always bubbling away just below the surface.

And not always that far below the surface, either: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/10/15/05/59/singaporean-event-accused-of-racism

The juiciest bit was of course:

One attendee, Anthony Sim, took to his blog to write about his experience, celebrating the atmosphere and applauding organisers.

"It is quite heart-warming to know we are not alone. Everyone of us were on the same page," Sim wrote.

"There were no PRCs, India Indians, Bangla or Pinoys to annoy us."

Those would be the people who "bother" Singaporeans by doing their laundry, looking after their children, doing the work they are too hoity toity to do themselves and generally wiping their backsides for them - for shameful wages, one might add.

• Like 1

I happened upon a blog a couple years ago where Singaporeans were discussing how to treat their maids, it was truely shocking.

No wonder you have to do a course here to learn how to treat a human before you are allowed to hire one.

Singapore is the saudi arabia of SE Asia. Imported workers because the locals are lazy and just want professional placements,

At least the imported immigrant workers are allowed to feel human compared to Saudi.

But in saying that when I was living there a few local singaporeans who were now taxi drivers were disgruntled with construction companies bringing in Chinese workers and replacing them as drivers of heavy vehicles. This small riot is the Tip if the iceberg I think.

Mr Lee will be giving his son some advice for sure.

The ghurka's were deployed last night. sorry I,m over 70 my street fighting days are over,my wardogs have all gone to that big kennel in the sky,the beach is where Sentosa stands today!! nd of course machan stalls on Bugis street