Thai protesters vow to keep up fight despite election plan

webfact

Thai protesters vow to keep up fight despite election plan

BANGKOK, December 9, 2013 (AFP) - Thai anti-government protesters vowed Monday to keep up their fight to overthrow Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra despite her decision to call an election to try to end the kingdom's political crisis.

The demonstrators want to suspend democracy in favour of an unelected "People's Council" and curb the influence of Yingluck's brother Thaksin, a tycoon turned premier who was ousted by royalist generals in a coup seven years ago.

"The movement will keep on fighting. Our goal is to uproot the Thaksin regime. Although the House is dissolved and there will be new elections, the Thaksin regime is still in place," rally leader Suthep Thaugsuban told AFP.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-09

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Protest leaders demand caretaker govt to resign
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Satit Wongnongtaey and Tavorn Senieum, protest leaders at Democracy Monument, demanded the caretaker government to resign following House dissolution.

Satit told protesters that House dissolution was a first victory but was not enough for achieving real democracy and the protests would continue.

He said the People's Democratic Reform Committee wanted the people's council to be formed and the caretaker Cabinet to resign.

Tavorn told Thai PBS that the protesters wanted the caretaker government to resign.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-09

Protest leaders say demonstrators continue to head to Government House despite House dissolution

The Nation
BANGKOK: -- Protest leaders said on TVs that the protests would continue the simultaneous marches to the Government House although the House has been dissolved.
Thai PBS reported quoting the traffic police command as saying that about 50 groups of protesters were heading to the Government House.
The traffic police warned that there would be traffic snarls on 24 main roads, including Sukhumvit and Chaeng Wattana.
nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-09

So if the government resigns, and is replaced by another "caretaker" government until the elections are held, who comprises that caretaker government? I just don't understand how this is supposed to work.

Yingluk will remain as caretaker PM

That's not the way the protesters see it.

Election is the worst case scenarios for the anti government protesters, because, the whole idea for delaying the amnesty bill for 180 day was, to bring it up again, and invest in MORE vote buying which the Democrats can't match..."

POLITICS
Anti-government rallies continue despite House dissolution

The Nation

30221667-02_big.jpg
Photo : TPBS

BANGKOK: -- Thousands of anti-government protesters from all directions on Monday continued their march to the Government House although Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has announced House dissolution.

Leaders of the protests, most of them were former Democrat MPs, said it was too late, the dissolution of the House was now meaningless as Yingluck government is still in the job as interim government.

They reiterated that setting up of ’people’s council’ is necessary to ensure that Thaksin Regime and its servants will not come back.

The protests from eight routes started at 9.39am and headed to the Government House. The main march from the Government Complex that is led by Suthep Thausuban left before the set time as it was the farthest compared to other routes.

The protesters at the Government Complex left the venue at 8.30am. None of protesters were left behind.

Some 50 vehicles joined the procession which had a convoy of motorcyclists in the front. Many people along the way joined the procession as it passed them.

Meanwhile Satit Wongnongtaey and Tavorn Senieum, protest leaders at the Democracy Monument, demanded the caretaker government to resign following House dissolution.

Satit told protesters that House dissolution was a first victory but was not enough for achieving real democracy and the protests would continue.

He said the People’s Democratic Reform Committee wanted the people’s council to be formed and the caretaker Cabinet to resign. Tavorn said the protesters wanted the caretaker government to resign.

Meanwhile hundreds of protesters whose rally site is near at the Government House arrived at the venue and started laying siege.

Yingluck who announced the House dissolution in the morning is at Royal Police Bureau headquarters on Pathumwan Road.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-09

So if the government resigns, and is replaced by another "caretaker" government until the elections are held, who comprises that caretaker government? I just don't understand how this is supposed to work.

You are not alone.I have Thai friends who, though not marching today, are fully supportive of Khun Suthep and the Democrats' actions.Yet they are unsure and confused about the details of proposed next steps.I'm not entirely sure even the leaders have a clear road map.

In other words we are in completely uncharted territory and anyone who claims to know where Thailand is heading and how it will get there shouldn't be trusted.But these waters are also dangerous and Gramsci's famous comment is particularly pertinent.” When the old refuses to die, and the new is struggling to be born, monsters appear"

Edited by jayboy

I see some of those posting must support outrageous levels of corruption, cronyism, criminals, rape of the country to line the pockets of the few extreme elite ........ and on and on...

Yes, and it is not confined to any one person or political party.

• Like 1

What is clear is that the people won't stop now until ties with Thaksin himself have been shattered. That is the reason for the march continuing

They themselves, the protestors in their millions today, are now clear and fully aware that the continued financial rape by the PTP over the last two years, and prior, has been a continuation of one idiot's narcissistic actions.They will now stop at nothing until anybody connected with him is completely ousted and broken, it would appear

Personally, I hope they achieve their aims!

-mel.

You are joking right ? millions ? far from even a 1/10 of one million, The people my friend are not just a few thousand in Bangkok, that is just wishful thinking.

I predict less than 50k at most today now its a reset coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Yingluk will remain as caretaker PM

Dam_n, gotta renew the travel insurance.

You are not alone.I have Thai friends who, though not marching today, are fully supportive of Khun Suthep and the Democrats' actions.Yet they are unsure and confused about the details of proposed next steps.I'm not entirely sure even the leaders have a clear road map.

In other words we are in completely uncharted territory and anyone who claims to know where Thailand is heading and how it will get there shouldn't be trusted.But these waters are also dangerous and Gramsci's famous comment is particularly pertinent.” When the old refuses to die, and the new is struggling to be born, monsters appear"

Hence Thaksin...... Well said Jayboy, I think its the most profound and though provoking comment I have ever read from you.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

I sincerely hope that the PTP have a resounding victory in the elections, again. There has been hardly any input from those supporting the PTP during this fiasco, I bet that will change.

And then see what the Dems will do,again!

There is no more Dems. All have resigned .

Those who did not come out to support, have not been paid and I doubt they ever will be for the rice

• Like 1

What is clear is that the people won't stop now until ties with Thaksin himself have been shattered. That is the reason for the march continuing

They themselves, the protestors in their millions today, are now clear and fully aware that the continued financial rape by the PTP over the last two years, and prior, has been a continuation of one idiot's narcissistic actions.They will now stop at nothing until anybody connected with him is completely ousted and broken, it would appear

Personally, I hope they achieve their aims!

-mel.

You are joking right ? millions ? far from even a 1/10 of one million, The people my friend are not just a few thousand in Bangkok, that is just wishful thinking.

I predict less than 50k at most today now its a reset coffee1.gif

1/10 of one million? I respect your approximation.

But my approximation is closer to 10 millions Thai people in the street right now.

Listen up, people. The Democrat Party does not want an election because they cannot win. They want a people council. I pray to God that this will not happen.

Please tell how it affects you personally or what difference it makes? Not on the paper but in reality