Red Shirt Angry About me Wearing Yellow...

Lancelot

The pink shirts now are the newest trend. That is another color you will never see me in.

I started that trend back in '06. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

Seriously, this human obsession with colours (skin, t-shits, etc)... I wish we had the same level of preoccupation with air quality and other life-threatening issues.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...(shorts generally for men) and sandals really aren't appropriate in Thailand except around the pool...

I've seen this repeated so many times its a joke.

No shorts or sandles for men? So why do Robinson stock shorts and sandles if people aren't buying.

I see many Thai men, rich and poor, wearing shorts and sandles. Its perfectly acceptable. Its not for smart occasions when a man should put on some shoes and trousers, but for everyday casualwear its fine.

Unless you have those veins.

Mapguy would have had a point - back in 1910.

a3b5efb887ce369637043344151434b41716b42.

• Like 2

...(shorts generally for men) and sandals really aren't appropriate in Thailand except around the pool...

I've seen this repeated so many times its a joke.

No shorts or sandles for men? So why do Robinson stock shorts and sandles if people aren't buying.

I see many Thai men, rich and poor, wearing shorts and sandles. Its perfectly acceptable. Its not for smart occasions when a man should put on some shoes and trousers, but for everyday casualwear its fine.

Unless you have those veins.

Mapguy would have had a point - back in 1910.

a3b5efb887ce369637043344151434b41716b42.

biggrin.png Funny one, UG! If short shorts fit your occupation or your figure, go for it !! rolleyes.gif

i think with what's going on it's plain stupid wearing a yellow shirt in 'red country' and is asking for trouble

It's like going to a Hell's Angel gathering in a pink blouse with 'gay rights' written all over it

It might apply if you were a young Thai but as a not so young Farang I've never had a problem wearing yellow and I have 2 or 3 polos and a shirt or two of that colour. Most Thais aren't going to interpret a Farang's choice of clothing as politically motivated. My wife and a Thai friend both complimented me tonight on my mostly yellow shirt and that isn't usual! Edited by Chiengmaijoe

i think with what's going on it's plain stupid wearing a yellow shirt in 'red country' and is asking for trouble

It's like going to a Hell's Angel gathering in a pink blouse with 'gay rights' written all over it

It might apply if you were a young Thai but as a not so young Farang I've never had a problem wearing yellow and I have 2 or 3 polos and a shirt or two of that colour. Most Thais aren't going to interpret a Farang's choice of clothing as politically motivated. My wife and a Thai friend both complimented me tonight on my mostly yellow shirt and that isn't usual!

Well said! I'm not young, I am not Thai and my shirt said Retirement :)

My favorite red shirt, vintage April 2008. A short time after visiting all h-ll broke lose. Need to buy a new shirt as this one is showing its age. BTW I wear the shirt where every I want to have had nothing but complements from the Thais

.{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 012.jpg

Is they reds handing out those shirts in 08?

Most Thais I know would be too polite to say anything but would certainly think you were either an idiot or a at the very least ignorant to the meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My favorite red shirt, vintage April 2008. A short time after visiting all h-ll broke lose. Need to buy a new shirt as this one is showing its age. BTW I wear the shirt where every I want to have had nothing but complements from the Thais

.http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif 012.jpg

Is they reds handing out those shirts in 08?

Most Thais I know would be too polite to say anything but would certainly think you were either an idiot or a at the very least ignorant to the meaning.

No reds at Phra Viharn..

I have never and never would wear yellow. It is not a color I wear. When it was the vogue and standard to wear yellow on Monday, I still didn't do it.

I would not wear it now in Bangkok. In CM you should be safe but still why risk the controversy.

I do wonder if the Red Shirt Protester was drunk.

I personally think that yellow and red colored shirts should just not be worn at all right now.

The Red Shirt guy didn't appear drunk. If I had barged into a Red Shirt rally wearing a yellow shirt, then yeah, I can understand confrontation.

I was just walking down an almost deserted soi and the guy made an issue about it. I didn't even see him until he yelled at me.

Most likely the guy was having a bad day and he vented on me.

Just one idiot in years of wearing yellow every Monday. That's really a great sign of how chilled things are in reality.

