Thai PM calls elections as 100,000 join protests

webfact

100.000 only???

What a loss of face for insane Suthep :)

And the majority were bought from the deep south...

Sorry, "brought" :)

If it's only 100.000 it is a very good news. It means that there are less brainwashed extremists than I thought.

Sound people would never follow or support Suthep in his acts of treason and insurrection.

Whatever the number it is apparently enough to make the government crap its pants.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

100.000 only???

What a loss of face for insane Suthep smile.png

Sorry, "brought" smile.png

If it's only 100.000 it is a very good news. It means that there are less brainwashed extremists than I thought.

Sound people would never follow or support Suthep in his acts of treason and insurrection.

Whatever the number it is apparently enough to make the government crap its pants.

Sure looks a lot different as that stadium the reds hired and could not fill... Almost claiming higher numbers as this total demonstration.

• Like 1

100.000 only???

What a loss of face for insane Suthep smile.png

Sorry, "brought" smile.png

100000 is BS. Protesters are in millions.

• Like 1

CAPO have updated their estimate to 150,000.

Which we may assume is at the extreme low end given that Thaksin's cousin is running it.

Hard to say yet:

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow 44s

3pm BBC World news anchor now saying "tens of thousands" but @JonahFisher immediately corrected her by saying more than 100,000 #Bangkok

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow 34m

Thai journalist @noppatjak: Yep. 100K+ but less than 24 Nov though.

'BP: It is a big, big crowd. These are CAPO numbers too and BP’s rule of thumb from their previous estimates of a much smaller, easier to estimate defined area was that they underestimate by 50%. Hence, applying that we are looking at 225,000 and that may not even be the peak. It will be easier to tell when they converge at Government House as now they are spread into multiple crowds.'

http://asiancorrespondent.com/116982/yingluck-dissolves-parliament-but-will-the-opposition-contest-the-election

Agree with Pundit, not sure when it'll peak though. However, I think we'd do well to bear in mind the wise words of Abhisit back in 2010: “Each side, each political party has a lot of support,” Abhisit said Saturday. “The issue is not about showing numbers or strength in some kind of demonstration. It’s about how we can solve the differences to the best interests of the country.”

Sure looks a lot different as that stadium the reds hired and could not fill... Almost claiming higher numbers as this total demonstration.

To be fair, the reds did fill the stadium before the violence broke out in a big way.

The number of people on the streets today certainly makes the number at Rajamangala stadium look like just a drop in the bucket though.

We need to face the fact that nobody will ever know how many people actually came out in BKK today. Many will continue on to Gov't house, but after the heat of the day and with the logistics of getting there and home I am sure many will return home prior to arriving there.

I am hoping that ThaiPBS and some foreign news outlets that had multiple teams out at the same time covering all 9 routes will come up with a crowd estimate. From near simultaneous pictures from multiple locations along with the descriptions that go with them (such as people have been streaming past here for more than 1 hour) I am hoping that an overall idea of how many people came out can be guessed at.

100,000 on the streets in a country of 50,000,000.

A small minority trying to impose their will on a large majority.

When will Bangkokians learn that Thailand is much bigger than just Bangkok?

Bangkok is not Thailand. It's a part of Thailand.

Only a small minority will ever actively protest in the streets, this is normal, it doesn't mean that this is the ONLY number of people unhappy.

The protests will always take place in Bangkok because that is capital and where the government is based, where do you think it should be held? It is a protest against the Government running the entire country, it is not just a Bangkok people protest.

It doesn't really matter what I think about it all, it is down to the Thai people to sort it out and I have no rights or say on the issue but from what i have seen the anti government protesters seem to have huge support.

zydeco post # 57

Parliament dissolves.

Arrest warrants for protesters denied.

Maybe one million plus in the streets.

The worm has turned.

Methinks that some people Tharit for one might just now be wearing somewhat stained underwear due to incontinence.whistling.gif

No matter what the count is regarding the people on the street, the message being sent in no uncertain manner is, ''Thaksin, your family and your brown nosing acolytes enough is enough.''

To hazard a guess in the upcoming general election any shadow of Thaksin, his family or that of their brown nosing acolytes that may fall upon a candidate or a party may well be the shadow of political death.

100,000 on the streets in a country of 50,000,000.

A small minority trying to impose their will on a large majority.

When will Bangkokians learn that Thailand is much bigger than just Bangkok?

Bangkok is not Thailand. It's a part of Thailand.

