Red Shirt Angry About me Wearing Yellow...

Lancelot

Today as I was walking down a neighbor hood soi a Thai guy in a Red Shirt and Red headband called out to me: Yellow Shirt! At first I thought he was commenting about my wearing yellow on Monday, but when I nodded at him he was clearly angry, raised his voice and said NO! I made no reply and that was the end of it.

Respecting local customs I sometimes wear a yellow shirt on Monday and never gave a thought about offending anyone. The shirt in question is in no way political; it has the web address of an early retirement website hosted by a friend of mine. As I understand it, His Majesty was born on Monday and many Thais wore yellow to show their respect.

I've lived in Thailand through all of the political turmoil since before 2005 and this is the first time a Thai has confronted me about the ongoing political turmoil. I make a point of staying away from political demonstrations because its a Thai problem that does not concern me. I suppose I was at the wrong place at the wrong time or maybe the guy was off his medication.

Walking back to my room I did notice a couple of Thais wearing yellow shirts but they were plain or had the emblem respecting the monarchy.

Any way, just a word to the wise :)

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never and never would wear yellow. It is not a color I wear. When it was the vogue and standard to wear yellow on Monday, I still didn't do it.

I would not wear it now in Bangkok. In CM you should be safe but still why risk the controversy.

I do wonder if the Red Shirt Protester was drunk.

I personally think that yellow and red colored shirts should just not be worn at all right now.

The Red Shirt guy didn't appear drunk. If I had barged into a Red Shirt rally wearing a yellow shirt, then yeah, I can understand confrontation.

I was just walking down an almost deserted soi and the guy made an issue about it. I didn't even see him until he yelled at me.

Most likely the guy was having a bad day and he vented on me.

I have never and never would wear yellow. It is not a color I wear. When it was the vogue and standard to wear yellow on Monday, I still didn't do it.

I would not wear it now in Bangkok. In CM you should be safe but still why risk the controversy.

I personally think that yellow and red colored shirts should just not be worn at all right now.

The Red Shirt guy didn't appear drunk. If I had barged into a Red Shirt rally wearing a yellow shirt, then yeah, I can understand confrontation.

I was just walking down an almost deserted soi and the guy made an issue about it. I didn't even see him until he yelled at me.

Most likely the guy was having a bad day and he vented on me.

Probably just tired and grumpy from his trip back from Ayutthaya. Edited by Songhua

What I find interesting is that no one wore yellow shirts to support the king 15 years ago. It wasn't until his anniversary as king in 2004? that it became popular.

I also think that it is silly for foreigners to wear yellow to support the king. I respect the king, I admire the king and even love the king, but I don't think it is all that important to wear yellow shirts. No one in my family ever wore yellow in their life so why start?

The pink shirts now are the newest trend. That is another color you will never see me in.

I know an elderly Farang drunk who tends to wear a yellow shirt, the old design too with the emblem. Looks ridiculous. Just like Farangs wearing Farmer's shirts outside of Songkran, or very visible Buddha amulets.

I don't mind a nice shirt in a very light / striped pink though, without emblems or slogans. I don't own anything in a very bright red, which is a silly color to wear unless you're playing football or burning down shopping malls.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Haven't worn yellow since 2008. I'm not an idiot. The colour yellow was hijacked by a violent mob to try to convince people that their cause was a good one.

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone wear a yellow shirt on a Monday. It just doesn't happen anymore.

And no, I don't love Thaksin.

• Like 1

Haven't worn yellow since 2008. I'm not an idiot. The colour yellow was hijacked by a violent mob to try to convince people that their cause was a good one.

Well, that side changes colors more often than a herd of chameleons, theoretically making yellow okay again. Especially in a tasteful shade.

I bought a whole bunch of yellow shirts a few years ago and I wear them all the time. I am wearing one right now. No one has bothered me about it so far, but if things heat up more, I might have to be more careful about what I put on in the morning.

I think it was just one of those weird things that happen. I've worn my yellow shirt with the royal emblem before to Immigration, DLT and I was always treated respectfully. I posted this to let others know about my experience and to be aware...

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone wear a yellow shirt on a Monday. It just doesn't happen anymore.

I see Thais wearing yellow shirts on Mondays. It does happen now and frequently.

• Like 1

I see Thais wearing yellow shirts on Mondays. It does happen now.

What I find interesting is that no one wore yellow shirts to support the king 15 years ago. It wasn't until his anniversary as king in 2004? that it became popular.

I also think that it is silly for foreigners to wear yellow to support the king. I respect the king, I admire the king and even love the king, but I don't think it is all that important to wear yellow shirts. No one in my family ever wore yellow in their life so why start?

The pink shirts now are the newest trend. That is another color you will never see me in.

And I think its silly for you to inform us that no one in your family has ever worn shirts in the color yellow.

Here is a dime, go call some one who cares :)

• Like 2

Most likely the guy was having a bad day and he vented on me. 

Just one idiot in years of wearing yellow every Monday. That's really a great sign of how chilled things are in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It is preposterous to get caught up in a "color of the shirt" situation. I don't doubt OP's encounter. Some thoughtless or ill-educated politicized people can be confrontational, especially if they are well-oiled on a few brews or trying to impress friends. The best tactic, if the "wrong" color has been worn, is to smile and move on. Quickly, as might be indicated by circumstances.

I am not going to recommend any particular color, but I will suggest that both male and female foreigners wear appropriate dress that covers the body sufficiently. Singlets, string straps, short shorts (shorts generally for men) and sandals really aren't appropriate in Thailand except around the pool or (Gasp!) at locations of dubious repute!