Chances are he was having an off day or was under the influence and was yelling at you just because you are a farong in his alley

You don't have to be drunk to have your thoughts change or be a little bit moire aggressive.

Someone should promote a half-red half-yellow shirt as the symbol of new Thailand.

I have T-shirts of all colors even one with red and yellow...but in today's political conflicts I try to avoid red and yellow for the time being.....just imagine anti-government protesters at CMU, such incident never heard of in the past...

Op, do not try to ascertain as to why this person was angry... just consider how you might react with a large part of your brain missing.

Jackr you are making my point for me. In the past foreigners were mostly given the benefit of doubt and not confronted over trivial issues. Now there are many locals that are unable or unwilling to think critically and therein lies the problem. They are easily led and manipulated. Since I was personally confronted, I now think Hmmm, how will the ongoing political tensions affect me?

Yeah, probably a one off and if a friend from abroad were to ask me if its safe to visit, I would answer in the affirmative, but caution them on their attire.

We live in interesting times :)

I love all the guys that respect this, respect that, but can't be bothered to learn the language.

How much is their respect really worth?

Not sure where you are coming from, but yes I speak Thai, although I am far from fluent. My reading and writing skills need improving but that is an ongoing effort- I can make the locals laugh when I read the newspaper :)

Sine I am the foreigner here, I feel it is my responsibility to get along and fit in. I view those actions as being respectful to the locals, but obviously some posters disagree :)

For the present in these turbulent Times in Thailand, I would not advise wearing red or yellow.

From a distance even a farang could be mistaken for a Thai and end up with a bullet in his back or run over by a drunk truck.driver with a grudge. My wife informed me that yesterday on one of the Thai TV news channels she saw a farang man sitting on a pick up with the yellow shirts wearing a yellow shirt, so it appears he wasn`t just a member of the press or a TV reporter.

I think it`s only common sense, better safe than to take the risk and also to warn your wives and families of the same.

And for those who particularly want to make the point that they are not going to be told what to do or not what to wear, I recommend the shirts pictured below:

post-110219-0-34294900-1386668135_thumb.

post-110219-0-45705000-1386668146_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

About 10 days ago was about to head to Chiang Mai Immigration for extension. Pull out my packet of passport-style photos for application, all I have left are those of me in a heavy gold-yellow T-shirt. Before entering office stopped at vendor, had new photos snapped -- wearing a nice *neutral tone*. The gold-yellow stays in the closet, these days.

Yeah, right, you would assume they would think, no-nothing farang. But no. No point in offering yourself up for participation in the nonsense and maybe coming in contact with the dummies. And, considering this is (relatively speaking) THE major issue now, there is an argument to be made that you are asking for it. Going out of your way to make a statement, meddle -- and make yourself a target. Especially up this way, the CM hood.

• Like 1

I call BS.

With so many yellow shirt supports here - how do we know you are not just trying to besmirch the red shirts?

I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, but I'd put my money on it not happening.

Why? From personal experience, I have worn "enemy" colors before in the presence of these opposing political parties, and they could care less. I asked my wife (GF) at the time about the dangers of it and she said not to worry - Thais are aware of the lack of awareness falangs have to their color coded strife.

Again, I could be wrong. But I just don't believe the OPs story.

• Like 1

About 2 years or so back, my lovely Thai wife stopped me from leaving the house one day in my yellow polo shirt with 09 on the sleeve, representing the King, and told me to change. I asked why. She told me that since I am about the same size as the average Thai man, and with black baseball cap on, I could be mistaken for a Thai Yellow Shirt, and her in Chiang Mai, that could be dangerous. I took her advice, which is rare, and changed. Haven't worn it since.

• Like 1

I was wearing a red polo shirt the day that Ramkamhaeng went to hell, and i live next to the university. It was dark when i got home and they were just starting to form the road blocks and luckily we went on a road that had no road block. Nobody said anything to me that day but i've stopped wearing red since. After reading about the taxi's and buses that were smashed up at the road bloacks i guess i was pretty lucky to avoid the "mob mentality." Even though i'm clearly a farang i can't help but think that they would have destroyed the taxi i was in.