Every Provincial Hall in the south of Thailand is currently surrounded by protesters, it's not just a 'Bangkok thing'.

There is a reason why we count votes at elections rather than deciding who governs on the basis of estimates of the size of street demonstrations and counter demonstrations. Abhisit had it right in the quote early in the thread, though he never actually achieved the numbers in the popular vote. Let us hope that it does not come to a red backlash, because I think that, despite the restrained response to date, there is a deep sense of unfairness on the red side. Things look very different in the NE, even among educated middle class people, than in Bangkok and the South.

There is a reason why we count votes at elections rather than deciding who governs on the basis of estimates of the size of street demonstrations and counter demonstrations. Abhisit had it right in the quote early in the thread, though he never actually achieved the numbers in the popular vote. Let us hope that it does not come to a red backlash, because I think that, despite the restrained response to date, there is a deep sense of unfairness on the red side. Things look very different in the NE, even among educated middle class people, than in Bangkok and the South.

Cit ... that does not explain the anti-government rally in Chiang Mai today (or in other "red" cities)

I agree that a backlash is a risk. It is one reason why an end to this madness has to be in the form of real REFORM. The only way we get that with elections is to have a Unity government agreed upon before the elections.

The other 2 options seem to be coup, or civil strife of significant magnitude.

• Like 1

RT @tulsathit: RT @Gmontadaro: Pictures of protesters in #Bangkok. pic.twitter.com/HYwUUZlxMA ” via @richardbarrow

That is a lot of people

edit-- full link here to the photos from @richardbarrow

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/409947855931977728/photo/1

This was posted in response to the 5,000,000 claim.

Edited by jdinasia

This evening Suthep will declare a new "victory" to his bunch of naive followers.
What victory, it's difficult to find one, but he will surely have some insanity to bark at his exhilarated (and "educated") crowd, we can rest assured giggle.gif

In the meantime, PT will start to work at the next general elections, in which they will, as usual, be victorious again.

So, the next "upgrade" for Suthep and the Dems is to make everything they can to avoid the next elections.
That's going to be fun too laugh.png
Next protest: Say NO to elections !!!

So far, the government is doing no mistake, by eliminating one by one the silly pretexts used by Suthep and the Dems to gain power undemocratically.
After this, what are these insane people going to protest for?
What about more portable toilets in the gardens of the Government House?

biggrin.png

Cit ... that does not explain the anti-government rally in Chiang Mai today (or in other "red" cities)

I agree that a backlash is a risk. It is one reason why an end to this madness has to be in the form of real REFORM. The only way we get that with elections is to have a Unity government agreed upon before the elections.

The other 2 options seem to be coup, or civil strife of significant magnitude.

@ jdinasia - I can tell you in the last eight years that I know of, four years visiting Chiang Mai often, and the past four years living there, it is not the "red" city it used to be. People are not afraid to voice their disdain of Thaksin or his equally corrupt family. Times have changed ! biggrin.png

I neither support The Reds or the Yellows, but really can people count. I think that there is at least more than a million people on the streets today. was taking the bts to check out the turnouts and God! At Silom, Sukhumvit and Saphan Kwai etc the crowds were enormous.

Those TV members who are pro red......why do u guys just don your red shorts and go out and tell ur views to the protesters.

Firstly because the Yellows are not interested in free speech and free debate, secondly because I am a foreigner and expressing my views on TV and in the pub are my only outlets - quite properly the Thai people should decide, thirdly because I would fear for my safety - I'd rather be a Millwall supporter at West Ham than get involved with some of those i saw this morning.

It is my understanding that the people of Thailand still have their sovereignty but if The Mouth from the South gets his way it will be taken from the people and put into the hands of a few selected men. Who you can bet will all be Hi-So Thais from Bangkok plus "wonder of wonders" Suthep himself. Then what will life hold for the poorer people of 'anywhere' above Bangkok. xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.g6eSBeV0mM.w alt=whistling.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3700464609 width=19 height=18>

Nice expression 'the mouth from the South'

It is unfortunate that the poor outnumber the rich in Thailand. so unless they adopt an 18th Century British voting system where only the rich can vote, we are destined to have the reds in charge. It's a bit of a bugga this democracy malarkey isn't it?

As for the corruption issue, well the corruption is where the money is and that is predominately in the yellow camp. So democracy wins really, until a handful of people take to the streets.

What a to-do.

I don't think Taksin is any more corrupt than anyone else who is rich and powerful, his mistake was to upset the wrong people.

Edited by AllanB